Chat Thread - Free Discussion

Comments

• mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    https://variety.com/2018/film/global/quentin-tarantino-cretin-says-italian-composer-ennio-morricone-1203025547/
    Quentin Tarantino ‘A Cretin,’ Says ‘Hateful Eight’ Composer Ennio Morricone

Legendary Italian composer Ennio Morricone, who won an Oscar for the music to “The Hateful Eight,” has labeled the film’s director, Quentin Tarantino, “a cretin” and called his films “trash.”

Morricone savaged Tarantino in an interview published this week in the December edition of the German-language version of Playboy. He criticized Tarantino on two main counts: his chaotic working style, and his lack of originality. “He is not a director,” the veteran musician alleged.

Tarantino “is absolutely chaotic. He talks without thinking, he does everything at the last minute. He has no idea,” said Morricone, adding: “He calls up out of the blue and wants a complete score in just a few days. That’s not possible. It makes me so mad. I’m not going to put up with this. And I told him so last time.”

Morricone, who has credits on more than 500 movies and has provided iconic scores for Sergio Leone’s “A Fistful of Dollars,” Roland Joffe’s Cannes-winning “The Mission,” and Guiseppe Tornatore’s “Cinema Paradiso,” said that Tarantino does not rank in the pantheon of great directors.

“The man is a cretin. He only steals from others and puts stuff back together again. There’s nothing original about that. That doesn’t make him a director,” Morricone said. “He is nothing compared with the Hollywood greats, such as John Huston, Alfred Hitchcock or Billy Wilder. They had class. Tarantino simply recooks old dishes.”

Morricone, who turned 90 this week, also did not spare the U.S. and the Oscars ceremony from criticism. He pushed back against suggestions that the 2016 Oscar ceremony left him emotionally disturbed. “Nonsense. Rather, I was in pain from sitting down for so long, on the plane and at the ceremony. If I looked happy, it was because I knew I would soon be getting away from that boring ceremony,” Morricone said. He added that he has no desire to return to the U.S. with “its self-inflated pomposities and embarrassments like the Oscars.”

For some reason, this makes me laugh. They're an odd couple.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    https://variety.com/2018/film/global/quentin-tarantino-cretin-says-italian-composer-ennio-morricone-1203025547/

Legendary Italian composer Ennio Morricone, who won an Oscar for the music to “The Hateful Eight,” has labeled the film’s director, Quentin Tarantino, “a cretin” and called his films “trash.”

Morricone savaged Tarantino in an interview published this week in the December edition of the German-language version of Playboy. He criticized Tarantino on two main counts: his chaotic working style, and his lack of originality. “He is not a director,” the veteran musician alleged.

Tarantino “is absolutely chaotic. He talks without thinking, he does everything at the last minute. He has no idea,” said Morricone, adding: “He calls up out of the blue and wants a complete score in just a few days. That’s not possible. It makes me so mad. I’m not going to put up with this. And I told him so last time.”

Morricone, who has credits on more than 500 movies and has provided iconic scores for Sergio Leone’s “A Fistful of Dollars,” Roland Joffe’s Cannes-winning “The Mission,” and Guiseppe Tornatore’s “Cinema Paradiso,” said that Tarantino does not rank in the pantheon of great directors.

“The man is a cretin. He only steals from others and puts stuff back together again. There’s nothing original about that. That doesn’t make him a director,” Morricone said. “He is nothing compared with the Hollywood greats, such as John Huston, Alfred Hitchcock or Billy Wilder. They had class. Tarantino simply recooks old dishes.”

Morricone, who turned 90 this week, also did not spare the U.S. and the Oscars ceremony from criticism. He pushed back against suggestions that the 2016 Oscar ceremony left him emotionally disturbed. “Nonsense. Rather, I was in pain from sitting down for so long, on the plane and at the ceremony. If I looked happy, it was because I knew I would soon be getting away from that boring ceremony,” Morricone said. He added that he has no desire to return to the U.S. with “its self-inflated pomposities and embarrassments like the Oscars.”

SPIEGEL ONLINE reports today that Morricone denies ever having said those things and that he intends to sue the German Playboy publisher.

Oh, and here's the story in English as well:

https://indiewire.com/2018/11/ennio-morricone-quentin-tarantino-cretin-1202019650/
    j_w_pepper wrote: »

SPIEGEL ONLINE reports today that Morricone denies ever having said those things and that he intends to sue the German Playboy publisher.

