Robocop (reboot, classics, games, comics)

Comments

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    chrisisall wrote:
    I guess I'll rent that for a dollar!
    :))

Blockbuster needs money, too, y'know!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    The film will now come out on Wednesday 12th February.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Samuel001 wrote:

Well I know what I won't be doing on Wednesday, February 12th.
    edited October 2013 Posts: 13,350
    A five day delay as The Monuments Men has now taken the date it had, 7th February.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

Sayonara Robocop! ;-)
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

Sayonara Robocop! ;-)

The trailer just looked abysmal to me, so I'll take a big pass on it until it hits Redbox for the steep price of a $1.59 blu-ray rental.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

Sayonara Robocop! ;-)

The trailer just looked abysmal to me, so I'll take a big pass on it until it hits Redbox for the steep price of a $1.59 blu-ray rental.

I don't have any plans to watch it in the slightest. I'll happily stick with Verhoeven.
    @WillyGalore, I try to give any movie a chance, no matter how terrible it looks, but I have gotten to the point before where I've turned films off with no intention of returning to it because of how dull or terrible it was.

Take Terrence Malick: I don't like his films. Sure, he's praised for being 'artsy' and 'risky' and whatnot, but I don't like to watch two hour cologne ads. I gave 'To The Wonder' a try about two months ago, and got through 30 or 40 minutes before I had enough. Ben Affleck and Olga Kurylenko in nice clothes chasing one another, hugging, and giggling on a field as the sun sets, all in slow motion. It's too much. I love a good drama and don't require action in all of the films I watch, but there's a difference between a slow-burning/intense drama filled with dialogue, and the dullness that inhabits Malick's films.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    My reaction to the RC trailer.
    peter-weller-as-robocop-in-robocop-2-1990.jpg?cdn=1382642224
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @WillyGalore, I try to give any movie a chance, no matter how terrible it looks, but I have gotten to the point before where I've turned films off with no intention of returning to it because of how dull or terrible it was.

Take Terrence Malick: I don't like his films. Sure, he's praised for being 'artsy' and 'risky' and whatnot, but I don't like to watch two hour cologne ads. I gave 'To The Wonder' a try about two months ago, and got through 30 or 40 minutes before I had enough. Ben Affleck and Olga Kurylenko in nice clothes chasing one another, hugging, and giggling on a field as the sun sets, all in slow motion. It's too much. I love a good drama and don't require action in all of the films I watch, but there's a difference between a slow-burning/intense drama filled with dialogue, and the dullness that inhabits Malick's films.

But I no longer feel that way about films which masquerade as remakes, which are only a blatant attempt of squeezing money out of us. I'm not going to be conned into paying for something, which is only going to be inferior. The original was fantastic and call me cynical but this new version is more about 'kerching' than 'artistry'
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Y'know, I'll be watching something that truly deserves the name RoboCop, the Prime Directives miniseries.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Y'know, I'll be watching something that truly deserves the name RoboCop, the Prime Directives miniseries.
    Wasn't all that great IMO.
    ;)
    @WillyGalore, that's about the majority of Hollywood anymore: nothing is original. I remember seeing a good chart that showed the Top 10 Highest Grossing Films in a certain year in the 70's, with none of them being remakes, and then the Top 10 Highest Grossing Films from a few years ago and seven or eight of them were remakes/reboots/adaptations or something. Nothing is really original anymore. It's why you have so many films that release and make lots of money, but no, that's it, we won't do more! Sure enough, another sequel finds its way out, somehow.

Just look at the new 'Transformers.' Bay set up the trilogy and said that was it, but sure enough, the fourth is now in production. Or what about the new 'Taken'? I thought Neeson said there was nowhere to go and he wouldn't do a third, but once a paycheck was announced, he dove right in. I don't blame him, but filmmakers just don't know when to stop anymore. They have to milk the unoriginal teet as long as they can.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Wasn't all that great IMO.
    ;)

It wasn't as good as the movies, but if it's a choice between Prime Directives and the reboot, I'm picking Prime Directives.
    It wasn't as good as the movies, but if it's a choice between Prime Directives and the reboot, I'm picking Prime Directives.

Gotcha!
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @WillyGalore, that's about the majority of Hollywood anymore: nothing is original. I remember seeing a good chart that showed the Top 10 Highest Grossing Films in a certain year in the 70's, with none of them being remakes, and then the Top 10 Highest Grossing Films from a few years ago and seven or eight of them were remakes/reboots/adaptations or something. Nothing is really original anymore. It's why you have so many films that release and make lots of money, but no, that's it, we won't do more! Sure enough, another sequel finds its way out, somehow.

