Robocop (reboot, classics, games, comics)

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    At least it's a real person in a suit rather than a CGI person. If you've seen the 2010 poster it's a CGI robocop head.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 2,107
    It's going to be a wholly different kind of robocop I feel. More like the cybermen and women in most of the recent cyberpunk fiction. He's going to be more flexible, immune to damage and can do a lot more than a mere man could ever do. At least the helmet looks a lot like the original.
  • I love the new suit. The helmet with its see through black glass and red laser eye is genius.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Yes the cast looks good but this has fail written all over it, remakes reboots rarely work these days it was OK back in the days when it was relatively a new thing like Batman and Bond but this seems to be the default setting for Hollywood now.

From what I've heard the Total Recall ( I don't really like the original much more Arnie then the director) is dumb big budget mess of a film. I was one of those who remembers catching Verhoeven's original on VHS, it came out the same time as Predator if I remember rightly and ever since I've been a big fan of the first Robocop film that much more than I ever did Predator.

Starship Troopers is apparently in the works, both films had Verhoeven's dark sense of humour and an intelligence that the remakes will no doubt be lacking, "I won't buy that for a dollar"
  • ^You should check out the directors earlier work Elite Squad 1 and 2. He most definitely is the man for the job of making a modern Robocop.
  • lol so I posted the picture of the new RoboCop on my Facebook wall and the reaction I got most was 'They're remaking RoboCop?????' :-\"
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    lol so I posted the picture of the new RoboCop on my Facebook wall and the reaction I got most was 'They're remaking RoboCop?????' :-\"

Some people just don't know. You'd think on FeceBook, however, somebody else would have brought it up, though.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    obin_gam wrote:
    ^You should check out the directors earlier work Elite Squad 1 and 2. He most definitely is the man for the job of making a modern Robocop.

It's nice to see someone else who has faith in the director based off of the 'Elite Squad' films. Those are really, really enjoyable, and I got a great rush from watching them.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I've never heard of Elite Squad. What's it about?
    I've never heard of Elite Squad. What's it about?

Synopsis: "1997, Captain Nascimento has to find a substitute for his occupation while trying to take down drug dealers and criminals before the Pope comes to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil."

It follows the Brazilian drug/police force BOPE, and please correct me if I'm wrong, anyone who notices. It's got a very realistic feel to it, and I really liked both the first one and its sequel.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    edited September 2012 Posts: 1,812
    I'm actually starting to warm up to the new armor. The only two things that still bothers me is his chest plate, it just looks too flat or something, and his non-robotic hand.
  • I'm not really one for change, and we have to move with the times, but can't help but feel a bit irritated with the new design. I think kids today will enjoy the new release, the new armor set would look appealing, but it's nothing what I remember. May still go along to theaters on it's release to see the overall release. I've seen all the rest, so may just continue
  • This will just turn out like the Total Recall remake.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    This will just turn out like the Total Recall remake.

You mean awesome! :D

I know it failed but I actually found it to be really fun. Not sure why it got so much hate.
    I'm going to reserve judgement until I see a trailer for this film.
    @QsAssistant, I, too, thought that the 'Total Recall' remake was one of the more entertaining summer blockbusters this year. I had a really good time watching it, and am looking forward to its blu-ray release.
  • Still need to see that one- but I can't help but wonder: Paul Verhoeven must be getting pretty pissed off by now, am I right?
  • WOW, look at this photoshop! I'm hanging on to the possibility that what we see on screen will differ from that behind-the-scene shot, but look at this:

aUEgR.jpg
  • This will just turn out like the Total Recall remake.

You mean awesome! terrible :D

Right @QsAssistant!

The Total Recall remake wouldn't have gotten the hate it did, if the original didn't exist.
  • oo7oo7
    robocop.jpg
    Was that a game?
  • imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    WOW, look at this photoshop! I'm hanging on to the possibility that what we see on screen will differ from that behind-the-scene shot, but look at this:

aUEgR.jpg

What a difference it makes just by having silver and black! It looks a lot better like that, modernizing the old suit in black and silver, making it look much more sleeker and realistic and more like part man, part robot, rather than having the suit all black.
  • oo7oo7
    <object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/h87thkXYyjA?version=3&hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/h87thkXYyjA?version=3&hl=en_GB"; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
  • If this guy isn't in it, the remake failed:

Keva.jpg
  • oo7oo7
    If this guy isn't in it, the remake failed:

Keva.jpg
    law of the jungle
  • I may have some good news for those who hate the suit

I'm trying my best to find the article-- but back when this movie was just 'a possibility', I swear I read an interview with the director describing the scene in the original movie- the part where Murphy gets killed (in his own first person POV) and wakes up as RoboCop. Well the director said he wanted to explore what happened in that transition way more than the original movie did.
    Not unlike the first Iron Man movie-- where we saw two stages of the suit and it was a good halfway through the movie before we actually saw the familiar 'red and gold' version? Perhaps that's what we'll see with RoboCop. Time will tell
  • I may just have to give the original a watch soon, what with the latest release coming out - I won't bother with the second and third, although the latter would be a neat trick as we don't own a copy of Robocop 3. It's not so much 'hate' the new design, my initial reaction was one of distaste, but maybe it could grow on people. Weller hated the orginal set up as it was almost murder to wear, and the new design looks so much easier to cope with, or has a greater maneuverability to it

I still aren't 100 per cent happy with what they've done with Verhoeven's original but as before, times change, whether we like it or not I'm afraid
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 4,813
    New pictures have surfaced-- Looks pretty cool and I am happy to see a big freaking gun in his hand, but one of my fears appears to be true: the damn hand. Looks like it's real after all! :-q

But anyway, some cool pics in the link- including Michael Keaton! (I was worried that was just a rumor)

Robocop_2.jpg20121007-IMG_6114.jpg

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/107786777834250014923/albums/5796809457852298401

*I tell ya- except for the hair, Michael Keaton still looks like he did in Batman
    Interesting how Robocop's hand is human... If he's firing the gun with a bare hand, then it isn't because it's between takes either.
    I think its because OmniCorp wants to make him more relatable to the public. To show them he isnt just a machine. Naturally thats all lies, but OmniCorp is an evil company so its ok :)
    Why did they have to rename it OmniCorp? I liked Omni Consumer Products, it felt more like an actual corporation name than OmniCorp.