"Dont blow it all at once ": Die Another Day Appreciation Thread

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited June 2017 Posts: 9,020
    The island in Skyfall is maybe the greatest missed opportunity of this era.
    I mean honestly, it's CGI for the most part but it looks real enough.
    And the atmosphere is fantastic.
    It's a crime, it's misused for the most embarrassing entry scene of a villain with rat talk and feeling up Craig's legs. Not to mention....mommy....was....verybad....YIKES

The lair of Oberhauser is fantastic. The meteor room! The surroundings, everything.
    It gets enough screen time and a fantastic shoot out sequence.

The Ice Palace feels more Bond tough. Much more. It evokes Ken Adam to some degree, something none of the current era films ever managed to do.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    QOS at times has a Ken Adam feel to it. Especially with the Opera and the hotel finale.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Murdock wrote: »
    QOS at times has a Ken Adam feel to it. Especially with the Opera and the hotel finale.
    Agreed on both counts. I also think SF evokes Adam in places (Shanghai for some reason, and also the MI6 underground facility).
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    bondjames wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »
    Agreed on both counts. I also think SF evokes Adam in places (Shanghai for some reason, and also the MI6 underground facility).

Those too, I forgot about those. That means it's time I give myself a Bond refresher Bondathon.
    After watching TND, TWINE and DAD (GE I'll see soon) I can honestly say I love GE, TND and DAD to bits.

DAD is 15 years old now and I can see that in the next five years it will become one of my favourites again, because it was in the 00s. I had DAD at No 9 or 10 for a good decade.
    With so many great Bond film it's hard to rank anyway, at the moment it's No 17, but I think it'll go up again.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited June 2017 Posts: 6,777
    Right, my turn.

DAD was dead last by default for several years.

Now it has grown immensely on me. Recent outings like QOS and SF make me really long for those old school Bond efforts.

It was around 2000-2002 that I really got into Bond. The Nightfire game and my first cinematic 007 experience are unforgettably nostalgic moments for me.

DAD was that film. In retrospect I've really grown to like it. This film is a celebration of 40 years of Bond and it unapologetically pays homage to every single entry that came before it. It starts as LTK and ends as TSWLM.

The sword fight is brillant, I also like how Bond knows how to fence (very stylish), Halle does the playful Bond girl fine (bar the 'momma' comment), the Vanquish is a gorgeous car and so is the Jag (great chase), that Raoul character makes for an amusing ally, the ice palace is a fantastic set in the tradition of Ken Adam, the Arnold score is great, I love the Madonna track, the cinematography is excellent, I also quite enjoy the snarling Graves as 007's alter ego and most of all Pierce is exquisite!

There you go! Love this film!
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 337
    DAD's excessive, no doubt, but at least it goes straight for it unlike TND and TWINE which dawdle around. None of Brosnan's final three were quality productions, but the fact that DAD actually moved automatically makes it better for me. That was a massive improvement over TWINE which just seemed confused as to the direction it wanted to take. It might be downright silly at points, but it's never boring. That aside, Brosnan also turns in a noticeably better performance here than in his last two movies. I noticed this on my latest rewatch probably half a year ago?

I get my two hours of unabashed entertainment, so I do manage to enjoy it. For that reason, DAD sneaks into the top half of the list for me (I have it at #12). I actually find the darker opening to be a detractor, especially because the film producers really didn't commit to that darker approach at all. If they had just gone full camp from the start like Moonraker it might've scored more points from me.

My complaints with DAD are more or less the same as the typical ones, but probably to a lesser extent. I view them as minor crimes in comparison to trying to make Bond something he's not (in my opinion).
    edited June 2017 Posts: 9,020
    Watching DAD and SF within the same 48 hours made me realise that DAD is fun, exciting, OTT, entertaining, funny, action loaded and very, very Bond with a fantastic score and characters that fit the film perfectly and Brosnan at the top of his game.

SF is fun-less, dreary, boring, soap oper drama level, almost completely humorless, very unbondian and has a villain that would be better off in an Austin Powers film with cringe worthy dialogue and over"acting". Craig looks awful even in the PTS and it's by far his worst performance of all four films. And that "score"....*throwup
    DAD's excessive, no doubt, but at least it goes straight for it unlike TND and TWINE which dawdle around. None of Brosnan's final three were quality productions, but the fact that DAD actually moved automatically makes it better for me. That was a massive improvement over TWINE which just seemed confused as to the direction it wanted to take. It might be downright silly at points, but it's never boring. That aside, Brosnan also turns in a noticeably better performance here than in his last two movies. I noticed this on my latest rewatch probably half a year ago?
    I agree. Brosnan is excellent in DAD (something which can't be said about his attempts in TWINE or TND. Despite some praising his 2nd effort, I find him too smarmy there).

I too am beginning to 'appreciate' DAD more than the other two over time. It's a film that's not ashamed of what it is (although perhaps it should be). There's something to be said for limited narrative ambitions & just going all out for entertainment.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited June 2017 Posts: 8,074
    The series has gone downhill since 2006. It's now at a lower point than it was in 2002. I'll take TND, TWINE and DAD over QoS, SF and SP any day. The problems of the Brosnan era have only gotten worse since. At the very least, you can take the Brosnan films with a pinch of salt, whereas that is impossible with the Craig films post CR.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    I agree. Brosnan is excellent in DAD (something which can't be said about his attempts in TWINE or TND. Despite some praising his 2nd effort, I find him too smarmy there).

