• 009 & Zorin
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Final results for round 12:
    Corinne's death has only one vote more compared to 009's fate: 10 : 9
    Zorin shoots his mine workers beats Goldfinger gases the mafiosi: 12: 7
    edited December 2019 Posts: 4,401
    Round 13: QoS

99 % in the community miss the gunbarrel in the PTS and aren’t happy with its placement in the end. Let’s ignore the gunbarrel discussion for once and compare the first and the last (+/-)30 seconds of the movie. Both scenes are special. No other PTS starts that quick with an action scene and no other end scene (before QoS) showed Bond with M talking while no Bondgirl is ready to be undressed…
    The moving camera that approaches the tunnel, combined with close-ups of the cars and Bond, added with Arnold’s score vs.
    …the Vesper story arc comes to an end: The dialogue: "Congratulations, you were right. About what? About Vesper. Bond, we need you back. I never left." The Vesper theme. The necklace in the snow.

A) Which QoS part do you prefer: The first 30 seconds vs. the last 30 seconds

0.30 -1.00
    from 2.48

There is so much action here that the more quite and emotional scenes are almost forgotten sometimes. But that’s a pity because there are some very special moments here. Not only the dialogues with Mathis stand out for me, there are some great scenes with Bond and Camille, too. Combined with the score, not much talking is needed there to touch me:

B) Which QoS part do you prefer: water shortage (Bond and Camille are walking through the desert while the inhabitants try to get water from an empty tank) vs. make it count: (surrounded by fire, Camille prefers to be shot by Bond than be killed in the fire, Bond takes out the gun…)

from 3.30

3.40 – 4.50
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    1. I Never Left.
    2. Water shortage
  • peterpeter Toronto
    1/FIRST 30 seconds
    2/Make it count (I love that scene-- always have, always will)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Last 30 seconds.
    Water shortage.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Last 30 seconds.
    Make it count.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    peter wrote: »
    1/FIRST 30 seconds
    2/Make it count (I love that scene-- always have, always will)

Tough choices again, but I will go for these as well.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Oh boy my least favorite Bond movie. Well...

1. The last 30 seconds
    2. Make it count
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    Not a film I enjoy watching but the first 30 seconds and make it count thx.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    First 30 seconds. I'm not a fan of the car chase. I can appreciate now having seen the film dozens of times and knowing each smash cut what is actually happening, but it's all too much as a first time viewer. BUT... the first 30 seconds is the prelude right before the initial impact and that is all beautifully shot.

Water shortage. Again, good piece of cinematography here and I like the mirage effects with some great David Arnold music.
  • Damn this is a difficult one for me.

First 30. So memorable and I visited Lake Garda because of it. Last 30 is really great too.

Water shortage. It's become a burned image in my mind. Really great cinematography. That said I really, really like 'make it count.' Only reason why I didn't pick it is because I felt it lost a little of its value because it's similar to the shower scene in CR. I really liked how fleshed out Camille was as a character and it honestly made the climax for me. Camille is one of the best female companions because of it.
    JamesStock wrote: »
    Damn this is a difficult one for me.

First 30. So memorable and I visited Lake Garda because of it. Last 30 is really great too.
    Cool, I hope you drove through the tunnels?
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    The first 30 seconds is perfect. Well, almost perfect if it had been preceded by the gunbarrel. Still, I love how the music slowly ramps up the the tension until we get to the exhilirating car chase. The last 30 is very poignant and a fitting endcap to the Vesper storyline, but give me the beginning please.

Hmm, at first I thought I'd go with make it count, but upon further reflection I'm going with the Water Shortage. It's these little personal touches that make me love QoS. The TSWLM callback doesn't hurt either. I do understand people's criticisms of the film, but I still absolutely adore everything about QoS.
  • JamesStock wrote: »
    Damn this is a difficult one for me.

Cool, I hope you drove through the tunnels?
    Well, took a bus through them (not the best, but was my only option at the time). Also took a ferry across the lake as well which was well worth the money. Its between Riva del Garda and Limone Sul Garda.
    Great, thanks for the answer. Would definitely be worth a visit.
  • Agent_47Agent_47 Canada
    First 30 seconds. The slow build up of the music, the momentum of the camera and the rev of the engine. It's just exciting.

