"Dont blow it all at once ": Die Another Day Appreciation Thread

Comments

• edited April 2017 Posts: 19,339
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    As poor as parts of DAD are I must confess I don't find it dull like I do with a few other Bond films.

Whether you like it or not, the film is also very of it's a time. That period in the early 2000s when many films were "experimenting" with CGI effects with mixed results.

And,just 1 year after 9/11 it had to be a 'feel-good factor film' and i think on that respect it delivered..people needed cheering up,a little escapism from a horrible time.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I don't count Halle Berry as a problem with the film. In other films, she could be a different actress. I would blame the writing. That said, there is a fair amount to like in DAD. The PTS is perfectly fine, and everything after the titles but up to Cuba is also fine. After that, I also like how Bond disposes of Zao, including his use of the Vanquish's "Adaptive Camouflage".
    Die another day suffers from one unforgivable sin:

A lack of class.

We've had bad special effects before, silly gadgets, poor villains, but never a gutter level feel to things that feels so grubby.

Halle berry is the main problem on this front, or rather purvis and wade are with what they gave her to do.

I don't want people saying trash like "yo momma", "bitch" etc. Bond shows a glimpse into a semi real world of luxury, escapism etc. If I want to hear this sort of thing I'll go to Asda.

I do love the fencing scene though, even if once they go outside it's obviously a sound stage.
    It is a waste,having an actress of that calibre and reducing her to what she showed on screen..but surely she read the script and would have some say in it,or is it that the 'check ins in the post' and money comes first ?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @barryt007, I often wonder that myself. If I recall correctly, Halle was Oscar nominated after signing on to this. Perhaps the opportunity of being a Bond girl is irresistible, and never mind the script. Besides, Halle did Swordfish, Catwoman, ... She's not all that picky it seems. ;-)
    Agreed DD...she seems very hit and miss ...i think its more money and prestige than the actual role involved.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Die Another Day is in my Top 4 most watchable Bond film.

DAF, MR, DAD, QOS
    I think DAD is Brosnan's best film since GE. TND and TWINE are still great, though.
    All four are great actually, even TWINE being the least good of the lot.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Agreed DD...she seems very hit and miss ...i think its more money and prestige than the actual role involved.

I think she might have signed on just to be in a Bond film based off interviews and appearances she's done since. Jinx is probably my least favourite Bond girl but I love how enthusiastic Halle Berry seems about Bond. She did something at the time of SF iirc, presenting some sort of award for Bond being around for 50 years, and seemed genuinely proud to have been a Bond girl. It was nice to see her take part even after all these years and the slating that her performance has gotten since. One of those cast members that's turned into a good ambassador for the franchise.
    I can only always say this again and again.

In EVERY Bond montage that was shown at Award Shows from Brit Awards to the Oscars, Halle Berry's beach moment is featured very prominently and her Bond moment with the weapon.

In the real world, Berry is loved for her Bond girl performance.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Well people need a bit of light humour and a laugh from time to time. Even the stiffs at the award shows realize that, particularly after a couple of hours of enduring the pretension.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I can only always say this again and again.

In EVERY Bond montage that was shown at Award Shows from Brit Awards to the Oscars, Halle Berry's beach moment is featured very prominently and her Bond moment with the weapon.

In the real world, Berry is loved for her Bond girl performance.

In the real world Justin Bieber has a trillion followers on Twitter, the BBC just recommissioned Mrs Brown's Boys for its 500th series and Donald Trump is president.

What's your point exactly?
    so great

It is indeed, until she opens her mouth.
    bondjames wrote: »

If I was P&W I could pen a swift sub Carry On double entendre on how best you can fill her open mouth.

But matching their dialogue in that scene genuinely is beneath me.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 1,162

Maybe there is something in her accent that's annoying to native speakers, but I myself never found anything to complain about her. I still think she looks stunning and does a good enough job for me. Also, the flirting dialogue with Brosnan after she comes out of the sea is the last convincing of the franchise. Craig doesn't have a single elaborate and convincing one ( "can you show me the stationary" anyone? ).
    This is how you celebrate a Bond anniversary. With something fun and entertaining and exciting.

edited June 2017 Posts: 23,883

Maybe there is something in her accent that's annoying to native speakers, but I myself never found anything to complain about her. I still think she looks stunning and does a good enough job for me. Also, the flirting dialogue with Brosnan after she comes out of the sea is the last convincing of the franchise. Craig doesn't have a single elaborate and convincing one ( "can you show me the stationary" anyone? ).
    She does look stunning throughout. I'm not sure if it's a native English speaking thing. It has more to do with her delivery and emphasis. Her approach and mannerisms are exaggerated & almost caricatured - like she's trying too hard to be 'cool' and 'hip'. Hardly what I expect from an Oscar winner and quite unnecessary, because as you note, she's highly attractive and could have kept our attention with a more underplayed performance.

I agree on Craig and the ladies though. He's not convincing to me. CR gave him a good script to work with, Campbell knew how to direct the respective scenes, and Green and Murino are sexy enough to make even an amateur step up his game.
    edited June 2017 Posts: 9,020
    Jinx has a few stupid lines. But if you watch the film and see all her screen time, she is actually a very good written character with decent dialogue.

As with the bad CGI things get blown out of proportion just to hate on DAD once again.

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Jinx has a few stupid lines. But if you watch the film and see all her screen time, she is actually a very good written character with decent dialogue.

As with the bad CGI things get blown out of proportion just to hate on DAD once again.
    Only you and I see things that way here, mate. The rest are pretty much set in the opposite of this rather uncommon opinion we both seem to share.

Once again this proves my point. That was a largely non-speaking clip, and it was great until the very end.

That's borderline genius. Comedy gold!!

Blown out of proportion, they turned Bond into an actual computer character!! For me its not just the cgi. Its badly written, poor characters, lame action and that godawful theme song. And that scene where Bond stops his own heartbeat ala Derek Flint probably had Fleming spinning in his grave.

another favourite sequence of mine! that's how you swim under water (looking at you Mr Craigbond)
    By the way this is an Appreciation thread folks, so appreciate or go away haha...

@ClarkDevlin
    actually planned to do the double feature LTK/GE tomorrow after I have seen TWINE/SF last, but now it's gonna be DAD/SP, oh what pleasure!! If only it was tomorrow already haha!
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Let's see if I can get the nephews brought up here to watch that double bill myself. Jolly good suggestion, Jason. :D
    Someone recently switched it to an Appreciation thread. The initial premise (and most of the commentary for the majority of the 64 pages) is more of a critical appraisal. I think the other 7 comment thread was meant to be the Appreciation.

False advertising if you ask me.
    yes no problem @bondjames

a good discussion is always welcome anywhere I would think :)