Robocop (reboot, classics, games, comics)

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited September 2013 Posts: 17,691
    I happened to like "Prime Directives" (the Canadian miniseries; by the way, the TV show was Canadian, too).
    Oops. My bad!
    But Page Fletcher was like, 5'7" or something! Wow did he seem short even in the suit. And the 'fed to the dogs' stuff was just gross...
  • oo7oo7
    http://comicbastards.com/possible-robocop-reboot-toys-leak/
    ok so i guess this is a film aimed at ages 4 and up
    oo7 wrote:
    http://comicbastards.com/possible-robocop-reboot-toys-leak/
    ok so i guess this is a film aimed at ages 4 and up
    Hahahahahahahah!! I guess.
  • Hollywood just can't help itself can it. Why do they constantly churn out remakes of films that were great first time round? It has nothing to do with 'artistic licence' and everything to do with squeezing cash out of us to watch a rehash of the same story.

I have no problem with remaking a film that was either A) not very good, or B) has aged badly (Ocean's Eleven, The Fly, The Thomas Crown Affair are good examples of this).

My enthusiasm for this film is waning by the day (and it was pretty bloody low to begin with). I'm assuming the studio is going for a 12A/PG-13 rating in order to maximize box office potential. It's pretty much going to piss over the memory of the original film isn't it!

How long is it until we see a remake of Jaws or Alien or The Godfather?
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Action movies always sell action figures. I was, however, hoping that those toys would tell us that the f*cking hand doesn't stay.

I still remember the big 12' RoboCop I used to have, back around age 5. I loved it, because it came with all the RoboCop 3 attachments, the gun-arm and the jetpack, and had the RoboCop 3 face, but when you pressed a button on his back to make him talk, it was Peter Weller's voice.
    "Dead or alive, you're coming with a coke and fries. I'm lovin it"- RoboMcDonalds
  • oo7oo7
    Robocop_UltraPolice_Robocycle.jpg
    seen it all before
    SharkBait wrote:
    "Dead or alive, you're coming with a coke and fries. I'm lovin it"- RoboMcDonalds

That's freakin' hilarious dude!!! =D>
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 2,107
    I still remember the cartoon. Made before Robocop 2 & 3....

Robocop has always been a marketing tool...

(I mean since the first one. Even though it was R-rated. Cus robots r kewl)
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    SharkBait wrote:
    I still remember the cartoon. Made before Robocop 2 & 3....

You mean that incredibly dark toned cartoon, the one that had animated Murphy being gunned down?
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    SharkBait wrote:

LMAO I will never forget this!

=))

Not really dark. Didn't show a thing.
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 1,310

I recommend watching it on YouTube with the annotations.
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 2,107
    ^

I thought of linking that too. Robo has always been a tool of the big corporations.

And, oh so shiny! Imagine if Robocop would have looked like that. Makes Robocop 2 suit ,which was step backwards from the original suit, look fantastic!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    SJK91 wrote:

I recommend watching it on YouTube with the annotations.

LOL I can hear the theme to Back To the Future III in that commercial. :))
  • oo7oo7
    <object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/M1rkShhSvvc?hl=en_US&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/M1rkShhSvvc?hl=en_US&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
  • oo7oo7
    edited September 2013 Posts: 1,068
    hqdefault.jpg
    how did a redesign end up looking like lady battle cop
    RoboCop-3.jpg?resize=960%2C408
    oo7 wrote:
    <object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/M1rkShhSvvc?hl=en_US&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/M1rkShhSvvc?hl=en_US&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Hey! I never got that! That looks like FUN!
  • oo7oo7
    chrisisall wrote:
    oo7 wrote:

Hey! I never got that! That looks like FUN!

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/G3okmRIVSas?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/G3okmRIVSas?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
  • oo7oo7
    Robocop-Helmet.jpg
    hopefully we see a grey verson
    I have a feeling he won't be gray for very long. I bet it's just as an homage to the original, then at Michael Keaton's request, he's repainted black.

(Hmmmm... Batman wants him to be black...)
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 1,310
    Maybe the best thing that will come out of this RoboCop remake will be the original film re-released and properly mastered for Blu-Ray. The current release is embarrassing. I don't understand why RoboCop 2 and 3 undeservingly got proper HD transfers, and the first one did not.

Here's hoping for a double dip, because I would pick that up in an instant.
    I have a feeling he won't be gray for very long. I bet it's just as an homage to the original, then at Michael Keaton's request, he's repainted black.

