The DANIEL CRAIG Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• edited June 2014 Posts: 6,396
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    jobo wrote:
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    Daniel Craig's Bond is so good that the producers are OK with having the next two Bond movies focus on an aging Bond. IMHO, if James Bind has to die it's got to be done by Craig. It can be subtle with Judi Dench meeting him again at the end of Bond 25 awaiting but symbolizing the death. Maybe Bond's grave can be next to Dench's or Vesper's as a surprise.

Your thoughts resemble some off my worst nightmares concerning the Bond franchise. Young folks( you know those who actually go to the cinema )are already quite disconnected to Bond (seeing him as an old fart),preferring Mission impossible and Bourne instead by a large margin (at least according to a young fellow living in my house, with whom I was standing in line at the supermarket recently).
    This M waiting at the other side for 007 thing would certainly not improve things (and make me puke big way). Simply terrible!!

So the confessions of one "young fellow" counts more than the fact that Skyfall is the most succesfull film in the franchise? Yeah, young folks are already quite disconnected to Bond. My ass! Skyfall recruited many new Bond fans, from all age groups. And Skyfall's triumph at the BO should probably indicate that young folks (you know those who actually go to the cinema) were feeling quite okay with the film, shouldn't it?

I must ask you, dear @Matt_Helm, will you one day enlighten us with posts that actually make sense, or do you intend to continue spouting out this hatefull, irrational nonsense?

First about that most successful argument thrown regularly. The main reason why SF (and coincidentally Avengers, Iron Man 3 and, and,and) are setting constantly new revenue records is - of course - the Chinese market. When the powers to be in China decided to allow their people to watch western movies ( after judicious applying of the censors scissor ) they gave Hollywood an extra half a billion audience as present, which of course sets new records in revenue. It's just as simple as that.
    Secondly, stand Tom Cruise dressed cool hoody style, Matt Damon in green bomber jacket and gray stubbled Craig (preferably in SFs evaluation shooting scene ) next to each other. Who do you think young people can relate better to? Again,just as simple as that!

SF made over a billion dollars worldwide even without factoring in the Chinese box office figures (which were less than $60 million by the way).

So it's not as "simple as that!".

Logic has failed you, it would seem.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

SF made over a billion dollars worldwide even without factoring in the Chinese box office figures (which were less than $60 million by the way).

I was going to say just that. Skyfall didn't do that well in the Chinese market at all, and its plot apparently labeling them as "enemies" or "villains" didn't help either.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited June 2014 Posts: 23,559
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    jobo wrote:
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    Daniel Craig's Bond is so good that the producers are OK with having the next two Bond movies focus on an aging Bond. IMHO, if James Bind has to die it's got to be done by Craig. It can be subtle with Judi Dench meeting him again at the end of Bond 25 awaiting but symbolizing the death. Maybe Bond's grave can be next to Dench's or Vesper's as a surprise.

Your thoughts resemble some off my worst nightmares concerning the Bond franchise. Young folks( you know those who actually go to the cinema )are already quite disconnected to Bond (seeing him as an old fart),preferring Mission impossible and Bourne instead by a large margin (at least according to a young fellow living in my house, with whom I was standing in line at the supermarket recently).
    This M waiting at the other side for 007 thing would certainly not improve things (and make me puke big way). Simply terrible!!

So the confessions of one "young fellow" counts more than the fact that Skyfall is the most succesfull film in the franchise? Yeah, young folks are already quite disconnected to Bond. My ass! Skyfall recruited many new Bond fans, from all age groups. And Skyfall's triumph at the BO should probably indicate that young folks (you know those who actually go to the cinema) were feeling quite okay with the film, shouldn't it?

I must ask you, dear @Matt_Helm, will you one day enlighten us with posts that actually make sense, or do you intend to continue spouting out this hatefull, irrational nonsense?

First about that most successful argument thrown regularly. The main reason why SF (and coincidentally Avengers, Iron Man 3 and, and,and) are setting constantly new revenue records is - of course - the Chinese market. When the powers to be in China decided to allow their people to watch western movies ( after judicious applying of the censors scissor ) they gave Hollywood an extra half a billion audience as present, which of course sets new records in revenue. It's just as simple as that.
    Secondly, stand Tom Cruise dressed cool hoody style, Matt Damon in green bomber jacket and gray stubbled Craig (preferably in SFs evaluation shooting scene ) next to each other. Who do you think young people can relate better to? Again,just as simple as that!

You are correct, @WillyGalore. Logic has failed @Matt_Helm. Otherwise, a notorious Craig basher wouldn't visit a thread that says "appreciation and news", not "appreciation or news".

