Star Wars (1977 - present)

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Looks promising, Howard may have pulled off a miracle. He re-shot over 80% of what had been filmed. I’ll give it a chance.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Looks decent. May go see it with my friends.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    solo_a_star_wars_story_ver17_xlg.jpg
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    After watching that trailer it's the first Star Wars film I won't make any effort to watch at the cinema

Me neither. I'm not really sure what other people are seeing here but it looks horrendous to me. Cheap, miscasted and lacking any sort of punch. I'll wait for the home release.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    I totally agree with @Fire_and_Ice_Returns and @CraigMooreOHMSS.
  • RC7RC7
    He’s just not Solo, though, is he?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Every line of dialogue he utters has a bit of cringe to me. Guy's definitely not Solo, feels like a cheap imitation of him.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited April 2018 Posts: 5,869
    I thoroughly enjoyed this trailer and I'm actually quite excited for the film :) I think people have to realize that they won't be happy whoever was cast. If it's not Harrison Ford, it's not gonna work to your expectations. That seems to be the thought process. I have to say, in my opinion, this film looks so much better than The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi.

I also think there's a bit of a bandwagon situation going on. A lot of the reactions I've seen have had people trashing the film before they've watch the trailer or the film. It seems to be "everyone else thinks the films gonna be terrible, so I think it's gonna be terrible." Rogue One is a perfect example of a film with a lot of behind the scenes drama that ended up being a great film (in my opinion) so patience my friends.
    I'd agree to an extent given the fact that I just thought a Han Solo prequel story was a terrible idea from the get go, and an unnecessary one, at that. It doesn't look good to me. I've gotten quickly burnt out on this franchise once Disney took over and started churning these out.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    After watching that trailer it's the first Star Wars film I won't make any effort to watch at the cinema

Me neither. I'm not really sure what other people are seeing here but it looks horrendous to me. Cheap, miscasted and lacking any sort of punch. I'll wait for the home release.
    Walecs wrote: »
    I totally agree with @Fire_and_Ice_Returns and @CraigMooreOHMSS.

It feels very awkward and agree it looks cheap, I still feel the film is totally unnecessary.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    They should've gotten Anthony Ingruber for Solo. Case closed. ;)
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited April 2018 Posts: 5,869
    Why does it need to be necessary? If that's the case then The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi are unnecessary, many arguments could be why we don't need to see what happens to Luke, Leia and Han many years later but they still did it for the sake of another franchise. At least with this it fits with the prequel anthology series.

I don't understand. Why can't films be made purely for entertainment anymore?

And @ClarkDevlin, I don't think that would've been an option. Why get someone whose already played a young Harrison Ford, and someone whose just gonna do an impression of Ford rather than try and represent the character and give it a new fresh take.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited April 2018 Posts: 15,423
    Satisfy the fans. What else? ;)

In my opinion, that should've been the way to go since this one took place in the original continuity rather than establishing an alternate one. It would contradict the timeline of the original Star Wars trilogy, wouldn't it?

But, if it had been a reboot, I wouldn't have endorsed an imitation but supported the fresh take.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited April 2018 Posts: 23,395
    DVUX5gqVwAAwsKH.jpg:large

Seeing Chewbacca's wife in the trailer, is Star Wars Holiday Special Now Cannon?

Will we see Lumpy?
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Both the girlfriend and her daughter want to see it, so I'll be going regardless. However, I'd like to reiterate that I'm going in with the lowest expectations possible. If it's even halfway decent I'll be happy and the trailer doesn't look like complete garbage so I guess that's a plus.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    While I’m unsure of the lead, this looks like a fun, stand alone adventure.
    Seeing Chewbacca's wife in the trailer, is Star Wars Holiday Special Now Cannon?

It has been canon since The Empire Strikes Back. Bobba Fett made his first appearance in the Holiday Special.
    Gerard wrote: »

It has been canon since The Empire Strikes Back. Bobba Fett made his first appearance in the Holiday Special.

