Robocop (reboot, classics, games, comics)

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    chrisisall wrote:
    Well, I think it's all poo, which traditionally means it will be a financial hit. :))

Sadly, that's true. It seems like the sleeper hits or the films I do enjoy anymore don't make a lot at the box office or are hated by critics, yet trash like this and 'Grown Ups 2' rake in the big bucks.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    That trailer just didn't do anything for me.
    Exactly my impression too.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    boldfinger wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    That trailer just didn't do anything for me.
    Exactly my impression too.

Granted, it's only one site, but the /Film feedback section for the unveiling of the trailer was mostly negative. Everyone seems to think it looks terrible.
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Great cast but the film itself looks poor imo. Won't be seeing it.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    The one thing I agree on is the human hand, it should be robotic; who knows, maybe at some point it gets blown off and he'll have a robot hand for possible sequels.
    I guess I just don't understand the hate, I think it looks good. Is it because it's a remake or does it just look like a bad film? I highly doubt it's the latter. In the end haters are just gonna hate. ;)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited September 2013 Posts: 17,691
    I guess I just don't understand the hate, I think it looks good.
    If I never even heard of the original, I'm sure I'd be a little intrigued, given the cast, but the suit looks like a standard action figure toy, all slick & such. The original looked like a CYBORG. And when his helmet was off, it wasn't so pretty.

This is expected super-cool 21st Century stuff; I miss the grimy 80's. ;)

Plus: I just got the 1st issue of Last Stand!

chrisisall wrote:
    the suit looks like a standard action figure toy, all slick & such. The original looked like a CYBORG. And when his helmet was off, it wasn't so pretty.

This is expected super-cool 21st Century stuff; I miss the grimy 80's. ;)

I think that's one of the things I like about this remake, his suit (aside from the hand). This is what I would imagine today's/near-future scientists would be aiming for; a slicker and faster Robocop instead of a bigger and slower Robocop.
    I do agree on his face when the helmet is off; I was expecting to see a more messed up face, considering he was in an explosion. I chuckled when he slid the helmet back and he still had eyebrows. He lost two limbs and most of his body is burnt, yet the eyebrows made it. lol
    I like how it looks more like a sci-fi action film and less like a typical 80's action film. I also like that his wife and kid have a little more of a role in this, which will make for better story and character development. I noticed that Anne wasn't in the trailer, so maybe that means Murphy's wife will be taking more of her part.
    Don't get me wrong, I like the original "Robocop" but this remake looks like it could be better.

Don't get me wrong, I like the original "Robocop" but this remake looks like it could be better.
    It will have its strengths, to be sure. It's just that the original was meant to challenge your thinking about corporations, the future, and humanity itself whilst squeezing a few uncomfortable laughs out of you- this looks like clean SF action (to me).
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    The one thing I agree on is the human hand, it should be robotic; who knows, maybe at some point it gets blown off and he'll have a robot hand for possible sequels.

So long as it gets blown off in this film, I guess I can live with that. It still pisses me off.
    I guess I just don't understand the hate, I think it looks good. Is it because it's a remake or does it just look like a bad film? I highly doubt it's the latter. In the end haters are just gonna hate. ;)

For me, it just looks like a bad film. I'm doing my best to judge this film on its own merits, as if the original never existed.

I don't care if the intention of the human hand is to humanize RoboCop, it looks outrageously stupid, simply from a technological standpoint. They have no idea how well that hand will work with his cybernetic bodyworks, and I know they have this problem anyway, with his face and all, but considering that his face is simply human flesh stretched over cybernetics, that makes a bit more sense.

Then you have the whole family angle, which could be very good depending on how they play it. The trailer seems to imply, at least for a length of time in the film, that Murphy has no real control over his actions. If this is the case, then they shouldn't have let him return to his family in the first place, so his family shouldn't know anything about him. Maybe nothing related to his family happens until after Murphy starts taking control of himself, but I seriously doubt that.

ED-209 should be smaller. I mean this in no way relating the new one with the old one, I mean this from a purely strategic standpoint. ED-209 can't be lightweight, and as such, sending more than one into a battlefield has to be impractical, therefore a smaller unit, possibly smaller even than the original, would be the best choice. We're making RoboCop sleeker and smaller, why is it we need to go the opposite way with ED-209?

(On an unrelated note, is it strange to anybody but me that we have Batman [Michael Keaton], Jim Gordon [Gary Oldman] and Nick Fury [Samuel L. Jackson] in the same movie?)

Just from practicality standpoints, this film makes absolutely no sense, even less than the original did. And, hell, for some reason I'm expecting a sword fight to happen between RoboCop with his data spike (assuming he has one) and somebody with a knife.
    Just curious here as to how folk rate the three original Robocop movies...

