"Star Trek: Discovery" (CBS All Access/Netflix, 2017)

Comments

So grateful for your updates @Creasy47. You're our walking Reuters Newswire ;-)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    So grateful for your updates @Creasy47. You're our walking Reuters Newswire ;-)

I have my moments!
    Has this show even premiered yet? Details regarding the second season:

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-trek-discovery-season-2/
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,378
    Creasy47 wrote: »

This smacks of trying to stir interest in season 1, I have read rumours this may not last past one season I hope that is not true.

This smacks of trying to stir interest in season 1, I have read rumours this may not last one season I hope that is not true.

It's the same as getting casting information for a sequel (or a sequel to a sequel) for an original movie that hasn't even been released yet.

Always makes me think of them jumping the gun by kickstarting the 'John Carter of Mars' sequel nearly a year before release, just for it to debut to crushing reviews and a piss-poor box office.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

This smacks of trying to stir interest in season 1, I have read rumours this may not last one season I hope that is not true.

It's the same as getting casting information for a sequel (or a sequel to a sequel) for an original movie that hasn't even been released yet.

Always makes me think of them jumping the gun by kickstarting the 'John Carter of Mars' sequel nearly a year before release, just for it to debut to crushing reviews and a piss-poor box office.

Meant past one season :) I love Star Trek though I fear this could be a disaster I hope I am wrong and the show finds its feet and an audience, the reason why shows succeed is because they get there audience early, by the time this show can turn it around it maybe too late. The first and second parts of the season are very different by all accounts, as the show runners did a course correct.

Meant past one season :) I love Star Trek though I fear this could be a disaster I hope I am wrong and the show finds its feet and an audience, the reason why shows succeed is because they get there audience early, by the time this show can turn it around it maybe too late. The first and second parts of the season are very different by all accounts, as the show runners did a course correct.

It's got quite the fanbase for it, that's for sure. I can only hope it's successful, I'm sure there's a lot of fans out there who are hoping it'll be, but I know most are turned off by the streaming option they're doing with this.

It's got quite the fanbase for it, that's for sure. I can only hope it's successful, I'm sure there's a lot of fans out there who are hoping it'll be, but I know most are turned off by the streaming option they're doing with this.

Star Trek Next Generation had teething problems though the land scape has changed dramatically since the 80's, even die hard fans like myself know a turkey when I see one unfortunately.
    I just really hope this isn't the beginning of a new era where new shows will crop up exclusively on some random streaming service that you have to pay for. These methods were great for cord-cutters such as myself, but after a while you begin to realize there are 15 to 20 different apps out there that all stream different films, shows, etc. Gets quite pricy if you wish to have them all.
    I just really hope this isn't the beginning of a new era where new shows will crop up exclusively on some random streaming service that you have to pay for. These methods were great for cord-cutters such as myself, but after a while you begin to realize there are 15 to 20 different apps out there that all stream different films, shows, etc. Gets quite pricy if you wish to have them all.

It's all down to who is prepared to fund shows, networks could all go individual stream services eventually.

I have Amazon Prime, Sky and Netflix and other sports streaming services the outlay amounts to several hundred pounds a year it's crazy. I do randomly cancel one or more when shows I like are not showing,
    All I have is Netflix and HBO Now, got some friends who were kind enough to hook me up with sign-in information for a couple other services. It's pretty rare that there's something I'm in the mood for that isn't located on any of them.

Didn't I read somewhere this new 'Star Trek' is supposed to premiere on Netflix for the UK or something like that?
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,378
    All I have is Netflix and HBO Now, got some friends who were kind enough to hook me up with sign-in information for a couple other services. It's pretty rare that there's something I'm in the mood for that isn't located on any of them.

Didn't I read somewhere this new 'Star Trek' is supposed to premiere on Netflix for the UK or something like that?

That's right it's on Netflix, I think Netflix have over extended themselves the debt they are in is frightening.

http://www.thefader.com/2017/07/31/netflix-20-billion-debt
    Surprisingly, the show has received a TV-MA rating:

https://redshirtsalwaysdie.com/2017/08/19/star-trek-discovery-tv-ma-rating/
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited August 2017 Posts: 9,020
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I hate to say it but the more I see from this series the more my enthusiasm for it fades.
    Murdock wrote: »
    I hate to say it but the more I see from this series the more my enthusiasm for it fades.

Why is that? :-)

I can't quite put my finger on it the moment, but with all I've read and all the talk of the Direction they want to go with it I can't help but feel it's going to end up like the 2004 Battlestar Galactica series. Then there's visual elements that don't match with the era it's in that don't fit right. I'll still watch the pilot but my expectations are sadly lowered but these new incoming developments.

I can't quite put my finger on it the moment, but with all I've read and all the talk of the Direction they want to go with it I can't help but feel it's going to end up like the 2004 Battlestar Galactica series. Then there's visual elements that don't match with the era it's in that don't fit right. I'll still watch the pilot but my expectations are sadly lowered but these new incoming developments.

Just have an open mind. Try to....absorb the progressive changes a bit :-). In the end, this is also why TOS initially wasn't a big success either :-).

Just have an open mind. Try to....absorb the progressive changes a bit :-). In the end, this is also why TOS initially wasn't a big success either :-).

Oh I have an open mind, I want it to be great. Here's hoping it will be.
    Here are some web promo's / teaser trailers:

Star Trek: Discovery:

T'kuvma, Klingon High Command:

Commander Michaela Burnham:

And some great new pictures and teaser posters:

The saucer section of the USS Discovery in closer detail:
    cbsaa-dscbg-big.jpg
    4EzmVzj.jpg

Only four more weeks to go until the 130 min pilot episode!!!
    :-D
    Wonder how long it will be until I get to see this in the UK?
    RogueAgent wrote: »

Monday September 25th Netflix UK

Cheers Gustav, but unable to afford more bills at present! Got too many other projects to manage at the minute which are eating my funds sadly.

Cheers Gustav, but unable to afford more bills at present! Got too many other projects to manage at the minute which are eating my funds sadly.

Psstt, or an illegal torrent download ;-).

Psstt, or an illegal torrent download ;-).

Lol! True!
  • A more revealing promo trailer this time. Since it's geotagged...

The one for US and Canadian citizens (CBS All Access):
    https://trekmovie.com/2017/09/05/latest-star-trek-discovery-promo-explores-where-no-one-has-gone-before/

The one for all other nations on the planet (Netflix):