Robocop (reboot, classics, games, comics)

Comments

• At least that one looks like freaking RoboCop....

If only we could get a SEQUEL with Weller and Verhoeven returning....
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited September 2012 Posts: 13,350
    You just know this film is a bad idea, as if the last two films weren't bad enough, now we get a reboot.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I like the look. Hope that concept art is real.
    The new concept art looks better. They just modernized Robo, not changing his appearance completely.
    oo7 wrote:
    new film sounds awful. i wonder what game might emerge from it....

here's some concept art
    http://geekmodeonline.com/more-concept-art-for-robocop-remake/
    Looks better than the other concept art posted on the previous page, but RoboCop does not carry a flippin' sword. Hopefully that idea doesn't leave the drawing stage.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    RoboCop looks good. RoboCop 2.0 beside him looks cool. I like the Robo police car. reminds me of the 1998 cartoon. I don't like the Sword, reminds me too much of Raiden from MGS2 and 4.
  • Yeah if they went with that look minus the sword, there's potential
    Yeah if they went with that look minus the sword, there's potential

I'm going to give this movie a chance. I'm glad he doesn't look like the picture on the first page. that would have ruined it for me.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    The look of RoboCop himself: cool. The look of Robo2: cool. The RoboMobile: f*cking stupid. The RoboSaber: f*cking stupid. Note: I don't know if they're actually called the RoboMobile and the RoboSaber, but I'm going to call them that until the film comes out.
  • I don't think we'll even go to see the new release, and if above responses are anything to go by, maybe a miss won't be so bad. They'll never beat the original for me. Every subsequent release after 1987 was a failure for me, so I'm guessing before time, I maybe won't like the latest release they're going to bring out. Time will tell
    Too Bad Gustav Graves got diced up, He'll never know how to redesign his suit! =((
  • Having that idea in a James Bond movie was more Robo-Flop :-w
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I'm going to wait until this is out on DVD to see it. ED-209 looks cool, but being so damn tall? Failure. RoboCop looks cool, but having a friggin' lightsaber? Failure. The act of giving RoboCop his own f*cking car? Epic Failure. What's next, will RoboCop be able to turn into a human submarine and therefore be immune to drowning? Will his boots turn into jets?
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 4,813
    I hope Robo won't be leaping around doing backflips and shit- one thing I loved about Weller is that he didn't need to run!

As for the car, I'm interested in seeing what they do with that-- check out the graphic novel 'Frank Miller's RoboCop'. It's basically what he wanted to release in the theatre (that's RoboCop 2 to us) but the studios told him 'there's no way in hell we can film this'.

250px-Frank_Miller_RoboCop_1.jpg
    (don't worry-- Frank Miller only drew the covers. The inside of the book is very well-drawn, lol)

Just as in the movie, there's the part where Murphy is wiped out and brought back 'politically correct', only in the book, they took his public image one step further by giving him his own car, complete with 'RoboCop' logo on the side :P

I love that book- you should definitely check it out if you can find it. It's what RoboCop 2 (and 3 for that matter) would have been if not for studio interference
    (don't worry-- Frank Miller only drew the covers. The inside of the book is very well-drawn, lol)

Hey, Frank Miller is a great artist. His work on The Dark Knight Returns and Sin City should tell everyone that. Plus, those covers look amazing (even thought nearly every one has Murphy bloodied and beaten and near-death, even if he doesn't appear that way in the issue).
    Just as in the movie, there's the part where Murphy is wiped out and brought back 'politically correct', only in the book, they took his public image one step further by giving him his own car, complete with 'RoboCop' logo on the side :P

I hated that part. RoboCop should never have a logo, or a car.
    I love that book- you should definitely check it out if you can find it. It's what RoboCop 2 (and 3 for that matter) would have been if not for studio interference

You should also check out RoboCop Vs Terminator, an equally great book that I'd love to see turned into an animated film.
    Hey, Frank Miller is a great artist. His work on The Dark Knight Returns and Sin City should tell everyone that. Plus, those covers look amazing (even thought nearly every one has Murphy bloodied and beaten and near-death, even if he doesn't appear that way in the issue).
    His style varies- I do love his Dark Knight Returns, but then look at the sequel, Dark Knight Strikes Again for the style I dislike. It looks like he drew everything with one of those fat Magnum Markers. And it's that style he uses for the RoboCop covers. Some may like it, but it's not for me

