Star Wars (1977 - present)

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I'm not going to write it off completely - I will watch it. But the whole thing feels very off. Beyond a couple of neat visuals, the trailer has no hook or moment of uber-coolness that makes me excited for it. Just some weird, quirky stuff and some nice costumes. It genuinely feels like fan-fiction to me.

If Howard has pulled this off, then he is a hero. But, by the looks of it, I think they would have been best of scrapping the whole thing once problems started revealing themselves. I don't say this lightly, and I know it's not gonna happen anyway, but if this film turns out to be rubbish then I hope it doesn't make big bank at the box office.

This is a beloved property and in this case also a beloved character, and the whole production was a shambles and completely underserving of its worth. More care needs to be afforded by Disney for these things and IF it ends up being a shambles then it might give them a kick in the arse, especially coupled with The Last Jedi backlash.

But, you never know. Stranger things have happened. Maybe the two trailers were just badly cut and the film may end up being alright.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'm still not sold on Alden Ehrenreich. He looks good but his deliveries are just flat. He doesn't do it for me.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    This will be like Justice League- not amazing but not crap either. Just fun IMO.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I saw the Holiday Special mentioned a page or two back. It is not canon since the Disney buyout, but characters from it have been introduced into canon through the Aftermath Trilogy of books, specifically Chewie's wife and son.

It annoys me, but them's the breaks.
    solo_a_star_wars_story_ver17_xlg.jpg

The poster has a Thor Ragnorok vibe going on. Not sure yet if it will be a cinema visit or not?
    I'll wait and see. Not excited though. Star Wars is dying a little bit with each new movie. Star Wars is becoming like the Marvel movies. Every year there is something.

Still haven't seen Dr.$trange, The Plack Panther or the new Thor. Star Wars might just become like that; wait a few years untill they air on the telly, or wait a bit longer if there's something else on.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    SharkBait wrote: »
    I'll wait and see. Not excited though. Star Wars is dying a little bit with each new movie. Star Wars is becoming like the Marvel movies. Every year there is something.

Still haven't seen Dr.$trange, The Plack Panther or the new Thor. Star Wars might just become like that; wait a few years untill they air on the telly, or wait a bit longer if there's something else on.

That's how both of them got for me: the more they were putting out, the less interested I became. I can already tell the future of Star Wars is going to be oversaturated, beaten to death and have nothing on offer for me, at least until any new trilogies, and even then who knows. Can't say I've been excited for any of their announcements. Maybe I'll catch some of them years in the future, but I'm not rushing with my wallet out to see any of it.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

Thor Ragnarok is the one I recommend you see. Great film and a laugh a minute.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 2,107
    Not a huge Marvel fan. I only go to see the Spiderman films.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Creasy47 wrote: »

That's how both of them got for me: the more they were putting out, the less interested I became. I can already tell the future of Star Wars is going to be oversaturated, beaten to death and have nothing on offer for me, at least until any new trilogies, and even then who knows. Can't say I've been excited for any of their announcements. Maybe I'll catch some of them years in the future, but I'm not rushing with my wallet out to see any of it.

Recently, I loved Winter Soldier. Civil War was pretty darn good. Spider-Man Homecoming was not quite there for me, and honestly made me watch all the Rami movies all over again (love them), Thor Ragnarok tested my patience (I actually liked Justice League a LOT more). Black Panther was very good, but not the absolute best of them as the box office would make it seem (It's more of a cultural phenomenon thing), and although I will see Infinity Wars, I must admit to near burnout. I say this to underscore the fact that as far as burnout goes concerning SW, I'm already there. Yeah, I *might* see Solo if my Son makes me- otherwise it's a rental. Likewise with episode 9.
    Beating the cow and milking the horse to death... ;)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Solo: A Star Wars Story to clock at around 2 hours and 15 minutes.
    I wonder if this will/could be the first SW movie without the presense of the force? Obviously this is a key part of the whole narative but, released from this, it could allow Solo to be much closer to the "B" movie spirit of Raiders. The reliance on a blaster in a holster provides the way for a Western style adventure? without the fairy tale/religious overtones getting in the way.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    patb wrote: »
    I wonder if this will/could be the first SW movie without the presense of the force? Obviously this is a key part of the whole narative but, released from this, it could allow Solo to be much closer to the "B" movie spirit of Raiders. The reliance on a blaster in a holster provides the way for a Western style adventure? without the fairy tale/religious overtones getting in the way.

I don't think the Force will be completely absent, but I don't think there will be any Force users.
    In A New Hope, Han mentions that he doesn’t buy that ‘nonsense’.
    It’ll probably get talked about, like a religion, but not seen.
    Him not buying it means that he had no seen anything to convince him up to then so we have to see him as a non-believer with no examples of the force. I think this could be a good thing and offer the chance of a more straight forward story
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

And I wonder if it will be the first without C-3PO and R2-D2.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself

And I wonder if it will be the first without C-3PO and R2-D2.

They’ll find a way to shoe horn them in ROGUE ONE style don’t worry
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    They surely will
    I hope so.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 2,107
    Accorring to my calculations there's a high probability they will have a small cameo.

After all, what would Star Wars be without our lovable duo. I hope they throw BB8 there for good measure
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    In time frame of Solo: A Star Wars Cash in R2 and C3PO are with Bail Organa, we may see the droids baby sitting Princess Leia
    I wanna see VADER.
    Nothing more than a cameo- but I want just something to show what a horror he to ‘normal’ people in the galaxy
    (Meaning not Jedi, Rebels, etc)
    I wanna see VADER.
    Nothing more than a cameo- but I want just something to show what a horror he to ‘normal’ people in the galaxy

I am with you there. Despite Hayden, coolest character in all of SW.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    I wanna see VADER.

I am with you there. Despite Hayden, coolest character in all of SW.

To me, it’s the reason I watch star wars
    Palpatine is right behind.
    I have a really good feeling about this, too.
    More that I think of it, this might be quite entertaining. But Disney needs to stop oversaturating the market at some point.
    More that I think of it, this might be quite entertaining. But Disney needs to stop oversaturating the market at some point.

Won't be any time soon, with them planning more spin-offs, two new trilogies, and some TV series/movies for their new streaming service. It's only going to get more and more oversaturated.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Disney is attempting a hostile takeover of the world of cinema.