Robocop: stunning satire mixed with amazing violence made for one of the most thought provoking and entertaining SF action movies of the decade.
    9.5/10

Robocop 2: the satire went simplistic compared to the previous film making the level of violence seem a bit gratutious, and the music was severely lacking, but Weller was still in top form, and the final showdown was thrilling.
    7/10

Robocop 3: lack of R rating kiddified this entry somewhat, but the satire came back to 1st movie level, and the Poledouris music was even stronger. However, the climax lacked the proper budget, but ultimately its heart was in the right place. A Konumichi, I believe. ;)
    7/10

Lemme hear the Robo 3 hate now... B-)
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Oh dear that trailer is utter tosh, just what I expected, Gary must be doing these vehicles to pay for his next directorial gig, I can understand that but L Jackson he's just a Hollywood whore.
    Oh dear, Shard, actors work for a living; are you a whore for doing what pays your rent? Seriously, these guys don't reject high profile, good-paying jobs based on a considered opinion of whether it's faithful to the source material. It's a JOB. :)>-
    chrisisall wrote:
    Oh dear, Shard, actors work for a living; are you a whore for doing what pays your rent? Seriously, these guys don't reject high profile, good-paying jobs based on a considered opinion of whether it's faithful to the source material. It's a JOB. :)>-

Fair enough but he'll sign on to anything, isn't being apart of Marvel's world enough, I can see Oldman's reasoning but Jackson the man must be so loaded.

You like all the blockbuster stuff so you'll defend it to the hilt your taste is testament to that but me I'm afraid it's grown very stale and predictable I need more from cinema that reboots remakes and franchises, your quality and acceptance gauge is on a different planet to mine.
    Shardlake wrote:
    You like all the blockbuster stuff so you'll defend it to the hilt
    You must not have read or remembered all of my posts on this thread & others to say that, but, like Buffy is fond of saying, whatever. :))
    chrisisall wrote:
    Shardlake wrote:
    You like all the blockbuster stuff so you'll defend it to the hilt
    You must not have read or remembered all of my posts on this thread & others to say that, but, like Buffy is fond of saying, whatever. :))

Quoting Buffy doesn't really make me change my mind on what I said and smiley faces are so irritating but it seems the majority must insist on using them, I refuse to conform and no I'm not going to read all this thread I've much better things to do unlike some people who post religiously, just take a look at our post count, my life doesn't revolve round MI6 yours clearly does.
    Shardlake wrote:
    I refuse to conform
    Oh my, I'm sorry, you take yourself very seriously then, don't you. Have at it then, my friend!

That done with, here's a great interview I just found with Fred Dekker on Robocop 3 and how he understands why it failed.
    http://robocoparchive.com/archive/movie-robocop3-dekker.htm

Also, I just finished reading the first issue of Last Stand, and whilst the art was not to my liking all that much, it's a great look into Miller's screenplay and how it could have been from a much darker perspective. Also it's interesting seeing the elements there that were used and/or changed for the final film version.
    chrisisall wrote:
    It will have its strengths, to be sure. It's just that the original was meant to challenge your thinking about corporations, the future, and humanity itself whilst squeezing a few uncomfortable laughs out of you- this looks like clean SF action (to me).
    If it does that well I would be happy enough. The thing is just, when I watch that trailer it doesn´t leave an impression on me. If I see a futuristic cityscape it should either create an enveloping atmosphere or convey a philosphical idea or something. This trailer does nothing to me. The same goes for the characters and story as far as they are shown in the trailer.

But if they place it right, at a time when no other decent film is running in the cinemas, then I will go see it anyway ;-).

I have no issue with the hand though ;-).

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Well, sadly, it's coming out at the same time as The Lego Movie, and my money's already set aside for that.
    Just watched the trailer again, and it occurred to me that the protagonist reminds me of a teletubby when the lid is open. That could of course be used to dramatical effect, giving the deadliness of his weapon side a child-like counterpoint. Like, as @SJK91 pointed out, the old ED looked kinda cute. We´ll see.
    A teletubby? What?!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited September 2013 Posts: 13,350
    1007490143.jpg

It's a children's programme. The first one, Tinky Winky, is gay. Says it all really.
    I know what it is, it's the notion of RoboCop looking like a teletubby that made me say "What?!"
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I thought you might but posted that just in case.
    Not only that, but aren't they all gay?
  • I'm sorry but that looks truly awful. Why the likes of Oldman and Jackson would want to get involved is anyone's guess (although I'm sure a fat salary may have helped). If I want to watch Robocop, I'll happily put on Verhoven's original.
    At least it'll be better then that Canadian miniseries from 2000.... (:|
    chrisisall wrote:
    At least it'll be better then that Canadian miniseries from 2000.... (:|

The only one I enjoy is the first. I hated the sequels even as a kid and I never gave the miniseries a chance.
    The only one I enjoy is the first. I hated the sequels even as a kid and I never gave the miniseries a chance.
    I like the second 'cause it's Weller, and the third mostly for Poledouris' music. The TV series was kind of *meh* (although the pilot movie written by Ed Neumeier wasn't too bad), but the Canadian miniseries made the American TV series look like gold pressed latinum.
    I've just seen the trailer of the remake and I didn't work for me. I just a different style and mood. It's not the Robocop I knew and I saw on my childhood. I'll pass on this one.
    I happened to like "Prime Directives" (the Canadian miniseries; by the way, the TV show was Canadian, too).