Terminator: Dark Fate (2019)

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    That should read, a new Conan with Arnold is feasible. :P
    talos7 wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    He's simply too old now for Conan, unless they make an elderly King Conan. But what fans have been wanting to see is how he became king. The thing with Conan is that there was one great movie, then a disappointing sequel, then lots of poor man's Conan, then a reboot that was basically the original great movie, the greatness taken away.

And this great Conan movie dating back from 1982, it's a bit a long time ago to make a sequel to it, hoping it will be good and successful.

I don't agree; he is older, yes, but elderly, not by a long shot. Arnold is still incredibly fit and active. A script is ready that tells the story of a older Conan. Unforgiven showed a gunfighter in the twilight of his life going on one last quest. If the script is strong and the right director is found, Conan new Conan with Arnold is feasible.

Arnie is 68, he will be 69 this year, if this movie ever gets out of development Hell he will be in his 70s to play Conan. I call that elderly. Sure, there can be a story of an older Conan. He is one of the few popular characters that is not ageless. But then there is this whole in between time, from where we left him at the end of Barbarian (Destroyer does not count) and the time when he became king that will be unaccounted for and which I think would be fascinating to see (John Milius even wrote its script I believe).

It can be done: I could picture a Conan à la Godfather II. But in any case, Arnie will be playing an elderly Conan.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    70 is the new 50.
    Elderly :P
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Old is a funny adjective. Very irregular as it goes:
    Older-elderly-old.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    70 is the new 50.

In action movies maybe. But I don't find it very believable.
    He's simply too old now for Conan, unless they make an elderly King Conan. But what fans have been wanting to see is how he became king. The thing with Conan is that there was one great movie, then a disappointing sequel, then lots of poor man's Conan, then a reboot that was basically the original great movie, the greatness taken away.

And this great Conan movie dating back from 1982, it's a bit a long time ago to make a sequel to it, hoping it will be good and successful.

I don't agree; he is older, yes, but elderly, not by a long shot. Arnold is still incredibly fit and active. A script is ready that tells the story of a older Conan. Unforgiven showed a gunfighter in the twilight of his life going on one last quest. If the script is strong and the right director is found, Conan new Conan with Arnold is feasible.

Arnie is 68, he will be 69 this year, if this movie ever gets out of development Hell he will be in his 70s to play Conan. I call that elderly. Sure, there can be a story of an older Conan. He is one of the few popular characters that is not ageless. But then there is this whole in between time, from where we left him at the end of Barbarian (Destroyer does not count) and the time when he became king that will be unaccounted for and which I think would be fascinating to see (John Milius even wrote its script I believe).

It can be done: I could picture a Conan à la Godfather II. But in any case, Arnie will be playing an elderly Conan.
    I couldn´t care less which time period they make into a movie, as long as it´s a good one.

boldfinger wrote: »

I couldn´t care less which time period they make into a movie, as long as it´s a good one.

Well, yes, but that's kind of a given. I want a Conan movie "as long as it is a good one". And I did say I think one can make a good one with an old Conan. Or an old Sherlock Holmes. Or an old Michael Corleone. Or whatever. What I am wondering is what to do when the initial project was meant to take place much earlier, when the character and actor playing him were much younger? Milius had a script, are they going to rewrite it to fit Arnie's age? Scrap it for something else? His casting in a beloved franchise is not a guarantee of quality, sadly.
    boldfinger wrote: »

Well, yes, but that's kind of a given. I want a Conan movie "as long as it is a good one". And I did say I think one can make a good one with an old Conan. Or an old Sherlock Holmes. Or an old Michael Corleone. Or whatever. What I am wondering is what to do when the initial project was meant to take place much earlier, when the character and actor playing him were much younger? Milius had a script, are they going to rewrite it to fit Arnie's age? Scrap it for something else? His casting in a beloved franchise is not a guarantee of quality, sadly.
    Perhaps I am ignorant, but I don´t think of any initial project, because I never heard or read anything about another Conan film until Arnie said so last year or so. So I am assuming (quite naive, I know) that they work with what they have now, not ten or twenty years ago.
    It also never struck me that Conan could be called a beloved franchise. The first film could be called beloved, but everything after that was neither beloved nor did it really qualify as a franchise.
    The project dates back from the early 2000s it was called King Conan: Crown of Iron. It featured a more seasoned Conan becoming king and had many references to Barbarian. It was not perfect but it was overall a very good project in the spirit of the original.

