The DANIEL CRAIG Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

BTW . I have a totally different page here for some days and just see, that it made a bizzare mix out of my last passage and i cannot edit. So sorry, if it doesn't all make sense. I try to correct it here:

So - if you look it all up, there is a real diversity here and all interesting projects. Had it all worked out, he would have like 4 francises on his hands, Certainly more, then any other Bond actor had a chance for. But even I have to admit,, that apart from Tattoo, there is someting missing even in the better ones like Defiance. But I believe, not his fault or a way of knowing beforehand. Just a bit of bad luck. For him personally, its probably better, he didn't become the Robert Downey Jr. of movies, but as a fan, it saddens me. He deserves better and hopefully all the next projects will work out better. Once his leading man days are over, he can and will do supporting roles, I believe, and stuff like Tom Hanks and others do, who cannot be the Lady killer anymore IMO plus theater.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @MrBond, then I'm coming to your place one day so I can tour those locations and smoke cigarettes along the way! :D
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @MrBond, then I'm coming to your place one day so I can tour those locations and smoke cigarettes along the way! :D

We've better hope that Stellan Skarsgård isn't lurking somewhere close but a gun aimed at us! ;)

MrBond wrote: »

We've better hope that Stellan Skarsgård isn't lurking somewhere close but a gun aimed at us! ;)

As long as Rooney Mara is there - in full Lisbeth Salander gear, makeup, hairdo, piercings, etc. - to save the day and "nurse" me back to health, then I won't complain too much! ;)
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 11,425
    Germanlady wrote: »
    BTW . I have a totally different page here for some days and just see, that it made a bizzare mix out of my last passage and i cannot edit. So sorry, if it doesn't all make sense. I try to correct it here:

So - if you look it all up, there is a real diversity here and all interesting projects. Had it all worked out, he would have like 4 francises on his hands, Certainly more, then any other Bond actor had a chance for. But even I have to admit,, that apart from Tattoo, there is someting missing even in the better ones like Defiance. But I believe, not his fault or a way of knowing beforehand. Just a bit of bad luck. For him personally, its probably better, he didn't become the Robert Downey Jr. of movies, but as a fan, it saddens me. He deserves better and hopefully all the next projects will work out better. Once his leading man days are over, he can and will do supporting roles, I believe, and stuff like Tom Hanks and others do, who cannot be the Lady killer anymore IMO plus theater.

I think there are still a lot of bugs in the system.

Now that you list the films, I can see that there is a certain amount of diversity. As you say though, none of them have been very successful. I personally found TGWTDT a real disappointment as well. I find it weird. I really would have expected him to make better and more interesting choices. Brosnan made one of his best films - The Tailor of Panama - soon after becoming Bond.

I do think that the leading man role really doesn't always suit him that well.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I don't think Craig is all that bothered tbh. TGWTDTT may not have lived up to financial expectations but it was and is still a good film. It just so happens the original movie that was released relatively a short time before is better and still fresh in people's minds.
    Also, Craig has done two lengthy theatre priductions in which both were critically acclaimed and broke BO records not to mention his casting as Bond has revitalised the series with talent that would have ordinarily not even considered bothering being in a Bond movie. When Craig is done with Bond he'll have no problem getting roles or anything. He's not interested in being a mega movie star. Being Bond is as far as he's willing to go in terms if "super stardom".
    Being Bond is as far as he's willing to go in terms if "super stardom".

To be honest how much further CAN you go? Bond is probably the most famous role an actor can get.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited July 2014 Posts: 4,043
    Getafix wrote: »
    Shardlake wrote: »
    I've not seen The Jacket before but watching a side of DC I've not seen before in those scenes makes me think that as much as I love his Bond, his appointment robbed us of a gifted dramatic actor.

Bond has shifted his career in a direction that has probably seen him back away from the more interesting work, here's hoping he pushes himself more when he ends his tenure and gives more interesting work. Outside of TGWTDT I can't say anything he's done after becoming Bond has given him much chance to flex his acting muscles much.

His choices have not been great and could do with getting the same agent as Michael Fassbender, now there is an actor who has managed to have his cake and eat it.

The problem is Bond, it really limits an actors career and restricts him of what he can do when in the role.

Not always the case. I think Brosnan used the fact he was Bond to do more interesting work elsewhere. Certainly, his non-Bond work from that period is much better than any of the performances he delivered for EON.

