Chat Thread - Free Discussion

Comments

• edited October 2018 Posts: 17,272
    Spent some time last week downsizing my DVD collection – selling some DVD's, giving away some, and putting much of the rest in plastic sleeves rather than cases (work in progress, as I've ordered more sleeves).

This weekend I also went through some of my comic book collection, deciding on getting rid of most of it - knowing I might regret it. That got me thinking: many here on the forum are collectors of films, Bond items, etc. How do you organize all your stuff, and do you have any smart solutions for saving space?

Also; does anyone have any experience with plastic sleeves for CD's? Thinking of giving my CD collection the same treatment as the film collection, with sleeves that have space for tray cards and booklets.

Edit: thought about making this a thread, but figured it isn't much of a topic.

Things I won't use regularly are in large plastic containers, I have got rid of alot I mean alot of music and memorabilia in the past and regretted it. If you can compact store it I would recommend that.

Yeah, storing stuff in sleeves gives me the opportunity to keep some of the stuff, at least. Three DVD shelves were downsized to two shoe box sized wooden crates, with place to spare. Will be difficult getting rid of the comics, but there's no other way, unfortunately.

Is there anywhere local or online you can sell the comics? So you can recoup some money.

I'll try yo sell some of it if I see there's a little to be made, but most of the comics don't have much value other than that there's a lot of them. Trying to keep more collectible items, such as hardcover comic books, etc.

Need to have a look at my book collection too, come to think of it. No doubt that will be just as difficult downsizing as the comic book collection. Sometimes I wish my hobbies didn't involve collecting things, haha!

One good thing about the digital age you can get downloads of most things. I have been recouping much of what I lost though its been fun rediscovering music and books etc.

Yeah, having things available in digital formats certainly helps – at least with future purchases.

Continued my downsizing project even further last evening, putting some music DVD's in sleeves. I even took a James Bond film out of it's original packaging, putting it in a sleeve instead…

giphy.gif
    …it was only CR67!

It has made me think a bit, though. I have three SE DVD's in addition to the 22 DVD Box Set, and the Craig films in original releases. Do I listen to my inner collector, keeping the SE DVD's in their original cases, or do I put them in sleeves to save the space (which I'll probably need)?

I can't see myself ever selling those three SE DVD's, so keeping the cases for reselling purposes won't be necessary. There's also the Bond VHS collection I have, which is every film from DN to DAD – DN to LTK being a 1993 release. Do these VHS cassettes have any real value, making it a smart move keeping them?
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Spent some time last week downsizing my DVD collection – selling some DVD's, giving away some, and putting much of the rest in plastic sleeves rather than cases (work in progress, as I've ordered more sleeves).

This weekend I also went through some of my comic book collection, deciding on getting rid of most of it - knowing I might regret it. That got me thinking: many here on the forum are collectors of films, Bond items, etc. How do you organize all your stuff, and do you have any smart solutions for saving space?

Also; does anyone have any experience with plastic sleeves for CD's? Thinking of giving my CD collection the same treatment as the film collection, with sleeves that have space for tray cards and booklets.

Things I won't use regularly are in large plastic containers, I have got rid of alot I mean alot of music and memorabilia in the past and regretted it. If you can compact store it I would recommend that.

Yeah, storing stuff in sleeves gives me the opportunity to keep some of the stuff, at least. Three DVD shelves were downsized to two shoe box sized wooden crates, with place to spare. Will be difficult getting rid of the comics, but there's no other way, unfortunately.

Is there anywhere local or online you can sell the comics? So you can recoup some money.

I'll try yo sell some of it if I see there's a little to be made, but most of the comics don't have much value other than that there's a lot of them. Trying to keep more collectible items, such as hardcover comic books, etc.

Need to have a look at my book collection too, come to think of it. No doubt that will be just as difficult downsizing as the comic book collection. Sometimes I wish my hobbies didn't involve collecting things, haha!

One good thing about the digital age you can get downloads of most things. I have been recouping much of what I lost though its been fun rediscovering music and books etc.

Yeah, having things available in digital formats certainly helps – at least with future purchases.

Continued my downsizing project even further last evening, putting some music DVD's in sleeves. I even took a James Bond film out of it's original packaging, putting it in a sleeve instead…

giphy.gif
    …it was only CR67!

It has made me think a bit, though. I have three SE DVD's in addition to the 22 DVD Box Set, and the Craig films in original releases. Do I listen to my inner collector, keeping the SE DVD's in their original cases, or do I put them in sleeves to save the space (which I'll probably need)?

I can't see myself ever selling those three SE DVD's, so keeping the cases for reselling purposes won't be necessary. There's also the Bond VHS collection I have, which is every film from DN to DAD – DN to LTK being a 1993 release. Do these VHS cassettes have any real value, making it a smart move keeping them?