Awesome
    dark-knight-returns.jpg

Terrible(and that mess is supposed to be Superman...)
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRP_bUU6V1z3sxpGDnpPKNtJu-9u4JGBwPPNMa3q3-psQ2C_ai9PA

You should also check out RoboCop Vs Terminator, an equally great book that I'd love to see turned into an animated film.
    Oh hell yes- one of my earliest comic store memories was buying one of those new as they were being released! Wow, that was 20 damn years ago!! I remember it was issue 3 of 4 and I only bought it because I had watched the movies (unbeknownst to my parents, lol) and loved both characters. I hardly comprehended the story, what with all the time travel and since I started at issue 3, but I loved it anyway. Needless to say, I've since gone back and bought all 4, and the trade paperback-- but I still kept that original, very tattered, issue 3 :x

rvt3.jpg
  • That would be something though, Terminator vs Robocop in movie format. They did it for Alien vs Predator so why not the former? Who would win too? If we went with Schwarzenegger's original model from 1984, where he was seemingly indestructable, and the original creation from 87, I think Terminator would win, as Robocop just seemed more vulnerable, as when he was in Dick Jones' office in Detroit and the ED-209 appeared and almost obliterated him, and the subsequent near death in the underground garage before Lewis came to his rescue, so Terminator alone should win on that, he was simply more durable and harder to kill
    But, in the end it would be cool to see RoboCop win just to hear Murphy say, "You're terminated, f*cker!"
    In the comic
    RoboCop does win. And not only that, there's a funny bit at the very end where everything in the future is destroyed and one last Terminator manages to make it to the Time Machine before it blows up, but since it was damaged it sent it back waaaay too far, and it gets stepped on by a DINOSAUR!! :O

Just this past year there was a brand new RoboCop vs Terminator story called 'Kill Human'. It was absolutely dreadful. It had so much potential because it involved Robo going back in time and actually interfering with the events of the 'Terminator 2' movie!

He shows up right at this point in the movie:
    T2JDHandheldMinigun-9.jpg
    and fights both the 'Arnold' Terminator and the T-1000. As I said, it had the potential to be awesome, but good god, it was just awful. The art was terrible (not like the wonderful original comic) and they treated RoboCop like 'a regular guy in a suit'- he even cussed like a sailor! So weird.
    Oh and in the end,
    EVERYONE dies

Get a load of this (hidden due to language)
    robocop_mf.jpg
    Good Lord, Murphy! Sure, I wanted him to say "You're terminated f*cker", but I only wanted him to say it once, and only use a swear that one time.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 1,310
    SharkBait wrote:
    Not even close to being as cool as this. Strike one for the remake (though I'll still see it of course).
  • Hmmmm, looks like a guy in a rubber suit...
    I liked how in the original they purposely got a thin actor so the suit looked like his body.

But of course this is just a behind-the-scenes shot. In the actual movie I bet it'll look just fine.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Yeah, I'm doing my best not to judge. When I first saw a pic of the new "Dredd" movie I thought it/he looked stupid, then I saw a trailer and now I think it/he looks awesome. I also felt the same way with Ledger as the Joker and then I saw the film and now no one will own that role but him.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Just like many others have said online, I'll wait to see some footage of it before making a final judgment. Plus, some seem to think that isn't Joel in the suit, so unless it's just a stunt double, might there be other robots and this isn't the RoboCop suit? Don't shoot me down, I haven't seen the original in a long, long, long time, so I don't remember anything from it.
  • I know the original release from 1987 inside out and back to front, it's the best of the lot, and may well be including the next release, but the new suit/design looks nothing like what Weller or Burke were featured in. I don't like the new design, but times change of course :-<
    The new suit:

robocop-new-armor-set-photo-600x399.jpeg
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    That's what we were discussing, @Samuel001. What are your thoughts on it? A good portion of us are going to wait until we see footage of the suit in action.
    edited September 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Oh, right. I didn't see the image and the link completely passed me by. Well, my thoughts? Yeah, let's what and see. It can't be all bad.
    All I want is for this Murphy to have the same limitations as the original Murphy, although I know he'll be able to make insane jumps and crazy stunts.