Robocop (reboot, classics, games, comics)

Comments

• QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Another review that says it's a good film.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/11/5398810/robocop-2014-review

IMHO, I think it looks good and I'm happy to hear that there's more story than over used OTT action, unlike how most sci-fi films seem to be these days.
    Really at this point the only thing that bothers me is his black armor with the red light on the helmet. My hope is he'll be back in his grey armor (the first pic in the review) by the end of the film. I'm even accepting the human hand at this point but I still hope he gets a robotic hand by the end.
  • chrisisall wrote:
    That's disarming.

Had the film been "disarmed" (in other words, had that stupid f*cking human hand taken out), maybe there would have been less complaining. Anybody who's wasted their money to see the film, does he eventually lose the human hand?
    My friend saw it already and I asked him the same thing. Here's what he said
    No. But honestly there is a scene where they show him and the hand adds to the effectiveness of the scene like 1000x. It did bother me a bit for a chunk of the movie though, lol
    I'm cool with that I think- I'm curious to see the scene he's referring to. I still think they could have given him a glove or something though
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I've read a bunch of reviews now, and my feeling is that severe fans of the Robocop of the past (like me) will be mostly disappointed whereas more open minded fans or people new to it will find it to be a good film.
  • I saw the original in '87 when it was released, along with the second and third, three, and another three years later respectively, and nothing matches up to the sheer quality of Weller's first appearance. Not really a fan of the series, at least not on the level as James Bond, but had enough interest to go and see each individual release and can just about visualize every scene from the original film. I don't think I'll even go and see the new release. If it's not Weller in the lead role then it simply isn't Robocop from this perspective

Understand they've done some significant tampering with the character also and the overall appearance is so changed from what many will remember, so looks like a dead issue and guess my last (theater) watch of this crime fighting character would be twenty years back with the release of the third. It's been too long to make a new release after the last and for original fans, as with some others on these pages, maybe just aren't going to like what they've done to the character we once knew and admired
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I saw the original in '87 when it was released, along with the second and third, three, and another three years later respectively, and nothing matches up to the sheer quality of Weller's first appearance. had enough interest to go and see each individual release and can just about visualize every scene from the original film. I don't think I'll even go and see the new release. If it's not Weller in the lead role then it simply isn't Robocop from this perspective

Wasn't Weller only in the first two? If you saw the others that Weller wasn't in, then why wouldn't you see the new one?

I saw the original in '87 when it was released, along with the second and third, three, and another three years later respectively, and nothing matches up to the sheer quality of Weller's first appearance. had enough interest to go and see each individual release and can just about visualize every scene from the original film. I don't think I'll even go and see the new release. If it's not Weller in the lead role then it simply isn't Robocop from this perspective

Wasn't Weller only in the first two? If you saw the others that Weller wasn't in, then why wouldn't you see the new one?

Yes Robert Burke was in the 3rd film. Weller had the good sense to steer clear or that one and even Nancy Allen has the good fortune to die early on.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Yes Robert Burke was in the 3rd film. Weller had the good sense to steer clear or that one and even Nancy Allen has the good fortune to die early on.

On her own wishes because she knew how bad it was going to be and specifically asked to be killed off in the first reel.
    Murdock wrote:

On her own wishes because she knew how bad it was going to be and specifically asked to be killed off in the first reel.

Although if she had enough integrity she would have said no to the film, like Weller did. I guess the pay cheque was just too tempting to say no ;-)

Murdock wrote:

Although if she had enough integrity she would have said no to the film, like Weller did. I guess the pay cheque was just too tempting to say no ;-)

Yeah I never saw her in any other movies before or after the Robocop franchise so yeah some money is good. :P
    Murdock wrote:
    Murdock wrote:

Yeah I never saw her in any other movies before or after the Robocop franchise so yeah some money is good. :P

She's best know for her roles in Carrie, Blow Out and Dressed To Kill, all of them Brian DePalma films.
  • I knew Weller only did the two (1987, 1990) before Burke did the final release in '93 but the bottom line is, even though the second and third were poor, especially the latter, the Robocop series just doesn't generate the interest that I once had. With all movie franchises it seems now, the damn producers just don't know when to stop sometimes. For those who saw the original in 1987 it was the best release then, and has been up until now, and will continue to be so. I got no real tangible interest in going to see this new release, especially as they've tampered with a character I feel I many no longer recognize

ps Allen also starred with none other than Roger Moore in some detective story from the 1990s but damned if I can recall the title - guess it shows just what an obscure picture it must of been
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 6,396
    I knew Weller only did the two (1987, 1990) before Burke did the final release in '93 but the bottom line is, even though the second and third were poor, especially the latter, the Robocop series just doesn't generate the interest that I once had. With all movie franchises it seems now, the damn producers just don't know when to stop sometimes. For those who saw the original in 1987 it was the best release then, and has been up until now, and will continue to be so. I got no real tangible interest in going to see this new release, especially as they've tampered with a character I feel I many no longer recognize

ps Allen also starred with none other than Roger Moore in some detective story from the 1990s but damned if I can recall the title - guess it shows just what an obscure picture it must of been

Yes with Malcolm McDowell as the villain I think.

