Had a spare afternoon the other day and was overcome by an insane whim to put DAD on and I was pleasantly surprised that it was packed (perhaps that’s an exaggeration – there were a few) with some great Bondian moments in amongst the dross. As someone who over the years has liked nothing more than to put the boot in to DAD I thought it was time to cut it some slack so people the question is:
List your genuinely good things about DAD.
And please no hackneyed gags like ‘the end’.
1. The surfing is a stunt that doesn’t get the credit it deserves. Getting 3 people that close together on such a big wave is pretty impressive. (Whether Bond should ever surf at all is a different debate).
2. The whole Bond being tortured thing (Pretending to myself I didn’t know what was to come I even found myself loving the segue into the credits and the opening bars until Madonna opened her mouth).
3. I like the washed out look of the cinematography in the N Korea scenes.
4. The look that nurse gives as Bond legs it from the hospital is class. A nice homage to that hotel receptionist in TB (or was it DN?).
5. The Cuba scenes hark back to classic 60s Bond (well until Jinx turns up).
6. Bond catching the revolver as it falls off the MRI scanner.
7. Bond kicking the sword at the camera.
8. John Cleese comes across as a decent Q and would prefer to see him back than have some young techno geek as we have in SF.
9. Give Arnold some credit. Although his score his very derivative of Barry he comes up with some excellent moments. I like the Cuban music and the dramatic arrangement that comes in as The Clash fades out. The highlights though are two brassy bursts that echo the best of Barry. The first as the Aston drives towards the ice hotel and the second as the cars first come out onto the ice at the start of the chase with Zao.
10. No couldn’t make it to 10. Lets say the Pikelet but that’s talking with my sexist, misogynist dinosaur hat on rather than my film critic one.
Good luck finding some more. You'll need it.
Except for the appearance of Jinx & Madonna the first half or so of DAD is a good Bond movie but soon after turning up in Iceland it goes down its icy, poorly CGI rendered slope....
-Some of the North Korean scenes were decent.
- The hospital scene and escape to the hotel in Hong Kong was quite funny - in a Brosnan way.
- (As you mentioned) The Cuba scenes, until Jinx turn up.
- The clinic scenes were good enough.
- The sword fight.
My problem with DAD is that the scenes I like, don't really weigh up to the worse scenes, and there's only a few glimpses of the good Bondian moments.
Bond: "Now there's a name to die for."
For me, that's the worst of it. Everything else, I quite enjoy.
The unique part of this film is the torture scenes. Something different.
Idk why but i guess that you're being ironic lol
Add to your list Wizard.
Bond trying to kill Miranda
The chase across the ice.
I also quite like the short sequence with Bond and Jinx at the airfield before they run after the plane near the end.
Windage, one and a half")
Bond just about to shoot graves with the sniper rifle and then deciding to get on the plane.
I was serious - DAD is among the breed of Bond films I love, like MR, DAF, YOLT, MR, TSWLM, TMWTGG
Sorry Mr Bain but I find myself having to disagree with all your choices.
Bond trying to kill Miranda is one of the very worst scenes in the film due to the fact that whoever wrote it obviously has no concept of the character of Bond. He would know his gun was empty the moment he picked it up and to say he wouldnt is an absolute insult to the character.
The ice chase has some great driving but alas is ruined by them constantly shooting each others missiles out of the sky with ridiculous ease at the push of a button.
The sniper scene is automatically disqualified from being any good by the fact that it contains Jinx re the Wizards first law of Bond which states:
'Any frame of celluloid which contains the character of Jinx is a travesty to the world of James Bond that results in both Ian Fleming and Cubby Broccolli rotating in their graves at about 4000 rpm.'
Sorry Bain but this law is one of the most fundamental building blocks of modern physics. Were it proved to be false the universe would unravel in some sort of black hole paradox.
This right here is why Skyfall is probably going to not be good. They had the perfect replacement for Llewelyn with Cleese, and they just replace him with some dumb kid with a stupid face.
Repeat viewing and time often dull the senses to its craptitude. I think this is the one Bond film which I wont change my mind on. I was appalled back in 2002 by the sheer incompetence of the director. And thats where its failure lies. The director didnt get Bond. He thought you could throw a load of bad one lining speaking cardboard characters in there and cover the cracks with cheap cgi.
Really bad films have a couple of good scenes but they are swept away by the tsunami of godawfulness and drown anyone involved.
Shameful I know :(
Haha, sorry Wizard. They were just scenes/moments I quite liked. I suppose u could argue that Bond let his well known weakness for women get the better of him. That's how I'd prefer to view it anyway ;)
What about the "Fiedel Castrato" line? I'm getting desperate now.
Says it all really. No mention of OHMSS or FRWL. I think DC007, you would be a perfect reviewer guide for me, because any film you rate highly, I would avoid like the plague, and any film you say is bad, it would certainly be on my must-watch list.
Seen any decent films lately, or any bad ones I should watch out for...?
I watched 'Dragon Tattoo' with Craig and 'Drive'.... loved them.
Wizard said no bum jokes like that.
Actually, I watched it rather hung over, a while back, and had a good time. The same cannot be said to of the last two. Really cannot sit through them.
i had to read that line twice.
And the one bad thing about the invisible Aston Martin was that it is a shame that you want to hide such a beautifull car. :D If it were an American car that would be a whole different matter.
Oh dear, oh dear. There's always someone who has to take it too far.
Tell me Grant - which lunatic asylum did they get you from?
Well it is all about personal taste. When one goes insulting people that differ from you, it might be you who should seek out help with you personality issues.
But I don't think its the very worst in the series. (I know I'm going of topic here but still), because despite the last part making it a terrible, awful bond film, its still a bond film. Unlike the latest film in the franchise which tried too hard to be serious and ended up like a bad bourne rip-off.
I think so. After Bond goes down on her in Cuba, I'd have her effectively disappear from the film until the ending sequence on the plane. After the satelitte is destroyed I'd cut the plane being destroyed. Maybe...I'd have her show up for a quick moment in Iceland. Cut the ending in that little hut and have it end on Bond and Moneypenny together. After all, they ended up rebooting the franchise in the next film.
Story contuned in the maintitle
The ice palace
The car chase on ice
Surfing on water (Gunbarrel scene)
Bond meet his twin (Gunbarrel scene)
Intro to Iceland
The wheelchair scene
London Calling (Graves Enter London)
Bond meet Roger Moore his daughter
VR scene when enter hide place close to the Big Ben
Q and M scene
years later, how amazing it have been with the thrill of the gunbarrel scene with Moon almost kill his henchmen, if there show more of his fight kills then only that and the sword fight.