The DANIEL CRAIG Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Do we know why Dan dropped out yet?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited June 2014 Posts: 13,350
    I would gather the script wasn't good enough and they insisted on going ahead. Too many times this has happened to him and look what happens.

What I want to know is will he be quized about leaving these two films around Bond 24 promotion time?
    Do we know why Dan dropped out yet?

Yes, it was script problems - not ready.

Sam - I assume, the interviewer will be briefed to probabloy not ask these sorta irrelevant questions.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited June 2014 Posts: 28,694
    Well, in that case at least Dan had good reasons for dropping out. He went through that kind of thing with QoS before and no doubt wanted to avoid that very unneeded stress of working with an incomplete script again. Was that the same case with Monuments Men?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    He's also made comments about how bad Tomb Raider was, so having a complete script for him is a must. Hopefully he'll be in more non-Bond roles after the next film.
    Well, in that case at least Dan had good reasons for dropping out. He went through that kind of thing with QoS before and no doubt wanted to avoid that very unneeded stress of working with an incomplete script again. Was that the same case with Monuments Men?

No, I believe, it was because he wanted to do Betrayal more and not work back to back.

• edited June 2014 Posts: 6,601
    From two night ago, when he was at a law enforcement dinner, where he was the guest of honour. Hair is growing nicely. Lets hope, he continues to let it grow just a tad more and be done with it.

925546_750987338285506_793097719_n_zpscc566f02.jpg
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited June 2014 Posts: 40,490
    Thanks for the picture GL, Daniel is looking as sharp as always. If his hair looks something like that for B24, then I'll be happy. It looks so much better than his hair did in SF.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    I'll posted this in the "Production thread" but i might as well post it here too:

This is copied from David Zaritskys Facebook page "The Bond Experience".
    It's not much information but it is something:

"Hello gang,
    Wanted to share some news. At Tom Ford yesterday, it was shared with us that Craig was refitted at Tom Ford only 4 days ago in the NYC store. In addition to being fitted for clothing there was a discussion of what he might be wearing from a casual standpoint. I was able to see blue chukka boots, a very strange purplish/royal blue jacket, and a VERY cool black bomber. No suits were discussed but most of his clothes will be from the 2015 lines and thus nothing discussed is available publicly yet....watch this space though for more news to come as it breaks and of course right now none of these things might be in the film...but it's a first glimmer......here are some fun pics of our visit (3 hours, 3 bottles of champagne, and too much money later)...also, my wife and I attended a Washington DC event this past Saturday and I was able to wear a certain SkyFall tuxedo...just fun stuff....
    "
    MrBond wrote:
    I'll posted this in the "Production thread" but i might as well post it here too:

This is copied from David Zaritskys Facebook page "The Bond Experience".
    It's not much information but it is something:

"Hello gang,
    Wanted to share some news. At Tom Ford yesterday, it was shared with us that Craig was refitted at Tom Ford only 4 days ago in the NYC store. In addition to being fitted for clothing there was a discussion of what he might be wearing from a casual standpoint. I was able to see blue chukka boots, a very strange purplish/royal blue jacket, and a VERY cool black bomber. No suits were discussed but most of his clothes will be from the 2015 lines and thus nothing discussed is available publicly yet....watch this space though for more news to come as it breaks and of course right now none of these things might be in the film...but it's a first glimmer......here are some fun pics of our visit (3 hours, 3 bottles of champagne, and too much money later)...also, my wife and I attended a Washington DC event this past Saturday and I was able to wear a certain SkyFall tuxedo...just fun stuff....
    "

Cool, that is interesting to know? If true and used? Would this give us clues to locations for the film? :-?
    Nominated for an Emmy. i didn't know, there were sooo many categoeries. Maybe he actually shows up. A recent twitter pic shows CR hair, which is the best IMO. Of course, right now, that means nothing, it just grew to this length by now.

Outstanding Narrator

Game Of Lions • Nat Geo WILD • Wildlife Films for National Geographic Channels
    Jeremy Irons, Narrator

One Life • Nat Geo WILD • BBC Earth Productions
    Daniel Craig, Narrator

Penguins: Waddle All The Way • Discovery Channel • A John Downer Production for BBC and Discovery Channel
    Jane Lynch, Narrator

Too Cute! • Holiday Special • Animal Planet • Produced by True Entertainment, LLC for Animal Planet
    Henry Strozier, Narrator

Whoopi Goldberg Presents Moms Mabley • HBO • HBO Documentary Films in association with George Schlatter Productions and Whoop Inc. Productions
    Whoopi Goldberg, Narrator

I'd just like to leave this here for anyone who doesn't think Craig is one of the most brilliant actors working today.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    What a performance...and John Glen has the gaul to call Craig a poor man's Timothy Dalton? What a bloody idiot.

@Germanlady, are you able to post that recent twitter pic of Craig you mentioned?
    Wowww I totally forgot that Daniel Craig was in that movie. I haven't seen it in forever. I was actually reading today how crazy-into the role Adrien Brody was.
    How big of a part does Dan have in "The Jacket?" I'd see the thing just for him and that character alone.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Daniel was invited to the World Cup finals last sunday.

10487344_10203880445788875_8397869237293561302_n.jpg

• marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    edited July 2014 Posts: 3,277
    edited
    Brady, he is in it just a bit. One scene is missing, as I don't find it, but that's it.

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I've not seen The Jacket before but watching a side of DC I've not seen before in those scenes makes me think that as much as I love his Bond, his appointment robbed us of a gifted dramatic actor.

Bond has shifted his career in a direction that has probably seen him back away from the more interesting work, here's hoping he pushes himself more when he ends his tenure and gives more interesting work. Outside of TGWTDT I can't say anything he's done after becoming Bond has given him much chance to flex his acting muscles much.