Oh, and here's the story in English as well:

https://indiewire.com/2018/11/ennio-morricone-quentin-tarantino-cretin-1202019650/

Outrageous!
  • edited November 2018 Posts: 17,293
    I might remember wrong, but hasn't Morricone made similar comments re. Tarantino films before? Pre–The Hateful Eight, of course.
    I might remember wrong, but hasn't Morricone made similar comments re. Tarantino films before? Pre–The Hateful Eight, of course.

That's right. That's why I wasn't surprised by Morricone's recent comments (or rather, supposed comments). Before The Hateful Eight, Morricone had said he wouldn't work with Tarantino because he didn't place music in his films in a coherent way, and he hadn't cared for Inglourious Basterds. I assumed whatever differences of opinion they might've had before had resurfaced now, possibly on account of Tarantino asking Morricone to score his upcoming film.

If the recent Playboy interview is rubbish, then I guess whoever fabricated the stuff counted on people believing it because of Morricone's earlier words. But it was a shortsighted thing to attempt.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

That's right. That's why I wasn't surprised by Morricone's recent comments (or rather, supposed comments). Before The Hateful Eight, Morricone had said he wouldn't work with Tarantino because he didn't place music in his films in a coherent way, and he hadn't cared for Inglourious Basterds. I assumed whatever differences of opinion they might've had before had resurfaced now, possibly on account of Tarantino asking Morricone to score his upcoming film.

If the recent Playboy interview is rubbish, then I guess whoever fabricated the stuff counted on people believing it because of Morricone's earlier words. But it was a shortsighted thing to attempt.

You're probably right about that. It's probably a "new spin" on an old story, which has made Morricone make a statement. Pretty low by Playboy to fabricate a story – if they have.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    The incredibly horrific, unprecedented fires in California ...
    people are helping rescue animals, too. This is a rather stunning photo.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    edited November 2018 Posts: 3,000
    Bond’s first Walther PPK, formerly owned by Bernard Lee himself, goes up for auction: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-46360414

Interesting to note that it was a fully functioning gun, not a blank-firing prop.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I don’t believe Connery ever held a PPK in Dr. No. It was a PP posing as a PPK.
    I don’t believe Connery ever held a PPK in Dr. No. It was a PP posing as a PPK.

@ClarkDevlin It’s strange, there’s an article on MI6 HQ ( https://www.mi6-hq.com/news/index.php?itemid=4509 ) about a Walther PP from Dr No being sold at auction in 2006, but no mention of it being Lee’s. Perhaps Lee’s personal PPK was used until the PP arrived for filming? The BBC article mentions his gun was only used because the prop gun hadn’t arrived yet, but it was replaced by the other gun for the rest of filming as Lee’s gun was deemed “inappropriate” (presumably because it was a fully functional gun, not a prop gun modified to only chamber blanks).
    Bond’s first Walther PPK, formerly owned by Bernard Lee himself, goes up for auction: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-46360414

Interesting to note that it was a fully functioning gun, not a blank-firing prop.

What a piece of Bond movie history that would be to own!!!
    RogueAgent wrote: »

Unfortunately looking at comments on that link in various Facebook Bond groups, it appears that @ClarkDevlin was correct in his instincts; It’s a total lie. Sad that the BBC is peddling such BS.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    The Wizard of Oz most 'influential' film of all time according to network science

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/11/181129223426.htm

'...When applied to actors, the algorithm ranked Samuel L. Jackson, Clint Eastwood and Tom Cruise as the top three. The authors noticed a strong gender bias towards male actors; the only female in the top ten was Lois Maxwell, who played the recurring role of Miss Moneypenny in the James Bond franchise ...'

Well done Miss Moneypenny

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    RogueAgent wrote: »

Unfortunately looking at comments on that link in various Facebook Bond groups, it appears that @ClarkDevlin was correct in his instincts; It’s a total lie. Sad that the BBC is peddling such BS.
    I would not say total lie, @BMW_with_missiles. Just that it's wrongfully represented. I don't know whether the story was true or not, but Bernard Lee could've brought his real-life albeit unregistered PPK on set when the prop didn't make it to the set so they resorted to getting a Walther PP replica instead. But, the fact remains that Connery was never seen using a PPK in the film. It was a Walther PP all along, posing as a PPK.
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 17,293
    Anyone here listen to music primarily via Spotify? The annual Your 2018 in music is out, and that's always fun to read. What music did you listen to most, and what other interesting stats/facts about 2018 did you find?

