The Last Movie You Bought?

Comments

Question: Has anyone here tried the Google movie service, Google Play? Looking at a few titles I want to get, and I see the prices (on these titles) are a bit cheaper than on iTunes.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Question: Has anyone here tried the Google movie service, Google Play? Looking at a few titles I want to get, and I see the prices (on these titles) are a bit cheaper than on iTunes.

I don't use Google Play, but here's a good article to showcase the major and minor differences between both platforms; it's best to know what you're purchasing and how accessible it may be across different platforms/hardware before spending any money on movie purchases/rentals:

https://gizmodo.com/how-to-choose-between-itunes-and-google-play-movies-t-1825558785
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I don't use Google Play, but here's a good article to showcase the major and minor differences between both platforms; it's best to know what you're purchasing and how accessible it may be across different platforms/hardware before spending any money on movie purchases/rentals:

https://gizmodo.com/how-to-choose-between-itunes-and-google-play-movies-t-1825558785

Thanks for the link, @Creasy47! I'll read that before purchasing the films :-)
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited September 2018 Posts: 23,377

I have four movies bought on Google play, last film I bought was a digital copy of Alien Covenant, one plus point is you can watch Google play films on YouTube. When you goto the Library on your YouTube menu you will see a sub menu called Purchases any TV or films you buy from Google play will be there. It's handy if you have YouTube streaming app on your TV etc.

I have four movies bought on Google play, last film I bought was a digital copy of Alien Covenant, one plus point is you can watch Google play films on YouTube. When you goto the Library on your YouTube menu you will see a sub menu called Purchases any TV or films you buy from Google play will be there. It's handy if you have YouTube streaming app on your TV etc.

That's very interesting! Does your purchases get downloaded/stored locally, like in the iTunes library, or is it just streaming?
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

That's very interesting! Does your purchases get downloaded/stored locally, like in the iTunes library, or is it just streaming?

It won't let me download using YouTube premium.
    I have never tried to download them from Google Play Movies, I'll just check Google Play Movie app.

@Torgeirtrap it has a download option on my smart phone.

Thanks for the information! So you have just streamed the films through your browser of choice, then?

Thanks for the information! So you have just streamed the films through your browser of choice, then?

Yeah glad I just checked Google movies they gave me a discount so rented the recent Tomb Raider film for 99p, I'll watch that through my YouTube app on my TV.

So where ever you have YouTube you can stream your purchases. Just downloading the films I bought to my tablet from Google Movies app, handy so I can watch them offline when at work.

Yeah glad I just checked Google movies they gave me a discount so rented the recent Tomb Raider film for 99p, I'll watch that through my YouTube app on my TV.

So where ever you have YouTube you can stream your purchases. Just downloading the films I bought to my tablet from Google Movies app, handy so I can watch them offline when at work.

That's great! Might give it a try, then. I like iTunes, but if Google Movies can deliver something similar in terms of content and quality (and functionality of course), it's great to have the alternative!

That's great! Might give it a try, then. I like iTunes, but if Google Movies can deliver something similar in terms of content and quality (and functionality of course), it's great to have the alternative!

I have bought majority of my digital media from Amazon, I like to be able to download to my pc and devices.

I have bought majority of my digital media from Amazon, I like to be able to download to my pc and devices.

I don't think we have that opportunity here in Norway, unfortunately. There's plenty of titles on Amazon that would be great to have a digital copy of, that's for sure!

I don't think we have that opportunity here in Norway, unfortunately. There's plenty of titles on Amazon that would be great to have a digital copy of, that's for sure!

Amazon video is quite random though has an extensive library, I have bought roughly 120 digital films from Amazon, I tend to try and get deals when possible. I still prefer blurays though when not at home digital films are great.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 17,293

Amazon video is quite random though has an extensive library, I have bought roughly 120 digital films from Amazon, I tend to try and get deals when possible. I still prefer blurays though when not at home digital films are great.

It certainly looks like Amazon has plenty to choose from. Hopefully the movie service will be able in more countries eventually!

I prefer physical copies too, but as I don't have much place to store films anymore, digital copies are a great option.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited September 2018 Posts: 13,894
    91HthZZVIeL._SY445_.jpg
    91zQSWMqIZL._SY445_.jpg

It certainly looks like Amazon has plenty to choose from. Hopefully the movie service will be able in more countries eventually!

I prefer physical copies too, but as I don't have much place to store films anymore, digital copies are a great option.

I have way too many films dvd and bluray ran out of space so had to box some up.

I have way too many films dvd and bluray ran out of space so had to box some up.

It's the very same issue for me as well. I've been getting rid of a lot of stuff recently, and I have to have a look at my DVD/Blu-ray collection to see if there are some films that are worth getting rid of. Will be a difficult thing to do!
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Last Saturday i bought for € 2,00 the 2 disc digipack dvd from The Mission (1986)
    It include the 57 min documentry and Photogallery. The BD release have no extra's and dvd also include DTS. It is the 100 dvd with Dts in my collection.

