Robocop (reboot, classics, games, comics)

Comments

Ah damnit... I thought I was hot stuff for owning the rare (and now super expensive) Hot Toys RoboCop figure...
    Now look at what's coming out soon:

Hot-Toys-RoboCop-Collectible-Figure-003.jpg

Makes mine look like... well.... a toy. This new one looks like it walked off the movie set!!

More pics-- RoboCop is now DIE CAST METAL and he also has interchangeable faces and 'damaged' armor. They're also releasing his chair and a brand new ED-209

Hot-Toys-RoboCop-1.jpg
    Hot-Toys-RoboCop-Collectible-Figure-016.jpg
    Hot-Toys-RoboCop-Collectible-Figure-009.jpg
    1305301428c3003b73416fe55e.jpg
    FIG-KAI-5517_15.jpg

...oh BTW now ED-209 talks =P~
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I can't help but hear the Robocop theme as I look at these pics.
  • oo7oo7
    robocop-gun.jpg
  • oo7oo7
    <object width='400' height='224' id='flash16013' classid='clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000'><param name='movie' value='http://flash.sonypictures.com/video/universalplayer/sharedPlayer.swf'></param><param name='allowFullscreen' value='true'></param><param name='allowNetworking' value='all'></param><param name='allowScriptAccess' value='always'></param><param name='flashvars' value='feed=http%3A//www.sonypictures.com/video/movies/robocop/omnicorp/channel.xml&clip=4987'></param><embed src='http://flash.sonypictures.com/video/universalplayer/sharedPlayer.swf' width='400' height='224' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' flashvars='feed=http%3A//www.sonypictures.com/video/movies/robocop/omnicorp/channel.xml&clip=4987' allowNetworking='all' allowscriptaccess='always' allowfullscreen='true'></embed></object>
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    edited July 2013 Posts: 7,854
    oo7 wrote:
    robocop-gun.jpg

I can only assume that this is supposed to be Robo's new gun? It looks outrageously stupid.

At least the OmniCorp logo looks like the OmniConsumer Products log.
    Hey, here's some new RoboCop news, straight from IGN.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/20/comic-con-robocop-reboot-shows-first-footage-to-fans

The article speaks of a great many things that piss me off. Murphy not being gunned down by sadistic drug dealers, but injured (read: not killed) in a car bombing. Keeping the godd*mned hand so that he can shake hands!!! Just about the only thing that I seem to like coming from this information is Sam Jackson's "Rush Sharpton" character (that's not actually the character's name, he's played like a combination of Rush Limbaugh and Al Sharpton).

Oh well, I'll still give it a try once it comes out on DVD. After all, I liked the Total Recall remake.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/20/comic-con-robocop-reboot-shows-first-footage-to-fans

The article speaks of a great many things that piss me off. Murphy not being gunned down by sadistic drug dealers, but injured (read: not killed) in a car bombing. Keeping the godd*mned hand so that he can shake hands!!! Just about the only thing that I seem to like coming from this information is Sam Jackson's "Rush Sharpton" character (that's not actually the character's name, he's played like a combination of Rush Limbaugh and Al Sharpton).

Oh well, I'll still give it a try once it comes out on DVD. After all, I liked the Total Recall remake.

God bless you for that, because I thought it was an overproduced pile of garbage with a truly embarrassing performance from Bryan Cranston.

What I'm saying is that I have even less hope than you for the new RoboCop... :(
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Ah damnit... I thought I was hot stuff for owning the rare (and now super expensive) Hot Toys RoboCop figure...
    Now look at what's coming out soon:

Hot-Toys-RoboCop-Collectible-Figure-003.jpg

Cool, no doubt, but I already own the old Horizon 12" kit (as seen in Robocop 3), and the excellent McFarlane 7" figure- I won't be getting this, at least, not too soon!
    SJK91 wrote:

God bless you for that, because I thought it was an overproduced pile of garbage with a truly embarrassing performance from Bryan Cranston.

What I'm saying is that I have even less hope than you for the new RoboCop... :(

I actually didn't know you could go lower than empty.
    More good news:
    http://filmdrunk.uproxx.com/2013/07/robocop-remake-rated-pg-13-confirmed

It's a cash grab, and the makers of this remake obviously have no idea why the original was so good.

