Terminator: Dark Fate (2019)

Comments

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Yes, but he also said Avatar was worth the money. It really wasn't.
  • I'd really love to see a movie all about how they capture a T800 to send back and protect John from the T1000.
    That's probably what the potential Terminator Salvation sequel could have touched on.

Speaking of... we've now seen 'good guy' Arnold Terminators in three movies now! Did they just... grab a bunch while they were there? I'm picturing it in my head and laughing to myself 8-}
    I thought it was enjoyable in a turn-your-brain-off kind of way, mainly because it was just fun to see Arnold back in his old stomping ground.

Is Terminator Genisys a good film? No, but for a fan of Arnold it was a decent little bit of fun, especially in a climate where all of the action films seem so serious that they tend to forget to allow their audiences to have fun with it.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    dalton wrote: »
    I thought it was enjoyable in a turn-your-brain-off kind of way, mainly because it was just fun to see Arnold back in his old stomping ground.

Is Terminator Genisys a good film? No, but for a fan of Arnold it was a decent little bit of fun, especially in a climate where all of the action films seem so serious that they tend to forget to allow their audiences to have fun with it.

This nails it, I think! =D>
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2015 Posts: 23,883
    chrisisall wrote: »

Agreed. Good fun all round. This franchise was dead to me as a serious exercise after the end of the seminal T2 anyway, so these days I just want to be entertained.
    edited December 2015 Posts: 17,695
    bondjames wrote: »

Agreed. Good fun all round. This franchise was dead to me as a serious exercise after the end of the seminal T2 anyway, so these days I just want to be entertained.

Agreed. TT & T2 are SERIOUS works. TG is just a pleasant revisit (like Crystal Skull) not to be taken too seriously IMHO.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

I had a free ticket to use, so I guess my opinion is invalid, but I think it would've been worth the money if I had to pay, just because of how mindblowing the 3D was to me. Couldn't care less for the film itself.

Creasy47 wrote: »

I had a free ticket to use, so I guess my opinion is invalid, but I think it would've been worth the money if I had to pay, just because of how mindblowing the 3D was to me. Couldn't care less for the film itself.
    I actually liked John Carter a whole lot more...
    \m/
  • I treated myself to something special! I'm sure you'll recognize it instantly!

12391323_10100811419515961_7884074837064024527_n.jpg?oh=6f4a5cda7bbc69b3c5617664edb53e8b&oe=56E30EED

(it's airsoft)

I haven't mastered this yet:

T2-gun-swing.gif

but by god I'm trying! Actually, it's pretty heavy and hurts my fingers like crazy. I guess it helps to be a machine, lol

I'm thinking of making some sort of plaque to hang it on the wall
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Master_Dahark, it's probably much easier to do when you have massive, giant hands like Schwarzenegger does. I spot a huge collector's edition of 'The Phantom Pain' in the background, as well!
    I rather enjoyed myself although I've never been a big fan of the franchise. I understand why an original fan would be underwhelmed though: the violence is seriously toned down. I always thought that the first was a neat paranoid techno horror sci-fi and stood better on its own.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 5,767
    @DarthDimi I find it funny how we are arguing here about continuity in the 'Terminator' franchise, while at the same time being huge James Bond fans, which means being fans of the franchise which gave absolutely no care in its continuity. ;)
    Yeah well Bond doesn´t have the premise in the first place to dabble with time the way the T franchise does. He merely doesn´t really age ;-).

DarthDimi wrote: »
    People have told me that one of the big flaws of T2 is that Skynet develops a more advanced cyborg, i.e. the T-1000, yet doesn't send it back to 1984, when Sarah and Kyle had barely been able to defeat a less advanced type. Instead, the liquid metal terminator is sent back to about ten years later, when Sarah has grown tougher and more prepared. In fact, why not send the Terminator back to 1800-something, to some distant ancestor of Sarah? That problem was fixed by Cameron himself. Skynet's records are incomplete. It wouldn't know much about Sarah's family tree. Still, why not attack her as a kid, an early teen? Why not send the T-1000 back to the day she was first attacked by the T-800? Kyle struggled so much with that one terminator in the Tech Noir, surely he couldn't have handled a T-1000 at the same time...

