"Dont blow it all at once ": Die Another Day Appreciation Thread

1606162636466»

Comments

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Very on-brand that the creator of the DAD Appreciation Thread is now banned. I have to imagine it was creating this thread that did it. ;)

This always feel like a default entry in the bottom of the Bond film list, but there is definitely enough in it to keep it farther up than that. I like the beginning, Graves, the Blades stuff, even the car battle on the ice.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Halle Berry's hair & 'tude irritate me more than any bad CGI. That said, it's fun. Just like the other space-laser Bond which shall go un-named. ;)
  • This always feel like a default entry in the bottom of the Bond film list, but there is definitely enough in it to keep it farther up than that. I like the beginning, Graves, the Blades stuff, even the car battle on the ice.

The more time passes the more I find myself appreciating this final entry from Brosnan. The excesses of CGI, by comparison with the more tasteful amounts and more seamless uses in Brosnan's first three, seemed like a very big deal at the time. But now they're just a part of the package of what the film is and easy enough to overlook for the good stuff in the same way the visual effects and rear projection of You Only Live Twice do little to detract from my enjoyment of that film.

From the sets to the music to the plot developments to the globe-trotting, there's a lot of ambition in Die Another Day. It's both a celebration of classic Bond and an attempt to do some more daring things (some that paid off well, like having Bond in captivity for 14 months and teasing his execution by firing squad, and some where your mileage will vary, like playing around for the first time with the idea of showing a real romance between Bond and Moneypenny).

Nowadays, in fact, the parts of Die Another Day that annoy me tend not to even be those that are often cited as the film's weaker points. I can deal with the excessive early 2000s CGI and Halle Berry posturing and dropping unbearably bad puns because the film itself takes a big, splashy, go-for-broke approach. Again, it's all a part of the package—and one that's looking better and better with time.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Great thoughts here. Always have a blast with this one.
    What are your favourite references to previous films? I Iike the updated breather device.
  • Without doubt, I find much more entertainment value in the very flawed Die Another Day, than the well crafted emotional roller coaster that is No Time To Die.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I currently have DAD at #21...though it could jump a few more spots on review.
    It has it's flaws, be it with the script, the acting, the cgi, but one thing that DAD does have is a fun re-watchability.
    It's a film I enjoy when I watch it, even with the flaws. Pierce Brosnan isn't one of them. He really gives his all. After the events of 9/11 it's easy to see why EON and the studio would opt for a more fun and over the top entry with the world in a state of doom and gloom. But audiences still flocked to see it. But Bond fans took a different stance. An invisible car, surfing a tidal wave with some dodgy cgi and a rather weak story just didn't cut the mustard for many. I myself wasn't impressed in 2002. But over the years, I've mellowed on DAD. It's fun, it's entertaining and it never tries to be anything it's not.
    It's not a great movie, but it's far from a bad one.
  • slide_99slide_99 USA
    I like it more than I used to, possibly because now I see it as the last canonical Bond movie.
  • slide_99 wrote: »
    I like it more than I used to, possibly because now I see it as the last canonical Bond movie.

I get that completely. I've re-watched a few Brosnan Bonds since the release of No! . . . Time to Die, and I've watched them with renewed affection. Life was so simple then; girls, guns and adventure.
    slide_99 wrote: »

I get that completely. I've re-watched a few Brosnan Bonds since the release of No! . . . Time to Die, and I've watched them with renewed affection. Life was so simple then; girls, guns and adventure.

Amen.I got NTTD on digital yesterday but surprisingly felt like watching a fun Bond movie so I watched TND instead.

I will watch NTTD again pretty soon though.

