"Dont blow it all at once ": Die Another Day Appreciation Thread

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Agreed about his characterization in DAD. He was on top of his game there.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Agreed as well.
    Brosnan had one more in him in 2005. He would have looked killer with a bit more muscle & fat trimmed off with a short haircut.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I have to agree. Around the time he did After The Sunset he was in fine form.
    He looked his best in The World Is Not Enough, in my opinion, but was definitely at his worst performance-wise.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Seriously, I don't see what's so special about GoldenEye other than the hype it left people back in '95. If anything, I find it only slightly better than The World Is Not Enough. Tomorrow Never Dies is by far superior to its predecessor.

I do think that the love of GE is a bit overblown. I actually rank it as the least of the Brosnan Bonds.
    Seriously, I don't see what's so special about GoldenEye other than the hype it left people back in '95. If anything, I find it only slightly better than The World Is Not Enough. Tomorrow Never Dies is by far superior to its predecessor.

I do think that the love of GE is a bit overblown. I actually rank it as the least of the Brosnan Bonds.
    I feel similarly regarding the matter.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    He looked his best in The World Is Not Enough, in my opinion, but was definitely at his worst performance-wise.
    I'm torn on the matter. On one hand, the film features some of Brosnan's best moments. On the other hand, it also houses some of his worst.
  • vzok wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    I might be compelled to move this film up a few notches in my rankings, despite Halle (bloody hell, she's bad!). They should have dumped her character and made Pike's Miranda the main babe who turns bad at the end. Such a shame.

they made Halle the main babe and she turned bad as soon as she turned up.
    jake24 wrote: »
    Totally wasn't her fault. Lee made a disaster of P+W's script and gave her an abomination of a character.

Halle didn't turn in a bad performance. Jinx was spunky and flirtatious and cocky and aggressive, and Halle did a good job delivering all of that. Now, the direction of her character and especially a good chunk of the writing given to her character were bad, but Halle performed well in the part she was given. There are instances in the series where the actresses genuinely are giving bad performances, but Halle and Denise and a few others who are often unfairly accused of turning in a bad performance aren't among them.
    vzok wrote: »
    I might be compelled to move this film up a few notches in my rankings, despite Halle (bloody hell, she's bad!). They should have dumped her character and made Pike's Miranda the main babe who turns bad at the end. Such a shame.

they made Halle the main babe and she turned bad as soon as she turned up.
    jake24 wrote: »
    Totally wasn't her fault. Lee made a disaster of P+W's script and gave her an abomination of a character.

Halle didn't turn in a bad performance. Jinx was spunky and flirtatious and cocky and aggressive, and Halle did a good job delivering all of that. Now, the direction of her character and especially a good chunk of the writing given to her character were bad, but Halle performed well in the part she was given. There are instances in the series where the actresses genuinely are giving bad performances, but Halle and Denise and a few others who are often unfairly accused of turning in a bad performance aren't among them.
    +1. Well said. The actresses from the Moore era (aside from Maud Adams in Octopussy) are awfully bad. And don't get me started on Talisa Soto... :))
    edited April 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I'm afraid I must disagree. Halle was awful with what she was given in my view, and so was Richards. Just pure rubbish. This is independent of what they were given. Again, imho, and based on my viewing of DAD yesterday and TWINE a few weeks back. The only thing they had going for them is they both looked decent (especially Berry in that dress at the Ice Palace).
  • Any parts of their performances in particular—line deliveries, glancing off for a cue a la Gloria Hendry—that struck you as bad?
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    They tried to hard to make her masculine. She comes off as an annoying James Bond wannabe.
    Halle overemphasizes her performance in DAD. From the very first scene at the Cuban beach, she's trying too hard in my view. Same goes for her acting in the clinic when speaking to the plastic surgeon. This is an Oscar winner? Dear me. She's also terribly unconvincing when running and shooting at Xao's helicopter, although miraculously all the shots seem to hit - that's film magic for you I suppose (give me Camille any day for an action girl). I'm not going to get started on her line delivery during the laser sequence (ignoring the infamous 'mama'), on the plane, and in the helicopter. If she had underplayed it a little, her performance would have been much better imho. After all, she's a very beautiful and charismatic woman, so she didn't need to go out of her way to lay it on so thick. In a way, it was like she was trying to one-up Hendry.

Richards on the other hand is just clearly out of her depth. Flat line delivery, no expressiveness. Nothing. The opposite of Berry, but just as bad. Similar to Soto in this regard. Again, all imho.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    I'm afraid I must disagree. Halle was awful with what she was given in my view, and so was Richards. Just pure rubbish. This is independent of what they were given. Again, imho, and based on my viewing of DAD yesterday and TWINE a few weeks back. The only thing they had going for them is they both looked decent (especially Berry in that dress at the Ice Palace).

Agreed.
    "Switch it off...or I'm going to be half the girl I used to be"

I despise that line.
    BAIN123 wrote: »

I despise that line.
    Indeed, and I also despise the overt way she was wiggling in the restraints as she delivered it - like some bratty child.
    The other one I loathe and ALWAYS cringe at is "I'm so gooood" right at the very end.

Probably her very worst line reading.
    In instances like this when actors are given idiotic lines to deliver, I wonder if they ever speak up and insist that they be changed. Surely they should be embarrassed to actually say such things, unless they felt they were acting in a comedy production.
    BAIN123 wrote: »

I despise that line.
    Indeed, and I also despise the overt way she was wiggling in the restraints as she delivered it - like some bratty child.
    "Hello? We're on the same side?" *wiggles*
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Appreciation - recognition and enjoyment of the good qualities of someone or something.
    As I said earlier, I appreciate DAD for what it is, but I have as much appreciation for Halle as I do for Soto in LTK. Both should have had strictly non-speaking roles, preferably in bikinis.
    Appreciation - recognition and enjoyment of the good qualities of someone or something.
    You do realize the subject material we're dealing with, don't you?
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

You do realise this is an appreciation thread, don't you?

Benny wrote: »

You do realise this is an appreciation thread, don't you?
    How about a steaming pile of dung appreciation thread, as well?

Charming...why post in here if you have no intention of contributing....?
    As poor as parts of DAD are I must confess I don't find it dull like I do with a few other Bond films.

Whether you like it or not, the film is also very of it's a time. That period in the early 2000s when many films were "experimenting" with CGI effects with mixed results.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    excuse me for quoting a line from the movie.

You are excused.

You are excused.
    Phew!