"Star Trek: Discovery" (CBS All Access/Netflix, 2017)

Comments

A more revealing promo trailer this time. Since it's geotagged...

The one for US and Canadian citizens (CBS All Access):
    https://trekmovie.com/2017/09/05/latest-star-trek-discovery-promo-explores-where-no-one-has-gone-before/

The one for all other nations on the planet (Netflix):

Really looking forward to seeing where this series takes us?!!!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Shouldn't have too much sci-fi TV competition, as 'The Orville' has gotten some pretty terrible reviews so far.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 11,119
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Shouldn't have too much sci-fi TV competition, as 'The Orville' has gotten some pretty terrible reviews so far.

That's, how weird it may sound, pretty good news for "Star Trek: Discovery" then:-). The new Fox Series was basically bullying "Star Trek" in their promo-campaign. Quite sad....

Well, the theme music is even a blatant copy of past Star Trek themes @Creasy47 :
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Been avoiding spoilers and any further information on Discovery for the last several weeks, I am just going to watch it when it airs and hopefully it will surprise me.
  • Two weeks and counting!!
    Here's a nice movie about the work that "Star Trek: Discovery" composer Jeff Russo ("Fargo") did. You see him conducting the main title theme of "Discovery" as well :-):

It starts with a few cues of Alexander Courage's theme, but then....then you hear something more new, fresh and Original that will be only heard for "Star Trek: Discovery". And? I. Love. It!

Also, a new videoclip (now clips are being released instead of trailers), showing the arrival of the USS Shenzhou:
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    https://trekmovie.com/2017/08/16/jason-isaacs-attempts-to-clarify-controversial-comments-about-star-trek-fans/

“I don’t mean to sound irreverent when I say I don’t care about the die-hard Trek fans. I only ‘don’t care’ about them in the sense that I know they’re all going to watch anyway. I look forward to having the fun of them being outraged, so they can sit up all night and talk about it with each other.”

The column also added the following, but without any attribution: “Isaacs, 54, said the new show will throw away the legacy of William Shatner and Patrick Stewart.”

Not sure how I missed this, well I have been won over (sarcasm)
  • https://trekmovie.com/2017/08/16/jason-isaacs-attempts-to-clarify-controversial-comments-about-star-trek-fans/

“I don’t mean to sound irreverent when I say I don’t care about the die-hard Trek fans. I only ‘don’t care’ about them in the sense that I know they’re all going to watch anyway. I look forward to having the fun of them being outraged, so they can sit up all night and talk about it with each other.”

The column also added the following, but without any attribution: “Isaacs, 54, said the new show will throw away the legacy of William Shatner and Patrick Stewart.”

Not sure how I missed this, well I have been won over (sarcasm)

Me too ;-). Sometimes you have to slam all these radical Trekkies very hard in their faces. Like this quote, which makes sense:
    “some fans are so passionate about it that they become fearful of change.”
    https://www.inverse.com/article/36472-star-trek-discovery-reviews-streaming-critics-fan-controversy

Good article by the way....
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I'll give it a chance.
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,347
    Heard something today which has made me think Discovery maybe not what it seems in a good way
    Mirror Universe
    not sure how true this is I am theorising this could have a impact on the show as a whole.
    The first spoiler-free reviews are in from the red carpet premiere of "Star Trek: Discovery". The reviews are based on the first two episodes/parts of the series, "The Vulcan Hello" and "Battle At The Binary Stars":

N7EyiY2.jpg
    jW2LhkQ.jpg
    nbMY2Dw.jpg
    Thlahgm.jpg
    zpwFG9C.jpg
    CBJQpf9.jpg

Also, read here some further news about the red carpet premiere:
    http://nerdist.com/star-trek-discovery-first-reactions-positive/
    https://www.inverse.com/article/36631-star-trek-discovery-twists-premiere-reactions-review

Then, here's a nice article about all the comparisons of "Star Trek: Discovery" with "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine":
    star-trek-discovery-deep-space-nine-1021750-320x180.jpg
    http://comicbook.com/startrek/2017/09/20/star-trek-discovery-anthony-rapp-deep-space-nine

And here are pictures from the Red Carpet:
    KkM7r3c.jpg
    http://www.startrek.com/article/discoverys-world-premiere
    Positive reviews that's good, one thing I am looking forward to is watching Discovery in 4K.
  • Positive reviews that's good, one thing I am looking forward to is watching Discovery in 4K.