Just look at the new 'Transformers.' Bay set up the trilogy and said that was it, but sure enough, the fourth is now in production. Or what about the new 'Taken'? I thought Neeson said there was nowhere to go and he wouldn't do a third, but once a paycheck was announced, he dove right in. I don't blame him, but filmmakers just don't know when to stop anymore. They have to milk the unoriginal teet as long as they can.

Just like the only-announced-hours-ago, reboot of Murder, She Wrote.

Sometimes you wish people would say, enough is enough.
    @Samuel001, starring Octavia Spencer. Just looked it up. Unbelievable.

Or how about this: I'm a fan of the 'Star Wars' saga, but is another trilogy necessary? I'm asking the die-hard fans, I really haven't seen too much of it. They just announced the screenwriters:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=110614

That's what I'm talking about, they realize the success of previous films, so they choose to return to it.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

Just like the only-announced-hours-ago, reboot of Murder, She Wrote.

Sometimes you wish people would say, enough is enough.

I've just done a quick google search on it. Rumours that Octavia Spencer will play a hospital adminstrator by day and sleuth by night? WTF has that got to do with "Murder, She Wrote". The clue is in the bloody title! X_X
    It seems like they give everything a few years these days and then decide to up and reboot it. My mom always talked about how much she loved 'Steel Magnolias,' so they just remake it with an all African American cast. Then you have your foreign films, which I discussed the other day about how Hollywood seems to just attack any popular foreign film and remake it as their own immediately.
    edited October 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Murder, She Blogged. ;)

This is the original report:

http://www.deadline.com/2013/10/murder-she-wrote-reboot-series-octavia-spencer-nbc
    I guess a 'Murder, She Wrote' reboot fits along nicely with a new twist on an unneeded 'Remington Steele' remake, of sorts.
    Or Ironside. That worked out well didn't it?

As for Robocop, I liked the first, did not care for the other two and this reboot yet again has me scratching my head.
    I don't recall the latter two, but the original 'Robocop' was fantastic, from what I remember. It's been a while. Just seems like another needless 80's/90's remake that they've been tackling these past few years.

'Total Recall' is down, 'Robocop' is coming up next, they remade 'Conan,' what else is there? 'Commando'?
    Carrie is out now with War Games and Poltergeist on the way.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Carrie is out now with War Games and Poltergeist on the way.

How could I forget? How silly of me. A 'Carrie' remake, because the original was trash and definitely needed a remake many years later. I couldn't add more sarcasm in that statement if I tried.

What next, a 'Jaws' remake? 'Schindler's List'? 'Citizen Kane'? It wouldn't surprise me.
    Or even Ben Her!
    edited October 2013 Posts: 40,492
    I was going to load up the new 'Robocop' trailer and replay it for a second opinion, but...nahhh. I'm good. It isn't worth my time.

EDIT: It appears with 'Monuments Men' and 'Robocop' getting new dates, 'Jack Ryan: Terrible Subtitle' has been pushed back to January 17th, 2014:

http://www.slashfilm.com/monuments-men-now-has-a-february-2014-release-date-robocop-pushed/
    edited October 2013 Posts: 17,691
    Samuel001 wrote:
    As for Robocop, I liked the first, did not care for the other two and this reboot yet again has me scratching my head.
    The first Robocop was a sheer masterpiece.
    Robocop 2 was an unnecessary exercise in viciousness without the clever biting satire of the original, but it looked very pretty.
    Robocop 3 brought back the satire (& music) from the first, but scaled down the language & violence as it attempted to bring heart to the franchise. Unfortunately, the budgetary restraints prevented a 'Hong Kong' look to the fight scenes that the director wanted. Pity, but as it is, I still like the third a whole lot.
    The 90's TV series actually had some good moments, but not enough of them.
    The Prime Directives mini-series tried to recapture the cleverness of the first movie, but turned out looking like an expensive fan-made video (IMO).

This new movie will be slick & hollow, I'm predicting, making even the worst before it seem full of ideas.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Or even Ben Her!

...I thought you were joking.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=110618
    Wait... Murder, She Wrote; Remington Steele, Poltergeist, WarGames, Ben Hur. All of these are getting reboot/remakes?
    FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

I spoilered for language.