Terminator: Dark Fate (2019)

Comments

chrisisall wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Jai "Zero Charisma" Courtney playing Reese was a massive reason why I wasn't paying to see the movie. How you go from Michael Biehn to Jai Courtney is beyond me.
    I almost disliked the film for that, but Emilia Clark & Arnold made it more than worthwhile for me.

Same for me. I really liked the two of them together and would like to see that dynamic develop more over the course of another film, or more.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    dalton wrote: »
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Jai "Zero Charisma" Courtney playing Reese was a massive reason why I wasn't paying to see the movie. How you go from Michael Biehn to Jai Courtney is beyond me.
    I almost disliked the film for that, but Emilia Clark & Arnold made it more than worthwhile for me.

Same for me. I really liked the two of them together and would like to see that dynamic develop more over the course of another film, or more.

I liked it as a nice end.
    I'd be OK if it was the end, but I think that they have some of the pieces in place to make one last Terminator film that, while probably not living up to the greatness of the first two films, could at least be a worthy follow up and do something original with it again.

I think maybe, if they keep Emilia Clarke and Arnold, while making a change to bring in someone else to take over for Jai Courtney, and then go out and hire a truly dynamic director (no more of the Marvel retreads, or relatively inexperienced directors, or TV hacks like they've had over the past three films), then there's a chance for one last great Terminator film before it's time to call it a franchise.
    This talk about Reese reminds me of some funny trivia I heard very recently.
    You've all seen this publicity shot of Reese:

kyle-reese.jpg

Obviously the Tech Noir after he starts shooting up Arnold. But look who's sitting in the background having a merry ol' time! I've seen this photo a hundred times and never noticed!
    Damn, seeing those colours and lights makes me instantly want to watch the film again!

The difference between Genysis and the first two that struck me is the switch from mechanical to virtual. And that's why I made the Lawnmower Man analogy. In the early movies, especially the first one, it is as if cars, tanks, blenders and what have you had become sentient and had become tyrannical. In Genysis Skynet is a virtual image. Something is lost.
    "12th....May....Thursday!"
    "WHAT YEAR!!!!"

Happy Terminator Day!
    =D>
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Oh damn! Might have to watch 'The Terminator' tonight. Happy Terminator Day, everyone!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2016 Posts: 15,690
    Oh god damn I'm going to watch 'Terminator 2' this weekend in between the Formula 1 sessions!
    Hmmm you know this made me realize something. That's when Kyle arrives, and he & Sarah spend one night together. That means the final battle was Friday the 13th!
    Hmmm you know this made me realize something. That's when Kyle arrives, and he & Sarah spend one night together. That means the final battle was Friday the 13th!

S**T! :-O
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2016 Posts: 15,690
    @DarthDimi @bondjames @Creasy47 @doubleoego @ClarkDevlin

Terminator 2 was released 25 years ago today. Who is going to take the occasion to rewatch it?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    @DaltonCraig007, thanks for letting me know. I believe I will do that either tonight or tomorrow (I've been meaning to get to it for some time but want to see the first one again too). It's a definite top 10 of all time for me. A benchmark film that looks so cool (and high tech even) today.
    The teaser trailer is prolly one of the coolest ever (besides TMNT '90)
    How cool was it that they could make an awesome teaser trailer without a SINGLE FRAME of movie footage!! Now that's how you do it!

Not like today where they just blatantly put the plot twists right out there :-w
    I want the evil and cruel terminator back , like in T1..........
    @Master_Dahark, speaking of "today," I remember how the culmination of both trailers and interviews for 'Genisys' lead to literally every twist this movie had being revealed months before the release date, like showing John as a bad guy in the trailers.
    Yep, that's exactly what I'm talking about! I hate that stuff these days. It really affects movies lately.
    Remember that second trailer for BvS that showed Doomsday about to blast Batman into dust, only to be blocked at the last second by Wonder Woman? I HATED that they showed that!!! Wonder Woman got a huge applause when that happened opening night, but imagine how big it would have been if the whole freaking audience didn't know it was coming!! ~X(

Regarding Genisys, if I was in charge of making a trailer, I would have shown a brief clip of the scene in the 70's when he saves young Sarah, then snippets of older Arnold in 1984 (maybe show the bad Terminator from the first movie) just to establish that Arnold has been around for years in this new movie. Love or hate it, I know lots of people were hesitant to even watch it just because of Arnold's age.
    The trailer should put people at ease and say, 'hey, we know Arnold's older now, but we found a loophole!'

And that's ALL THEY SHOULD SHOW!!!! I bet more people would have gone to see it. I remember on therpf.com, another forum I go to, people used to make fun of the trailer, saying 'great, now I don't have to see it!'

[End rant] So, is Terminator 6 still happening? ;)
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Clearly Warner Bros hired the Genishyt trailer people to edit the BvS trailers and said "It won't hurt us!"

If Terminator 6 is still happening, it needs to tie up the Genishyt plotlines, because if there's a 6, there won't be a 7.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    And if there isn t ?
    I thought it was already confirmed that they had stopped their work on a sequel to this? I wish they had stopped work on these movies entirely after T2, as not one installment has been worthy of viewing, in my opinion.
    @Creasy47 apparently plans for a Terminator 6 are back on track again.
    @Creasy47 apparently plans for a Terminator 6 are back on track again.

Again: still can't get a sequel to TGWTDT, but they'll greenlight another one of these. Stupid.
  • I had an interesting revelation while watching T2 recently. Let me know if you agree (and I apologize for the overlapping time travel paradox)
    When Arnold first rescued John he described the T-1000 as an 'advanced prototype'. To me that sounds as if there's just one, as opposed to Arnold's T-800, who was as he said in T3, 'like an assembly line'.

Does this mean that the T-1000 we see in Genisys is literally the same character we saw in T2? It sure seems that way! Its new mission was to be sent to the 70's to kill young Sarah, instead of the mid 90's to kill John. Kind of cool when you think about it! Last time I watched T:G I assumed it was 'just another one'.
    The one thing I did like about 'Genisys' is that if it retread old ground and used shot-for-shot moments from 'The Terminator,' it'd get flipped on its side in an unexpected way, which was great. Like the sequence in the department store: starts out like the original, then goes in an entirely different direction.
  • Rewatched Terminator Google the other night, it's OK not the worst in the series. I would be happy to see a sixth film, I except the quality we are likely to get.

Didn't see this one coming: in an apparent conclusion to the series, James Cameron will godfather a reboot, of sorts, with Tim Miller:

http://deadline.com/2017/01/terminator-james-cameron-deadpool-tim-miller-david-ellison-skydance-1201890848/
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    About damn time Cameron took on some creative responsibility for his first born that has been bastardised through the years.
    About damn time Cameron took on some creative responsibility for his first born that has been bastardised through the years.

I believe it has something to do with the rights, which he will re-acquire in 2019 (which is when I'm assuming they would begin production on the film).
  • I wonder if Arnold will be involved at all? I'm thinking not, but you never know.

Still, exciting news!