Robocop (reboot, classics, games, comics)

Comments

This new look Robocop is growing on me i must admit. :-?
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 4,813
    Intriguing..... :-?

550473_10151185340598631_2145584768_n.jpg

Say-- that's a nice bike.
    terminator2_23_chouette.jpg
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    edited October 2012 Posts: 7,854

I'm going to censor my upcoming language with a spoiler tag. If you don't want to read it, don't open the spoiler.
    MOTHERFUCKER! GODDAMNIT! SHIT! WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH THOSE FUCKERS?! ROBOCOP DOESN'T FUCKING RIDE A MOTHERFUCKING MOTORCYCLE!! STUPID SONS OF BITCHES! FUCK!

Thus endeth my language. It wouldn't surprise me if I get banned for it (or at least get a warning of some sort).
  • Robocop vs Batman!!!

That pic (the bike one) has really put me off this film even more.
    Well now, just for comparison cops do ride motorcycles

*also just remembered, Peter Weller briefly rode one in RoboCop 2
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 7,653
    NO Paul Verhoeven involved!

It will most likely be another Americanised piece of cow dung with better CGi but no story at all so should satisfy the ADHD youth of the world.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start

Yeah, and how many of them are cyborgs?
    *also just remembered, Peter Weller briefly rode one in RoboCop 2

Briefly being the keyword. They knew back then that it was a bad decision.
  • I couldn't remember a damn thing from RC2, as it's the equivalent of putting Diamonds are Forever, Die Another Day and A View to a Kill into a big bowl and adding some horse excrement and giving it a stir round, such it's a terrible, awful release

I'm not one for changes, and once again, the new suit design is just ridiculous. And Murphy (that is still his name isn't it) :-< , shouldn't really be riding a bike in any event. It's been 19 years since the last Robocop release and I don't know now If I'll even bother going to see the next one on release. It's nothing how I remember it, too many changes. Is it still focused on Detroit or is Murphy now cleaning up the streets of San Diego or somewhere? I feel the more I read into this, the more disinterested I become. Robocop seems dead in the water to me from a 21st century perspective..
  • oo7oo7
    Now in production, Sony Pictures' reboot of RoboCop has been delayed until 2014. Originally set for release on August 9, 2013, the Jose Padilha film will now open on February 7, 2014 opposite DreamWorks' Need for Speed.

Taking RoboCop's place is Neill Blomkamp's Elysium, originally dated for March 1, 2013. The original sci-fi thriller stars Matt Damon, Jodie Foster, Sharlto Copley, Wagner Moura, Alice Braga and Diego Luna. It now opens opposite New Line Cinema's We're the Millers.

Moving away from RoboCop's new date is Sony Pictures Animation's Cloudy 2: Revenge of the Leftovers. It's now set to open earlier on September 27, 2013, up against Brad Furman's Runner Runner and the Sylvester Stallone/Arnold Schwarzenegger team-up The Tomb.

The big screen adaptation of the short Pixels has also been pushed back. It was scheduled for a May 17, 2013, but Sony is now looking for a new release date.
    Hmmm--- maybe I'm just optimistic, but this should be considered a good thing, right? I mean, they aren't canceling it- but rather taking more time because they know that what they've got just isn't cutting it.

For example, wouldn't QOS have been better if they took their time and didn't rush it into theatres?
    That would be none of them because it's a damn movie. I was simply pointing out that a motorcycle isn't the most unheard of thing ever
  • oo7oo7

MaskedRiderPhoto2.jpg
    That would be none of them because it's a damn movie. I was simply pointing out that a motorcycle isn't the most unheard of thing ever

Who said anything about motorcycle cops being unheard of? I'm talking about motorcycle robocops.
    RoboCop has been delayed from 9 August 2013 to 7 February 2014, while Elysium – which was originally scheduled for 1 March 2013, will now open in the slot vacated by RoboCop: 9 August 2013.

We'll see it perhaps someday I guess.
  • Well now, just for comparison cops do ride motorcycles

Who said anything about motorcycle cops being unheard of? I'm talking about motorcycle robocops.
    Well now I really don't get your argument. Did you not like the original?

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited October 2012 Posts: 13,350
    As if things couldn't get any worse. I'm in no hurry to see this now.
  • oo7oo7
    Samuel001 wrote:
    As if things couldn't get any worse. I'm in no hurry to see this now.

its in no hurry to be seen
    Well now I really don't get your argument. Did you not like the original?