I just can't WAIT @Fire_and_Ice_Returns . I'm not sure what to do:

A) Collect the first 8 episodes of "Discovery" until mid November, and then organize a binge watch event with my best friends?, or
    B) Watch the first two pilot episodes upcoming Monday
    Positive reviews that's good, one thing I am looking forward to is watching Discovery in 4K.

A) Collect the first 8 episodes of "Discovery" until mid November, and then organize a binge watch event with my best friends?, or

I am not sure how the episodes are being aired on UK Netflix, I heard several months ago we may get half a season initially which happens with some select shows on Netflix. If it's good I'll probably binge watch all the available episodes
  • Positive reviews that's good, one thing I am looking forward to is watching Discovery in 4K.

I am not sure how the episodes are being aired on UK Netflix, I heard several months ago we may get half a season initially which happens with some select shows on Netflix. If it's good I'll probably binge watch all the available episodes

You first get to see the first two episodes this Monday.....and then all following 7 Mondays the remainder of season 1.1 (first 8 episodes) until the first week of November :-).
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,347

You first get to see the first two episodes this Monday.....and then all following 7 Mondays the remainder of season 1.1 (first 8 episodes) until the first week of November :-).

Really in the UK? I guess it will be like watching the previous shows think a episode over for a week, in 2017 it's easy to get used to having a full series drop at once

Edited: Just checked Netflix first episode is aired 25th September

Really in the UK? I guess it will be like watching the previous shows think a episode over for a week, in 2017 it's easy to get used to having a full series drop at once

Edited: Just checked Netflix first episode is aired 25th September

There you go ;-)
  • Okay, take a deep breath. Here are much nicer in-depth videos about the characters, wardrobes and production design. With tons of new footage as well:

About Captain Georgiou:

About the incredible production design:

About the Ambassador of Vulcan to Earth, Sarek:

About the Starfleet uniforms:

About First Officer Michael Burnham:
  • Here's the final title sequence of "Star Trek: Discovery", composed by Jeff Russo,

Final version, on YouTube:

Final version, on Twitter:
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/star-trek-discovery-main-title-sequence-revealed-premiere-1042564

Inverted version, so in case it is removed:
    I just got CBS All Access. Yes, I'm a Trekkie. Two hours now...
  • chrisisall wrote: »
    I just got CBS All Access. Yes, I'm a Trekkie. Two hours now...

Enjoy the two pilot episodes tonight buddy ;-)! Hope you like it. I'm going to wait until all first 8 episodes of season 1.1 are available, then binge watching like hell. Episode 1 is 60 mins, episode 2 55 mins. So that's a whole movie you're going to watch :-P
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I just finished watching episode 1 and I really enjoyed it. Unfortunately since I don't have CBS All access that's all I'll be able to see until the DVD set comes out. It's a real shame too. CBS should have used All Access to let people see the series a week early then let people who don't pay for streaming services to see it later.
    Murdock wrote: »
    I just finished watching episode 1 and I really enjoyed it. Unfortunately since I don't have CBS All access that's all I'll be able to see until the DVD set comes out. It's a real shame too. CBS should have used All Access to let people see the series a week early then let people who don't pay for streaming services to see it later.

Pain In The Ass. I had to navigate from CBS regular to CBS Access to watch this and if I could go back in time I'd tell myself to just watch Omega Glory on Blu Ray & wait for Discovery on the same format. 'All Access' is STUPID access. Cancelling now.
    I loved it! It really looks amazing considering it's CBS. The All Access thing sucks though. I really don't want this becoming normal. But the first 2 episodes were really something I want to keep watching so we'll see. I hope no matter how it does in the ratings, the show continues to produce quality episodes and continues strong
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited September 2017 Posts: 5,979
    bondbat007 wrote: »
    I loved it! It really looks amazing considering it's CBS. The All Access thing sucks though. I really don't want this becoming normal. But the first 2 episodes were really something I want to keep watching so we'll see. I hope no matter how it does in the ratings, the show continues to produce quality episodes and continues strong

This is the future of TV. Like newspapers with paywalls.
    You'd think CBS would avoid that since we evolve past the use of money in the Star Trek universe. ;)
    You'd think CBS would avoid that since we evolve past the use of money in the Star Trek universe. ;)
    LOL, I'll just watch Enterprise season 4 again. Crap video quality combined with crap navigation = chrisisall bailing.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    LOL, I'll just watch Enterprise season 4 again. Crap video quality combined with crap navigation = chrisisall bailing.

As much as I'd like to keep watching Discovery, I'm happy I have The Orville to fall back on. It's episodes are getting better each week. Their morality play episode was really well done and really reminded me of TNG. :-bd