"Star Trek: Discovery" (CBS All Access/Netflix, 2017)

Comments

• edited September 2017 Posts: 2,107
    I was wondering why s(he) didn't have pointy ears. Now I get it.

Thanks.

18ucyf.jpg
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    No problem. :)
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Murdock wrote: »
    SharkBait wrote: »
    Is Michael the first transgender vulcan?
    She's a human raised by Vulcan's brought up the Vulcan way.
    A few YouTube channels suggested because of her name that Michael was transgendered, there no official comment as far as I am aware.

Nothing has been confirmed as of yet. I wouldn't be surprised if they take that route though.

Those involved with STD may do anything to court attention it would seem, hope the show improves
    A few YouTube channels suggested because of her name that Michael was transgendered, there no official comment as far as I am aware.

Nothing has been confirmed as of yet. I wouldn't be surprised if they take that route though.

Those involved with STD may do anything to court attention it would seem, hope the show improves

I can see it happening. Which is funny because the Orville touched that subject first. But I do hope Discovery improves. I've liked what I've seen so far but it didn't wow me unfortunately.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

I can see it happening. Which is funny because the Orville touched that subject first. But I do hope Discovery improves. I've liked what I've seen so far but it didn't wow me unfortunately.

Early days I know though as good as the budget is I was not blind sided by the effects, when you strip away the spectacle there was not a great deal going on. The pilot is a prologue apartantly so I'll expect some character development in the next episode

Early days I know though as good as the budget is I was not blind sided by the effects, when you strip away the spectacle there was not a great deal going on. The pilot is a prologue apartantly so I'll expect some character development in the next episode

Agreed. No Star Trek pilot episode has really represented the series proper so I'm hopeful it will get better in time.

Agreed. No Star Trek pilot episode has really represented the series proper so I'm hopeful it will get better in time.

True even the great TNG took time to get going, though I do like Encounter at Farpoint the rest of season 1 was very mixed

True even the great TNG took time to get going, though I do like Encounter at Farpoint the rest of season 1 was very mixed

Exactly. TNG took about 2 seasons to really hit it's stride.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    I am not exactly sure that STD is a good abbreviation for Star Trek Discovery. As in "Hey, I am a big fan of STD, wanna come over and have a look at it?!
    7dc81a430f5956d8cd8e1b1f565efdef--tom-whalen-slave-girl.jpg
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Nice!
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 11,119
    zebrafish wrote: »
    I am not exactly sure that STD is a good abbreviation for Star Trek Discovery. As in "Hey, I am a big fan of STD, wanna come over and have a look at it?!

Usually they say "DSC"

Other abbreviations:

"TOS" --> "Star Trek: The Original Series"
    "TAS" --> "Star Trek: The Animated Series"
    "TNG" --> "Star Trek: The Next Generation"
    "DS9" --> "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine"
    "VOY" --> "Star Trek: Voyager"
    "ENT" --> "Star Trek: Enterprise"

"DSC" --> "Star Trek: Discovery"

One more thing? I am used to the moderators being strict here sometimes. And strictness includes using discussions in topics they are meant for. For example: We discuss "Kingsman" in a topic about that and not in a James Bond related topic. Same with "Mission: Impossible". This also goes for separating "Marvel Comics" from "DC Comics".

The same should go for, let's say, "Galaxy Quest", which is nothing but a spoof on "Star Trek". Just like Bond has many spoofs. Hence I think it is better if I, or someone else, creates a separate "The Orville"-topic. Especially since the series is relatively popular in here.

Doesn't mean I want to be a prick :-P. Frankly I'm going to watch episode 3 and 4 of "The Orville" tonight. I heard the 3rd episode is pretty good. And for simple, stand-alone sci-fi, I can also make exceeptions ;-).