1002004000098836.jpg

It's the very same issue for me as well. I've been getting rid of a lot of stuff recently, and I have to have a look at my DVD/Blu-ray collection to see if there are some films that are worth getting rid of. Will be a difficult thing to do!

I've been limiting myself solely to films I KNOW I'm going to rewatch on a consistent enough basis. I've stopped purchasing great movies (sold them off if I already owned them, or trying to anyway) that I know I'll likely see once and shelve for years and years to come.

I've been limiting myself solely to films I KNOW I'm going to rewatch on a consistent enough basis. I've stopped purchasing great movies (sold them off if I already owned them, or trying to anyway) that I know I'll likely see once and shelve for years and years to come.

That seems like a smart way to do it. There are films I know I haven't watched for 10-15 years, so that's probably the ones that got to go. Thinking about it, the numbers of films I haven't seen in years amount to quite a lot of DVDs/Blu-rays!

It's time I started selling on ebay, recently got a new 4K camera so need to pull my finger out and get stuff sold.
    Deleted

That seems like a smart way to do it. There are films I know I haven't watched for 10-15 years, so that's probably the ones that got to go. Thinking about it, the numbers of films I haven't seen in years amount to quite a lot of DVDs/Blu-rays!

Right? You're likely sitting on a lot of money to be made, along with a lot of space to be freed up. I figure no matter how great some of them are, I'd much rather clear up room and make a couple of bucks off of a title, and if I ever want to rewatch it, I'll take a cheap avenue to do so. No sense in them collecting dust, and at the rate I like to purchase movies, the spacing in my room wouldn't have worked logically; it'd lead to me stuffing them in cabinets and drawers haphazardly, which would irritate me.

eBay is probably the best route to go to sell them, or Amazon. You could use some physical stores like FYE, but they rob you blind with the prices you give. I haven't traded with them in a decade at least - I'm all for taking a loss in such an exchange, but offering me less than $1 for a movie is an extreme joke.

Right? You're likely sitting on a lot of money to be made, along with a lot of space to be freed up. I figure no matter how great some of them are, I'd much rather clear up room and make a couple of bucks off of a title, and if I ever want to rewatch it, I'll take a cheap avenue to do so. No sense in them collecting dust, and at the rate I like to purchase movies, the spacing in my room wouldn't have worked logically; it'd lead to me stuffing them in cabinets and drawers haphazardly, which would irritate me.

eBay is probably the best route to go to sell them, or Amazon. You could use some physical stores like FYE, but they rob you blind with the prices you give. I haven't traded with them in a decade at least - I'm all for taking a loss in such an exchange, but offering me less than $1 for a movie is an extreme joke.

@Creasy47 Ebay (or a similar service) looks like the way to go for getting rid of some films, I think - thanks for the tip! :-)

The haphazardly stuffing of DVDs in cabinets is an issue I experience now, and I need to get that sorted. It's not like it's a massive film collection, but it doesn't take that many films before you notice the amount of space they require. Looking at some of the films in one shelf now, it surprises me how many bad comedies I've collected…
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I have zero space for a full-on DVD/Bluray collection in plastic cases anymore, so voila'! 450 movies right here (not including steel books & collectible trilogy or TV sets):

lSXHCGF.jpg
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I have zero space for a full-on DVD/Bluray collection in plastic cases anymore, so voila'! 450 movies right here (not including steel books & collectible trilogy or TV sets):

lSXHCGF.jpg

Do you keep the cover art, or do you throw it away with the plastic cases?
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

I have tossed them. I mean, keep them? In a folder? Why? If it's just an insert in the case, it's only really just a high quality xerox. Booklets or other physical stuff is another matter. Them I keep. That's what my old steamer trunk is for!

D0XOrEL.jpg
    Happy to help @Torgeirtrap! I'm sure they inevitably take a small percentage of sales/you have to pay to be a seller, but at least you can set your own prices. I do the same via bluray.com, it's very user friendly and helpful for selling off any type of movie I wish.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 17,293
    chrisisall wrote: »

I have tossed them. I mean, keep them? In a folder? Why? If it's just an insert in the case, it's only really just a high quality xerox. Booklets or other physical stuff is another matter. Them I keep. That's what my old steamer trunk is for!

D0XOrEL.jpg

The reason I ask is only because I once saw an image online where someone had found a smart way to store DVD's and Blu-ray's in a similar way with the inserts wrapped around each disk. I can't remember how they did it, and typically enough I can't find the image anymore. If you had done something similar that would have saved me some time searching online! ;-)

Do you recommend Kolchak, by the way?
    Happy to help @Torgeirtrap! I'm sure they inevitably take a small percentage of sales/you have to pay to be a seller, but at least you can set your own prices. I do the same via bluray.com, it's very user friendly and helpful for selling off any type of movie I wish.

Yeah, I guess it's unavoidable that they want to take percentages of the sales. We have a similar service here in Norway, but I don't know how they operate re. prices.

I'm going to have a look at how many films I want to get rid of first though, to see how much profit is possible. If it's not that many DVD's/Blu-ray's I might just try to sell to some friends or something. In any case, it's great to have options!
    DSC_0013.JPG

Totally forgot I pre ordered this, it just arrived in the post, I like the cover.