SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

ggl007 wrote:

Finally! Solid news straight from the horse's mouth! I can already see Q issuing Bond his new car with a few (and hopefully subtle) gadgets.
    this is the first bit of real news since the July announcement.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 12,833
    I was hoping for Lotus but Aston Martins are still great cars so I'm happy. I do hope we get a couple of gadgets in it.
    QBranch wrote:
    It would be refreshing if he didn't drive a car at all. What do you guys think?

I'd like a Bond motorbike. I'd say a Triumph because it's a great British brand (and I own one so I'm a bit biased) but I wouldn't make BMW making a return to Bond. The 2014 S1000R would be perfect

2014-bmw-s1000r-action-83.jpg
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    @thelivingroyale That would be great- a Q-issued bike, 'full loaded' I think is the term. NSNA was the only one, if I recall (although Stromberg and Kristatos' henchmen had gadget bikes along with Volpe). Brosnan and Craig grabbed whatever bike was nearby.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 12,833
    QBranch wrote:
    @thelivingroyale That would be great- a Q-issued bike, 'full loaded' I think is the term. NSNA was the only one, if I recall (although Stromberg and Kristatos' henchmen had gadget bikes along with Volpe). Brosnan and Craig grabbed whatever bike was nearby.

Yeah the only instances I can think of where Bond was actually given a bike are Never Say Never Again and Everything Or Nothing. So an "unofficial" film most fans don't even count, and a video game. I think it's an idea that's more than worthy of making a return and it'd be something different, we've had gadget packed Astons plenty of times before.
    And the type of sport bike you've posted a pic of seems more suited to Craig than a cruiser like Brosnan rode in TND. Also, Craig and Broz look good on a dirt bike when they're not wearing a suit, but I guess that goes for everyone.
    I'm fine with Bond riding a motorbike he finds during an action scene (like in TND or Skyfall) but a motorbike issued by Q would be incredibly unbondian in my opinion. A motorbike doesn't suit a gentleman. Wishing Bond using a brand new motorbike filled with gadgets sounds like a teenager's wish to me...
  • RC7RC7
    edited March 2014 Posts: 10,512
    Do people genuinely want gadgets? I think that could be a big misstep in the Craig era. I thought it was bad enough having the DB5, but an MI6 approved vehicle with machine guns etc seems like it might be pissing in the faces of CR and QoS. I'd enjoy Bond having a finely tuned personal vehicle, that he clearly takes a lot of care of, or a stolen vehicle.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @RC7, now that Q will be more in the story (past the introduction) in SF, it won't surprise me if they give Craig's Bond gadgets. I really hope they don't, though.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    RC7 wrote:
    I'd enjoy Bond having a finely tuned personal vehicle, that he clearly takes a lot of care of.

This is my want, as far as the next car goes.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 4,619
    RC7 wrote:
    Do people genuinely want gadgets? I think that could be a big misstep in the Craig era. I thought it was bad enough having the DB5, but an MI6 approved vehicle with machine guns etc seems like it might be pissing in the faces of CR and QoS. I'd enjoy Bond having a finely tuned personal vehicle, that he clearly takes a lot of care of, or a stolen vehicle.

I would rather that they didn't have any gatgets at all but I'm fine with a few subtle gadgets like the new gun and the radio in Skyfall. Regardless of what I would prefer I think that the new Aston Martin will have some gadgets. I think that for two main reasons.

1. In the Skyfall production videos Sam Mendes seemed very enthusiastic about the Aston Martin having gadgets in Skyfall. He will probably want some gadgets in the new Aston as well.
    2. Q was reintruduced in the last film. Bond having a new car in the next film without any gadgets at all would be a bit strange.

Having said that, I predict (and hope) that the gadgets in the new car would be nothing as outlandish as the ones seen in the Brosnan era.
    I'd like gadgets as long as they're not too OTT, I liked the underwater Lotus and the remote control BMW but something like that wouldn't suit the Craig films. I don't see the harm in some machine guns though.