Just looked it up - The Man Who Wouldn't Die.

Only watched it once. It was pretty bloody awful.
    This is all bass ackwards. Robo 2 had a lot of production value & Weller, but it was a lousy & badly told story with s**t music. Robo 3 lost Weller, but got back Poledouris and had a GOOD story. The FX suffered severely due to budget restraints, but overall 3 is just a better effort than 2 IMO.
    chrisisall wrote:
    This is all bass ackwards. Robo 2 had a lot of production value & Weller, but it was a lousy & badly told story with s**t music. Robo 3 lost Weller, but got back Poledouris and had a GOOD story. The FX suffered severely due to budget restraints, but overall 3 is just a better effort than 2 IMO.

I dislike both. Neither deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Verhoeven's original.
    My robocop rank.

Robocop 1.
    Robocop Alpha Command. (1998 cartoon)
    Robocop 3.
    Robocop 2.
    Murdock wrote:
    Dude, was that actually that good? I've never seen it!
    :-?
    chrisisall wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    Dude, was that actually that good? I've never seen it!
    :-?

I liked it. I know there was another animated series in the late 80's which was awful. But the 98 cartoon was pretty fun. And the music was kick @$$.

Murdock wrote:
    I know there was another animated series in the late 80's which was awful.
    THAT was the one I was thinking of...
    chrisisall wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    I know there was another animated series in the late 80's which was awful.
    THAT was the one I was thinking of...

This is what I'm talking about. ;)
    I've never seen it! Thanks.
    chrisisall wrote:
    I've never seen it! Thanks.

You're welcome. :D
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited February 2014 Posts: 13,973
    Murdock wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    She's best know for her roles in Carrie, Blow Out and Dressed To Kill, all of them Brian DePalma films.
    Dressed to Kill was a great and memorable film ;) Apparently Sean Connery himself was offered Michael Caine's role, but declined only because of other commitments.
    I just wish I had the Robocop DVD so I can watch it the day of the release of the reboot as a sign of protest.
    QBranch wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    Dressed to Kill was a great and memorable film ;) Apparently Sean Connery himself was offered Michael Caine's role, but declined only because of other commitments.

Connery probably didn't look as good in a dress as Caine did ;-)
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Well, it's just a matter of opinion.
    QBranch wrote:
    Well, it's just a matter of opinion.

=))
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    It seems this film wasn't as bad as it could have been after all. I may watch it on DVD at some point.
  • Try to have an open mind guys! I just got back and I loved it!
    edited February 2014 Posts: 17,691
    Try to have an open mind guys! I just got back and I loved it!

I had an open mind when the Lost in Space movie came out, I had an open mind when the New Battlestar Galactica series came out, I had an open mind when the new Star Trek movie came out- I'm through being burned by re-designed, re-imagined junk.
    On to NEW material.
    (sorry, I'm an art guy, and if it looks like crap, that distracts me from any other possible positives)
  • Nah it was good- more remakes should be like this, in the sense that it didn't copy the original; it was its own movie (though admittedly, that does raise the argument of calling it 'RoboCop' in the first place)

It shared the same wicked sense of humor the original had! Perhaps the biggest difference was the 'birth' of RoboCop. In the original, it was absolutely a rebirth, and slowly Alex began to remember who he was and hunted down the guys who killed him.
    In this version however,
    the whole concept is more comparable to a soldier getting a fancy cutting edge artificial limb. Only in this case of course it's his whole body. But When he was revealed to the public, it was like an event, and they kept referring to him as 'Detective Murphy'. Long story short, he was treated like a person- by the public, his family, and fellow officers. That alone distanced it from the original a great deal. Not bad- just different

But the movie was clever, funny, and action packed. I loved Keaton and Oldman , and RoboCop himself actually looks more robotic on screen than I gathered from still photographs. He's not 'Rubbercop', as he was humorously nicknamed when the first photos surfaced. I think a little CGI was used to show space in his joints that a costume couldn't show. I believed he was robotic and not a guy in a suit. Especially when
    the movie revealed just how little of Alex Murphy actually remained. It was pretty awesome and the audience was wincing and going 'eeeewwwwww'

So sue me- I liked the new RoboCop. It wasn't better than the original (of course) but it was a fun ride and I'll probably get the bluray when it comes out.

I'd give it a 3 out of 4

My series ranking:
    1: RoboCop (1987)
    2: RoboCop (2014)
    3: RoboCop 2

4: RoboCop Prime Directives

5: RoboCop 3