Terminator: Dark Fate (2019)

Comments

I expect a complete reboot surely it's the only way to go, though the franchise is such a wreck at this point even with Cameron involved it's difficult to be enthusiastic.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    If they're doing a hard reboot, I really hope they don't bring Arnold back. Get some young blood in with a brand new, deadly Terminator. If they try and write Arnold in again somehow, it'll just feel like 'Genisys' once again.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    About damn time Cameron took on some creative responsibility for his first born that has been bastardised through the years.

I believe it has something to do with the rights, which he will re-acquire in 2019 (which is when I'm assuming they would begin production on the film).

That's exactly it. He had the opportunity to get the full rights back about five years ago but the deal fell through and eventually he was outbid. I believe the deal is that they can only go a certain amount of time without any films being made before the rights come back to him anyway. Obviously in the aftermath of the Genisys debacle they are fast-forwarding the process.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Well, that's unexpected for sure. I didn't think anyone would revive the series yet again considering it got two flops in a row.

Too bad this won't be a sequel to Salvation; I really wish they continued that storyline.
    Am I the only one who think Terminator should not have had any sequel? It works better IMO as a one off movie. Like Die Hard (although DH even more so).
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Exciting... yeah, somewhat I guess. Look, Cameron hasn't been able to thrill me since T2. I've never understood the overall praise for the rather "meh" True Lies, nor for Titanic and Avatar. I still, to this day, prefer TT, Aliens, TA and T2 over anything he did after those films. So if this new Terminator film is "godfathered" by the Jim Cameron of the 80s - which I doubt, because filmmakers change and hardly ever change back - I'll be thrilled.
    The only optimism I have for this project is that it's either completely standalone/a hard reboot that gives us a totally different spin on the world, or if Cameron does get a lot of say/relative control over the finished product.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Exciting... yeah, somewhat I guess. Look, Cameron hasn't been able to thrill me since T2. I've never understood the overall praise for the rather "meh" True Lies, nor for Titanic and Avatar. I still, to this day, prefer TT, Aliens, TA and T2 over anything he did after those films. So if this new Terminator film is "godfathered" by the Jim Cameron of the 80s - which I doubt, because filmmakers change and hardly ever change back - I'll be thrilled.
    My sentiments too.

A major 'Terminator' announcement is coming this year, likely one for the next film. I have no reason to be optimistic, but the way they talk about it does have me intrigued:

http://collider.com/terminator-5-update/
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 2,107
    They should just leave this franchise alone. The first two movies will never be beat.

Genisys was just embarrassing.

Arnold-Schwarzenegger-Smile.gif
    I saw that image of him frowning, looked up and read your comment, and looked back down again, puzzled as to why he was now smiling at me...
    It was one of those embarrassing light moments of the film.

Since the third one, these have become parodies of the first two.

First one was excellent thriller, the second one great action piece...the rest..*sigh*
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I liked Geniysis... but that's where it ends for me.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    A major 'Terminator' announcement is coming this year, likely one for the next film. I have no reason to be optimistic, but the way they talk about it does have me intrigued:

On another site that I frequent I proposed that Cameron may/should do what had been proposed for the Alien franchise and ignore the sequels that followed T2. The next film with his involvement would continue the "Cameron Universe"

If he has a great idea for another Terminator film, I would hate to see him tied into plotlines and timelines established by the films done without his involvement.

When it comes to time travel stories, a single event can change everything. There is no reason that the world created within the sequels cannot exist as well as an alternate timeline that is Cameron's vision. There is a line in the quote from the Collider story that may give a hint that they're heading in this direction

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

During a recent conversation with our very own Steven Weintraub, Skydance honcho David Ellison said that there will be a major announcement about the Terminator franchise coming in 2017. He essentially left the announcement at that but you can read his quotes from the interview right below.

Here’s what Ellison said during his interview with Steve:

“I will say we have resolved the future of the franchise and believe me its an incredibly bright future. I think where it’s going will be the continuation of what the fans really wanted since T2.”

“We have something this year that we will be announcing for the franchise. It’s something we’re incredibly excited about and we think is the direction it needs to head.”

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 5,767
    talos7 wrote: »

On another site that I frequent I proposed that Cameron may/should do what had been proposed for the Alien franchise and ignore the sequels that followed T2. The next film with his involvement would continue the "Cameron Universe"

If he has a great idea for another Terminator film, I would hate to see him tied into plotlines and timelines established by the films done without his involvement.

When it comes to time travel stories, a single event can change everything. There is no reason that the world created within the sequels cannot exist as well as an alternate timeline that is Cameron's vision. There is a line in the quote from the Collider story that may give a hint that they're heading in this direction

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

During a recent conversation with our very own Steven Weintraub, Skydance honcho David Ellison said that there will be a major announcement about the Terminator franchise coming in 2017. He essentially left the announcement at that but you can read his quotes from the interview right below.