I am slightly perplexed to be honest as to exactly why DC has not been doing more and better films in between Bond. Instead he's opted to trash like Cowboys and Aliens. I think his problem has actually been that he's chosen to go for similar big budget leading man roles, when (if you ask me) his real strengths are as a character actor in an ensemle piece. I would love to see him using Bond to get his own film productions off the ground, just as Pierce did.

I don't think Brosnan work was that hugely challenging or that drastically different from his Bond work.

Daniel Craig is quite a more gifted actor than Brosnan yet he's chose to not push himself much at all while in the role. It's obvious him playing Bond has affected his roles, no actor who's played the part has done particularly challenging work while in the role.

I'm sorry but I believe the role does limit an actor to what he can do, I don't think he would have done Infamous after CR playing a homosexual, it was only released after to capitalise on his success. He tried with Flashback of a Fool but although he was good in it the film wasn't strong enough to make much of an impact.

If you consider his work before Bond, without doubt the most varied and challenging roles of any actor who has played the part, before he was cast as Bond he was on his way to becoming a much sort after character actor who could have also forged a successful commercial career.

Michael Fassbender seems to more than any actor of late been able to balance both but if he'd had been cast as Bond I don't think he would have the varied C.V he has, the role limits whoever plays it. Pierce's filmography isn't what I would call that different while he was Bond, yes he did better work but Thomas Crown & Tailor of Panama aren't actually great stretches from Bond and that sappy Irish family film he did is not what I would call quality work.

Brosnan has become far more an interesting actor since leaving Bond, he isn't shackled to it anymore and it shows. I actually thought Craig would buck the trend but with the exception of TGWTDT he has not delivered on his promise since donning the Tuxedo.

I really hope we see the actor who burst onto the scene in OFITN, that still remains his best and most impressive performance to date, that small cameo in The Jacket definitely blows away anyone who thinks he is wooden. I think Craig more than any actor who's played the role has the best shot at really carving out a varied and impressive work after Bond and just hope he doesn't squanders his talent on easy crowd pleasing roles.
    @Shardlake, I would say that Brosnan's work was vastly different than how his Bond was. You had him playing a foul-mouthed, overly sexual, drinking-and-smoking hitman in 'The Matador,' a foul-mouthed, overly sexual, drinking-and-smoking MI6 agent (that's the only similarity) in 'The Tailor of Panama,' an emotional father in 'Evelyn,' and a war-hardened, on-the-run ex-soldier in 'Seraphim Falls.'
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Brosnan tends to get fairly similar roles most of the time (either some sort of secret agent/spy/hitman or the caring husband and/or father figure). However he's definitely got more respectable parts than he ever would have had he not played Bond and has consequently developed as an actor. I strongly suspect Broz himself is more proud of his non-Bond films.

I suspect had he not played 007 he would have probably had a similar career to someone like Christian Slater (i.e. the odd big movie but mainly straight to DVD nonsense).

As for Daniel its hard to tell. He's clearly a talented actor and has been served well by the Bond team, but I agree that outside the series he's had somewhat mixed results. Personally I've not been that compelled to see many of his movies. I felt C&A was mediocre and that Harrison Ford stole that show.
    @Shardlake, I would say that Brosnan's work was vastly different than how his Bond was. You had him playing a foul-mouthed, overly sexual, drinking-and-smoking hitman in 'The Matador,' a foul-mouthed, overly sexual, drinking-and-smoking MI6 agent (that's the only similarity) in 'The Tailor of Panama,' an emotional father in 'Evelyn,' and a war-hardened, on-the-run ex-soldier in 'Seraphim Falls.'

Seraphim Falls was released the same year as CR and Matador 2005, I said his work became more varied after Bond so I rest my case.

Maybe TOP but I don't see a huge difference from Bond, still playing a Spy, just one who swears.

As for Evelyn I know he's Irish but his accent sounded like he was putting it on rather than natural.

That being said Craig's range was far more impressive than Brosnan before or after Bond.
  • RC7RC7
    I'd like to see Craig do a comedy and I don't mean a paint-by-numbers US affair, a distinctly clever British comedy in the mould of an Iannucci or Morris film. I actually think he does the very subtle comedy really well. I'm not a big fan of 'comedy actors' as they tend to overwork it for the big laughs, I prefer 'actors' with an eye and ear for the humorous and I think Dan's got that. The specific one-liners don't work in SF, but there are non-specific moments where he draws out the amusement of an action or line.
    Craig has impressed me with a lot of his films, but I don't think his range altered dramatically from Bond, given how cold and ruthless he plays 007. Brosnan's more light-hearted Bond, on the other hand, looks like a completely different character when compared to him playing Osnard in 'The Tailor of Panama.'
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    I felt C&A was mediocre and that Harrison Ford stole that show.

