Robocop (reboot, classics, games, comics)

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    My series ranking:
    1: RoboCop (1987)
    2: RoboCop (2014)
    3: RoboCop 2

4: RoboCop Prime Directives

5: RoboCop 3

Robocop 3 at the bottom?????

Okay then, I'll never see this movie. Thanks. ;)
  • My friend, I would rank Robo 3 about as low as Batman & Robin. It's that bad!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited February 2014 Posts: 16,333
    My friend, I would rank Robo 3 about as low as Batman & Robin. It's that bad!

Nothing is as bad as Man of Steel.

I'll take Robocop 3 and Batman and Robin over that.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Murdock wrote:

Really? It could be because I wasn't a Superman fan whatsoever when I went in to see 'Man of Steel,' but personally, I loved it, and don't think anything could be worse than 'Batman & Robin.' I haven't seen 'Robocop 3,' though.
    edited February 2014 Posts: 17,691
    I actually like Batman & Robin as a throwback to the 60's goofy satire.
    However, Robo 3 is a standup earnest superhero flick with real HEART if not the budget for great FX in the final reel.
    Murdock wrote:
    THANK YOU! CGI-fests don't replace character & simple FUN in the movies IMO.

That said, I admire the message of the new Robo film, and I'm glad to see it spread. It's an important statement in a good action venue.
    And yes, I will eventually see it out of curiosity at Redbox or Netflix.....
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Really? It could be because I wasn't a Superman fan whatsoever when I went in to see 'Man of Steel,' but personally, I loved it,
    Have you ever seen Superman: The Movie with Christopher Reeve?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    chrisisall wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Really? It could be because I wasn't a Superman fan whatsoever when I went in to see 'Man of Steel,' but personally, I loved it,

Ashamed to say I haven't. I think the reason I'm not a big Superman fan is I was never, ever into or interested in the character, and then when I saw 'Superman Returns' (the only Superman film I've seen aside from 'Man of Steel'), it solidified the fact that Superman definitely wasn't for me.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    when I saw 'Superman Returns' (the only Superman film I've seen aside from 'Man of Steel'), it solidified the fact that Superman definitely wasn't for me.
    Then I'll speak for Murdock as well as myself here: EFFIN' SEE SUPERMAN:THE MOVIE NOW!!!!

Seriously, it's really a nice, beautiful, funny, and emotionally engaging ride.
    edited February 2014 Posts: 16,333
    Creasy47 wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

Ashamed to say I haven't. I think the reason I'm not a big Superman fan is I was never, ever into or interested in the character, and then when I saw 'Superman Returns' (the only Superman film I've seen aside from 'Man of Steel'), it solidified the fact that Superman definitely wasn't for me.

Check out my in depth review of the 78 Superman movie also watch it. It was very uplifting. It's a way better movie.

Man Of Steel was also the first Superman movie I saw, but After seeing the 78 original, I just couldn't believe the massive betrayal MOS was to the Superman Character. Superman was never meant to be "Dark and Gritty".
    Murdock wrote:
    After seeing the 78 original, I just couldn't believe the massive betrayal MOS was to the Superman Character. Superman was never meant to be "Dark and Gritty".
    We SO reach here. \:D/
    Well, a long story is a a short story. I was born in 1985, so this will officially be the first robofilm I will see in the cinema. If it's a good thing or a bad thing I let the viewer decide (me). But for me, nothing can beat the original Robocop.
  • chrisisall wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    when I saw 'Superman Returns' (the only Superman film I've seen aside from 'Man of Steel'), it solidified the fact that Superman definitely wasn't for me.
    Then I'll speak for Murdock as well as myself here: EFFIN' SEE SUPERMAN:THE MOVIE NOW!!!!

Seriously, it's really a nice, beautiful, funny, and emotionally engaging ride.
    Agreed, definitely see Superman: The Movie. It's a classic- I would even go so far as to call it a family movie. You will wish Superman was real when the movie is over

It looks as though RoboCop will be lucky to earn even $25mil at the U.S. box office since it's release on Wednesday.

