Weekly Bond Poll: Round 59: secondary Bond girls & helicopter flights

Comments

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Bond confronting Pushkin is one of my favourite moments in the entire series. Splendid stuff. Dalton and Rhys Davies are brilliant. It's nice to see Bond going through the act of being a cold blooded assassin.
    As to the salt corrosion over double blowout, well neither rank very highly, however the double blowout does carry the story forward. I do like Connery's, "A double blowout, I've never seen one of these before."
    So I'll go,

Pushkin

&

Double blowout
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Love the Pushkin scene but Koskov's defection is my very favourite scene in the franchise's history.

Salt corrosion, easy win.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Easy, Defection and Blow Out.

What he said, and as for the bonus question? OHMSS is the best regardless of season.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Pushkin
    Salt Corrosion
    OHMSS
    The TLD competition presents yet another tough choice as both are welcome suspense scenes that were fewer during the Moore years, both classic examples of Fleming's influence.

My choice is the Pushkin scene as it presents a Bond we hadn't really seen since Connery executed Prof. Dent in Dr. No. It shows Bond is a cold assassin when necessary even when it's somebody he knows as well as having to make a tough decision that could jeopardize an entire mission, no pithy remarks necessary.

The second set of contestants isn't as compelling. I've never liked Bond using lasers in watches or cars, there's just something too convenient about it. However, the GF scene makes no sense in that Bond wrecks a young woman's car that could've potentially killed her because he wants to pick her up. It also feels Maibaum and Dehn may have added that done just as an excuse to show off the wheel scythes. It's a toss-up, really.

I was leaning toward GF but in this case I choose salt corrosion. When I saw that scene in the cinema on my first viewing I had to ask my friend what Dalton said as the audience was laughing and I missed it.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Koskov’s defection. The heavy respons on Bond from Saunders is so much more fun then cia agent (who turn out to be Felix), on Pushkin fake death.

Salt corrosion.
    M_Balje wrote: »
    Koskov’s defection. The heavy respons on Bond from Saunders is so much more fun then cia agent (who turn out to be Felix), on Pushkin fake death.

I'm not sure why you are looking at these choices under those terms. Bond doesn't meet with Felix until long after the confrontation, so that doesn't really count here; at least I'm taking it as just the scene in Pushkin's room. Yeah, Saunders was there with Bond when he was poised to assassinate the sniper but it wasn't like Felix was there with Bond in Pushkin's room.

Also, I forgot to answer the bonus question: OHMSS is my favorite Christmas movie. Die Hard is second and Christmas Vacation and A Charlie Brown Christmas following.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    edited December 2019 Posts: 4,422
    Puskin scene
    One of my favourite scenes of the entire series. Tense moments, as Bond must choose whether to follow orders or his instinct. Dalton really hit it out if the park with this scene.

Double blowout
    Mainly for Tilly cutting out of Connery's "Bond. James Bond"

I'm fond of watching Majesty's for sure, over Christmas, but I do pop in Thunderball on Christmas Day on occasion. Watching Bond pursue his love of water sports in sunny Nassau, is the perfect antidote to a cold, grey and often rainy, England.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited December 2019 Posts: 2,721
    This is a difficult one...two of my favourite scenes of the series. There is no right or wrong answer for me...

Pushkin scene is the one I'll go for today. Dalton is magnificent in this scene - the dangerous side of his interpretation leaps off the screen here. The way Dalton spits lines like 'now why should I disobey my orders?' Or 'if I believed koskov we wouldn't be talking' is what I love to see in my Bond. He means business. And also Rhys-Davies is up for the challenge. he's there alongside his fellow Welshman giving Dalton plenty to play with.

Don't get me wrong, I could wax lyrical about the defection scene too (the close ups on Dalton's eyes in the sniper scene, his deadly serious demeanour, Saunders chiding 007, the music, Bond tooling up with the enormous rifle)

I'll probably go for double blow out. Seeing the DB5 deliver its first tricks is great. Connery is fun, even though that line is ridiculous seeing as Tilly's car is torn to shreds.

My Christmas Bond movie is The Living Daylights. December 1987 is when I got my first Bond presents (Sally Hibbin's Official James Bond 007 book, Roland shaw's music of bond on tape) and then I finally saw TLD at the cinema on New Year's day. It was fantastic and I watch TLD around this time most years.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Some great comments once again. I especially like your argumentation @Major_Boothroyd . You bring up very good points and it shows that you are a TLD connoisseur. This is indeed another cool choice for christmas.
    And @BT3366 brings up another classic I should watch again: Die Hard!
    Some great comments once again. I especially like your argumentation @Major_Boothroyd . You bring up very good points and it shows that you are a TLD connoisseur. This is indeed another cool choice for christmas.
    And @BT3366 brings up another classic I should watch again: Die Hard!
    Had my viewing of Die Hard with the wife last night. Amazingly, it was her who suggested it.
    Sounds perfect. No wonder you married her. ;)
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    edited December 2019 Posts: 7,314
    The first one is challenging. Love the defection scene (especially the banter between Bond and Saunders) but my vote goes to Pushkin this time around. It's one of my all time favorites in the entire franchise. If I had to pick one scene to define Dalton's Bond, this would be it.

