Marvel Cinematic Universe (2008 - present)

Comments

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Awesome and all, but... where is it still playing in a theater when it's out on home media?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Because people still want to see it on the big screen. Many films do this...hell spectre was still in theatres until April 2016 but was already out on DVD 2 months earlier; in February.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 11,139
    .....and DONE!

Another historical moment!

giphy.gif

$700M!!!

CWYG3So.png

5L2fHzt.gif

tenor.gif
  • RC7RC7
    edited August 2018 Posts: 10,512
    That must be one of very few big films, if any, where the domestic total is higher than the international. Is it oversimplifying it to suggest it was a genuine phenomenon amongst the African-American community and a lot of that $700m was multiple viewings?

EDIT: I don’t mean this in a negative way whatsoever, its success is a really positive thing.
    It was indeed a genuine phenomenon especially within the global black community but also for many people in general. Multiple viewings definitely got it to that number as is the case for any film that crosses the $Billion Mark but this is definitely an unprecedented achievement. Personally I felt the film could and should have been better but my hats off to all those involved and I'm confident the sequel in terms if quality and creativity will be better. Still, what this movie has done is remarkable, destroying numerous false perceptions about black talent etc. Cooler' s a freaking hero!
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I enjoyed the film immensely myself.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I thought it was alright but didn't think it was brilliant. It evidently was a phenomenon of sorts, and I'm glad it succeeded as it did. This has put to rest a lot of preconceptions and prejudices, and hopefully will enable more investment and original high profile roles for black (and other ethnicity) actors in Hollywood.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    edited August 2018 Posts: 1,257
    I saw Infinity War one last time before it completely disappears from theaters. I seem to enjoy it more and more each time I see it. It's amazing how a film with so many characters and moving parts could turn out so well. The Russo brothers did the same with Civil War so it shouldn't be a surprise.

I still didn't really like the final battle in Wakanda though. I think a different setting would have helped. My biggest disappointment, however, is in the way Cap was used in the film. He did nothing to stand out. I was hoping for so much more from him.

Either way, it's definitely a day one BluRay purchase for me.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Awesome and all, but... where is it still playing in a theater when it's out on home media?

There are still a lot of smaller chain theaters in the U.S. that play last minute, on their way out films. I remember seeing QoS for $1.50 roughly two weeks before it released on home video.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 616
    BLACK PANTHER is somewhat overrated but also a very well written, directed and (especially) acted film with exciting action scenes and a confident and charming lead in Chadwick Boseman. I thought it was a winner.

INFINITY WAR ... oof. Let's just say I don't get the appeal of it at all, and I suspect I won't be watching it again.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Escalus5 wrote: »
    INFINITY WAR ... oof. Let's just say I don't get the appeal of it at all, and I suspect I won't be watching it again.
    You may change your tune after part II. Just sayin'. ;)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Samuel L Jackson and Cobbie Smulders officially join the cast of Spider-Man: Far From Home.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2018 Posts: 15,690
    The Venom film with Tom Hardy to be rated 'PG-13', and not rated 'R' as rumoured.
    Which is not surprising, after Hardy stated he wanted to make a film his kid could watch.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I thought it was alright but didn't think it was brilliant. It evidently was a phenomenon of sorts, and I'm glad it succeeded as it did. This has put to rest a lot of preconceptions and prejudices, and hopefully will enable more investment and original high profile roles for black (and other ethnicity) actors in Hollywood.
    Same here. I thought it was alright, nothing special with regards to action or storytelling. It’s not a movie I feel compelled to see again and again after my first cinema outing. I think there are a certain selection of movies that get a great early buzz, making it the must-see movie of the moment that draws a big crowd that wouldn’t necessarily go see it to begin with. These inquisitive souls then trundle down to their local multiplexes to see what all the fuss is about. It’ll be interesting to see whether Black Panther 2 repeats the same fervour.
    EDIT: Seems to be fan-made.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited August 2018 Posts: 23,376
    Deleted
    Deleted
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 5,811
    https://cbr.com/brie-larson-captain-marvel-suit-art/

Captain-Marvel-Super-Herois-Cover.jpg?q=35&w=500&h=680&fit=crop

One word : Wow ! Even if it's only art created for that cover, just wow !
    The costume is on point!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Has Captain Marvel been recast lol
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Gerard wrote: »
    https://cbr.com/brie-larson-captain-marvel-suit-art/

Captain-Marvel-Super-Herois-Cover.jpg?q=35&w=500&h=680&fit=crop

One word : Wow ! Even if it's only art created for that cover, just wow !

Damn, Zachary Levi's really getting into this role.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 4,422
    I'm perplexed over Ant-Man and the Wasp's rather anaemic showing, so far. Box office wise, it's taken only $466.9 worldwide, with $209 domestic and $257 foreign. *Stats from box office mojo.

Ranking it as the 17/20 of the MCU films so far.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=avengers.htm

After Infinity War, I would have thought that audiences were craving answers. Obliviously not. Or maybe cinema goers haven't quite gotten over the mass culling of superheroes from that picture.

Ant-Man has a rather odd placement in the MCU. The first Ant-Man was sandwiched between Ultron and Civil War, two team up movies, which gave the impression it was a mere after thought, or at least a distraction from the Avengers drama. And AatW was left to sweep up after Infinity War.

Perhaps the release dates had something to do with it - in Britain AatW came out near on a month after it debuted in America. Was it like that in the rest of Europe? Maybe Marvel/Disney should have held it back for a couple of months? Hmm.

As to the film itself, I enjoyed it. After the relativity dour ending to Infinity War, I found AatW to be a nice palette cleanser, relying on the charm of its lead cast. Yet the humour was a tad too forced. It was definitely a holding pattern until Captain Marvel and Avengers 4.

Some say AatW was a flop. I wouldn't go that far, but after the recent success of the MCU, does this jeopardize Ant-Man 3, where anything not reaching $600 domestic total is regraded as a "flop"?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Both Ant-Man movies are better than any other Marvel movies these past years.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 5,811
    In France, the movie opened on july 18th, and right now, it's 16th, at 1 695 495 seats sold.

jpbox-office.com/charts_france.php?filtre=datefr&variable=2018
    Thanks @Gerard
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited August 2018 Posts: 45,489
    In Norway, Ant-Man and the Wasp is fourth after Mission Impossible: Fallout, Mamma Mia 2 and Hotel Transylvania 3.

(preliminary weekend boxoffice as of now)
    Worldwide its 10 in 2018. I see Norwegians share a similar taste to you @Thunderfinger
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 301
    Samuel L Jackson and Cobbie Smulders officially join the cast of Spider-Man: Far From Home.

Nice. I like Maria Hill and Nick Fury :)