Weekly Bond Poll: Round 59: secondary Bond girls & helicopter flights

Comments

• M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Montage
    bobsleigh
    Definitely the barn scene. It's one of the few times Bond gets serious and it's one of the most romantic scenes in any film. When Tracy asks "Do you mean it?" it's tough to take given where it all leads.

The action scene is a harder call. I will go with bobsled because it's tense and a really good physical confrontation between the arch enemies. The DAF pre-titles action is too brief with Bond and Blofeld, so this one has so much more on the line.

However, the scene also has one of the biggest questions in the series that I don't think gets discussed enough: After Blofeld is hit by the tree branch, why is Bond puttering around worried about drinking brandy instead of getting to him. He just somehow escapes to haunt Bond once more. Was Bunt nearby with a getaway car or what?
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    You’re breaking my heart goldenswissroyale! Each of these OHMSS scenes are among the best (and most memorable) in the entire five decade plus history of 007 films. Having us choose among them is cruel and unusual punishment. But:

Barn Scene. The romantic equal of the “We Have All the Time In the World” montage with the added payoff of Bond’s marriage proposal (and Tracy’s tender “..do you mean it?” reply gets me every time I watch it). In fact, the dialogue during this entire scene is (IMO) top tier Bond writing. According to Charles Helfenstein’s “The Making of OHMSS”, Peter Hunt also used the 1934 movie “It Happened One Night” (with Clarke Gable and Claudette Colbert) as inspiration for this scene.

Avalanche Scene. In addition to Michael Reed’s stunning cinematography, the back in London shot of Lazenby’s “inner thoughts” on seeing Blofeld’s men dragging Tracy away, is – again – perfection. Without, saying anything, Bond’s thoughts say everything.

Personal observation: Diana Rigg elevates any scene that she is in and I love her :-).

As always: “Dear EON - can we please… pretty please, have limited 4K run of OHMSS for its’ 50th!?”
  • Do you know how hard it is to dissect your favourite Bond film? This is tough! Each scene in Majesty's works so well for that moment in the film it is in that it is hard to compare it. But I'll have to go with the Barn scene just based off the wonderful performances in that scene, and it is probably one of the most emotional scenes in the whole series. I'll probably lean slightly in favour of the Avalanche scene despite some dodgy back projection which doesn't hold up but I imagine it would 50 years ago. The frenetic energy in that scene with the absence of music really makes an impact. I need to rewatch this film now!
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    It wasn't the aim to break someone's hard with this round. Great to read that there is so much love for these scenes and the movie in general.
    To pick between these scenes isn't easy for me, either. But don't forget that the vote is maybe less important than to think about scenes in a new perspective and hopefully have a good time by doing so.

• Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    But don't forget that the vote is maybe less important than to think about scenes in a new perspective and hopefully have a good time by doing so.

That’s so true @goldenswissroyale thats why I really enjoy taking part in these fun threads, it’s a great way to celebrate, revisit and re-evaluate all the classic Bond moments! 👍
    Any last votes?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Any last votes?

Yes. I am voting move on.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Round 11: OHMSS

Isn't that the one with Bond on skis and the one where he gets married? Yes, it is… Let's start with "Bond & Tracy" scenes:

A) Which (romantic) Bond scene do you prefer? We have all the time in the world montage vs. barn scene (including the proposal)

OHMSS is very well known for Piz Gloria and Bond’s escape on skis at night-time. As we fans all know, there are some other exciting (and surprisingly intense) snow scenes:

B) Which scene do you prefer: avalanche scene vs. bobsleigh action

from 1.11

from 2.25

My favorite Bond movie.

I choose:

Barn scene, for the proposal. I find the montage a bit cheesy, despite the song.

Avalanche scene. Pure Fleming. And "he had lots of guts!"
    edited December 2019 Posts: 4,398
    Great to see some new members participating and a worthy number 1 @echo .

And I choose the barn scene and the avalanche scene, too.

I love all four scenes. I'm happy that bond films usually don't have montage scenes, but it works nice here. The song is nice, too. Anyway, the barn scene is it for me: it is a very special scene (proposal, emotional, funny) and it is even more special for me because I could visit the barn two years ago.

I first thought that my vote would go to the bobsleigh scene. I love the fast and "wild" editing/camera work and it is very exciting. The idea that he falls out and catches Blofeld's bob later is cool stuff. However, the avalanche scene is also fantastic stuff: very intense! The scene didn't stick in my mind the same way as the other action scenes but it isn't weaker at all.
    Results of round 11:
    Barn scene beats the montage 10 : 5
    Avalanche scene wins against the bobsleigh action 8 : 6
    Round 12:

There are some intense death scenes in Bond movies. Some of them are without an appearance of James Bond. Two great scenes (imo) are part of Bond movies with a lighter tone for most of the running time: The victim is hunted through the forest in both cases.