Also, I don't care where the money comes from. You reach a wider audience, good for you. It means Bond reaches even more people on Earth now. That's a measure of success too. And Chinese money is as good to me as American money. Dozens of films are released every month that reach the Chinese market too yet hardly make 20 million worldwide. Even for the Chinese, a film has to be good enough.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    jobo wrote:
    Matt_Helm wrote:

You are correct, @WillyGalore. Logic has failed @Matt_Helm. Otherwise, a notorious Craig basher wouldn't visit a thread that says "appreciation and news", not "appreciation or news".

Also, I don't care where the money comes from. You reach a wider audience, good for you. It means Bond reaches even more people on Earth now. That's a measure of success too. And Chinese money is as good to me as American money. Dozens of films are released every month that reach the Chinese market too yet hardly make 20 million worldwide. Even for the Chinese, a film has to be good enough.

Aarrrgh!!!
    First of all - less than $60 million? With reported tickets prices of about $20 for blockbusters in China this would mean less then 3 million Chinese have gone to see it (and that in a country that is thirsting for just about every western product). Yeah,sure!
    Secondly - known Craig basher? As one of the very few defenders of QoS this can hardly be the case. Call me a known Skyfall basher and I stand gladly behind it (like any self respecting and logic loving individual!)
    But most importantly - my post was referring to dramaticscenesofQOS "vision" of an aging and dying bond, which is awaited on the other side by Judi Dench (I even shiver when I write this down) and what this would do to the franchise in my opinion. To back this up I told about the conversation I had with this young fellow.
    All this bite reflexes of so many of yours against just about everybody, who is offering less than ultimate praise for Mr. Craig are simply ridiculous (and quite a few other things as well)!
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    jobo wrote:
    Matt_Helm wrote:

Aarrrgh!!!
    First of all - less than $60 million? With reported tickets prices of about $20 for blockbusters in China this would mean less then 3 million Chinese have gone to see it (and that in a country that is thirsting for just about every western product). Yeah,sure!

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&country=UK&id=bond23.htm

That's it Mr Helm. You just keep arguing with the facts...

Matt_Helm wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    jobo wrote:
    Matt_Helm wrote:

Aarrrgh!!!

Could you please cite your source? I would be very interested to know how to they come up with this number. Come to think about it I suspect that they (or you) might get EONs revenue in china mixed up with the revenue of the Chinese movie theaters in total. You see the problem is that even if we double up to 6 millions,then still only six thousands of the Chinese population has seen it. Since we Permanently hear how crazy they go for just about everything out of Hollywood this just doesn't add up
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 6,396
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    jobo wrote:
    Matt_Helm wrote:

Aarrrgh!!!

Could you please cite your source? I would be very interested to know how to they come up with this number. Come to think about it I suspect that they (or you) might get EONs revenue in china mixed up with the revenue of the Chinese movie theaters in total. You see the problem is that even if we double up to 6 millions,then still only six thousands of the Chinese population has seen it. Since we Permanently hear how crazy they go for just about everything out of Hollywood this just doesn't add up

I've just provided you with the bloody source!!!

And just in case you're still in any doubt:

http://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/bond_23_boxoffice.php3
    Oh dear :-B
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    jobo wrote:
    Matt_Helm wrote:

Aarrrgh!!!

I've just provided you with the bloody source!!!

And just in case you're still in any doubt:

http://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/bond_23_boxoffice.php3

Mea culpa. I didn't saw the link and indeed it seems to back you up big way. I stand corrected. Still I find it very hard to believe, that only 0.006 of China got in Line for their first chance to see movie legend James Bond on the big screen ( and which took place in Shanghai as well). I wonder how they can justify prices of 20 Dollars with that result. After all,they should be highly interested to make movie going a mass event. I retreat and try to wrap my mind around it.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    It's no shock Skyfall wasn't big in China. They likely take the plot as an insult as it is the Chinese who torture Silva and create the "monster" that Bond must contend with. They're so sensitive... ;)
    It's no shock Skyfall wasn't big in China. They likely take the plot as an insult as it is the Chinese who torture Silva and create the "monster" that Bond must contend with. They're so sensitive... ;)

I actually doubt these lines made it past the censors. By the way the Chinese have a long and lively history of torturing so I think they probably wouldn't be annoyed by the notion that they might torture their enemies.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Wasn't there a lot of heavily editing when it came to China's role in SF? I thought that's what took it even longer to make it to cinemas there. I could be completely wrong, though.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Wasn't there a lot of heavily editing when it came to China's role in SF? I thought that's what took it even longer to make it to cinemas there. I could be completely wrong, though.