I agree I guess. Considering how great a premise, cast and crew they had, more thought should have gone into C&A. The film left me wanting after its first act. Dan looked good but had so little to do, I felt like they wasted his talents on what ended as a mediocre sci-fi flick at best.
    RC7 wrote: »
    I'd like to see Craig do a comedy and I don't mean a paint-by-numbers US affair, a distinctly clever British comedy in the mould of an Iannucci or Morris film. I actually think he does the very subtle comedy really well. I'm not a big fan of 'comedy actors' as they tend to overwork it for the big laughs, I prefer 'actors' with an eye and ear for the humorous and I think Dan's got that. The specific one-liners don't work in SF, but there are non-specific moments where he draws out the amusement of an action or line.

I was thinking exactly the same thing. It would be great to see Craig in a comedy.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Layer Cake was sort of a comedy.
    Craig has impressed me with a lot of his films, but I don't think his range altered dramatically from Bond, given how cold and ruthless he plays 007. Brosnan's more light-hearted Bond, on the other hand, looks like a completely different character when compared to him playing Osnard in 'The Tailor of Panama.'

If we are talking since he became Bond I couldn't argue with that but before he became Craig has shown he's an infinitely more talented actor than Brosnan. Bond does not even give you an idea of what Craig is capable of. Like I said I love is Bond but I think as an actor it's probably done him more harm than good as he's seen by many as just as Bond now but he had a very successful career as a character actor before he was cast in Layer Cake, this is where it all changed for Craig.

I take it you've not seen Our Friends In The North, by far the greatest performance of anyone who has ever played Bond and no Dalton hasn't produced a performance on the small or big screen to equal it and he's the only that might have had a shot. Want to see Craig display range look no further than this breathtaking portrayal.

Craig is a sophisticated comedy like Four Lions, plenty of black humour and yes I agree he'd be a great fit for that, he shows a touch of it in Bond and also in Layer Cake.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I still can't believe Ben Wishaw played the Duke's nephew.
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 5,745
    Daniel Craig *may* unveil the all new Jaguar XE Sedan in September at the Geneva Auto Show.

Acting as brand ambassador since the release of Skyfall for Land Rover, Jaguar (a Land Rover/Range Rover sister company) may borrow Daniel Craig for what it's calling a 'star-studded' reveal of its all new sedan at a special event in London in September. Jaguar & Land Rover/Range Rover had many vehicles feature in all of Craig's Bond films, peaking with Skyfall.

This is all purely guesswork on my part, but the connections are there and solid enough to make it a strong possibility. Plus, if he does indeed do it, we'll get to see him and his 'Bond hair' up close, as he'll be only a few months away from shooting Bond 24.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/2016-jaguar-xe-details-f-type-derived-suspension-electric-power-steering-and-more/

The car is said to be Jaguar's rival to the BMW 3-series, as well as the Audi A4 and Mercedes C-Class and CLA. It will be the lowest price point for the company. Expect it to be on the sportier side of its competition. It may even feature in B24.

Jaguar-XE-concept-placement-626x382.jpg
  • Pajan005Pajan005 Stockholm, Sweden
    edited July 2014 Posts: 432
    Yeah, I think it's sad to not have seen him since SF. But, It seems like he did a good job on the play Betrayal recently. I think he has a great screen presence. Personally, I'd say that he does his acting best without dialog, just his expressions sells it all. Especially in SF, his Bond had me intrigued in believing the character's story the most.

Never seen TGWTDT, but judging by what I've heard it's good. I'd like DC and Mara to return for the other two films. Although I don't really get why they haven't been announced. Had it to do with the Box office alone? By the way. My film teacher in Sweden was the assistant director in the Swedish TGWTDT. He said that he loved the opening credits, but didn't care for the film. I hope that was just his opinion.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Pajan005 wrote: »
    Yeah, I think it's sad to not have seen him since SF. But, It seems like he did a good job on the play Betrayal recently. I think he has a great screen presence. Personally, I'd say that he does his acting best without dialog, just his expressions sells it all. Especially in SF, his Bond had me intrigued in believing the character's story the most.