I have always put my own spin on that. If you want to move an object in space, energy is required. It probably would be the case with sending something through time too. Now, imagine some kind of exponential relationship between the amount of energy required and the time gap one hopes to bridge. As such, the further back in time Skynet wants to send a terminator, the more energy it needs to accomplish that. It must have taken Skynet 'some' time to develop the T-1000, so that delay might be the reason why the T-1000 couldn't be sent back to 1984 any more. Even Skynet cannot draw infinite amounts of energy, ergo if another ten or twenty year interval increases the energy demand beyond reasonable supplies, it cannot be done and Skynet must settle for a date closer to its 'present day'. There is of course a way to bypass that. You can send a terminator back in time, say 10 years, have it build a time machine itself, then go back in time another 10 years and so on. I'm still looking for a way out of that. I have some thoughts but I'm waiting for the one that I like best. ;-)
    While we´re at it, is there an explanation why those time machines transport the purely metal T-1000, even though they supposedly don´t transport metal without organic tissue over it? Or is the T-1000 organic metal?

For a smart time travel film-watch Looper.
    That one breaks SO many of even the most basic 'rules' of time travel I'd use that as a worst example...

=))
    No no no, look, the only film depicting fully realistic time travel is Predestination :ar! .

Creasy47 wrote: »
    'Terminator 2: Judgment Day' will be getting a 3D re-release in theaters next year, and Cameron says this is the way it should be seen.
    Haha, what else is he supposed to say?

I guess I´d happily go three times in a row if the 2D version was shown again in cinemas. I just couldn´t decide which version I´d want. The cinematic version has the slick pace of the first one, and the director´s cut brings the story and philosophy on a whole new level.
    I guess my favorite choice would be a double feature: T1 in a slightly Lucas-ised version with the aged back projection updated, and then T2 as director´s cut :-).

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    What about Timecop? B-)
    Timeline has one of Goldsmith´s best action scores, even though for the film it was replaced with a Bryan Tyler score.

Derailing, I know, but worth mentioning, and now I´ll keep my mouth shut.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @boldfinger, good question. I can put a really - REALLY - boring spin on that. ;-) You could argue that the T-1000's "metal" is some kind of exotic alloy that behaves differently. I don't know. The no-metal rule is a bit of a problem anyway.

First of all, any transportation device would operate on the subatomic level, meaning it would break a structure down into its fundamental particles (electrons, quarks, ...). It's ridiculous to assume that it would leave the entire atom intact. Ergo the carbon atoms that are typical for organic compounds and the iron or copper or titanium or whatever atoms in the terminators would from the POV of a "time displacement machine" be the same: collections of fundamental particles. Such a devise would be indiscriminate towards them. The difference between organic and metallic matter is purely chemical and I'd be surprised if not offended if we're supposed to believe that a transporting device would function chemically.

Secondly, if it suffices to wrap the metal in organic tissue, which is basically what the T-800 is, then guns can be smuggled from the future too. Just wrap it in cloth and you can go. If the point is that the tissue must be living tissue, then Skynet is just full of it. Assuming that "living" as a criterion can be simplified to "containing nucleic acids" (i.e. DNA or RNA), we're back at the chemical level, a level which I believe the machine would simply ignore. Also, the T-1000 can better contain enough carbon and hydrogen if it wants to mimic DNA. Steel contains a little (but then really a little) carbon but hydrogen is out of the question. Also, DNA requires nitrogen, oxygen and phosphorous too.

BUT, there's still a way out of this. The T-1000 might be able to function as some kind of nuclear "re-arranger", a device that can alter the composition of its atomic nuclei. It might then change organic matter in metallic matter as it deems fit. Let me just say though that it would need the power of the Sun to do that and also that if such a device were developed by Skynet, it needn't worry about the resistance any longer. Such a device could be used to wipe out mankind in a single blast. But then, I doubt that a mass production of T-1000 wouldn't be enough to fight and defeat the resistance without all the kill-Sarah-Conner-in-the-past stuff any way. I mean, those dudes are pretty indestructible and melting them down with fire or acid isn't very practical.