The scenes in which Patrice shoots the 2 guards dead in Shanghai were cut along with Bond's reference to the Triads and child prostitution.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote:

The scenes in which Patrice shoots the 2 guards dead in Shanghai were cut along with Bond's reference to the Triads and child prostitution.

I wonder what Bond's infiltration of the skyscraper looks like then. I'm guessing he goes straight from testing out his PPK to jumping on the elevator or something like that? Must look awful.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 2,015
    It's no shock Skyfall wasn't big in China.
    This is after the fact reasoning. Maybe helped by the fact that there were early very wrong reports that Skyfall was not doing well in China (I remember that well, because I tried to explain that the first figures given here were plain wrong ;) ).

Skyfall's box office career in China was put almost to a total stop when Chinese's Journey To The West was released two/three weeks later, with that movie ending with the all-time Chinese box office records in the end. And Skyfall was actually released in a bad time of the year for box office overall success (the weeks before Chinese New Year)

Skyfall definitely was a success in China given the circumstances, but there's not as much room there for some foreign movies as one thinks, domestic movies are protected, and China can use economic censorship too by deciding when to release movies (dates are not decided by the studios).

In fact, one year later, Despicable Me 2, who had problems with censorship too like Skyfall did, was released in the same poor spot. And did even less than Skyfall.

To give a one line summary : in the two weeks in which Skyfall had some room to exist at the Chinese box office, it was #1 there.

Now, I know that if you only look at the $ at BoxOfficeMojo, you'll see X-Men already riding to the $100M figure in China and you'll think it obviously prove that Skyfall was meh. But this is not the same spot at all, this is not the same number of screenings, and this is not the same delay between international release dates. Much, much less piracy problems with the simultaneous release date of X-Men DFOP for instance. DFOP will be a hit there, but give it the same circumstances of release in China than Skyfall, and things would be quite different if you only look at the $ line at BoxOfficeMojo. The Chinese audience's taste and its alleged predictability is far from the only factor in such comparisons.

• edited June 2014 Posts: 2,081
    Germanlady wrote:
    If you have a chance to see IceHouse, watch it. Its very good and has the - IMO - best verbal banter he had had with any co-star, including Vesper. Wonderful dialogue.

Archangel is good, but nothing special, apart from the topic itsself, which is interesting.

I agree. I think both are worth watching, but The Ice House really is wonderful. Just reading the name of it above made me grin.
    Germanlady wrote:
    Oh dear :-B

And I definitely agree on that. :P I just scroll, scroll, scroll...
    Hi Tuulia, sooo nice to see you, Its too rare these days... :( Hope, you are well.
    Thanks, Germanlady. I think I'm pretty much alright.
    The film was shit, but this clip shows the closest to what I believe is Daniels real self.

For the few, who are interested in something like this ;)

Daniel invited by David Cameron. First the Queen, now him. He gets around

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2652549/David-Cameron-plans-Cool-Britannia-bash-Emma-Watsons-list-Gary-Barlow-invited.html
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Germanlady wrote:
    For the few, who are interested in something like this ;)

Daniel invited by David Cameron. First the Queen, now him. He gets around

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2652549/David-Cameron-plans-Cool-Britannia-bash-Emma-Watsons-list-Gary-Barlow-invited.html

I'm one of "the few". Very interesting. Gordon Brown of course met Sebastian Faulks at the time of Devil May Care:

3405607526_8e744a7b7d.jpg

And, to start it all rolling, Prime Minister Harold Wilson invited Sean Connery to No. 10 shortly after he came to power in October 1964, which was of course many years before the so-called "Cool Britannia".
    Suppose the British follow a bit the Yanks in celebrating their "stars" and mixing it with politics once in a while.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Mendes, Craig and Ejiofor in one room? Interesting...
    Yes, what I thought. We do know, how it is with DC and parties for getting his baddie
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Mendes, Craig and Ejiofor in one room? Interesting...
    Germanlady wrote:
    Yes, what I thought. We do know, how it is with DC and parties for getting his baddie

Indeed! Let the rumours roll...

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Well, I love Keanu and wish him well for this role.

I keep thinking we should be getting real news on Bond 24 soon. In some category - any category - I'll take any bit of real news; that would be great.

Nice Daniel is meeting with Mr. Cameron. :)
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Like The Monuments Men I'll be interested in the final result.
    Thankfully TMM was not a big success, so it was ok to drop out of that. With smaller stuff like this, it can go both ways even more IMO.