- The first song I listened to in 2018 was "The Last Tango in Paris", by Reuben Wilson, and the first artist I discovered was Melvin Sparks.
    - I've apparently listened to 47,542 minutes of music. Surprising, but I have music on in the background a lot.
    - Arctic Monkeys was my top artist of 2018. With a new album out – which I've listened to a lot, that wasn't surprising.
    - "Killing the Joke" by Miles Kane was the song I listened to the most. The album that the song is from – "Coup de Grace", was only released in August, so I didn't expect that to be the most played song.
    - Rock was again my go-to genre. No surprises there either.
    - I listened to non-mainstream artists 147% more than the average Spotify listener. Am I a hipster now?
    - The oldest song I listened to was Yma Sumac's "Goomba Boomba" from 1954. Can't remember having listened to that particular song, but it's probably been included in one of the many playlists Ive played through.
    Anyone here listen to music primarily via Spotify? The annual Your 2018 in music is out, and that's always fun to read. What music did you listen to most, and what other interesting stats/facts about 2018 did you find?

- The first song I listened to in 2018 was "The Last Tango in Paris", by Reuben Wilson, and the first artist I discovered was Melvin Sparks.
    - I've apparently listened to 47,542 minutes of music. Surprising, but I have music on in the background a lot.
    - Arctic Monkeys was my top artist of 2018. With a new album out – which I've listened to a lot, that wasn't surprising.
    - "Killing the Joke" by Miles Kane was the song I listened to the most. The album that the song is from – "Coup de Grace", was only released in August, so I didn't expect that to be the most played song.
    - I listened to non-mainstream artists 147% more than the average Spotify listener. Am I a hipster now?
    - The oldest song I listened to was Yma Sumac's "Goomba Boomba" from 1954. Can't remember having listened to that particular song, but it's probably been included in one of the many playlists Ive played through.

Is that for Spotify Premium users only? I have the free version with all the irritating ads, and can t find those stats.
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 17,293

Is that for Spotify Premium users only? I have the free version with all the irritating ads, and can t find those stats.

Really don't know. I have Premium, and got an email about it earlier today. You can try the link from the email to see if it works:
    spotifywrapped.com/en/
    Link unclickable.
    Link unclickable.

Ah, does https://spotifywrapped.com/en/ work?
    edited December 2018 Posts: 45,489
    Link unclickable.

Yes, thanks.

Started the year by listening to The Heart Knows Better by David Sylvian

First artist discovered: Durutti Column
    Listened 50 858 minutes
    Top artist: John Barry-16 hours
    Top song: Let the Happiness In-David Sylvian

Top genre: Rock
    Oldest song: Castle Rock (1951) Johnny Hodges

• 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    I watched skyfall recently and thought Is Bond bisexual if he is I'm not happy because that isn't his character https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/2082845
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited December 2018 Posts: 40,474
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    I watched skyfall recently and thought Is Bond bisexual if he is I'm not happy because that isn't his character https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/2082845

He's not bisexual, hence him only ever having sex with women.
    Link unclickable.

Yes, thanks.

Started the year by listening to The Heart Knows Better by David Sylvian

First artist discovered: Durutti Column
    Listened 50 858 minutes
    Top artist: John Barry-16 hours
    Top song: Let the Happiness In-David Sylvian

Top genre: Rock
    Oldest song: Castle Rock (1951) Johnny Hodges

16 hours of John Barry? Nice! He wasn't on my top list for some strange reason.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

@Creasy47 its been driving me up the wall
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

Bugging you that he might be bisexual, or that he's perceived as such in SF? Because it's neither, his little quip about "What makes you think this is my first time?" is obviously an attempt to play the same, uncomfortable game that Silva is playing with him. Nowhere else does the series ever seem to hint at him being bisexual, including this moment which is just a playful attempt at one-upping the villain.

Bugging you that he might be bisexual, or that he's perceived as such in SF? Because it's neither, his little quip about "What makes you think this is my first time?" is obviously an attempt to play the same, uncomfortable game that Silva is playing with him. Nowhere else does the series ever seem to hint at him being bisexual, including this moment which is just a playful attempt at one-upping the villain.

@Creasy47 ok that makes sense thanks
    Dec 8 : Deer Hunter 40
    Dec 10 : Superman the Movie 40

Saw Superman in cinema recently , the intro.......powerful !