Terminator: Dark Fate (2019)

Comments

I didn't even see the last one yet!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    RogueAgent wrote: »

It's not great though I found it entertaining
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    RogueAgent wrote: »

I found it to be horribly dull, so I'd say you're missing out on nothing worthy of your time. The one thing I appreciated was the subversion of expectations, given some scenes were redone from the first film.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    That's reassuring. I've grown tired of having old Arnie pop up as a Terminator in all these while they subsequently try to 'restart' a new trilogy, so having him appear as the human basis for the Terminator line will be much better.

It's certainly a different approach and makes sense, the series needs fresh ideas they can't keep making the same film over and over again.

Now it begs the question of whether it'll be a modern-day Arnie, or if it won't be a prequel to the first and they go the motion-cap route of giving us a young Arnie.

I fear the latter though the way effects are going it may not even be noticeable if it's young CGI Arnie.
    I doubt they will ever get good enough with CGI that it doesn´t disturb throughout a whole scene. I believed it when a guy working in films told me in the early 90s that soon they would use computers instead of actors, but since then nothing much has happened, when you look at it realistically.

That's what Scorsese plans on doing for a large part of 'The Irishman': utilizing the mo-cap technology that'll let him shoot his actors while making them appear like their 30-year-old selves on screen. It's pretty impressive technology, not as jarring as other techniques I've seen. I wouldn't mind seeing it, but there's a difference between that and trying to utilize the same method to bring back deceased actors. Doesn't sit well with me, and never looks good or realistic, no matter how hard they try.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    boldfinger wrote: »
    That's reassuring. I've grown tired of having old Arnie pop up as a Terminator in all these while they subsequently try to 'restart' a new trilogy, so having him appear as the human basis for the Terminator line will be much better.

It's certainly a different approach and makes sense, the series needs fresh ideas they can't keep making the same film over and over again.

Now it begs the question of whether it'll be a modern-day Arnie, or if it won't be a prequel to the first and they go the motion-cap route of giving us a young Arnie.

I fear the latter though the way effects are going it may not even be noticeable if it's young CGI Arnie.
    I doubt they will ever get good enough with CGI that it doesn´t disturb throughout a whole scene. I believed it when a guy working in films told me in the early 90s that soon they would use computers instead of actors, but since then nothing much has happened, when you look at it realistically.

If it's for a short scene to establish the origin of T 800 it's possible, though if a young human Arnie had a large chunk of the films scenes the film would be too expensive irrespective of quality.
    You're right - the more it's featured, the higher-priced the budget will likely be. I wonder with Cameron having a hand in this if they won't deliver another overly-CGI installment and try to utilize more practical effects. A man can hope.
    That's what Scorsese plans on doing for a large part of 'The Irishman': utilizing the mo-cap technology that'll let him shoot his actors while making them appear like their 30-year-old selves on screen. It's pretty impressive technology, not as jarring as other techniques I've seen. I wouldn't mind seeing it, but there's a difference between that and trying to utilize the same method to bring back deceased actors. Doesn't sit well with me, and never looks good or realistic, no matter how hard they try.
    I could imagine it working if it´s used in flashbacks where the picture on the whole is altered, like black and white, or grainy, or somehow filtered. In normal film scenes I have no faith whatsoever in the technology. I didn´t mind it in TSalvation, but only because Arnie never spoke or otherwise acted. I didn´t mind it in the Princess Leia second at the end of Rogue One, but only because it was just a second or two. Admiral Tarkin in RO looked horrible, like a character from a computer game.

You're right - the more it's featured, the higher-priced the budget will likely be. I wonder with Cameron having a hand in this if they won't deliver another overly-CGI installment and try to utilize more practical effects. A man can hope.

I could see a flashback origin sequence then show human Arnie at a later stage in life, Arnie is a draw despite age for the franchise he won't have a cameo I don't think.
    Seems to be several avenues they could take with this. Time will tell, but I'll hold off on my excitement (or lack thereof) until I've seen/heard more.
    Seems to be several avenues they could take with this. Time will tell, but I'll hold off on my excitement (or lack thereof) until I've seen/heard more.

I am in that place where I am with Alien movies, low expectations though I know I will watch it.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 40,459

I am in that place where I am with Alien movies, low expectations though I know I will watch it.

It's a mirrored case for both franchises for me: the first two (in both series) are easily some of my favorite films of all time, and the rest are either duds or pretty forgettable to me. And yet, no matter what, I'll still hold out hope that they can eventually return to the roots and deliver a phenomenal adventure once again.

It's a mirrored case for both franchises for me: the first two (in both series) are easily some of my favorite films of all time, and the rest are either duds or pretty forgettable to me. And yet, no matter what, I'll still hold out hope that they can eventually return to the roots and deliver a phenomenal adventure once again.

Me too plus I like to complete movie sets though if the film is poor I'll try to buy it cheap.

Me too plus I like to complete movie sets though if the film is poor I'll try to buy it cheap.

I used to be like that, but then I felt foolish for shelling out money to appease my 'completionist' attitude, only to add a movie I'd likely never watch again to my collection.

I used to be like that, but then I felt foolish for shelling out money to appease my 'completionist' attitude, only to add a movie I'd likely never watch again to my collection.

I have more money than sense unfortunately.
    I always thought Terminator was self contained in the first film and did not even need a sequel. It was a neat piece of sci-fi paranoia mixed with technological doom.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I always thought Terminator was self contained in the first film and did not even need a sequel. It was a neat piece of sci-fi paranoia mixed with technological doom.

The first film is my favourite by far, taps into the technological paranoia of the 80's. T2 has grown on me over time it's probably more regarded by myself for ironically the technological advancement in film, I remember watching it at the cinema it was an event at the time.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 5,767
    Not to mention that the second film ignores the first one´s logic. Nevertheless, great fun, both versions of T2.

T2 was for me technical achievement but no true substance. They basically go for the same story a second time.
    T2 was for me technical achievement but no true substance. They basically go for the same story a second time.
    I agree that a lot of it would pass as a high budget remake.

boldfinger wrote: »
    I agree that a lot of it would pass as a high budget remake.

I'd say it is the result of a very 90s way of tackling sequels: let's put a lot more money in and shoot the same thing, basically the same narrative, same plot, same characters plus a few extras, sometimes similar settings.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Schwarzenegger confirms his return to the series, says 'Terminator 6' will begin shooting in March, followed by a new 'Conan':

http://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3452558/schwarzenegger-confirms-return-terminator-franchise/

The best news in that article, there's still plans for a Conan movie. I wish they would just make that instead of a new Terminator.
    I'd rather see Conan than Terminator but I don't see that happening either.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

How about a crossover? The Terminator travels back in time to the days of Conan. Schwarzenegger meets himself. I wonder who would win that fight?
    Have you heard the theory that Terminator & Predator are in the same canon, and the look of the Terminator was based off Dutch?

How about a crossover? The Terminator travels back in time to the days of Conan. Schwarzenegger meets himself. I wonder who would win that fight?

Conan. Easily.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Have you heard the theory that Terminator & Predator are in the same canon, and the look of the Terminator was based off Dutch?
    I always wanted to believe that. Just for the hell of it. :D
    Linda Hamilton officially signs on to return in the new film:

http://www.slashfilm.com/linda-hamilton-terminator-sequel/#more-441931
    my interest is piqued