My point is, I just don't want to see RoboCop on a motorcycle. That was my point the whole time. Never changed.
  • Oh OK-- I just got confused when you started talking about 'real cyborg cops', etc. Now we're on the same page :)
    Nuts- I was hoping he didn't still have the exposed hand but these new shots confirm it. Looks like there's no question about it now: RoboCop has one human hand for some reason (they better come up with a damn good reason too...)

A5f0tVMCQAARPED.jpg

Cool cars though- I like how they don't have a glossy finish. Reminiscent of the old RoboCop cars

tumblr_mbyyzsqbfF1rexev1o1_500.jpg
    RoboCop has one human hand for some reason (they better come up with a damn good reason too...)

I bet there will be absolutely no reason.
    The reason for the hand is that OmniCorp wants to make him not so frightening to the public.
    obin_gam wrote:
    The reason for the hand is that OmniCorp wants to make him not so frightening to the public.

So if I build a real ED209 (the original, not this 50 foot tall piece of sh*t), and I put a human schlong on it, it'll be less frightening?

Does the man's clearly human mouth not count?
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 268
    I can actually understand why the hand is there, what if he saves a small kid or an elderly woman and he needs to comfort them. From a corporation marketing standpoint, having a human hand so he can greet, comfort, pat or whatnot, people who could be afraid of a big robot makes perfectly good sense. You cant just smile at a victim to comfort it. Touching is a very effective way to establish trust and it's a big part of our human psyche..
    obin_gam wrote:
    I can actually understand why the hand is there, what if he saves a small kid or an elderly woman and he needs to comfort them.

Unless they're totally screwing this up with this remake, the whole point of the first RoboCop movie was to show Murphy gradually regaining his memories and humanity throughout the film (set in motion primarily after Lewis says "Murphy, it's you!"). He's not supposed to be gunned down, turned into a cyborg, and then sent out to be touchy feely (we don't need the Murphy from the mid-point of RoboCop 2; *shoots the wall around a smoker* "Thank you, for not smoking.")
    obin_gam wrote:
    From a corporation marketing standpoint, having a human hand so he can greet, comfort, pat or whatnot, people who could be afraid of a big robot makes perfectly good sense.

If OCP (I refuse to say their new name) is now in the business of building a robot death machine Care Bear, I'd love to know what ED209 is.
    obin_gam wrote:
    You cant just smile at a victim to comfort it. Touching is a very effective way to establish trust and it's a big part of our human psyche..

And, just because we feel a human hand, we can ignore the damn near 2 tons of metal it's attached to. I guess you're right, that does make perfect sense.
  • It does make the most sense out of the few logical reasons out there for a human hand, obin_gam, but I want to see RoboCop casually blast enemies into a pile of mush and intestines. Lol remember how nonchalant Peter Weller was? I especially loved when he shot people without even looking at them! He was just too cool
  • Alex Murphy never had a human hand in the other three movies so why start now?, and yet again, having Robocop ride a 'bike just seems a bit questionable. I saw the original from 1987 recently, and they're going so far away from what I remember and even the subsequent (poor) sequels, that it's turning into a bit of a mess now from all accounts

Robocop seems to be going a bit tame even. At least we'll always have the originals and best to fall back on if this fourth release does turn out to be a big disappointment
  • oo7oo7
    RoboCop has one human hand for some reason (they better come up with a damn good reason too...)

I bet there will be absolutely no reason.

didnt they tell them to lose the arm? perhaps they will eventually in this
    It does make the most sense out of the few logical reasons out there for a human hand, obin_gam, but I want to see RoboCop casually blast enemies into a pile of mush and intestines. Lol remember how nonchalant Peter Weller was? I especially loved when he shot people without even looking at them! He was just too cool
    Alex Murphy never had a human hand in the other three movies so why start now?, and yet again, having Robocop ride a 'bike just seems a bit questionable. I saw the original from 1987 recently, and they're going so far away from what I remember and even the subsequent (poor) sequels, that it's turning into a bit of a mess now from all accounts

Robocop seems to be going a bit tame even. At least we'll always have the originals and best to fall back on if this fourth release does turn out to be a big disappointment

The story in this remake is that we see the gradual tuning murphy from human into robot. And OmniCorp (
    OCP is in the movie, OmniCorp is a subsidiary of it
    ) want to make the robocop project not scare the crap out of people. Thats why they are making him seem more human than he really is. Its a sort of artificial humanity scam basically.
    I wont give too much away but you can t compare the originals story to this one. They are too different.
  • oo7oo7
    then why use the title....
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 268
    Because its a different interpretation of the same character. Thats what remakes should do. Not copy the original, but take a concept and make something own out of it.