• Bueno1694Bueno1694 My James Bond Games' Playthroughs: linktr.ee/Xtreemo
    Very on-brand that the creator of the DAD Appreciation Thread is now banned. I have to imagine it was creating this thread that did it. ;)

Why was he banned anyways? You can tell me on private message if you want to. Just curious :P
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Bueno1694 wrote: »

Why was he banned anyways? You can tell me on private message if you want to. Just curious :P

No idea in reality!
    I've re-watched a few Brosnan Bonds since the release of No! . . . Time to Die
    Oh, so funny! That's what the title SHOULD have been!!
    and I've watched them with renewed affection. Life was so simple then; girls, guns and adventure.
    Yep.
    So we can't even have a discussion about DAD these days without it turning into 'let the usual suspects unite to gang up on NTTD'? ;))

Why do all films have to be so 'simple', I wonder? We have 25 Bond films by now (some would say 27). Why can't a couple of them be a bit different?
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    jobo wrote: »
    So we can't even have a discussion about DAD these days without it turning into 'let the usual suspects unite to gang up on NTTD'? ;))

Why do all films have to be so 'simple', I wonder? We have 25 Bond films by now (some would say 27). Why can't a couple of them be a bit different?

Too true @jobo
    There are really only a few films in the series, that don’t follow the ‘Bond formula’, having a change of pace is sometimes nice, and in my opinion necessary. What’s done in the odd ones out of the series, is rarely if at all copied again .
  • Bueno1694Bueno1694 My James Bond Games' Playthroughs: linktr.ee/Xtreemo
    I agree on the "bit different" aspect. I just can't accept them to change the essence of the whole Bond thing.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited January 2022 Posts: 10,586
    Die Another Day is either the first or second Bond film I saw as a kid. I was born during the Brosnan era so my introduction to Bond was through the Broccoli/Wilson era, so it's no surprise I consider many of their films to be modern classics while many fans who grew up with the Connery films say otherwise. I loved DAD as a kid and it's one of the most influential movies that propelled me to be interested in cinema.

So it was interesting growing up and learning that it was quite possibly the most hated Bond film and that Brosnan was often ridiculed for his portrayal of Bond in general. To me, Brosnan captured the essence of Connery's coolness but brought a layer of himself to the part which gels quite well with the legacy of the character. The beach scene in GoldenEye which is considered by many to be one of the lesser scenes in the film is one of my favorites in Brosnan's entire era because of how affected he seems about Alec's betrayal). Brosnan continuously elevated material that was usually surface level.

I watched DAD last night for the first time in a while and much of the film's critics are valid. Most of the CGI is poorly executed and the suspension of disbelief becomes progressively higher in the second half. But I still find the film's action, performances, visuals, music and direction to be extremely riveting all the way through. Brosnan is incredibly suave and delivers many memorable moments. If it weren't for his performance in this film I am not sure I would be as into Bond films as I am today. 20 years on I still find the film to be highly entertaining and despite carrying a few of the franchise's worst moments, there's a sense of class and confidence running through the whole thing that elevate it high above other films in the genre with similar issues at the time.
  • slide_99slide_99 USA
    jake24 wrote: »
    Die Another Day is either the first or second Bond film I saw as a kid. I was born during the Brosnan era so my introduction to Bond was through the Broccoli/Wilson era, so it's no surprise I consider many of their films to be modern classics while many fans who grew up with the Connery films say otherwise. I loved DAD as a kid and it's one of the most influential movies that propelled me to be interested in cinema.

So it was interesting growing up and learning that it was quite possibly the most hated Bond film and that Brosnan was often ridiculed for his portrayal of Bond in general. To me, Brosnan captured the essence of Connery's coolness but brought a layer of himself to the part which gels quite well with the legacy of the character. The beach scene in GoldenEye which is considered by many to be one of the lesser scenes in the film is one of my favorites in Brosnan's entire era because of how affected he seems about Alec's betrayal). Brosnan continuously elevated material that was usually surface level.

I watched DAD last night for the first time in a while and much of the film's critics are valid. Most of the CGI is poorly executed and the suspension of disbelief becomes progressively higher in the second half. But I still find the film's action, performances, visuals, music and direction to be extremely riveting all the way through. Brosnan is incredibly suave and delivers many memorable moments. If it weren't for his performance in this film I am not sure I would be as into Bond films as I am today. 20 years on I still find the film to be highly entertaining and despite carrying a few of the franchise's worst moments, there's a sense of class and confidence running through the whole thing that elevate it high above other films in the genre with similar issues at the time.