Never seen TGWTDT, but judging by what I've heard it's good. I'd like DC and Mara to return for the other two films. Although I don't really get why they haven't been announced. Had it to do with the Box office alone? By the way. My film teacher in Sweden was the assistant director in the Swedish TGWTDT. He said that he loved the opening credits, but didn't care for the film. I hope that was just his opinion.

The box office of the film is one of the major problems. It "underperformed," which is one main reason why a sequel hasn't come about.
    Pajan005 wrote: »

The box office of the film is one of the major problems. It "underperformed," which is one main reason why a sequel hasn't come about.

I didn't think the film was very good. Strangely underpowered and suspenseless. I also think it suffered from a touch of 'Euro-blamange' syndrome - inconsistent and confused use of different accents. Why does Craig have an English accent in a film full of Scandinavians speaking English with their own accents?

May be the source material isn't actually as strong as some people like to think, but the pattern that has emerged over the past 8 years is hard to ignore - unless he's in a Bond movie, DC is not exaclty box office gold. His string of relative BO failures might actually explain why we haven't seen more of him recently. It's a shame, as he's a good actor. I just think he's chosen and/or been cast poorly in recent years. Apart from as Bond, of course.
    What about Defiance? Is that any good.
    I didnt get on with it personally.For me,apart from Bond,Layer Cake is still DC's best film.

Personally I loved it.

Getafix wrote: »
    I also think it suffered from a touch of 'Euro-blamange' syndrome - inconsistent and confused use of different accents. Why does Craig have an English accent in a film full of Scandinavians speaking English with their own accents?

It never bothered me, but maybe that's just because English isn't my native language. Anyway, I think the explanation was that many Scandinavians speak English without obvious "foreign" accents anyway, and they decided it was not necessary for Daniel to use a fake accent. It's been a while since I saw it and I don't remember everyone else's accents and if his really stood out as very different from everyone, it wasn't something I actively paid attention to. But if everyone was indeed speaking with their own accents like you said, then his accent shouldn't have been a problem, either.

• MrBondMrBond Station S

It is a great film about a angle from the WWII that isn't usually heard about!

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    barryt007 wrote: »
    I didnt get on with it personally.For me,apart from Bond,Layer Cake is still DC's best film.

Of those I have seen, agree. I need to see Munich, though.
    I've said it once and I'll say it again: 'Munich' is my favorite film of all time. I quite liked Craig in it, as well. Always nice seeing one Bond and two Bond villains in the same non-Bond film like that.
    MrBond wrote: »

It is a great film about a angle from the WWII that isn't usually heard about!

Indeed. I had never heard that story and it was amazing to learn about it. The extras were interesting, too.
    barryt007 wrote: »

Of those I have seen, agree. I need to see Munich, though.

Oh, you certainly do. :) I think he's great in it and it's another fascinating story. It's also one of those relatively rare movies where there isn't a black-and-white stance on taking a side of good/right vs. bad/wrong, and where morals and issues are shown to be complicated and without easy solutions.

He has done a lot of stuff I've liked a lot: Our Friends In The North, The Ice House, The Trench, Defiance, Munich, Layer Cake, The Mother, Sylvia, Infamous, Hotel Splendide, Some Voices, Flashbacks of A Fool, TGWTDT, and the Bonds. Some people would disagree with that list, of course, but I really enjoyed those, and he was also great in his small roles in The Jacket and Elizabeth and absolutely vicious in the little role in The Power Of One (which I didn't like much as a movie on the whole). I'm not quite sure what I think of Love Is The Devil and Enduring Love - good, but I found them depressing, so can't say I particularly enjoyed them... should re-watch.
    And then there was that wonderfully disturbed character in that tv thingy, what the heck was it called... *searches the thread for a bit* Oh yes, Shockers: The Visitor. I wish it was possible to buy it.
    I also enjoyed the Adventures Of Tintin. :D Oh and One Life :) He's "just" a narrator there, but a very good one (you can hear he's a good actor just from how he narrates it), and it's a very enjoyable, well made and beautiful nature documentary.

He's a very versatile actor, and I'm looking forward to what he does apart from Bond while still Bond (not a lot so far, unfortunately), and after it (hopefully a lot of interesting stuff).
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    As much as I love TGWTDT, it is extremely weird to hear Dan's pronounced English accent amongst a bunch of Scandinavians or actors putting on that accent.