I thought Disney wiped it from Cannon, well it is God awful
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2018 Posts: 23,883
    The Chewie female is pretty cringy but otherwise the trailer looks ok to me. Not great, but not horrid either. It basically appears to be what I expected. I'll probably check it out in the theatre, but I can't say I'm overly enthused. I have faith in Ron Howard though, and John Powell should deliver something different yet memorable in the score department. So I'm somewhat hopeful it won't be a complete disaster.
  • RC7RC7
    Is it reasonable to assume that there may be some kids out there who know Han only from TFA and now latterly this spin off?
    RC7 wrote: »
    Is it reasonable to assume that there may be some kids out there who know Han only from TFA and now latterly this spin off?

I'm sure there is, it wouldn't surprise me. Would be a shame if that's the case.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited April 2018 Posts: 3,157
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Why does it need to be necessary? If that's the case then The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi are unnecessary, many arguments could be why we don't need to see what happens to Luke, Leia and Han many years later but they still did it for the sake of another franchise. At least with this it fits with the prequel anthology series.

Movies should be made only when they have an interesting story to tell. Maybe Solo does, but I doubt it. We'll see, but if the story is not interesting, the movie won't be entertaining.

• DenbighDenbigh UK

Movies should be made only when they have an interesting story to tell. Maybe Solo does, but I doubt it. We'll see, but if the story is not interesting, the movie won't be entertaining.

I understand that completely, but most of the negativity towards Solo seems to be coming from the casting decisions and behind the scenes drama rather than because it's not an "interesting story" so I don't see why it could be seen as unnecessary.

But regardless my frustration is coming more from this bandwagon effect that seems to be happening. So many trailer reactions I've watched have had people sulking and wining before the trailer has even begun. It's quite frustrating.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited April 2018 Posts: 9,117

I understand that completely, but most of the negativity towards Solo seems to be coming from the casting decisions and behind the scenes drama rather than because it's not an "interesting story" so I don't see why it could be seen as unnecessary.

But regardless my frustration is coming more from this bandwagon effect that seems to be happening. So many trailer reactions I've watched have had people sulking and wining before the trailer has even begun. It's quite frustrating.

It also might have something to do with the product they are currently serving up is very poor and people's lack of faith in Disney and where they are heading.

You're only as good as your last film so by that rationale Disney are a shambles.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

It also might have something to do with the product they are currently serving up is very poor and people's lack of faith in Disney and where they are heading.

You're only as good as your last film so by that rationale Disney are a shambles.

I do agree that but I personally believe the main Star Wars sequel trilogy is where they're going wrong and these anthology films are the best produce of these Disney Star Wars films. So have faith in Solo!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

I do agree that but I personally believe the main Star Wars sequel trilogy is where they're going wrong and these anthology films are the best produce of these Disney Star Wars films. So have faith in Solo!
    True Rogue One is way better than episodes VII or VIII. And to be fair that latest Solo trailer doesn't seem utterly awful.

My expectations are still extremely low though.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

True Rogue One is way better than episodes VII or VIII. And to be fair that latest Solo trailer doesn't seem utterly awful.

My expectations are still extremely low though.

I'm not a huge fan of the posters or the title design, feel like they should've stuck to the 'Rogue One' style. It suits the tone better than what they have. The design they have at the moment feels like it suits a animated spin-off for Disney XD better.
    The trailer is better than I'd expected. My hopes are somewhat raised, but I still don't know whether I'll see it in theaters or wait for home release.
    edited April 2018 Posts: 40,490
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I'm so much more excited for the new character, Enfys Nest, now that it's been announced she is a female. Let's hope it works out better than Captain Phasma. The design is already so much more cooler, I really hope it's an asian actress in the role, would be such a good choice :D

This is one of my favourite shots in the trailer. The composition, the color grading, the design. I'm in love.

Screen_Shot_2018_04_08_at_9.01.15_PM.png