Interesting perspective. I was in high school when DAD came out and I don't recall anyone so much as questioning Brosnan as Bond in those days. He simply was the character. I actually remember quite a few people saying he was the best since Connery. The backlash against Brosnan kicked into full gear during the Craig era.

I don't like DAD all that much, it's my 3rd or 4th least favorite in the series, but I admit it has a zany charm to it, as well as a few decent action scenes and even some funny lines. If only it had ended on a better note, with a finale that was less CG-intensive, it might have escaped many people's "Worst Bond Ever" list.
  • slide_99 wrote: »
    jake24 wrote: »

Interesting perspective. I was in high school when DAD came out and I don't recall anyone so much as questioning Brosnan as Bond in those days. He simply was the character. I actually remember quite a few people saying he was the best since Connery. The backlash against Brosnan kicked into full gear during the Craig era.

The sad truth. Brosnan was loved by a majority of audiences back then, these days he’s an easy target.
    Were I to have to choose between DAD and SF or NTTD I'd choose DAD every time. It's not great, but it IS entertaining.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    I couldn't find the "things you never realized before" thread on here but this is close enough. I think an argument can be made that Purvis Wade have very very loosely adapted the TMWTGG book plot of Bond targeting and attacking M. between the personal attributes of Bond's mission in TWINE with M. and them literally shooting M. on screen in DAD. Very loose, but a good fan editor could cut together a convincing trailer out of what they've got.
  • Rosamund Pike is beautiful, and the car battle on ice.
    That's pretty much it for me.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    edited November 2022 Posts: 1,282
    DAD is the most outlandish Bond film. Maybe that's its greatest fault. But the film isn't entirely bad. It looks like the Bond film that's criticized in public, but enjoyed in secret.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited November 2022 Posts: 3,382
    DAD is the most outlandish Bond film. Maybe that's its greatest fault. But the film isn't entirely bad. It looks like the Bond film that's criticized in public, but enjoyed in secret.

I'll go with Moonraker, at least in DAD no one had left the Earth.

I doubt any Bond films could beat Moonraker for being too outlandish with Lasers, driving a gondola like an ordinary vehicle, Bond having a skydive like a superhero without any safety gears, or Bond in a paraglider, and especially spaceships!

This is Bond in Space!

It's like Superhero and Star Wars movie met James Bond in one film.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    @MI6HQ I gained a new appreciation for Moonraker when watching it on the big screen a few months ago. The scale and special effects are top notch.
  • Moonraker is the good kind of absurd, it knows what it is & doesn't pretend to be something it's not. A very entertaining classic Moore flick.

Die Another Day is.. the kind of absurd that just makes you cringe. Even Brosnan was uncomfortable with this film, and it's noticeable in his performance.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I'd say DAD knows exactly how ridiculous it is. Brosnan, like Moore in MR, is simply keeping the film grounded so as to not be overshadowed by the FX on display. Neither really succeed, in my opinion, but MR comes out slightly better because its special effects are practical and it has a better villain. The good absurd versus bad absurd thing doesn't really hold much weight; both films have ridiculous gadgets, bad puns, OTT storylines and daft henchmen that are offset by moments of darkness that feel out of place. MR has Corinne's death, DAD has Bond tortured in prison.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    edited November 2022 Posts: 1,282
    MI6HQ wrote: »

I'll go with Moonraker, at least in DAD no one had left the Earth.

I doubt any Bond films could beat Moonraker for being too outlandish with Lasers, driving a gondola like an ordinary vehicle, Bond having a skydive like a superhero without any safety gears, or Bond in a paraglider, and especially spaceships!

This is Bond in Space!

It's like Superhero and Star Wars movie met James Bond in one film.

Yeah, but I think the fact that Star Wars did it before MR, the Space thing wasn't that far-fetched. Because YOLT started the Space thing, even if Bond didn't go there. Although, I know it's not just the Space thing that makes MR outlandish. But in DAD, Bond didn't go to Space, but the ice-themed visuals were almost like Antarctica....which is a somewhat otherworldly place, even if it isn't Space. I think they wanted to create a very escapist Bond film, but it wasn't perfect, but not entirely bad. Maybe a different director would have gotten the balance right, but Brosnan does no harm for me....the film was simply too glitzy.