"Dont blow it all at once ": Die Another Day Appreciation Thread

Comments

• royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    I respectfully disagree, sir. The capture of Bond and the act of patricide by Graves jar in the more comic-book stylings of DAD.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    TWINE, at least IMO, takes itself far too seriously, whereas DAD knows it's having fun. I actually prefer the more serious Bond films, but by that I mean the ones I can take seriously. TWINE, for the life of me, I cannot take seriously. Neither can I take DAD seriously. But neither does DAD take itself seriously. When they wrote TWINE, it feels like Purvis & Wade were going for complexity, maturity, intrigue and drama. Instead, we get a highly convoluted plot, convenient coincidences, a lot of soap opera and the dullest bits of action ever committed to 007 celluloid.

+1
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Getafix wrote: »
    DAD isnt the worst. That's TWINE

After my viewing of DAD this week, I'd say it's gone up my ranking a couple of places.

18. The Man With The Golden Gun
    19. Moonraker
    20. Die Another Day
    21. Tomorrow Never Dies
    22. A View To A Kill
    23. Quantum Of Solace
    24. The World Is Not Enough

I'll have to rewatch the other films, but DAD could leap over MR and TMWTGG.
    I found it to be a lot of fun. Pierce is at the top of his game here. Much better than he was in TWINE. Even though the shoddy CGI and occasional bad dialogue still irk me, there is a lot to like in DAD. Especially the first half, before Bond goes to Iceland. Even after the chase on ice is visually well done, and on the whole well staged. (At least before they enter the ice palace) I may be one of a select few who actually like the villains. Graves, Zao and Miranda are all worthy entries into the rogues gallery.
    Despite the well known flaws with this film, it still delivers on the entertainment side. If only they'd have given us some 'actual stunts' and had a signature stunt for this movie, then it may have been a genuine middle of the road or even top ten entry. I never thought I'd say that about DAD.
    I must be going soft in my old age. As much as I miss him, I'm glad @Luds isn't here to see this. He'd kick me in the Thunderballs

• GamesBond007GamesBond007 Golden Grotto
    Shame, my favourite Bond film is getting a lashing in here as the single worst entry in the series. What started as a DAD appreciation thread has quickly devolved into a **** TWINE comment section.
    It's not very good.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2017 Posts: 23,883
    In a round about & modest way, we are showing our appreciation for DAD by indicating it's not the worst entry in the franchise. Some of us (myself included) firmly believe that dubious honour belongs to the predecessor film.
    all you have to do is watch WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH sober and not fall asleep and you will see. It's bad.
    Seems a strange and somewhat cynical way to go about things. Only offering appreciation at the expense of something else. I guess when you dislike something it's the only way to spread your disdain.
    It's bad.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Children please. The last few posts have been whining that TWINE isn't being fairly treated.
    This is a DAD appreciation thread. When discussing the films, members will often compare them to other films in the series.
    If you don't wish to appreciate DAD, then kindly don't post in this thread.
    If your only argument is that DAD isn't as bad as TWINE, then that's very faint praise. By all means extol the virtues of DAD, but last time I checked the thread title, it says "DAD appreciation thread", and not "kick TWINE in the balls" thread.
    I still say Cleese fluffed the one of his lines. What on earth is a "standard issue ring-finger"?
    They probably ran out of breakable glass and had to go with that take.
    Shatterhand, indeed!
    shamanimal wrote: »
    I still say Cleese fluffed the one of his lines. What on earth is a "standard issue ring-finger"?
    They probably ran out of breakable glass and had to go with that take.
    Shatterhand, indeed!

I need to go back and watch that scene again. I could only assume it's a joke given our ring finger is standard issue when we're born.

I never thought of it like that. I suppose it works as a joke, a bit.
    To be fair, the thread title was only recently changed to 'appreciation'. It was entitled something far less definitive originally by The Wiz (the OP). It may take some of us a bit of time (psychologically) to get used to the idea of openly extolling the virtues of the reboot necessitating legend that is DAD. I'll be back with my heartfelt appreciation shortly, once I get round to watching it again.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @barryt007, thank you for being so cool with how we handled things. We appreciate that. :)

Always my friend...
    edited March 2017 Posts: 4,422
    bondjames wrote: »
    To be fair, the thread title was only recently changed to 'appreciation'. It was entitled something far less definitive originally by The Wiz (the OP). It may take some of us a bit of time (psychologically) to get used to the idea of openly extolling the virtues of the reboot necessitating legend that is DAD. I'll be back with my heartfelt appreciation shortly, once I get round to watching it again.