Best not listen to my advice I was ruthless with my videos and binned the lot and regret it.

I won't put things in sleeves maybe my ocd I need to have things in there original cases, my boxed dvd I will try and sell as majority I have either on digital or bluray now (though there are rare and collectable dvd I'll always keep)

giphy.gif
    …it was only CR67!

Best not listen to my advice I was ruthless with my videos and binned the lot and regret it.

I won't put things in sleeves maybe my ocd I need to have things in there original cases, my boxed dvd I will try and sell as majority I have either on digital or bluray now (though there are rare and collectable dvd I'll always keep)

It will be a difficult decision to bin the VHS's, that's for sure. They take up plenty of space though, in comparison to DVD's. Regarding the DVD's and sleeves/original cases, I'd prefer it that way too, of course. Putting the three SE DVD's in sleeves will be a way to justify having them as duplicates to the films in the DVD boxset.

The boxset might be replaced with a Blu-ray collection eventually, but since I watch a lot on my Macbook these days, digital downloads might be an option too. Do like having the Bond films in a physical format though.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited October 2018 Posts: 23,271

giphy.gif
    …it was only CR67!

It will be a difficult decision to bin the VHS's, that's for sure. They take up plenty of space though, in comparison to DVD's. Regarding the DVD's and sleeves/original cases, I'd prefer it that way too, of course. Putting the three SE DVD's in sleeves will be a way to justify having them as duplicates to the films in the DVD boxset.

The boxset might be replaced with a Blu-ray collection eventually, but since I watch a lot on my Macbook these days, digital downloads might be an option too. Do like having the Bond films in a physical format though.

Digital is the way to go I have a few hundred owned films on my phone at any time to watch including over half the Bond films so far, downloaded all my Bond movies to watch on my phone offline. I still buy blurays as I still like to have physical media. Admittedly I have slowed down on buying blurays as I have the majority of films I wanted.

I would perhaps keep the Bond VHS, I regret binning them the most.

giphy.gif
    …it was only CR67!

Digital is the way to go I have a few hundred owned films on my phone at any time to watch including over half the Bond films so far, downloaded all my Bond movies to watch on my phone offline. I still buy blurays as I still like to have physical media. Admittedly I have slowed down on buying blurays as I have the majority of films I wanted.

How does the image quality of the digital downloads compare to the Blu-rays? Are they just the same? I guess that will be a factor too, as far as formats go.

That's what I'm fearing. Guess the attraction to these now, is the obsolete format. Do wish I had a functioning VHS player though. Would make for a different viewing experience!

If I decide keeping them, I should probably think about giving them a smart storage solution. Maybe there's some nice wooden crates or boxes that fits VHS cassettes?

giphy.gif
    …it was only CR67!

How does the image quality of the digital downloads compare to the Blu-rays? Are they just the same? I guess that will be a factor too, as far as formats go.

That's what I'm fearing. Guess the attraction to these now, is the obsolete format. Do wish I had a functioning VHS player though. Would make for a different viewing experience!

If I decide keeping them, I should probably think about giving them a smart storage solution. Maybe there's some nice wooden crates or boxes that fits VHS cassettes?

Some Bond movies on Amazon are great some are lesser though hardly noticeable, though on phone looks great, my phone is way too big though made my tablets obselete lol its perfect for movies plus I have a tripod and a stand for it, ideal for work.
    I have Amazon video app on all my tablets my pc and both my TV's so I can watch my digital collection anywhere.

I wish I had kept my Bond videos just to use as ornaments.

giphy.gif
    …it was only CR67!

Some Bond movies on Amazon are great some are lesser though hardly noticeable, though on phone looks great, my phone is way too big though made my tablets obselete lol its perfect for movies plus I have a tripod and a stand for it, ideal for work.
    I have Amazon video app on all my tablets my pc and both my TV's so I can watch my digital collection anywhere.

I wish I had kept my Bond videos just to use as ornaments.

Do you have any experience with the Bond films on iTunes/Google play? Guess that's where I need to get them, if going digital. What I like about iTunes is the accessibility of my downloads on the Apple TV. Didn't plan on it, but I've become an Apple person over the last 6-7 years!

Guess VHS's have a decorative "quality" – at least the 1993 ones I have, which features the original poster artwork rather than photoshopped images.
    @Torgeirtrap I have no Bond films on Google play though the films I have on Google play are spot on, I have the Ultra violet digital copy of SP which I watch on Rakuten. Its worth checking your films that have digital copies and redeem them, or you could sell the codes.