A) Which assassination scene do you prefer? Corinne is hunted and killed (MR) vs. 009 is hunted, injured and finally dies

Some megalomaniac main villains didn’t shy away from mass murder.

B) Which scene do you prefer: Goldfinger gases the mafiosi vs. Zorin shoots his mine workers

Are these scenes strong because they show how cold-blooded and crazy the villains are? Or is it too brutal (AVTAK)? Is it a classic scene or illogical (GF)?

If you want to compare the scenes from question A) once more:

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Corinne and Goldfinger
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Corinne’s death is so spectacularly shot and since we know her character, there’s a sense of tragedy to her death giving this scene just a little more value— although I love 009’s murder as well.

GF— iconic.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    A. 009. But was not easy.
    B. Zorin
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited December 2019 Posts: 2,721
    Corrine's Death - 009's death is excellent for an opening to the story but Corrine's death is beautifully shot and scored - like an Argento film. It's brutal without being graphic and the end as it rises up to the trees saving us from the horror of Corrine's mauling while the bell tolls for her and segues perfectly into the next scene. This sequence along with the fight on the Kobe docks in YOLT is why I always have a soft spot for Lewis Gilbert.

Goldfinger - 'hey, what's up with that trick pool table?!' Despite some awful dialogue and performances from the gangsters, this is all Gert Frobe. Because his dialogue on the other hand is delivered with gusto...'except crime!' monolgue is memorable.
    Corrine's Death - 009's death is excellent for an opening to the story but Corrine's death is beautifully shot and scored - like an Argento film. It's brutal without being graphic and the end as it rises up to the trees saving us from the horror of Corrine's mauling while the bell tolls for her and segues perfectly into the next scene. This sequence along with the fight on the Kobe docks in YOLT is why I always have a soft spot for Lewis Gilbert.
    I couldn't say it better.

Goldfinger - 'hey, what's up with that trick pool table?!' Despite some awful dialogue and performances from the gangsters, this is all Gert Frobe. Because his dialogue on the other hand is delivered with gusto...'except crime!' monolgue is memorable.

His monolgue is great, no doubt. But this part doesn't really count here. I only mean the "gas" scene.
  • Agent_47Agent_47 Canada
    and
    Zorin
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    An OP fan can't go past the OO9 scene. Even though Corrine's death in MR chased by the dogs is haunting and memorable, the clown running through the forest as the knife wielding twins pursue him stands out for me. The desperation to flee his attackers in the eerie setting is one of the many highlights of OP for me. I also like that the clown costume that OO9 has, is used by Bond himself later in the movie.

The second match up I have to go with Zorin, gunning down his mine workers.
    Goldfingers speech to the 'hoods convention featuring Mr. Solo' is truly a great scene. Gert Frobe completely owns the scene. It's great to see his plan explained with such passion and vigour. But why explain it all, to then murder the hoods involved. Obviously he cant have any lose ends or witnesses too his plan. But why tell them? It's a great scene, but a little weird.
    Zorin on the other hand is completely brutal. A real madman, who has no regard for others lives. He gleefully mows down his loyal employee's, laughing as he does so.
    The fact that he murders them, even though they would all die in the resulting explosion that would occur minutes later, makes him even more evil. He literally enjoys killing people and takes real delight in doing so.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Corinne and Goldfinger

Seconded
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Birdleson wrote: »
    That first one is so tough, two of my favorite scenes from the Moore Era. I'll go with OP.
    I'll take ether GF scene, no question.

I am with the boss.
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    Wow pretty impossible to choose between the first two, but despite my love of all things MR, I think I might go for OP - the clown costume adds that touch of the macabre, and also coming so early in the film makes it extra memorable.

I love all the Goldfinger explanation of the dastardly plan, but the gassing itself is a bit daft, whereas the Zorin incident is a brutal and shocking display of his sociopathic traits, so AVTAK it is.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited December 2019 Posts: 6,733
    I choose Octopussy over Moonraker, because as Max accurately points out, "the clown costume adds that touch of the macabre". Also, I love the surprise of the man with the knife being two men with knives. The scene, already great by itself, proves to be even more useful when it's referenced later on, while Bond is being pursued by Grischka after they fall off the train, and when Bond himself dresses as a clown. We know what happened to 009, and now 007 runs the risk of suffering the same fate. The scene in Moonraker is still terrific, though.