Water shortage. It's beautifully shot and a moment ripped straight from TSWLM but updated for 2008.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Last 30 seconds. (Love it.)
    Make it count. (Don't love either this or water shortage, frankly. Too heavy-handed.)
  • I'm failing to remember where in TSWLM that the QOS water footage shot borrows from?
    Bond and Anja walk through the desert after Jaws' car gave up its service. I think the score from Lawrence from Arabia is used there. It's a nice scene but not compairable (imo) because it is very short and not emotional.
  • Last 30 seconds & make it count. I'm honestly still surprised they allowed make it count to make it into the film, but I am glad it did! Really impactful scene.
    As you could read in my introduction for this round, I'm a fan of all 4 parts. My votes go to:
    First 30 seconds (perfect build up for an action scene)
    Water shortage (really love it, pictures and score are a wonderful combination, it touches me much more as it should)
    I've put this one off and don't want to spoil my voting record as voting is an important duty on these boards.

For the first choice, again very hard but the Final 30 seconds is my preference. With so many great teasers in the series, I wouldn't rank QoS necessarily near the top but it is rousing for sure. There are so many fewer great finales as most are Bond and the girl in an embrace with a cheesy line. That's a strength of the Craig era in breaking that repetitive cycle.

Water shortage just seems like a more meaningful passage and one that's kind of rare for the series. Burning hotel is low on my finale scale as there was never any doubt Bond would find a way out. That whole section seemed to be one of the sections affected most by the writer's strike in that it really didn't seem wholly fleshed out.

All are examples of why I value QoS as a whole and find it underrated in the series.
    I already missed your vote and your elaborated comments. Always a pleasure to read your opinion. @BT3366 .

This leads us to the final results of round 13:

First vs. last 30 seconds of QoS doesn't have a winner: 8 : 8
    Water shortage wins against "make it count": 9 : 7
    Round 14:
    As this round is during the Christmas time, I thought it would be better to have a “friendlier” poll without killings and murder. A movie we didn’t discuss in this thread so far is TLD. In this movie are two great scenes, where Bond decides to change his mission and NOT to kill.
    On the one hand, we have the scene out of Fleming’s short story, on the other hand we have Bond’s victim already kneeling and ready for execution…

A) Which scene do you prefer: Koskov’s defection (Bond lets Kara alive) vs. Bond doesn’t kill Pushkin in the hotel room

A TLD scene which puts always a smile on my face is the “salt corrosion” bit. It is obviously inspired by the scene from GF with Tilly’s Mustang . But which little scene is the better one? I realize that I have already used several scenes from GF in this poll. It isn’t one of my favourite Bond films but I can’t deny that there are a lot of strong and iconic scenes.

B) Which scene do you prefer (gadget, destroyed car and Bond’s comment): salt corrosion (TLD) vs. double blowout (GF)

Bonus Christmas question, (if you like to answer):
    Is OHMSS your favourite Bond movie for Christmas or is it another one? Which one?

I wish you a wonderful christmas time. Bond is great, this forum is great BUT don’t forget: Spending time with good friends and family is even more precious than our fascination for Bond. (Maybe you can even combine it😊)
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Very nice words @goldenswissroyale ... all the best to you and yours!

Once again you’ve come up with some interesting battles. My answers could change tomorrow, so, for tonight, I will go with:

Pushkin
    Double Blow Out
    OHMSS
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Pushkin because Dalton is more awesome than awesome in that scene.

Salt Corrosion

I don't have a favourite Christmas movie outside the horror genre. ;-)
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Koskov’s defection

Salt corrosion
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    Firstly thanks very much and a very happy Christmas @goldenswissroyale (and everyone else while I’m at it)

I do like TLD a lot, and again they are all worthy choices, but I’m going for defection and salt corrosion

As for Christmas Bond, for me it’s a guaranteed airing for Moonraker - is it Christmassy? Not in the least! Do I love watching it on the big day? You betcha, wouldn’t be Christmas without it! 😝☺️🎄