Chat Thread - Free Discussion

Comments

• mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited October 2018 Posts: 6,724
    I have a question some of you might be able to help out with. I often watch DVD's on my Macbook these days, and the DVD drive is of course region restricted – only playing region 2 releases. There's always some interesting titles available on Amazon etc. that are region 1 releases, which won't play on my Macbook unless I change the region settings on the DVD drive (which you can only do a limited number of times).

Is there any way you can "trick" the DVD drive to play region 1 DVD's without risking that it might lock itself to only playing region 1 discs?

I have two dvd drives for my PC one is external, some dvd software I had was the same regarding region 1 disks, it asked me to change settings.

What I did was try numerous dvd softwares. I am on Windows so best for you to check online what all region players are available.

Thanks! Would be much easier if some DVD softwares made it possible to play DVD's from different regions – without having to get a external DVD drive. VLC perhaps?

Have a look here: https://www.videohelp.com/software/sections/region-free-tools

Even though it's unlikely to still work, I'd first try DVD43. It is freeware, after all.

Failing that, AnyDVD HD, the first software on the list, is supposedly the best one to bypass region restrictions. The bad news is you have to buy a licence (...to kill) to use it. A physical drive might be cheaper than, say, a lifetime licence.

Having said that, as the title suggests, AnyDVD HD is not only for DVD, but for Blu-Ray. I know it used to be called just AnyDVD in older versions, when it only supported DVD, and I suspect these versions were freeware, so you could search for one.
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 17,279
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I have a question some of you might be able to help out with. I often watch DVD's on my Macbook these days, and the DVD drive is of course region restricted – only playing region 2 releases. There's always some interesting titles available on Amazon etc. that are region 1 releases, which won't play on my Macbook unless I change the region settings on the DVD drive (which you can only do a limited number of times).

Is there any way you can "trick" the DVD drive to play region 1 DVD's without risking that it might lock itself to only playing region 1 discs?

I have two dvd drives for my PC one is external, some dvd software I had was the same regarding region 1 disks, it asked me to change settings.

What I did was try numerous dvd softwares. I am on Windows so best for you to check online what all region players are available.

Thanks! Would be much easier if some DVD softwares made it possible to play DVD's from different regions – without having to get a external DVD drive. VLC perhaps?

Have a look here: https://www.videohelp.com/software/sections/region-free-tools

Even though it's unlikely to still work, I'd first try DVD43. It is freeware, after all.

Failing that, AnyDVD HD, the first software on the list, is supposedly the best one to bypass region restrictions. The bad news is you have to buy a licence (...to kill) to use it. A physical drive might be cheaper than, say, a lifetime licence.

Having said that, as the title suggests, AnyDVD HD is not only for DVD, but for Blu-Ray. I know it used to be called just AnyDVD in older versions, when it only supported DVD, and I suspect these versions were freeware, so you could search for one.

Thanks, I'll have a look! Might have to get an external drive if it doesn't work though. Hopefully that won't be too expensive.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

I use vlc which is great for changing skins, I was going to suggest one that I use that is definately all regions though some reviews say its full of malware though I have not had issues. Its called 5k player, I would just be very careful where you downloaded it from if you choose to look at it.

I use vlc which is great for changing skins, I was going to suggest one that I use that is definately all regions though some reviews say its full of malware though I have not had issues. Its called 5k player, I would just be very careful where you downloaded it from if you choose to look at it.

So VLC works for playing different region DVD's without issue? I'll have a look at 5k Player as well. I guess you downloaded it from the official website?
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

So VLC works for playing different region DVD's without issue? I'll have a look at 5k Player as well. I guess you downloaded it from the official website?

Vlc bypasses Region codes though my external dvd player is multi region which cost me £20, yeah I got them from the official websites.

Vlc bypasses Region codes though my external dvd player is multi region which cost me £20, yeah I got them from the official websites.

Might have to test VLC with a Region 1 DVD to see if it works with the internal DVD drive. If not, 5K Player or an external (multi region) DVD drive might be the way to go. Thanks again!

Might have to test VLC with a Region 1 DVD to see if it works with the internal DVD drive. If not, 5K Player or an external (multi region) DVD drive might be the way to go. Thanks again!

Trying to find vlc myself as had to delete and download it again though my security is blocking everything :))

Trying to find vlc myself as had to delete and download it again though my security is blocking everything :))

I think I had the same issue with VLC too, on my other (newer) Macbook. Don't think I had to do anything else than to download the program again. Might have been an issue with that specific version of VLC.

I think I had the same issue with VLC too, on my other (newer) Macbook. Don't think I had to do anything else than to download the program again. Might have been an issue with that specific version of VLC.