I prefer AVTAK to Goldfinger. The slaughtering of Zorin's men is a more powerful moment, not just because of the violence, but also because of Zorin's sadistic enjoyment of the situation --which is explicitly shown, unlike in Goldfinger-- and because the miners, while not necessarily innocent, come across as utterly helpless and one feels sorry for them, while in Goldfinger, the hoodlums come across as fairly unlikable --brash, a little dumb-- and so their death doesn't have the same impact. The scene in AVTAK increases the stakes, dramatically speaking --Zorin is an absolute menace, and we want Bond to stop him--, more than the scene in Goldfinger, which constitutes an enjoyable little twist, but is not a truly outstanding moment from the film.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    I'm sorry to have missed the previous round. This first matchup is dastardly clever. I'm loving how our host keeps coming up with these and I'll take the Corinne scene. I love the flow of Gilbert's direction mixed with Barry's amazing music. It's tense and tragic and elegant all at the same time. Then the funeral bells. I do like the 009 scene, but I don't feel the same sense of shock or sadness from his death.

The second matchup is easy and it's got to be Zorin gunning down his men. Although GF is superior overall to AVTAK, the gas scene is one of the worst parts of the movie. The hood's convention aspect is extremely grating and it makes absolutely no sense why he would explain the plan beforehand. I mean, it's because of his ego, yes, the downfall of many a Bond villain, but still. Zorin's brutality perfectly captures his psychosis. It's just a great moment that Walken sells beautifully.
    The first matchup is one that makes this thread so infuriating but fun at the same time.

I love OP and that scene stands out. It is one of the best follow-up scenes to follow to credits in the series and gets it off on a rousing and mysterious note.

But the Corinne death scene is jolting as she's just a girl who made a mistake and makes Bond more of a cad as he led to her death, whereas 009 is, to borrow a line from Dr. Kauffman, a professional doing a job and makes Corinne's all the more tragic. It's one of Barry's most underappreciated pieces. I like the album version as it doesn't cut off and ends on an ominous repeated four-note tone.

The gangster scene is one of the things that make GF hard for me to take as one of the very best films. The goofy accents that make the gangsters seem like they wandered in off the third season of The Man from UNCLE, which had one of its worst episodes, The Super Colossal Affair, about similar mob types. These are bad guys, so it's not so hard to feel bad about their getting offed and as others have mentioned leads to more questions because of it, Frobe's performance aside.

Zorin's men are doing their legitimate jobs. Bob Conley even says "Mr. Zorin, those men are loyal to you." Capping it with Zorin's line of "Good, right on schedule" makes him seem even more psychotic. It's a hard to watch, but standout scene in a pretty Bond film and illustrates why the tone is all over the place.

My picks are Corinne's death and AVTAK mine scene
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 565
    Corrine's Death and Zorin for me.

I absolutely love both scenes from the first batch. MR gets it because because we as the audience have gotten to know Corrine and have a reason to care. Plus the way it was shot and the music are beautiful and haunting.

The OP scene is great because it sets up the finale well (similar to the fun house in TMWTGG), not to mention it's memorable. But, we have no investment in 009 so the death doesn't feel as meaningful when it happens.

As others have said, the gangsters scene in GF is a bit grating to me mostly due to the dialogue and hammy acting. I love the when GF announces his plans, but I am not considering it as part of my vote.

Lastly the Zorin kills is just a great moment. If you weren't sure he was crazy before then, this is the moment that confirms it. Walken plays is so well too. Interestingly enough, Goldfinger also shoots his own, but in that case it's out of survival and perhaps not as interesting.
    Good observation @JamesStock , I forgot about Goldfinger shooting his own men in the end.

So many great comments and explanations for your votes. It's a real joy to read your thoughts.

I join the last three voters: Corinne's death and Zorin.
    Both scenes are by far the most brutal scenes of the two movies. I couldn't explain it better than several voters did before me.
    I just want to add that the bells are a perfect way to link the two scenes (Corinne's death and Venice). It is maybe my most beloved transition (between two scenes) in Bond history (it definitely has a strong impact).

The death of 009 would also make it in my list of the top 100 bond scenes. There aren't many Bond films with a stronger scene after the titles. (Maybe we should start one day an elimination game about the first scenes after the titles (post-title sequence?)...
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    edited December 2019 Posts: 3,347
    Corinne over 009 slightly. Great comparison and battle here in two of the moodiest shot and eerie scenes in Bond.

If it included the monologues I'd put Goldfinger, but as it is just the gas vs. shooting I'll go with Zorin in AVTAK. The gassing doesn't make much sense within the story. The shooting doesn't serve a purpose, but it does elevate Zorin's character showing just how brutally psychotic he is.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    009 and mine workers.
    Corinne's death is a very dark intermezzo in what can otherwise be seen as a very lightweight 007 movie that does pour a lot of darkness on the movie-screen without you being actually rubbed into with your face. It undoubtedly one of the darker moments of the franchise and it happened on Rogers' watch, it is clearly a testament to directing skills of Lewis Gilbert

The goldfinger scene is Iconic and a first.