I believe the Wiz had the original thread title to "DAD is actually pretty good", or something along those lines.

Just bought the film on Bluray, it might not be the best 007 outing but is offers a lot of fun besides the flawed use of CGI.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Having watched it last night, I have to say that I have new found appreciation for Brosnan as Bond.

He cuts a suave figure (much slicker than his successor imho) in DAD, and age and a few pounds do him a favour, as he doesn't have that baby look that he sported in GE. I think his performance is pitch perfect until the infamous CGI fiasco. After that, I think even he threw in the towel, and I don't blame him. Instances of 'pain face' are kept to a minimum here, and Brozza projects his voice in a far more manly fashion throughout the film, which really benefits his performance. Unfortunately, a side effect of this is his American Irish accent is quite prevalent. I'm pretty sure that's why he spoke in breathy whispers for most of his tenure, for fear of exposing it. He needn't have worried.

I also noticed quite a few character elements that would make themselves felt later during the Craig era. P&W certainly recycle, and that's a concern for B25 if rumours of their return are to be believed. For instance, Dench goes on about who to trust here, Brosnan and Dench have a discussion in the tube station about how one should do the job (practically or ethically) etc. etc.

I might be compelled to move this film up a few notches in my rankings, despite Halle (bloody hell, she's bad!). They should have dumped her character and made Pike's Miranda the main babe who turns bad at the end. Such a shame.
    I think Broz sells the scene when he's walking across the bridge well. He looks genuinely scared about what's about to happen.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I might be compelled to move this film up a few notches in my rankings, despite Halle (bloody hell, she's bad!). They should have dumped her character and made Pike's Miranda the main babe who turns bad at the end. Such a shame.

Didn t they do this in the previous film?
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    I think Broz sells the scene when he's walking across the bridge well. He looks genuinely scared about what's about to happen.
    Agreed. He has a lot of neat little scenes like that in this film. I like how he confronts M in the tube station as well. The virtual shootout is pretty cool too (not MP's version though). Love the bit when he lets the magazine fall to the floor as he reloads.
    Didn t they do this in the previous film?
    That is a good point. Scrap that idea then. They just should have dumped Halle!

they made Halle the main babe and she turned bad as soon as she turned up.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Totally wasn't her fault. Lee made a disaster of P+W's script and gave her an abomination of a character.
    She is an oscar winning actress.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    The 14 year old me loved this film in 2002. But once the Craig era came along, this and the other Brosnan films went completely unmatched and on the backburner with the exception of GoldenEye
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Seriously, I don't see what's so special about GoldenEye other than the hype it left people back in '95. If anything, I find it only slightly better than The World Is Not Enough. Tomorrow Never Dies is by far superior to its predecessor.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Seriously, I don't see what's so special about GoldenEye other than the hype it left people back in '95. If anything, I find it only slightly better than The World Is Not Enough. Tomorrow Never Dies is by far superior to its predecessor.

For me its the sentimental value of it. Definitely not the best Bond film IMO. But it holds a very special place because with it and the N64 game, I would not be a bond fan

For me its the sentimental value of it. Definitely not the best Bond film IMO. But it holds a very special place because with it and the N64 game, I would not be a bond fan
    For me, GE is the last Bond film that feels like a Bond film in Brosnan's run. The rest just feel like generic action films starring a caricature of a character called James Bond. That's no fault of Brosnan's (although he did a truly abysmal acting job in TWINE imho), but rather the producers (yes, I said the producers - and not the directors), who should have had tighter control over what was going on. I agree that TND is far more polished, production wise than GE - the money is definitely up there on the screen. However, for me it's decidely a case of more is less.

I will say that Brosnan is probably the best thing in DAD. I think he did an excellent job there.