Look, I'm not a guy who approves violence for violence's sake in films, but the original RoboCop used violence as one of its many satirical elements. Same goes for Die Hard - oddly, violence was almost a 'character' in the movie if that makes sense.

Sigh.
    SJK91 wrote:
    More good news:
    http://filmdrunk.uproxx.com/2013/07/robocop-remake-rated-pg-13-confirmed

It's a cash grab, and the makers of this remake obviously have no idea why the original was so good.

Look, I'm not a guy who approves violence for violence's sake in films, but the original RoboCop used violence as one of its many satirical elements. Same goes for Die Hard - oddly, violence was almost a 'character' in the movie if that makes sense.

Sigh.

Of course it's a cash grab. Anything that's not a remake of something that's an undisputed classic, like Gone with the Wind, or The Sound of Music, is practically a cash grab. Total Recall was a cash grab. Dawn of the Dead was a cash grab. Day of the Dead was certainly a cash grab. RoboCop may be considered a classic film by that type of filmgoer (you, me, people like us), but to others, it's simply another action movie with a big-chinned guy packing a huge gun.
  • oo7oo7
    Blood dragon creative lead wishes to make a robocop game
    Are these covers drawn by Miller like the Frank Miller's RoboCop covers were?
  • oo7oo7
    8874.png final armor we have yet to see?
  • RC7RC7
    oo7 wrote:

Anybody read it yet? I thought it was pretty good.
    edited August 2013 Posts: 7,854
    oo7 wrote:
    8874.png final armor we have yet to see?

Get rid of the f*cking human hand!!!!

Although this does look a little more classic than whatever the last one I saw was (and it's been so long that I've forgotten it).
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Trailer:

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Wow that doesn't look too bad actually.
    RC7 wrote:
    Anybody read it yet? I thought it was pretty good.
    I must get this!
    Thanks!

I'm sorry, I'm still not convinced. About the best part in that trailer was when he looks at his human and cyborg hands and the look on his face is pure "F*ckers!" which is exactly what I think every time I think about him having a human hand.

Other than that, the relationship between his "RoboCop" and "Alex Murphy" sides might be good. Gary Oldman, Michael Keaton and Samuel L. Jackson are all doing well.

Not entirely sure about the Iron Man-style helmet, though.
    This new movie is for the next gen, I won't be seeing it. Not in theatres anyway. I hate when they redesign iconic stuff.
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 1,310
    The designs are indeed nothing short of awful - both RoboCop and ED-209. Murphy looks like a guy in a suit, plain and simple. I was hoping in the film the suit would look more convincing than the behind the scenes shots, but it really isn't. Murphy's face behind the mask pales in comparison to the original. ED-209 looks like an ugly Transformer. One of the great things about the original ED-209 design was how "cute" it almost appeared. It was a great contrast with its deadly nature, and fit right into the film's satirical roots.

However, they got a great cast with Jackson, Oldman and Keaton so maybe there is still something to be salvaged. They actually looked like they hold their own in the trailer. Trust me, I have about as low expectations as I can get, I'm just really trying to convince myself it won't be terrible.

Please, oh please.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Terminator (3) meet I Robot, Iron Man & G.I. Joe.

I think Samuel Jackson should not have been in it and of course the movie get a lot of writers include James Vanderbilt who also going to write Independence Day 2 & 3.
    Wow. That was terrible. I agree the suit looks really fake. In original it looked like it really was Murphy's new body, not a thing you could just take off if you wanted to. The face reveal scene in the original robocop looks miles better than it does here.

But since I'm such a big fan, I'm going to see this out of a curiosity. Hollywood is really screwing over Paul Verhoeven. First Total Recall, now this, soon Starship Troopers. What next?
    Wait, Starship Troopers is getting a remake?!
    Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!

That's a great big ol' swear word, by the way.
    Great trailer does not make great movie.
    The sad thing is, that wasn't even a great trailer.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    That trailer just didn't do anything for me. The film looks terrible at this juncture, and I don't see it looking up from here.
    Well, I think it's all poo, which traditionally means it will be a financial hit. :))