On one of the skins I chose vlc froze and I could not get access to any settings, I had a recent upgrade to Norton now it seems to be blocking every site :)) at work shortly will sort it tomorrow, I'll test some region 1 films on my internal drive then.
    edited October 2018 Posts: 23,327
    @Torgeirtrap if you do use 5K player it's aesthetically good, as there are no borders when in a smaller window form you just get the sharp image of what you are watching.

On one of the skins I chose vlc froze and I could not get access to any settings, I had a recent upgrade to Norton now it seems to be blocking every site :))
    That seems strange! I don't have Norton though, and don't know why it blocks certain sites, etc.
    at work shortly will sort it tomorrow, I'll test some region 1 films on my internal drive then.

Great! If VLC works fine, then the money used to buy an external DVD drive can be spent on buying DVD's instead! ;-)

On one of the skins I chose vlc froze and I could not get access to any settings, I had a recent upgrade to Norton now it seems to be blocking every site :))
    That seems strange! I don't have Norton though, and don't know why it blocks certain sites, etc.
    at work shortly will sort it tomorrow, I'll test some region 1 films on my internal drive then.

Great! If VLC works fine, then the money used to buy an external DVD drive can be spent on buying DVD's instead! ;-)

Norton blocks sites that have suspicious content, though it was blocking more sites than usual.

Norton blocks sites that have suspicious content, though it was blocking more sites than usual.

Yeah, anivirus softwares sometimes does that. A bit annoying if the software blocks sites you know are likely to be safe.
    Bullitt (1968) turns 50! Need to watch it again soon.
    https://www.warnerbros.com/blogs/2018/10/16/bullitt-turns-50

Yeah, anivirus softwares sometimes does that. A bit annoying if the software blocks sites you know are likely to be safe.

Norton has been one of the better antivirus suites I have had, had it several years now never had any issues though its very stringent.

Norton has been one of the better antivirus suites I have had, had it several years now never had any issues though its very stringent.

I've heard that Norton is a very good antivirus software. Might want to try it at some point. Better that it's very stringent than too little stringent though!
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    If you’re looking for a good antivirus then I highly recommend Bitdefender. It often tests better than Norton and I find it to be stringent enough without being intrusive.
    If you’re looking for a good antivirus then I highly recommend Bitdefender. It often tests better than Norton and I find it to be stringent enough without being intrusive.

Not heard of Bitdefender previously, it certainly has good reviews and is cheaper than most.

Cracking film I have it on dvd somewhere.

Never heard about Bitdefender before!

One of my all-time favourites. I usually watch it once each year, if not twice.

Awesome score and Steve Mcqueen is at his best. I love the opening titles pure class, and the car chase set the standard.

Awesome score and Steve Mcqueen is at his best. I love the opening titles pure class, and the car chase set the standard.

Plus Robert Vaughan is a marvellous slimy bad guy! The dialogue between him and McQueen is great! And let's not forget the gorgeous sexy Jackie Bisset! Classic thriller!
    Mathis1 wrote: »

Plus Robert Vaughan is a marvellous slimy bad guy! The dialogue between him and McQueen is great! And let's not forget the gorgeous sexy Jackie Bisset! Classic thriller!

Vaughn is at his best, Bisset is stunning though the film I always remember her first is CR67 in a very short scene jaw dropping.

Agree on all this! The jazzy score, McQueen in his most iconic role(?) – and his interaction with Robert Vaughan is worth the film a watch alone. Always thought Jacqueline Bisset could have been a good fit for a Bond girl in any Bond film in the 70's.

Agree on all this! The jazzy score, McQueen in his most iconic role(?) – and his interaction with Robert Vaughan is worth the film a watch alone. Always thought Jacqueline Bisset could have been a good fit for a Bond girl in any Bond film in the 70's.

Absolutely. It always amuses me in Bullitt, that in their bedroom scenes, Bisset appears to be naked, but McQueen is in full pyjamas (and pretty uncool ones at that!!)

Absolutely. It always amuses me in Bullitt, that in their bedroom scenes, Bisset appears to be naked, but McQueen is in full pyjamas (and pretty uncool ones at that!!)

Even though I watch the film every year, I have never once thought about this!
    Sept 1968 : Funny Girl world premiere

Oct 1968 : OHMSS starts filming in Swiss
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Vesper ... goddess of the evening, etc.
    I found this interesting ...
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    "West" as in West Berlin, maybe.

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I've been meaning to ask this. How do all of you pronounce "Quantum of Solace"?

I have been pronouncing the word as "So-lis" but I've only ever heard the word said as "Saw-lis". Am I crazy?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I've always pronounced it as "saw-lis," but it's funny that you're asking this now, I watched a show in the last week or two where I noticed it pronounced as "so-lis" and questioned whether I was wrong all these years.