"Dont blow it all at once ": Die Another Day Appreciation Thread

Comments

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I quite enjoy it. It's well-shot.
  • RC7RC7
    jake24 wrote: »

That's the last thing it is imo.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.

I agree. That ski chase is one of the best scenes in the entire franchise.
  • RC7RC7

Speechless.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    It's good enough as I said, sure not Moore or Lazenby level.

But the air assault and especially Brosnan on ski's look great.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited June 2017 Posts: 9,117

There's one good shot in it as one of the snowmobiles goes over the edge of the cliff and that's it.

A really uninspired sequence that goes alongside the hovercraft chase in DAD as one of late period Vic Armstrong's by the numbers action sequences that looks like one of those stunt extravaganza shows you get at Universal Studios.

In. The. Entire. Franchise.

And not just 'action sequences' but 'scenes'!!!

Sometimes humanity just depresses me. Maybe Drax was right and we need to lob a few globes of nerve gas about and start again with a master race who are groomed to know what a good ski chase looks like.
  • RC7RC7

There's one good shot in it as one of the snowmobiles goes over the edge of the cliff and that's it.

A really uninspired sequence that goes alongside the hovercraft chase in DAD as one of late period Vic Armstrong's by the numbers action sequences that looks like one of those stunt extravaganza shows you get at Universal Studios.

Sometimes humanity just depresses me. Maybe Drax was right and we need to lob a few globes of nerve gas about and start again with a master race who are groomed to know what a good ski chase looks like.

Book me a bed next to yours at Dignitas.
    RC7 wrote: »

I'm sure Skyfall will be shown there to make it easier to just die and be done with.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    RC7 wrote: »

Oh to die in a suburban flat in Switzerland.

It does sound the most depresssing way to go possible but listening to any more praise for 'one of the best scenes in the entire franchise' is a worse fate.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    It's true. Sometimes Bond films are just fun. I love it. The important partis to make sure the audience is swept along with the film, and so doesn't notice. I was watching Moonraker a while back, and it came to that scene where Bond hides in Goodheads hotel room and and then it suddenly me. Hold on a minute, how did Bond get in there? How did he even know where she was staying? It doesn't make sense. Point being, at that point in the movie, the pieces have all been set up and things have to get moving. We could have a sequence where Bond breaks into her room somehow, but that would just slow things down. Momentum is important in Bond, or at least it used to be. When you're on a roll, you've got to keep on rolling, as they say. Nowadays we've got to have 2 characters sit down and psychoanalysis one another every other scene, so the ethos has kinda been lost. What we need to bare in the mind is the rules that govern cinema as a whole and the rules that govern Bond films are quite different in some respects.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

Well, I wouldn't go that far. But this could definitely be said for the boat chase.
    Any of the PTS' of the Brosnan era is infinitely better than the whole of QOS or SF, that's for sure.

Just look at DAD's PTS. It has it all, and the hovercraft chase is the last original chase sequence in the series, the car chase on ice is the last original car chase.

Sadly after DAD they have forgotten how to be original.
    Any of the PTS' of the Brosnan era is infinitely better than the whole of QOS or SF, that's for sure.

Just look at DAD's PTS. It has it all, and the hovercraft chase is the last original chase sequence in the series, the car chase on ice is the last original car chase.

Silly.

Silly.

Maybe, yes.

The plane/car chase in Austria is great, if somewhat similar to the tank chase in GE.

Silly.

Maybe, yes.

The plane/car chase in Austria is great, if somewhat similar to the tank chase in GE.

Even so I'm not the strongest supporter of the tank scene I would every time defend and take it over the Austria one.

Silly.

Maybe, yes.

Parkour chase, sinking house, Tosca, Shanghai fight, Helicopter fight, are all quite inventive.

Silly.

Maybe, yes.

Parkour chase, sinking house, Tosca, Shanghai fight, Helicopter fight, are all quite inventive.

ah yes, I was only talking chase scenes with vehicles!

