"Dont blow it all at once ": Die Another Day Appreciation Thread

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    This is how you start a Bond film...

• Recently?

The Wizard's opening post states in no uncertain terms:

As someone who over the years has liked nothing more than to put the boot in to DAD I thought it was time to cut it some slack so people the question is:

List your genuinely good things about DAD.

And please no hackneyed gags like ‘the end’.

and the initial posts respond in kind. Methinks this is another case of an appreciation thread run amok with bashing.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    That's the best scene. Same goes for the first 5 minutes of SP.
  • Indeed, hell of an opening there. The surfing was some great stuntwork and well played on film.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Not to mention, Arnold's fantastic score. Every time the brasses were blown climactically, I was all over the place feeling nothing but Bond senses.
    I can appreciate the hell out of DAD all day and night. Always loved the film.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I can appreciate DAD until it completely destroys my sense of disbelief. :P
    Really, where does it stop. This film is a blast from start to finish.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    For me it stops when Graves is revealed to be Moon and Icarus is revealed to be a giant doomsday death ray. It stops being Bond and becomes Star Trek Nemesis.
    Hovercraft Chase - David Arnold at his best again. Not to mention the great action this is. Something like that we don't get anymore these days except for the plane chase in SP. What a shame.

Tis a far better movie than the likes of DAF, AVTAK, QOS or even... dare I say it YOLT.

While it's not amazing DAD is always enjoyable (even at times in a 'so bad it's good' sort of way) while the other examples I've mentioned border on boring.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 3,336
    I really like the first half of this film. Up until Iceland i think it is a very solid Bond film.

- The PTS is solid
    - Prisioner exchange scene is very good
    - Also like the Hong Kong scenes
    - Sword Fight
    - Jinx's Intro and the clinic scenes

There are still some things i like in the second half though:

- The Ice Palace is an impressive set
    - The Icarus presentation ("imagine a second sun" "let there be light"
    - The car chase
    - Bonds scenes with Miranda Frost
    - And this quote: "Oh look parachutes for the both of us, woops not anymore"
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Also, the flirting dialogue with Brosnan after she comes out of the sea is the last convincing of the franchise. Craig doesn't have a single elaborate and convincing one ( "can you show me the stationary" anyone? ).
    On a related note, part of the fun in the Bond films is seeing Bond romancing the ladies, yet in Quantum of Solace they choose to have Craig say that line and then that's it, cut to hours later? That's like having a Bond film in which he is given the mission at the beginning, and then cutting to "well done James, report to HQ" at the end.

Regarding Die Another Day, I like the movie. Quite simply, it's FUN! There are plenty of good moments. I haven't gone through the whole thread, but one I didn't see mentioned is when Bond takes the gun from the masseuse and throws the ashtray through the glass. I like his confidence when doing that, and the background score is quite terrific.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Also, the flirting dialogue with Brosnan after she comes out of the sea is the last convincing of the franchise. Craig doesn't have a single elaborate and convincing one ( "can you show me the stationary" anyone? ).
    On a related note, part of the fun in the Bond films is seeing Bond romancing the ladies, yet in Quantum of Solace they choose to have Craig say that line and then that's it, cut to hours later? That's like having a Bond film in which he is given the mission at the beginning, and then cutting to "well done James, report to HQ" at the end.
    The whole movie is like that. Like at the centre of it all, there's just nothingness. "I told you what you wanted to know about Quantum." You did? How come we didn't get to hear?
    DAD has,over the last few months,moved up to #18 on my list.
    It's a good film to watch when you are depressed or p****d off...its a big blast from start to finish,ala MR for example.

It's my current No 17 and could move up to No 14 again. We'll see today.
    edited June 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Milovy wrote: »
    mattjoes wrote: »
    The whole movie is like that. Like at the centre of it all, there's just nothingness. "I told you what you wanted to know about Quantum." You did? How come we didn't get to hear?
    Indeed, that's an excellent point. What did he tell him exactly? Any reason why he was left to die miserably out in the desert rather than brought back for a proper interrogation at HQ?

If that had been done perhaps MI6 would have found out who some of the other operatives were (including Silva) and could have thwarted future plans or saved M even. Bond may have even found out that the head of the operation was none other than his step brother!
  • Ah, but you're forgetting: Silva did not exist at the time Bond interrogated Greene. Nor did Bloffers or SPECTRE or any childhood in the Alps with an Austrian stepbruder. All of those things were magically retconned into Bond's life by the benevolent (but not too imaginative nor foresight-possessing) High Supreme Being of the universe.
    Absolutely. This illustrates the stupidity of attempting to create a continuity driven universe after the fact.

All it does (on a back to back viewing) is show how useless Bond is at his job (he wasn't even able to find out the real name of the organization from Greene).

As I said on another thread, going down this direct continuity path any further just serves to 'age' and timeline date Bond, who should always remain a timeless character imho.
    EON tried to turn the Craig-era into a soap opera and succeeded on every level in SF with it. SP didn't make that any better with the stupid retconning.

Therefore and even more so DAD is the last proper James Bond film that knew what its strength are. Wonderful film and like the other 19 before it a stand-alone, like it has to be.
    Therefore and even more so DAD is the last proper James Bond film that knew what its strength are. Wonderful film and like the other 19 before it a stand-alone, like it has to be.
    I appreciate the deft return to topic. I always find DAD to be an enjoyable (and unintentionally comedic) experience. However, I prefer to view it as a deliberate parody (along the lines of Johnny English). Only then can I fully take in all the humour, performances, and characters.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I appreciate the deft return to topic. I always find DAD to be an enjoyable (and unintentionally comedic) experience. However, I prefer to view it as a deliberate parody (along the lines of Johnny English). Only then can I fully take in all the humour, performances, and characters.

I always viewed it as kind of a parody actually like DAF too.
    R, the invisible car. It's obvious really.
    I agree. Although they are quite different, for their time they both jumped the shark (or is that tidal wave?) in comparison to what came before. Arguably, SP did the same - at least narratively speaking.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    1. Did someone change the thread title?

2. I like the invisible car

3. Th PTS is very good

4. I love the moment when Bond walks into the hotel "my, standards are falling"

5. Ice palace is the only decent villain lair since Moonraker
    w2bond wrote: »
    Yes, in March. This was originally not a dedicated safe space echo chamber appreciation thread like some of the others.

3. Th PTS is very good

4. I love the moment when Bond walks into the hotel "my, standards are falling"

Apart from point 2 I would very much agree with you ( even so I could have very well done without 5).
    Watching DAD soon and will comment on it in the "comment while you watch" thread.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 11,189

another favourite sequence of mine! that's how you swim under water (looking at you Mr Craigbond)

Those sex noises she does as she's tied to that table.

Though I do like the music in that section of the clip.
    Yes, I do too. After all, it is based on real, if primitive technology, only refined for the movie. It's probably not much more farfetched than the underwater Lotus.
    I think the lairs of Silva, and especially Oberhauser, are really good. I only wish we'd seen slightly more of them; I wanted to spend more time in those places, and hopefully understand the geography better.
    I just rewatched the ice palace car chase. Aesthetically, it's tremendously pleasing to see two sports cars sliding through the ice! Great fun with all those gadgets and this time I particularly enjoyed the sound effects of missiles being launched, buttons being pushed, etc. I also like how Bond uses his gadgets in unexpected ways: the ejector seat to flip the car, and the high-frequency ring to get Jinx into the car.