As there's more than one movie we can talk of a franchise, although yes it's only the first movie that was truly loved.
    As there's more than one movie we can talk of a franchise, although yes it's only the first movie that was truly loved.

I loved the first movie.
    I loved the the music (and the drunk scene) in the second.
    I will see what the 2011 version has to offer.

On topic: I enjoyed T:G enough to buy the Blu Ray... but I can't really see where they can go from after that. It was like the last Indy movie; a last goodbye IMO. Not fantastic, but cool for us fans.
    The "elderly" Arnold. Bring on Conan!

[img][/img]Arnold3_zpsndzmc5tj.jpg

Once more with feeling! :)>-

Well, he is old. And that is okay for Conan, as I said he is not an ageless character, depending what you want to do with him.
    Well when all is said and done, I thoroughly enjoyed Terminator: Genysis... almost as much as Thor: Dark World (same director).
    Is it only me or did Genysis sometimes reminded me more of a Lawnmower Man movie than a Terminator movie?
    It's just you man. :))
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited April 2016 Posts: 40,492
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Well when all is said and done, I thoroughly enjoyed Terminator: Genysis... almost as much as Thor: Dark World (same director).

That perfectly sums up why I didn't care for either, then! I will say that while I didn't like 'Genisys' at all, it did have a couple of entertaining scenes, and while I didn't care for them pretty much copying scenes from the original beat for beat, I do like that they shook it up at times by altering the events that follow.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    That perfectly sums up why I didn't care for either, then!
    Ha ha, well I had a ball with Dark World.
    I think Iron Man 2 was my least favourite Marvel movie so far, and I didn't hate it.
    It's funny, because his filmography has absolutely nothing of value or interest to me, and yet he's directed some killer episodes from some of the greatest shows ever made.
    The funny thing about TG is that they go back to the events of the first movie, and do SUCH a good job of recreating the 1984 that we saw.... and then cast Jai Courtney as Reese. :-?

I'm starting to think that he's just such a friendly guy that everyone just wants to cast him so they can all hang out and have fun! The name escapes me, but I understand the final casting decision was down to Courtney and this other guy- I googled him and he's a dead ringer for a younger Michael Beihn!

Oh well! It didn't kill the movie for me by any means, but a better Reese certainly would have helped
    Jai "Zero Charisma" Courtney playing Reese was a massive reason why I wasn't paying to see the movie. How you go from Michael Biehn to Jai Courtney is beyond me.

If you ever find out who he is, do let me know. I can't think of too many choices worse than Courtney; perhaps Sam Worthington, but thankfully they aren't dumb enough to let a guy like THAT near a 'Terminator' mo--

...wait a minute.
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 4,813
    It was Wilson Bethel!

latest?cb=20120509155612

tumblr_m6nz8oPeVJ1qzx70zo1_500.png

I've never seen him so I can't comment on his acting, but how they went with Courtney over him is beyond me!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Jai Courtney ruins EVERYTHING, @Creasy47! Whoever decided to bring him into Die Hard 5 need to be lobotomised. That film stood no chance whatsoever as it was, let alone with a none-actor like Courtney.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Jai Courtney ruins EVERYTHING, @Creasy47! Whoever decided to bring him into Die Hard 5 need to be lobotomised. That film stood no chance whatsoever as it was, let alone with a none-actor like Courtney.

They took a turd ('Die Hard 5') and sprinkled a little more poo (Jai Courtney) atop it.
    The Terminator film series is dead I think. Sadly. Still, nothing since T2 has had a decent chance of keeping the story going, except for The Sarah Connor Chronicles, which they cancelled in favour of T-S. (Idiots!) Even the comics are doing a vastly better job. Genisys might have been great but I found myself gravely disappointed.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 4,813
    This talk about Reese reminds me of some funny trivia I heard very recently.
    You've all seen this publicity shot of Reese:

latest?cb=20081008025044

Obviously the Tech Noir after he starts shooting up Arnold. But look who's sitting in the background having a merry ol' time! I've seen this photo a hundred times and never noticed!
    Nice, @Master_Dahark! Hadn't noticed Linda either! :)
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Jai "Zero Charisma" Courtney playing Reese was a massive reason why I wasn't paying to see the movie. How you go from Michael Biehn to Jai Courtney is beyond me.
    I almost disliked the film for that, but Emilia Clark & Arnold made it more than worthwhile for me.
    Wow, I've seen that photo plenty of times before as well and have never noticed, either! Crazy.