PS: For the lovers of more serious, serialized "Star Trek", the DSC-lovers in here should also greatly appreciate "DS9" :-).
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Ehh, this is where we get to the point of creating endless topics for everything, which really isn't necessary. If you lot think there's a lot of discussion to be had about The Orville, then have at it, but like almost every other thread, these types of discussions easily overlap, especially if the two shows are tackling the same issues and both are science fiction. No harm done if one is being brought up in comparison to the other.
    Yeah, but what if I like to talk about other TV Series of which the topics have been closed? I prefer an organized environment where people can have discussions about the actual series. In here there is overlap yes, but what about other series I like to discuss about?

But it's not only about that. I've made some other advice as well. And you know I've been posting for years here. But frankly, to be blunt, really not much has been done with my ideas and advisory remarks.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Would you propose a thread for every TV show and film in existence, then? You know if we did that it would get crowded real fast, with hundreds of threads that only one or two people were participating in.

If the advice is of a technical level, I've told you before that should be directed at an admin, not a mod.
    I have a solution we can all discuss Discovery and The Orville in the Star Trek thread that already existed prior to this thread, problem solved!

https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/67/star-trek-1966-present
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    My first thoughts without rating the show independently or in context to other ST shows. 2 episodes is not enough.

- This show taking place in the Prime timeline is a blatant lie.

- Mentioning Nicholas Meyer having to do with this show is obviously a PR Stunt.

- This show aims at non ST fans and alienates classic Trekkie fans.

- This show will elevate Enterprise to unknown heights in popularity amongst Trekkies.

- The Orville ironically is the much more entertaining show. And has same level of audience ratings as STD. Critics as usual are automatically prejudiced.

- The show being on Netflix is the biggest plus so far.

- Character development is sacrificed for special effects.

- After 12 years without ST on TV this is simply not good enough and it barely is ST as we knew it.

Having said all this I will watch and rewatch it all. Technically it's well made but then that's a given nowadays when TV Shows look like movies.
    I hope that latest after 15 episodes the ST spark will be ignited. Otherwise this will just be any common sci-fi show and a side note eventually in the history of ST.
    I've decided to make an Orville thread, for anyone who wishes to discuss it there. :)
    https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/18412/the-orville-2017#latest
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    DSC instantly made me want to watch season 5 of ENT again...
    Just...be a bit more patient. Only 2 episodes have been broadcasted. 13 more to follow. And frankly, I think it's a bit black-and-white to paint DSC as shit at this stage. If someone took the time to watch the pilot of DS9, "Emissary", or even a movie like "The Undiscovered Country, then I think it's all but logical that sooner or later a new Trek series will focus on more serious storylines, storylines that reflect today's geopolitical world. Saying that's not "Star Trek", is saying that you want 25% of the entire Trek universe since 1966 to be cut off and burried away.

Frankly? I encourage people to be a bit more open-minded. "Star Trek" is everyone's heritage. But that doesn't mean that Trekkies should boycot this series or that fans should crap on it this early. It's unfair, it's not nice and it's certainly not progressive.....which the Trek-franchise in its core is.
    I've decided to make an Orville thread, for anyone who wishes to discuss it there. :)
    https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/18412/the-orville-2017#latest

Perfect @Murdock . I may not be the biggest fan of "The Orville". And you know my opinion. But I have never been uttermost negative towards it. I try to reason with neat words. Not with words like "blatant lie" or "this show will do this or that". I am not a preacher, certainly not after 2 episodes. That goes for both "The Orville" and "DSC". Hence I think you did a very good job by creating a separate topic about it :-). It'll make the discussion more clearer, and it prevents a lot of bickering. Each one to his own :-).

Perhaps you can re-edit your topic name into "The Orville" (Fox TV, 2017 - present). Would be nice if we streamline all topics to a more common template. Easy for the eyes
    @Gustav_Graves I will certainly watch all of DSC! As @Murdock said, Trek has never given us a series that was firing on all thrusters right out of the dock. All I'm saying is that this series starts off with a war, so yeah, not the best moment to want some feel-good out of a show.
    Tonight the 3rd episode of DSC, titled "Context Is For Kings". Short synopsis:
    Burnham finds herself aboard the U.S.S. Discovery, where she quickly realizes things are not as they seem, including the mysterious Captain Gabriel Lorca.