Here’s what Ellison said during his interview with Steve:

“I will say we have resolved the future of the franchise and believe me its an incredibly bright future. I think where it’s going will be the continuation of what the fans really wanted since T2.”

“We have something this year that we will be announcing for the franchise. It’s something we’re incredibly excited about and we think is the direction it needs to head.”

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    And what is it that the fans really wanted since T2? I can´t remember. And what is the continuation of that?? Typical blurry Hollywood announcement with no real meaning.

It doesn´t matter what direction they take, as long as they don´t have the personnel to properly realise some proper vision.

Well, supposedly, James Cameron will be involved, if not as a director as a writer and producer. If anyone can insure "the personnel to properly realize some proper vision+ it's him. But at this point is it possible to do anything fresh with this story or should it have ended with T2?
    Cameron said he will be occupied with Avatar films for the next, I think he said eight, years. He won´t have a lot of input in a possible new Terminator film.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I can't believe that Cameron would want to touch this franchise, which has been butchered beyond recognition. Truly one of the great disgraces of our time, especially in comparison to what it once was. Shame really.

If anyone says that a once legendary series can't be ruined, please mention this as Exhibit A for why they're wrong. Pause for thought.

If he really wants to get involved, then he's either terribly brave or has a massive ego, and we know he has both.
    Cameron regains the rights to the Franchise in 2019

http://deadline.com/2017/01/terminator-james-cameron-deadpool-tim-miller-david-ellison-skydance-1201890848/

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/01/james-cameron-to-revisit-terminator-franchise-new-film-1201771572/

What came after T2 was a mess, which is why I think an option is for Cameron to ignore those and stay within his "universe" and make a direct continuation that he story he told in 92.
    talos7 wrote: »
    Cameron regains the rights to the Franchise in 2019

http://deadline.com/2017/01/terminator-james-cameron-deadpool-tim-miller-david-ellison-skydance-1201890848/

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/01/james-cameron-to-revisit-terminator-franchise-new-film-1201771572/

What came after T2 was a mess, which is why I think an option is for Cameron to ignore those and stay within his "universe" and make a direct continuation that he story he told in 92.
    That would be the most logical and sensible step it seems. Still, regardless of rights returning and reports of Cameron getting involved, I seriously doubt he will have any time to be more than fractionally involved. And frankly, I doubt he has that much interest anymore in the T franchise.

I'm sure it's a given at this point, but I also didn't notice that any previously discussed sequels to 'Terminator: Genisys' are 100% dead and canned, now, which is great news.

Thanks for posting all that, @talos7. I meant to once I realized just how in-depth the discussion was, and went past the mere mentioning of an announcement this year.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Cameron said he will be occupied with Avatar films for the next, I think he said eight, years. He won´t have a lot of input in a possible new Terminator film.

Who is to say the Terminator won t show up in an Avatar movie?
    The story floating around is that Cameron will be involved, probably writing and producing, while Deadpool director, Tim Miller will handle Directing.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    I've never seen any of the terminator films. Is it recommended that I give them a try?
    stag wrote: »
    I've never seen any of the terminator films. Is it recommended that I give them a try?
    The first two Terminator films are very good highly recommend them, the first film is a classic in the genre the second film expands on the first films themes extremely well.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    boldfinger wrote: »

Who is to say the Terminator won t show up in an Avatar movie?
    Aviator: The Movie.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    I've been looking inside Annapurna's 'filmography' and guess which film they helped to distribute? https://www.movieinsider.com/c2623/annapurna-pictures

Since T:G was a big-name blockbuster but also a financial failure in more ways than one can imagine (no sequel/Arnold is finished/critical failure etc), I wonder if this will affect it's image for those of us who didn't know. It still made USD440M globally but that's with a whopping USD155M spending budget. So, do we want to see a studio which financed T:G, finance Bond too??
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Whoever is this Annapurna, I've been reading about them a little, I don't want them anywhere near Bond. Bond's done with art-house movie productions and crew.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    Whoever is this Annapurna, I've been reading about them a little, I don't want them anywhere near Bond. Bond's done with art-house movie productions and crew.

But that's my point. They aren't actually the small budget "art-house" distributor we thought they were, instead they've made large tent-pole films with A+ stars for years. Sure, they're still an underdog compared to Warner Bros/Universal but they aren't low budget at all.
    So much for that: Arnold Schwarzenegger will star in the new 'Terminator' produced by James Cameron:

http://www.slashfilm.com/arnold-schwarzenegger-starring-in-new-terminator-sequel/