(Hmmmm... Batman wants him to be black...)
    Another thing that doesn´t turn me on in the trailer: Keaton talking about Robo´s colour as if he were Tony Stark contemplating his latest model. Doesn´t make sense at all for that bit to be in the trailer.

I get a feeling the film will be better than the trailer. It just can´t be as bad.

Keaton will obviously play the role of OmniCorp executive much like an older Tony Stark, leading his company instead of putting the armor on himself. That much I got out of the trailer, and while it seems outrageously silly, I kinda like it. It shows that Keaton hasn't forgotten how to play the billionaire playboy after 24 years.

Now, I imagine the film will be a little better than the trailer. Maybe not much better, but at least a little better. I am hoping they explain how Murphy can survive a car bombing with minimal damage (an arm, a leg and the function of his legs; most people die in car bombings), though I assume they're doing that in a way to sort of say "Peter Weller's Robo was a p*ssy! He got taken down by a couple of wimpy shotguns! Ours survives car bombs!", which will piss me off to no end if they actually do mean it this way. Remake Robo's Detroit looks a whole helluva lot cleaner than Original Robo's did.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    robocop-poster1-405x600.jpg
  • RC7RC7
    edited September 2013 Posts: 10,512
    The bottom line for me is, the original was a balls-out satire, this is clearly EMO-COP. The original is a masterful bit of cinema that is way beyond just a decent action movie. Nothing about this film suggests it will be anything other than an attempt to 'humanise' Robocop, which quite frankly I'm not really fussed about.
    edited September 2013 Posts: 17,691
    I just looked at the suit again, jeezelouise what generic crap. Makes bat-nipples appealing...;-)
    edited September 2013 Posts: 7,854
    Samuel001 wrote:
    robocop-poster1-405x600.jpg

I had to view the image in another tab, but the point is...

They could at least add "Creep" on there.

(Okay, wait a tick, it shows up when I quote you... what the hell?)
    chrisisall wrote:
    Makes bat-nipples appealing...;-)

I'm very grateful to know I have more faith in this film than this man does.
    RC7 wrote:
    Nothing about this film suggests it will be anything other than an attempt to 'humanise' Robocop, which quite frankly I'm not really fussed about.

Interestingly, the original did this without going down the route the remake is taking. I felt Alex Murphy was a man in the original, not a man in a suit, like this Robo is.
    Keaton will obviously play the role of OmniCorp executive much like an older Tony Stark, leading his company instead of putting the armor on himself. That much I got out of the trailer, and while it seems outrageously silly, I kinda like it. It shows that Keaton hasn't forgotten how to play the billionaire playboy after 24 years.

Now, I imagine the film will be a little better than the trailer. Maybe not much better, but at least a little better. I am hoping they explain how Murphy can survive a car bombing with minimal damage (an arm, a leg and the function of his legs; most people die in car bombings), though I assume they're doing that in a way to sort of say "Peter Weller's Robo was a p*ssy! He got taken down by a couple of wimpy shotguns! Ours survives car bombs!", which will piss me off to no end if they actually do mean it this way. Remake Robo's Detroit looks a whole helluva lot cleaner than Original Robo's did.
    Keaton is the best thing from the trailer. Perhaps they could leave out most of the other scenes that are in the trailer from the final film and focus on Keaton, then it might be quite worthwhile indeed.

There is no need to explain how Murphy survived that car bomb.
    First, it says in the trailer very clearly that what´s left of him is about to die more or less.
    Second, depending on the power of the bomb and the angle where the man was standing he can in fact very well survive. Well, not really well, but survive. At least for a while.
    Third, a film that puts a guy in a robo suit really is above and beyond the need to explain the survival of a car bomb. If they want to use his brain, I can buy that. But why his face, when he anyhow runs around with a mask all the time? No, there really is no need to explain the survival of the car bomb.

Son & I just watched Robocop 3, and with all the lacklustre FX in the final fight with the two Otomo's, it's STILL a very cool flick in our opinions. The Tippet FX are still great (as in R2), and the heart of the movie is compelling.
    "My friends call me Murphy; you call me Robocop."

There's no way this new movie will top even R3 for me.
    It's gonna be another Total Recall-like remake, very slick, but very lacking in quirky character & creativity.

I guess I'll rent that for a dollar!
    :))