Like I said though, I'd prefer a bike.
    RC7 wrote:
    Do people genuinely want gadgets? I think that could be a big misstep in the Craig era. I thought it was bad enough having the DB5, but an MI6 approved vehicle with machine guns etc seems like it might be pissing in the faces of CR and QoS.
    For realistic gadgets, I could see a pop out gun compartment under Bond's seat which was an unseen extra on the GF DB5- although we had a variation of it in CR in the DBS's dash. Or perhaps an EMP that transmits backwards from the boot that stops tailing vehicles by shutting off their engine, electronics etc.

http://www.google.com.au/patents/US5293527
    Samuel001 wrote:
    I don't remember them ever saying that. Only that Travolta wouldn't be who they would cast.

It was probably what she meant but she seems to have said they have someone in mind, or maybe I'm reading too much into it.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Travolta will never be cast in a Bond film. People should really try and develop a better eye for when diplomatic niceties are being employed. That being said, I stand by what I said earlier, EoN either already have their actor for the villain or have a short-list of who they'd like and I'm pretty sure its the former.

As for the car, it'll look very nice but I'm not expecting it to be pimped out with crazy gadgets. It doesn't need such gadgetry.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    edited March 2014 Posts: 3,277
    ggl007 wrote:

Thanks GGL, someone posted on Youtube now.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    A motorcycle could work, but it depends on where Bond is working. Had Brosnan stayed on, we would be talking flying cars...
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    The 2015 Aston Martin is the V12 Vantage S, so could it be that?
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 7,653
    Samuel001 wrote:

Wilson and Barbara said at the car exhibition in London that the next 007 flic has a brand new Aston Martin that has not been seen yet, so......... your guess is probably better than mine.
    Sorry to go slightly off topic but did anyone see the heroes tribute at this year's oscars? Connery and Craig were the only ones that made the montage and both were pretty iconic scenes too

RC7 wrote:

AFAIC, gadgetry is the most dispensable variable in the Bond formula. Indeed, it is the only facet I would not miss were it to vanish entirely.

ggl007 wrote:

Thanks GGL, someone posted on Youtube now.

Just watched this video and realised about Aston Martin returning! Be interested to see what this new model will look like?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Exciting news all around regarding Bond 24's development. The search for a villain is intriguing, as is the confirmation that the film will explore more of Bond's dimensions or "inner life" as Barbara called it, though that's no surprise. The news about the film featuring a new Aston is great as well, as that brand will always be synonymous above all others with 007 for me, and it'll be a story to follow as the months go on.
    RC7 wrote:

AFAIC, gadgetry is the most dispensable variable in the Bond formula. Indeed, it is the only facet I would not miss were it to vanish entirely.

Me too. And it never was essential, or at the core of Bond. It is a small, unimportant addition to the already established formula that has taken an illegitimate importance due to a number of factors.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Ludovico wrote:
    RC7 wrote:

Me too. And it never was essential, or at the core of Bond. It is a small, unimportant addition to the already established formula that has taken an illegitimate importance due to a number of factors.

I don't think gadgets work well with Craig's Bond either. I don't want to see any over the top and implausible gadgets, and if they have to be there make them realistic and necessary. @QBranch posted some cool real world gadget ideas earlier that I'd be happy with.
    QBranch wrote:
    For realistic gadgets, I could see a pop out gun compartment under Bond's seat which was an unseen extra on the GF DB5- although we had a variation of it in CR in the DBS's dash. Or perhaps an EMP that transmits backwards from the boot that stops tailing vehicles by shutting off their engine, electronics etc.

http://www.google.com.au/patents/US5293527
    Samuel001 wrote:
    I Hoping an Aston Martin too but don't forget last year Daniel Craig got a V12 Vantage Aston Martin for his Birthday last year. It could be the V12 Zagato more likely.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    I'd bet my Money on an currently unannounced flagship that will eventually replace the current vanquish. I seem to remember that the DBS in CR was a prototype and was actually a DB9 with DBS skin. I expect something similiar with the new Aston and what better way to market the new model than have bond drive one in the new film :)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    All for Aston Martin. It is the ultimate Bond car after all. That or Bentley.
    What I like best in that interview is, that Michael looks well for a change.
    Yes, the Aston is the definitive Bond car. For the books it's the Bentley but obviously these aren't the books. I just hope we can get an awesome car chase with the Aston that (a) we can actually see properly (b) it's not over after only 30 seconds and (c) Craig doesn't horribly wreck it. Every Aston that has appeared in a Craig Bond movie has been colossally wrecked; it's time for the Aston to receive a bit more love.