I too am beginning to 'appreciate' DAD more than the other two over time. It's a film that's not ashamed of what it is (although perhaps it should be). There's something to be said for limited narrative ambitions & just going all out for entertainment.

I think there's less to be ashamed of here than the directionless TWINE, which just feels misguided and exhausted on nearly every front.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 832
    Watching DAD and SF within the same 48 hours made me realise that DAD is fun, exciting, OTT, entertaining, funny, action loaded and very, very Bond with a fantastic score and characters that fit the film perfectly and Brosnan at the top of his game.

SF is fun-less, dreary, boring, soap oper drama level, almost completely humorless, very unbondian and has a villain that would be better off in an Austin Powers film with cringe worthy dialogue and over"acting". Craig looks awful even in the PTS and it's by far his worst performance of all four films. And that "score"....*throwup

Die another day is the film with a villain that belongs in an austin powers film, first off. I like bardem as silva. Craigs worst preformance is in quantim of solace. Die another day certainly has it with score, fun/ ebtertaining, funny, (skyfall does have some good humor in the mix though)but it also has it with terrible dialouge, worse writing, an inferior james bond, and absurdity.

That being said, though it should be recognized for the pile of horsecrap that it is in many respects, there is certainly great non ironic entertainment value Its great because of its unapologetic ottness, its absurdity. Skyfall is the more artistic, but die another day is the testament to the beauty of ott action. I cant call it anything other than a bad film, but it does have its greatnsss, abd therefore its not that bad overall.
    bondjames wrote: »

I think there's less to be ashamed of here than the directionless TWINE, which just feels misguided and exhausted on nearly every front.
    I absolutely agree. TWINE actually made me question my Bond fandom. I was never so disappointed as I was walking out of the theatre in 1999 after seeing it. Such a dull & forgettable effort (probably its worst crime) with the worst Bond actor performance imho.
    @Ottofuse8

Silva would have been good for a film like DAD. But in the serious, non-fun, dreary SF he is just off, he feels out of place, and some of his acting feels like something Mike Myers would do, his dying scene. Moooother.... etc.

Gustav Graves on the other hand is simply the perfect OTT super villain and he fits DAD like a glove.

As for artistry. SF has the best cinematography ever. It's stylish and it looks great. It's just hollow and has a non-sense plot that is even a bad copy of TWINE.
    edited June 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Funny, I was just thinking the other day how Bardem really lifted SF. It would indeed have been a bit too dreary without his camp, OTT turn. I think he helped to balance the film, and don't find him out of place.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    I absolutely agree. TWINE actually made me question my Bond fandom. I was never so disappointed as I was walking out of the theatre in 1999 after seeing it. Such a dull & forgettable effort (probably its worst crime) with the worst Bond actor performance imho.

I'm not sure if I immediately hated it from the outset, but it certainly didn't impress (the convoluted plot and wasted potential immediately came to mind), and it's gotten less and less bearable with each viewing. I now find the mid-section of the film to be padded and completely unfocused.
    TWINE was a huge disappointment after I completely loved GE and TND.
    I HATED the bloody plot twist and Renard, he is just boring. Also the film in general is quite dull after the PTS, I like the Ski scene and I like the scene with Christmas Jones in the underground. That's about it.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 337
    Elektra being dumped in favour of Renard as the primary antagonist was a fatal mistake, IMHO. Far, far better character.
    Elektra being dumped in favour of Renard as the primary antagonist was a fatal mistake, IMHO. Far, far better character.

+1
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited June 2017 Posts: 6,777
    I love Sophie Marceau, she's obviously wasted opposite the rather dull Renard.
    @BondJasonBond006 TWINE gets an A.
    Robertson wrote: »
    @BondJasonBond006 TWINE gets an A.

I agree if GE and TND get an AAA rating.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I HATED the bloody plot twist and Renard, he is just boring. Also the film in general is quite dull after the PTS, I like the Ski scene and I like the scene with Christmas Jones in the underground. That's about it.

It's hard to think of a worse action scene in the series.

I swear you were sent by God to make me have a stroke.

God? It was the devil!
    @Ottofuse8

Silva would have been good for a film like DAD. But in the serious, non-fun, dreary SF he is just off, he feels out of place, and some of his acting feels like something Mike Myers would do, his dying scene. Moooother.... etc.

Gustav Graves on the other hand is simply the perfect OTT super villain and he fits DAD like a glove.

As for artistry. SF has the best cinematography ever. It's stylish and it looks great. It's just hollow and has a non-sense plot that is even a bad copy of TWINE.

2 points of contention.

Gustav Graves does fit dad like a glove, and i do appreciate him and sort of like him in that film, but on the other hand he fits dad for a lot pf the wrong reasons.

I like both, but skyfall is the better version of twine.
    The Ski scene at least has Brosnan Bond on ski's and he looks good.
    Craig Bond just would look silly.
  • RC7RC7

The Ski chase is a terrible, terrible action scene. Next to FYEO, shot nearly twenty years earlier, it looks completely laughable. No energy, no speed, no momentum. I actually don't mind most of TWINE, but this is a shoe-horned stinker.
  • Yeah, the ski scene did TWINE no favours.
    I rather have it than none at all.
  • RC7RC7
    I rather have it than none at all.

That doesn't really make any sense.