The Tosca sequence is fantastic. The helicopter fight as well, the train fight, the parkour chase.
    It's difficult for vehicular stuff to be original nowadays. I mean, there are only a handful of vehicles that would fit the context of a Bond film. Occasionally, you'll have something outlandish (like the tank chase, or the hovercraft chase), but for the most part the originality of these sequences comes from the geography, cinematography, stunts, etc.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 337

That's a bit difficult to swallow considering that the very next film reinvented Bond for the 21st century.

But since then, they've had quite a bit of difficulty in letting go of CR after seeing its success.

While I definitely prefer DAD over the highly restrained TND or chaotic mess that was TWINE, I find GE to be Brosnan's best. It's the standard I still measure him with because I think that's what a truly good film with him is like. It's a shame he never reached those heights again.
    The PTS of QoS is spectacular !!
    barryt007 wrote: »
    The PTS of QoS is spectacular !!

Like an epileptic fit.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    It's grown on me. It's actually very well shot but the editing butchers all the beautiful shots. And Imo Arnold's score saves the pts.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I like the QoS PTS and always have (despite being a bit disoriented on first viewing on the large screen). It's the DAD one which I can't stand. It starts off so well with the surfing sequence and then collapses on itself with poor CGI & some of the worst colour filters in a Bond film (yes, even SP's piss colouring is preferable to the dreariness during the hovercraft sequence). The PTS peaked with Moon kicking in his anger therapist (great scene).
  • IGotTheMessageIGotTheMessage United States
    edited June 2017 Posts: 194
    @WizardOfIce

As far as DAD is concerned, I am particularly fond of one part of the movie. The part where it is over.

In fairness, there are some things that I do like about the movie. I like the banter between Bond and Q. I like some of the sets in the first half of the film. Rosamund Pike is a good actress (despite having little to nothing to work with) and she is absolutely beautiful. Brosnan does nothing wrong in particular despite being out of shape and no longer having the devilish good looks that he had in the mid-nineties. I like the look of the interior of the Ice Palace and the chandelier death works well. I actually like the theme song as well.

Overall, DAD is really weak though.
    But great fun !
  • Bueno1694Bueno1694 My James Bond Games' Playthroughs: linktr.ee/Xtreemo
    For a long time, I did act harshly upon this film like many others here. But the time made it grow on me. It is the essential classic 007. The Bond that doesn't get shot, the Bond that isn't giving up, always get the girls, and "always had an escape plan".

The best Pre-Title Sequence for me is in DAD. It's Brosnan's best and it's got as much action as GE and TND.
    The invisible car is a completely OTT gadget but it does fit in the film's mood. I would just change it to something less appealing like a white-ice painting on the Vanquish.

Q and Bond's relationship is funnier than ever. I really wished John Cleese would stick around the franchise for a few more films.

I also believe that DAD will grow on most fans during the near future as well. People used to throw this film away and step far from it due to its CGI and really few bad dialogues. I saw at the very start of this thread a few remarkable and funny lines from 007 and I think it only shows how Bond was still Bond.

Brosnan is my favorite Bond and he put his best in his last film. He always desired to be 007 since the mid-'80s, and he was always really excited about being Bond.

Today, I can say I actually like DAD and I'd surely watch it Infinite times over watching No Time To Die. Because at least in DAD
    Bond doesn't get properly killed, and that indeed killed the latest film for me.
  • edited December 2021 Posts: 53
    Always nice to see any kind of love for Die Another Day :D

It will always hold a special place in my heart and I don’t think it’s trash as it has been called by many. I have a ball every time I watch it.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    I find the bulk of it quite thrilling. Of course where it’s bad it’s phenomenally bad, but certainly I can heartily enjoy the remainder.
    I do like how fresh and crisp it looks compared to TND and TWINE. Makes me wish we got one more Brosnan outing that looked like this one, at least.
    Geno wrote: »
    I do like how fresh and crisp it looks compared to TND and TWINE. Makes me wish we got one more Brosnan outing that looked like this one, at least.

We got one more Brosnan outing after this,it was called Everything Or Nothing.