Which brings me to my last point: the acid used in TG. So, the T-1000 is chemically corroded. Won't happen. The types of metal most likely used for a T-1000 (i.e. no sodium or magnesium or calcium or some such light metals) do not react so vigorously with acids. It would take a lot more time OR some pretty particular acidic mixtures to produce the results seen in the movie. I doubt such mixtures, which would furthermore have to be pretty heated, run through the sewer, even in 1984.
    I doubt such mixtures, which would furthermore have to be pretty heated, run through the sewer, even in 1984.
    You missed one thing DD, it's not running through the sewers;
    Still, how do they contain the acid? :p If it eats off the advances T-1000 alloy, surely not a single material in '84 can be used to store it? :p
    Still, how do they contain the acid? :p If it eats off the advances T-1000 alloy, surely not a single material in '84 can be used to store it? :p
    It's a mix that when combined & activated destroys the delivery system- one use only.

It's a mix that when combined & activated destroys the delivery system- one use only.

We're getting there, @chrisisall. :) I like where this is going. :)
    Yeah, me too, I finally get a feeling as if I understood something chemistry :-)). Keep it up boys!
    The T-1000 can copy anything it samples by physical contact. That means DNA as well. So it can travel as 'living' matter & return to adaptive form at a later date. But the energy required to produce one drains the matrix nearly completely which is why only one can be sent back. In TG the one sent back was sampling a different human due to timeline changes, hence the different look from the one in T2.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    This reminds me of religious debates.
    Interesting, @chrisisall. You're on to something. :-)
    We're still left with the problem of how the T-1000 can alter atoms at the nuclear level but yeah, assuming it can do that, the required energy would be an obvious obstacle.

By the way, Arnold's fuel cell, so heavily spotlighted in T3, would carry at most a fraction of the energy required by the T-1000. ;-)

@Thunderfinger, you mean to say you don't worship at the altar of Skynet? You're either very dumb or you're a terminator yourself. Wait... you wouldn't be that T-hee version they put out recently, now would you? ;-)
    Also, the time displacement equipment is not a refined & tested. It's no Delorean. Sending someone or something back is like throwing darts at a dartboard- even what looks like dead center can be off by decades.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 9,783
    I still want to see terminator Genesis and it's the only sequel past the first two films and the Sarah Connor chronicles (shame that show was so fantastic) that I might actually buy sight in seen and watch. For me I haven't seen a terminator film since that God aweful garbage Terminator 3 which is why I cringe every time I see Jonthan Mostow on the short list for bond (he has been rumored a few times) director. Everyone says Salvation is fantastic but for me the film doesn't work as terminator to me is about the chase which seems to be lost in salvation based on what I have read eventually I may see it but we shall see. As for Genesis I nearly saw it but my uncle said lets watch Iron Man 4 I mean Ant man instead and well sadly I saw that instead.

For me though no matter how bad everyone claims Genesys (autocorrect is annoying s sorry for the various misspellings of the title) it can't be worst the rise of the machines which not only gave us the worst ending of the franchise (again the films always very strongly play with our notions of destiny fate and the hand of God and usually gives those a middle finger sighting no we can stop judgement day except the third and fourth) ending it with judgment day while seems like a cool idea practically destroys everything Cameron did and that is ignoring how the actor who played John Connor is so forgettable I don't remeber his name hell he makes Jai Courtney seem down right memorable. Though actually the full cast is just a waste. I could actually write a thesis on how bad the film is and honestly it s equivalent to how Hard core Star Wars fans felt about phantom menance. In fact rise of the machines is th first time that I realized my tastes were maturing and it would take more then boobs and explosions to get me excited (actually my high school years were filled with entertainment disappointments only 1 yes album terminator rise of the plot holes a lot of bland batman rumors that never amounted to anything die another day yeah... At least w got Freddy vs Jason finally)

Moving on though Genesys while people complain looks to me like a decent film and I plan on picking it up eventually
    I watched it again . that's two viewings

I like the happy ending for Sarah and Reese, and they've set things up so they can continue to battle the emerging skynet and Bad John Connor

I'm ready for another serving please
  • DaltonforyouDaltonforyou The Daltonator
    Are they moving ahead with the sequel? Haven't heard much about it
    I have my doubts. The films didn't do very well, neither critically nor commercially.
    I have my doubts. The films didn't do very well, neither critically nor commercially.
    I don't see it happening, which is just as well IMHO. I like where it ended.
    Supposedly they are "reassessing" what went wrong with the film and are going to try to correct it moving forward. The film did do fairly well internationally, it was only in the US that it really flopped.

There's also been some talk about a TV series, so I guess it's possible that they could end up pursuing TV as the format in which to provide the sequel but I do think that they could right the ship and create a successful sequel to Genisys.