Good. No sequel then! <:-P
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    As long as it doesn't do too well elsewhere.
    $130mil budget. Taken less than $60mil worldwide so far. It looks quite likely that it's going to flop.
    Lay out the celebration anthem.
    edited February 2014 Posts: 13,350
    $130mil budget. Taken less than $60mil worldwide so far. It looks quite likely that it's going to flop.

Now, it's up to $96 million worldwide. It won't be a hit but may end up making twice it's budget when all is said and done.
    Samuel001 wrote:

Now, it's up to $96 million worldwide. It won't be a hit but may end up making twice it's budget when all is said and done.

I was unsure how up to date those earlier figures were when I posed them. It still looks like it's going to struggle to get near $200mil.
    edited February 2014 Posts: 13,350
    Not a bad total if the film had cost less to make. I'll wait for the Blu-ray.
    If there's any justice, it'll quickly forgotten about.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 4,813
    One day I'd still love to see this on the big screen

Robocop_VS_Terminator.jpg

I mean if they did Freddy vs Jason and Alien vs Predator, then WHY NOT??
    This is the closest we'll get to that so far. ;)
    Unlike in the old movie, in this version they actually show what's left of Murphy. It was pretty shocking, especially considering what they showed in the trailer:

Sin-t%C3%ADtulo-22.jpg

...'cause that's not it!

Big spoiler ahead:
    nf000_publicityframes_nf1630040_v001_after_2kaxp_vdf8.1060.jpg
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Yes, or SUPERMAN 4-QUEST FOR PEACE or DAD.
    nf000_publicityframes_nf1630040_v001_after_2kaxp_vdf8.1060.jpg

Here come my childhood Robocop 2 flashbacks... @-)
    @Agent007391, @WillardWhyte & @Murdock - Not sure if you guys still plan on seeing this movie still but I know you both are Metal Gear Solid fans like myself. There's a pretty cool MGS4 reference that HAD to be on purpose. I'll put it behind the spoiler tags though in case you still plan on seeing the movie
    In the final battle, RoboCop gets his arm pinned under the destroyed Ed-209 and brakes it off- just like Raiden did in MGS4

Yes, or SUPERMAN 4-QUEST FOR PEACE or DAD.
    'Destroy Superman NOW'

giphy.gif

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    In the final battle, RoboCop gets his arm pinned under the destroyed Ed-209 and brakes it off- just like Raiden did in MGS4

There's a bigger MGS4 reference than that, the g*ddamn ED-209s are practically Gekkos. I've not seen the film, as I've better things to spend my money on (like MGS5), so I'll wait until it's in a Redbox and spend a dollar on it, but the scene in one of the trailers (the "Robo-phobic" trailer, that starts off with Sam Jackson talking about how the US doesn't like robots on the streets) that has the Gekko-209s walking through a Middle Eastern city with the Cylons reminded me of the first real trailer for MGS4, when Snake gets to a window and watches a convoy of APCs drive through a city with Gekko walking with them. If the writers/director/VFX guys didn't play MGS4 before making this movie, I'd be amazed.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 4,622
    Both loved and hated the new Robocop.
    Loved that it was an entertaining, colourful escapist popcorn flick with exaggerated characters. Good fun in that sense. Well cast. Enjoyable romp.
    Hated the absolutely brutal, hamfisted attempts at contemporary social commentary. Just awful. Embarassing even. These new filmmakers should have let such stuff reamain with the much smarter original. Paul Verhoeven they are not.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 4,813
    I re-read the old 90's RoboCop vs The Terminator trade and felt really nostalgic. I've actually wanted to make this for years- but I'm gonna get it done now! All I'm waiting for is the Terminator shipping from Amazon so I can use his arms and other misc parts.

This is going to look so awesome; I bought some CHROME spraypaint from Autozone, and I was thinking about a neon red for the visor.

Here's where I'm at so far- he's just primed, and I'm going through my old parts for something that can pass for the rocket arm and all that stuff on his back.

Will update as I go!

photo1_zps597df17d.jpg
    photo3_zps2acdf0e7.jpg
    robcopterminator_zps31b0c6c7.jpg
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Is the incredibly large pair of legs in the background a Batsuit?