Star Wars (1977 - present)

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    From what I can hear, I'm loving Powell's score. Truly. A bit Bondian with that rising motif.

Not a bad trailer. Love the flick of the holster catch too. Vintage Solo.

Not sure about this one still but obviously will give it a chance.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 4,813
    The whole trailer is now out

solo-a-star-wars-story-trailer.png?resize=700%2C293

https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/solo-watch-thrilling-new-trailer-for-star-wars-spinoff-w516341

Still cautiously optimistic. If nothing else, it could be plain old FUN.

I'm actually glad he's not just doing a literal Harrison Ford impression, because that's EXACTLY what we would have gotten if they cast Anthony Ingruber. So many people wanted him cast as Han but it would have been cool for a minute and gotten old fast.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    He looks more like Benicio del Toro.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California

Yesterday’s little teaser inspired some hope, but now I’m back to being uninterested in this film.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I've warmed to pretty much everyone except Han.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Oh okay I guess I'll see it.... ;)
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    If I pretend the film is about a character called Son Halo It's works better for me, despite my negativity toward a Han movie, it's Star Wars so I'll go and watch it at the cinema.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    I mean... I suppose it has potential. I'm still going into it as a skeptic. That way, anything halfway decent will be a pleasant surprise.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,883
    pachazo wrote: »
    I mean... I suppose it has potential. I'm still going into it as a skeptic. That way, anything halfway decent will be a pleasant surprise.
    Sort of the way I'll be approaching the next Bond film after an unpleasant turn the last time around.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited February 2018 Posts: 15,423
    I'm actually glad he's not just doing a literal Harrison Ford impression, because that's EXACTLY what we would have gotten if they cast Anthony Ingruber. So many people wanted him cast as Han but it would have been cool for a minute and gotten old fast.
    Why people are always against this idea I'll never know. Not trying to be prude or anything but, it would've made sense to cast Ingruber as Han Solo on condition he'll do it all like Harrison Ford, because they kept selling us on the idea it's set in the same continuity as the original Star Wars and even went as far to put a CGI Peter Cushing and Carrie Fisher in Rogue One. He's playing the character like somebody else which would really issue in a personality difference.

People also complained when Brandon Routh emulated Christopher Reeve in Superman Returns.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The idea of a YouTube impersonator playing a young version of an iconic film character in a prequel sounds even worse to me, and I'm not big on this Ehrenreich guy at all. For me personally, there's really no angle they could've gone with I would've loved, because the idea of a Han Solo backstory in the first place is unnecessary and uninteresting to me. Cue the same thoughts for the inevitable Obi-Wan spinoff.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    bondjames wrote: »
    pachazo wrote: »
    Sort of the way I'll be approaching the next Bond film after an unpleasant turn the last time around.

I hear you, @bondjames. I sincerely hope everyone brings their A game and Craig has a great sendoff. Don't give up all hope after one disappointment, even if it was a big one.
    As for Solo, I'm not sure anyone really knows what to expect.
    @pachazo, I'm quietly confident that B25 will put to rest all my reservations since SP. At least I hope so!

I'm actually looking forward to Solo based on the trailer. Like you I have zero (to negative) expectations so I'm sure it will end up being ok.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

People also complained when Brandon Routh emulated Christopher Reeve in Superman Returns.
    I had no problem at all with that.
    I have one free movie ticket. I'll use it for this movie. I have zero expectations...But it looks fun-ish..
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I had no problem at all with that.
    Neither did I.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    The idea of a YouTube impersonator playing a young version of an iconic film character in a prequel sounds even worse to me,

Ingruber wasn't just a Youtube impersonator. He played a young version of Ford in The Age of Adaline. His impression was far better than this new guy.
    AA_PRO_Anthony.png
    edited February 2018 Posts: 40,459
    It just never ends. The showrunners of Game of Thrones are now set to write and produce a new set of films for the series:

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/star-wars-game-of-thrones-new-films-david-benioff-db-weiss-1202689489/
    Indeed mor Star Wars

http://www.gamesradar.com/a-new-star-wars-movie-series-is-coming-from-the-game-of-thrones-co-creators-heres-what-we-know/

You almost wish Disney took over from EON, these ridiculous long periods between movies is rather annoying.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Indeed mor Star Wars

http://www.gamesradar.com/a-new-star-wars-movie-series-is-coming-from-the-game-of-thrones-co-creators-heres-what-we-know/

You almost wish Disney took over from EON, these ridiculous long periods between movies is rather annoying.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Indeed mor Star Wars

Part of me would prefer that as I actually enjoyed TFA, Rogue One and TLJ. At the same time though I had some problems with TFA (too many callbacks, which we unfortunately had in the Mendes flicks) and TLJ (for some reason it felt somewhat out of place and I felt that I would appreciate it more if it weren't a Star Wars movie), and I felt that the humor was completely out of place. Moreover, Disney would start making lots of spinoffs about the scooby gang, and we really wouldn't want that, would we?
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    I don’t mean to be a kill joy, I was really looking forward to the Solo film as I don’t really like the new trilogy and I really liked RO, but this trailer makes the film look awful. I will go in with an open mind but I’m setting my expectations in the toilet.
    They're also developing a few Star Wars series exclusively for their new streaming service:

http://collider.com/star-wars-tv-series-disney-streaming-service/#david-benioff-db-weiss
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,883
    They're also developing a few Star Wars series exclusively for their new streaming service:

http://collider.com/star-wars-tv-series-disney-streaming-service/#david-benioff-db-weiss
    Very interesting. This is an example of where we're headed, which is why amazon and apple's enthusiasm for Bond (reported in September) piqued my interest.

Very interesting. This is an example of where we're headed, which is why amazon and apple's enthusiasm for Bond (reported in September) piqued my interest.

It's almost too much for me; it's like with superhero movies, it was fun for a while, but when there are dozens of them, and dozens of like-minded TV shows coming year after year, it all becomes a bit too much and I start to lose interest. I just keep thinking about Apple or Disney getting Bond, and having a few spin-off movies and shows going to their streaming service per year, alongside a few Bond-related theatrical releases, and I'm not sure if I'd enjoy that.

It's almost too much for me; it's like with superhero movies, it was fun for a while, but when there are dozens of them, and dozens of like-minded TV shows coming year after year, it all becomes a bit too much and I start to lose interest. I just keep thinking about Apple or Disney getting Bond, and having a few spin-off movies and shows going to their streaming service per year, alongside a few Bond-related theatrical releases, and I'm not sure if I'd enjoy that.
    Oh I agree. I wouldn't want oversaturation of Bond either but I just see the technological ramifications and how new media is taking over (it's where the money will be in the future). As long as they don't dilute the brand, but rather 'spin off' in the universe without overexposing Bond himself I think it can be done though. The trick is in the execution however, and that's where these things normally tend to go astray.
    When Lucas was still in charge and there was plans for live action star wars series, I was excited for the prospect of new star wars live action adventures.

Now that Disney is in charge and they announce these spin-off movies and new trilogies for the next fifty years, I say enough.
    One Bond film every two years is good for me. Don't want one every six months.