Also, the titles of the 5th and 6th episode have been released:

SEASON 1A:
    Air date: 24.09.2017: "The Vulcan Hello/Battle At The Binary Stars - Part 1"
    Air date: 24.09.2017: "The Vulcan Hello/Battle At The Binary Stars - Part 2"
    Air date: 01.10.2017: "Context Is For Kings"
    Air date: 08.10.2017: "The Butcher's Knife Cares Not For The Lamb's Cry"
    Air date: 15.10.2017: "Choose Your Pain"
    Air date: 22.10.2017: "Lethe"
    Air date: 29.10.2017: no title yet
    Air date: 05.11.2017: no title yet
    SEASON 1B:
    Air date: 07.01.2018: no title yet
    Air date: 14.01.2018: no title yet
    Air date: 21.01.2018: no title yet
    Air date: 28.01.2018: no title yet
    Air date: 18.02.2018: no title yet
    Air date: 11.02.2018: no title yet
    Air date: 18.02.2018: no title yet

My question to all of you know is this:
    Since "Star Trek: Discovery" is very much like "Westworld" (HBO), "Stranger Things" (Netflix), "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" (CBS), "The Expanse (SyFy) and "Game Of Thrones" (HBO) a 'binge-watch series', will you wait until early november until all first 8 episodes (of which each individual episode has a running time of 60 mins) have premiered?

I will. And so far I manage to save up the episodes until my Binge Watching Event on November 11th ;-). That'll be a hefty night with 8 hours of Original "Star Trek"!
    Good news! People are raving about the 3rd episode which premiered tonight. It's classic Trek, with wonderful speeches from an enigmatic Picard-like Captain Lorca and more pronounced wit and funny technobabble:

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/star-trek-discovery-episode-3-social-media-reactions/
    Good news! People are raving about the 3rd episode which premiered tonight. It's classic Trek, with wonderful speeches from an enigmatic Picard-like Captain Lorca and more pronounced wit and funny technobabble:

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/star-trek-discovery-episode-3-social-media-reactions/

This makes me happy! Now I just have to SEE it.
    It's already on Netflix.
    At a meeting will have to catch the 3rd episode early afternoon
    edited October 2017 Posts: 23,465
    Well I enjoyed STD episode 3 it was good and I really like Burnham, some very good key scenes have given a clear indication where this show is going and I like it. I have some minor issues though the overall story arc can explain away some issues, I am happy to say I am locked into this very different Star Trek.
    Discovery is a Section 31 vessel I think http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Section_31

Edited: watched it twice some characters are obnoxious though they could be tweaked as the writing progresses
    My question to all of you know is this:
    Since "Star Trek: Discovery" is very much like "Westworld" (HBO), "Stranger Things" (Netflix), "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" (CBS), "The Expanse (SyFy) and "Game Of Thrones" (HBO) a 'binge-watch series', will you wait until early november until all first 8 episodes (of which each individual episode has a running time of 60 mins) have premiered?

I will. And so far I manage to save up the episodes until my Binge Watching Event on November 11th ;-). That'll be a hefty night with 8 hours of Original "Star Trek"!

Anyone else trying to do the same as I do ;-)?
    I visited a dear friend of mine today and to my excitement I learned he has CBS all access so I got to catch up and see episodes 2 and 3.

Episode 2 mirrors my reactions to Episode one. I liked it, It wasn't perfect but it was a solid episode. The special effects are really good and I like the character Saru.

Episode 3 was a big step up. I liked the ideas brought into play. Had some nice little touches that reminded me of Alien and The Thing. Though I did find the USS Discovery crew a bit unlikable out of the gate. Though I'm sure that will change soon. But all in all a very good episode. It's a great time to be a sci fi fan. :-bd.
    Episode 3 was a big step up. I liked the ideas brought into play. Had some nice little touches that reminded me of Alien and The Thing. Though I did find the USS Discovery crew a bit unlikable out of the gate. Though I'm sure that will change soon. But all in all a very good episode. It's a great time to be a sci fi fan. :-bd.
    Good to know!