The Last Movie You Bought?

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, can't recall if you're a fan, but it looks like the original Halloween has just been announced for an October 2nd release here in the U.S. Perfect timing before Halloween.

Great stuff Carpenter's Original film is a classic, I like the majority of his films, certainly his work from the 70's and 80's.

Agreed, he was on fire then. I'm eager to see what he produces in the soundtrack department for this new installment of Halloween, too. I'm hoping he's still got that magic.

Carpenter's music was simple but very affective, in my youth I had a compilation tape with most of his themes on from his films, The Thing is one of my favourite films, the music for that is superb I know he had a clear vision for that score that Morricone did for him. Even if Carpenter does not do the score for the new Halloween film himself I am sure he will work close with whoever does.

Edited: Just looked on Imdb it says original score by John Carpenter, wow did not realise he was doing the score.
    91WrTCBcHEL._SX342_.jpg
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Escape Plan, from google movies at £2.99 for the HD copy, it's cheaper than
    renting it :D
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Found a good deal on the first three Mission: Impossible films on 4K so I had to pick them up; Ghost Protocol and Rogue Nation 4K's will be inevitable at this point. Cannot wait to see how that Burj Khalifa scene from GP looks.
    Google play movies has the box set of all five MI films in HD for only £14.99

That's a great deal for the blu-ray versions. $3 a pop is a steal. I sometimes hate shelling out so much to upscale movies to 4K, but I can't help it with most of my favorites that I know are more than worth the purchase.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Found a good deal on the first three Mission: Impossible films on 4K so I had to pick them up; Ghost Protocol and Rogue Nation 4K's will be inevitable at this point. Cannot wait to see how that Burj Khalifa scene from GP looks.

I have been looking at the 4K boxset closely, the price is quite high in UK at moment I am waiting for a reasonably priced set to appear on ebay.

I have been looking at the 4K boxset closely, the price is quite high in UK at moment I am waiting for a reasonably priced set to appear on ebay.

Yeah I saw the UK boxset going for about $106, didn't want to shell out $20 plus per film just for an upgrade. I also like to sell off the digital copies to make the price I pay balance out even further.
  • edited July 2018 Posts: 17,241

I've never tried Google Play movies before. Is it similar to iTunes Movies?
    Yes, it gives you access to a digital hd copy of the movie to watch on many different devices ot TV.
    Yes, it gives you access to a digital hd copy of the movie to watch on many different devices ot TV.

Easy to use as well? I did a quick search and found a couple titles on Google Play movies I've been thinking about getting, that's cheaper than on iTunes.

Yeah I saw the UK boxset going for about $106, didn't want to shell out $20 plus per film just for an upgrade. I also like to sell off the digital copies to make the price I pay balance out even further.

That's something I need to start doing, I tend to redeem all digital copies though noticed people sell them on ebay as well as the Bluray disks from 4K boxes. I have several copies of many films I own I really should recoup some money. I did see a sealed Brand new Mission: Impossible 4K boxset for around £50 though the sellers credentials were not great, I have been stung a few times on ebay so ultra cautious with purchases.
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, I use bluray.com and sell literally every digital copy I get. It's nice because if I get a day one 4K for, say, $20-25, I'm usually able to sell the code for $7-10. I never use digital copies anymore, so getting a brand new 4K for $13-15 isn't bad to me at all. It seems people try to sell them much higher on eBay than I've seen on those bluray.com forums, but I'm not sure if they're lucky enough to actually sell them.
    edited July 2018 Posts: 23,105
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, I use bluray.com and sell literally every digital copy I get. It's nice because if I get a day one 4K for, say, $20-25, I'm usually able to sell the code for $7-10. I never use digital copies anymore, so getting a brand new 4K for $13-15 isn't bad to me at all. It seems people try to sell them much higher on eBay than I've seen on those bluray.com forums, but I'm not sure if they're lucky enough to actually sell them.

Interesting I'll have to see if there is a similar UK buyer/seller, it's a myth everything will go digital as Disk quality will continue to exceed streamed films. Even more so with 4K and once you are in that bracket having the best quality is paramount. I have about a dozen 4K digital films from Amazon Prime maybe more, though I strictly only buy the Disks now.
    edited July 2018 Posts: 40,372
    If there's still a market for physical purchases, then all-digital won't ever be the sole option as far as I'm concerned. Some of us prefer to own items that way; physical media definitely seems to be dying down in a lot of stores and retailers here in the States, but it's still always an option with places like Amazon at least. My ISP options here in West Virginia are simply way too sluggish and poor to even dream of the idea of going all digital/streaming only.

Most digital copies are a one use item anyway, so I fear of amassing a large digital collection, simply to have my account hacked or wrecked entirely somehow, losing everything.
  • edited July 2018 Posts: 6,844
    I would never go digital over physical for those very reasons you’ve mentioned, @Creasy47. It’s nice having your items there on the shelf, for display and for preservation purposes, and I’ve had too many issues with slow or glitchy streaming in the past. DVD, Blu-ray or some better format of physical for me, now and forever.
    I would never go digital over physical for those very reasons you’ve mentioned, @Creasy47. It’s nice having your items there on the shelf, for display and for preservation purposes, and I’ve had too many issues with slow or glitchy streaming in the past. DVD, Blu-ray or some better format of physical for me, now and forever.