Yeah I had this set, looked great on a shelf...
    James-Bond-VHS-Tape-Collection-vhs-35547966-580-279.jpg
    @Torgeirtrap I have no Bond films on Google play though the films I have on Google play are spot on, I have the Ultra violet digital copy of SP which I watch on Rakuten. Its worth checking your films that have digital copies and redeem them, or you could sell the codes.

I think maybe a couple of them (might) have a digital copy download code. Will have to check!
    Yeah I had this set, looked great on a shelf...
    James-Bond-VHS-Tape-Collection-vhs-35547966-580-279.jpg

I remember seeing an advert for that set in 1999-2000! That set looks a bit better on a shelf though, with images on the spine. Those I have only have the titles on the spine.
    @Torgeirtrap if you have digital copy included in bluray or dvd of any Bond films will save you some money.
    @Torgeirtrap if you have digital copy included in bluray or dvd of any Bond films will save you some money.

Will probably only be digital copies of SF and SP. Best thing about that is that it might save me from having to spend money on digital downloads of two titles I don't enjoy that much!

Will probably only be digital copies of SF and SP. Best thing about that is that it might save me from having to spend money on digital downloads of two titles I don't enjoy that much!

I have the Bond50 set so I only bought SF and SP on Bluray individually.

I agree I struggle with both those movies.

Just watched a video of the Bond 50 Blu Ray set. It certainly looks quite a lot slimmer and more space friendly than the Ultimate DVD Collection Box Set I have. Should probably wait until 2020 to see if they come up with something interesting then.

Just watched a video of the Bond 50 Blu Ray set. It certainly looks quite a lot slimmer and more space friendly than the Ultimate DVD Collection Box Set I have. Should probably wait until 2020 to see if they come up with something interesting then.

I would not be surprised if they brought out a 60th anniversary boxset, I got the Bond50 on release, its considerably cheaper now.

Though I'll hold on now for the 4K set though that will be expensive.

I would not be surprised if they brought out a 60th anniversary boxset, I got the Bond50 on release, its considerably cheaper now.

Though I'll hold on now for the 4K set though that will be expensive.

The 60th anniversary isn't as big as the 50th, but I wouldn't be surprised if they come up with something new for that. Still a few years away from that though.

Hadn't even thought about 4K! My TV is some years old already, and I only watch Blu-ray on my PS3, so it would require a bit of money spent on new stuff for the films to be experienced as they should in 4K. Won't worry about that just yet!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    CAPTION CONTEST
    faster-pussycat-kill-kill-1108x0-c-default.jpg

Yes, me too.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Didn't know where to post this, but here's some interesting article I've come across just now:
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6243219/Did-Welsh-spy-inspire-007-Grandson-discovers-relative-WWII-secret-agent-called-James-Bond.html

Very interesting. So now we do know his full name. James Charles Bond.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.

This changes things. It does make sense that Fleming would have to conceal the true origin story of the name because of the Official Secrets Act. Heck, this info was only made discoverable in 2014, and it’s still classified what the purpose of his mission was while working for Fleming.
    I see he was also born in 1917, as was Fleming s Bond initially.
    CAPTION CONTEST
    image.jpg
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited October 2018 Posts: 15,423
    "I'm afraid you caught me with more than my hands up."

giphy.gif
    Germanlady crashes the mod room.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Germanlady crashes the mod room.

:)) :)) :))
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Melina Havelock upgrades her weapon of choice in the new release For Your Eyes Only 2.0.
    I have a question some of you might be able to help out with. I often watch DVD's on my Macbook these days, and the DVD drive is of course region restricted – only playing region 2 releases. There's always some interesting titles available on Amazon etc. that are region 1 releases, which won't play on my Macbook unless I change the region settings on the DVD drive (which you can only do a limited number of times).

Is there any way you can "trick" the DVD drive to play region 1 DVD's without risking that it might lock itself to only playing region 1 discs?
    I have a question some of you might be able to help out with. I often watch DVD's on my Macbook these days, and the DVD drive is of course region restricted – only playing region 2 releases. There's always some interesting titles available on Amazon etc. that are region 1 releases, which won't play on my Macbook unless I change the region settings on the DVD drive (which you can only do a limited number of times).

Is there any way you can "trick" the DVD drive to play region 1 DVD's without risking that it might lock itself to only playing region 1 discs?

I have two dvd drives for my PC one is external, some dvd software I had was the same regarding region 1 disks, it asked me to change settings.

What I did was try numerous dvd softwares. I am on Windows so best for you to check online what all region players are available.

I have two dvd drives for my PC one is external, some dvd software I had was the same regarding region 1 disks, it asked me to change settings.

What I did was try numerous dvd softwares. I am on Windows so best for you to check online what all region players are available.

Thanks! Would be much easier if some DVD softwares made it possible to play DVD's from different regions – without having to get a external DVD drive. VLC perhaps?