While Dalton was great in the dramatic scenes, he really struggled with the one liners, which is why I'm voting for double blowout. The salt corrosion bit is amusing enough, but Connery could sell that type of humor much better than Dalton. Connery could do it all in his first four appearances, while every other Bond actor had a weakness of some sort. Love them all though.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Pushkin. This scene ranks as among the most memorable in the history of the franchise. Dalton really sells it – and reminds us that Bond is both equal parts ruthless and professional.

Double Blow Out. Close since I love them both.

OHMSS has become my go to “Christmas” Bond movie in recent years. Outside of Bond, I’ve been known to go with “It’s A Wonderful Life” or “Santa Claus Conquers The Martians” – as clearly my taste in movies is all over the place.
    @Dwayne I had to google Santa Claus conquers the martians...IMDB score is very low. Is this a movie so bad that it is good again? Or a movie from the childhood with a special place in your movie heart?
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    @Goldenswissroyale. “Santa Claus Conquers the Martians” is definitely in the “Its’ so bad its good” group. It has a nice theme song, however.
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 565
    While Koskov's defection was good and entertaining, I really liked the Pushkin hotel room scene. Dalton's Bond really shines here.

As far as the Aston gadget, double blowout only because the laser more unrealistic. I liked the one-liner better though...

• Agent_47Agent_47 Canada
    Pushkin
    and
    Salt corrosion
    Agent_47 wrote: »
    Pushkin
    and
    Salt corrosion

Same here. I'm with the majority this time.
    Why the Puskin scene? @Major_Boothroyd explained it better than I ever could.
    Why salt corrosion? SC could obviously deliver the line as good as Dalton does. It is simply a hilarious line.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited December 2019 Posts: 2,721
    Agent_47 wrote: »
    Pushkin
    and
    Salt corrosion

Same here. I'm with the majority this time.
    Why the Puskin scene? @Major_Boothroyd explained it better than I ever could.
    Why salt corrosion? SC could obviously deliver the line as good as Dalton does. It is simply a hilarious line.

Thanks for the kind words @goldenswissroyale ! TLD was my gateway Bond film and I've possibly rewatched it more than any other 007. Love Dalton's interpretation of Bond, and he's never better than in TLD.
    Results for round 14:
    Pushkin scene wins against Koskov's defection: 12 : 6
    Second one is a tie: Salt corrosion (TLD) vs. Double blow out (GF): 9 : 9
    edited December 2019 Posts: 4,401
    Round 15: FRWL

The train fight! Kerim! The villains! Connery’s performance! What a fantastic movie!
    FRWL also features the first appearance of Llewelyn presenting the briefcase. This gadget is no doubt very cool (and some fans would say this is the best Bond gadget of them all). However, the villains in FRWL are equipped with nice gadgets, too…

A) Which deadly gadget of the FRWL villains do you prefer: garrotte watch vs. poison tipped shoe knife

The Moneypenny scenes from FRWL are probably my favourites of the series.

B) Which FRWL Moneypenny scene do you prefer: Reviewing an old case (Bond and Moneypenny) (1.44-2.58/-3.56) vs. lektor/love talk (Moneypenny is listening) (3.56-5.03)

For the second question, I wanted to compare the Moneypenny scene from FRWL with the one from TND. They are surprisingly similar and the final comments from Moneypenny and M are hilarious imo (Don’t ask…Don’t tell; 26-40-28.25). As I believe that the TND scene has no chance against the FRWL scene, I decided to change it to the other duel (please comment, if you think I’m wrong)

• Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    edited December 2019 Posts: 2,426
    The shoe - as cool as the watch is, we’ve seen the watch adapted many times since in the series, but the shoe remains memorable and completely unexpected on first watching. Of course having Rosa Klebb wearing the shoe helps immensely as well!

And love talk - it’s great to see Moneypenny in a slightly different setting to the usual ‘behind her desk’ routine, and she pulls some great and knowing expressions - it provides the relationship between M and Moneypenny with some lovely moments, when often it’s the relationship between Bond/M and Bond/Moneypenny that gets the screen time.
    Garotte clock and love talk.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Watch and Lektor!
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Shoe and Reviewing an old case.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Watch
    Lektor talk
    A cool bit of trivia for the first case: both the garrote watch and the knife shoe would get cameos in other bond films (OHMSS and DAD). That could be a fun but frivolous future poll question.

I think I prefer the poison-tipped knife shoes. Not only are they important to SPECTRE executions, they were one of the most impressionable things from FRWL when I was a young kid. I didn't really understand the poison part, just freaked out that being kicked with a knife could kill you. As Max the Parrot mentioned above, gadget watches are standard in the series and other spy shows and I never felt Grant needed that to kill somebody, he could just do it with his bare hands.

For the second, no question the Lektor/love talk. It's a classic scene that shows why the series was so fresh back then as it presented humor seamlessly along with the action and suspense without going into comedy as the series would later descend to; although I think Moore could've pulled off a classic scene in that vein. It's classic Connery Bond doing his job and having a go at his boss in a good-natured way along with Moneypenny being Moneypenny.

It also brings up another trivia tidbit: Bond mentions being in Tokyo with M and later in YOLT Tiger mentions Bond has never been to Japan before, which he confirms. So in which instance was Bond bluffing?
    BT3366 wrote: »
    It also brings up another trivia tidbit: Bond mentions being in Tokyo with M and later in YOLT Tiger mentions Bond has never been to Japan before, which he confirms. So in which instance was Bond bluffing?

His trip with M to Tokyo may have been top secret.
    BT3366 wrote: »

His trip with M to Tokyo may have been top secret.

I should have said Henderson, not Tiger.