Agreed. The Internet speeds here would never make it viable, and even still, I feel like streaming or buffering a 4K title still isn't going to give you the consistent quality that a physical 4K disc will.
    My movie room is jam-packed with physical media I always view my boxsets as ornaments, where I am I get excellent 4K streaming though it's still not as good as Disk. I do download alot of movies to my PC and Tablets so I still buy HD films to stream though I look for bargains in sales. I have 14 Bond movies on my tablet so far so I'll keep buying them, it's handy I can watch the films at work.
    My movie room is jam-packed with physical media I always view my boxsets as ornaments, where I am I get excellent 4K streaming though it's still not as good as Disk. I do download alot of movies to my PC and Tablets so I still buy HD films to stream though I look for bargains in sales. I have 14 Bond movies on my tablet so far so I'll keep buying them, it's handy I can watch the films at work.

I'm sure by the time you finally get all of them digitally on your tablet, it'll be time to re-purchase again as they'll be made available in 4K. That's always how it goes!
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Just got Ready Player One on Blu-Ray, DVD, and digital with a bonus keychain Rubik’s Cube for $30 at Walmart.

I'm sure by the time you finally get all of them digitally on your tablet, it'll be time to re-purchase again as they'll be made available in 4K. That's always how it goes!

You are probably not wrong I bought the 50Bond Bluray Boxset back in 2012 so I have got some good use from that over the years, I'll be happy to buy the 4K set though I suspect it wIll be quite expensive.
    Just got Ready Player One on Blu-Ray, DVD, and digital with a bonus keychain Rubik’s Cube for $30 at Walmart.

I have yet to see Ready Player One debating whether to rent or buy it
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.

It’s quickly becoming one of my favorite movies. Easily top 5, if not number 1.

It’s quickly becoming one of my favorite movies. Easily top 5, if not number 1.

I am a big fan of Spielberg certainly 70s and 80's films he did, I'll hold on for the Bluray release its available on HD stream Download now though not on Disk yet (6th August), in the UK we tend to be a few weeks behind than USA with releases.
    DOS-BD-Combo-2D.jpeg
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    All from the Arrow Video sale (on till 6th August!)
    Mark of the Devil (1970) dir. Michael Armstrong - dual format.
    Cemetery Without Crosses (1969) dir. Robert Hossein - dual format.
    All Ladies Do It (1997) dir. Tinto Brass - DVD

Three that I'm looking forward to viewing, not seen any of these before. MotD because it was heavily cut originally for excessive violence; CWC because I like a good (Italian) Western now and then! and ALDI because I previously bought Frivolous Lola by Tinto Brass and really enjoyed it. And the DVDs are only £4 in the sale! What's not to like?!
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    I literally went ape with 2 of my most recent DVD purchases:

1659766h.jpg

and

61EVR2olQhL.jpg

Bond connections in at least 4 of them:

Bruce Cabot(DAF's Burt Saxby) in the 1933 Kong.

John Barry composed the score for the 1976 Kong.

Mie Hama(YOLT's Kissy) in Escapes

Both YOLT leading ladies(Mie and Akiko Wakabayashi) in Vs. Godzilla

I haven't seen the 2005 one yet so I don't know if there are any Bond connections in that one.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Gerard wrote: »
    91WrTCBcHEL._SX342_.jpg

I passed on this because frankly the first season was just SO good this (and 3) simply pale by comparison. :(
    @PrinceKamalKhan good Selection of monster movies. I rate Peter Jackon's King Kong it has some great sequences, it surprised me when I read your post that King Kong is13 years old.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    @PrinceKamalKhan good Selection of monster movies. I rate Peter Jackon's King Kong it has some great sequences, it surprised me when I read your post that King Kong is13 years old.

@Fire_and_Ice_Returns

Thanks. Just wait until it's 42 years old like the 1976 one is now.

Of all of them, I have a great sentimental childhood fondness for the Cold War era Escapes with its mad scientist villain(interestingly named Dr. Who. No relation to the more famous one), Mie Hama's femme fatale Madame Piranha(echoes of Blofeld's piranha pool from YOLT?) and the whole good King Kong vs. Bad Robot Kong battle.

@Fire_and_Ice_Returns

Thanks. Just wait until it's 42 years old like the 1976 one is now.

Of all of them, I have a great sentimental childhood fondness for the Cold War era Escapes with its mad scientist villain(interestingly named Dr. Who. No relation to the more famous one), Mie Hama's femme fatale Madame Piranha(echoes of Blofeld's piranha pool from YOLT?) and the whole good King Kong vs. Bad Robot Kong battle.

Almost as old as me, the first Kong film I saw was the Jeff Bridges and Jessica Lang take when I was very young I should give it a revisit. The recent Godzilla: King of the Monsters trailer has had be looking on YouTube for past monster movies clips, I have been thinking about buying a few of the older classics myself. I grew up watching many of the old Godzilla movies and his many foes and a monster allies.