His choices have not been great and could do with getting the same agent as Michael Fassbender, now there is an actor who has managed to have his cake and eat it.

The problem is Bond, it really limits an actors career and restricts him of what he can do when in the role.
    @Shardlake, the only films I can think of that DC truly impressed me in post-Bond announcement were 'Defiance,' 'Flashbacks of a Fool,' and TGWTDT. I'd love to see him shine once more in TGWPWF...again, I really hope that sees the light of day at some point, but sadly, I doubt it'll happen. I say after B24, that is Craig's final chance to do it (if Mara is also available, and since Fincher will have finished up a break from wrapping and releasing 'gone Girl'). If not, the chance will have passed and they'll be much too older if they all go on and pursue different projects instead.

In fact, he isn't slated to do anything aside from B24 and B25, in terms of filmography. The only other possibility is the rumored TGWPWF.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    edited July 2014 Posts: 2,044
    Well, Fincher said if I remember correctly that he wouldn't return for a sequel on the Special Features on the DVD/BR for TGWTDT.
    MrBond wrote: »
    Well, Fincher said if I remember correctly that he wouldn't return for a sequel on the Special Features on the DVD/BR for TGWTDT.

Did he now? Well that's a real shame. His style is so unique to the films, I don't know if I'll like what would be done with TGWPWF if another director takes over, unless his style is mimicked in a way, much like they did with 'House of Cards.'
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Did he now? Well that's a real shame. His style is so unique to the films, I don't know if I'll like what would be done with TGWPWF if another director takes over, unless his style is mimicked in a way, much like they did with 'House of Cards.'

In a way I would prefer if Fincher countinued to pursue new projects instead of doing sequels. I mean his upcoming "Gone Girl" looks ridiculously good. Sure, TGWTDT were a good film, but it can stand on it's own legs without a sequel IMO.

In a way I would prefer if Fincher countinued to pursue new projects instead of doing sequels. I mean his upcoming "Gone Girl" looks ridiculously good. Sure, TGWTDT were a good film, but it can stand on it's own legs without a sequel IMO.

But I loved it...I...I need a sequel with all three returning. :-(
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    I thought that the best parts in that film were when Craig pronounced the various name of cities in Sweden, and more often than not sounding like he were drunk because it was way of... :D
    I thought that the best parts in that film were when Craig pronounced the various name of cities in Sweden, and more often than not sounding like he were drunk because it was way of... :D

Haha, I figured that would've really stood out to you! Given your knowledge of it all, was the locale and whatnot displayed pretty well? I've never really checked into where it actually filmed.
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 11,425
    Shardlake wrote: »
    I've not seen The Jacket before but watching a side of DC I've not seen before in those scenes makes me think that as much as I love his Bond, his appointment robbed us of a gifted dramatic actor.

Bond has shifted his career in a direction that has probably seen him back away from the more interesting work, here's hoping he pushes himself more when he ends his tenure and gives more interesting work. Outside of TGWTDT I can't say anything he's done after becoming Bond has given him much chance to flex his acting muscles much.

His choices have not been great and could do with getting the same agent as Michael Fassbender, now there is an actor who has managed to have his cake and eat it.

The problem is Bond, it really limits an actors career and restricts him of what he can do when in the role.

Not always the case. I think Brosnan used the fact he was Bond to do more interesting work elsewhere. Certainly, his non-Bond work from that period is much better than any of the performances he delivered for EON.

I am slightly perplexed to be honest as to exactly why DC has not been doing more and better films in between Bond. Instead he's opted to trash like Cowboys and Aliens. I think his problem has actually been that he's chosen to go for similar big budget leading man roles, when (if you ask me) his real strengths are as a character actor in an ensemle piece. I would love to see him using Bond to get his own film productions off the ground, just as Pierce did.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S

Haha, I figured that would've really stood out to you! Given your knowledge of it all, was the locale and whatnot displayed pretty well? I've never really checked into where it actually filmed.

It was displayed very well, some of the locations are not that far from my city so that was quite an experience to see!
    I think, its easy in hintsight.

- He produced Flashbacks of a Fool
    - He loved the books of the Goldem Compass triologie, so he did the film
    - Defiance must have looked great on paper, had an interesting plot and a very good director, who could do that sort of thing ( Last Samurai is one of my favc.films)
    - TinTin was interesting as it was motion capture and had Steven Spielberg and Co
    - Dream House again most likely looked very interesting on paper and had a very good director (JS of My left Food) That they would screw it up during and after shooting, who could know?
    - Now C&A had more or less the Who is Who of Hollywood involved. Who would know, they would come up with such a lousy script? They ALL must have been blind to its weaknesses.
    - Tatoo - had all the ingrediences to be a great, great film and it was. IMO this role was made for him or visa versa, much more then Bond, because its closer to him. IMO it was the wrong timing to bring it out. Not that it did terrible, but they wanted 300 Mill, when it did 230 mill.

So - if you look it all up, there is a real diversity here and all interesting projects. Even I have to sayd it all worked out, he would have like 4 francises on his hands, so the chances were, that apart from Tattoo, there is someting missing even in the better ones like Defiance. But I believe, not his fault or a way of knowing beforehand. Just a bit of bad luck. Ha there more then for any of the others. For him personally, its probably better, he didn't become the Robert Downey Jr. of movies, but as a fan, it saddens me. He deserves better and hopefully all the next projects will work out better. Once his leading man days are over, he can and will do supporting roles and stuff like Tom Hanks and others do, who cannot be the Lady killer anymore IMO plus theater.