"Star Trek: Discovery" (CBS All Access/Netflix, 2017)

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Doesn't really sound too different to what Sarek told Spock in the 2009 film. "You are fully capable of deciding your own destiny. The question you face is, which path do you choose?"

But that's just one line from a film vs one line from a trailer of a show. It's hard to really say what the symbolic nature of a ship being destroyed is in a trailer. But not every Star Trek film needs a deep meaningful story.
    Shiver! Be stunned! It's jawdropping! The new official ComicCon trailer of "Star Trek: Discovery". With now the first looks of Captain Gabriel Lorca, Harry Mudd, and the stunning USS Discovery NCC-1031!

This looks visually stunning, love the look of the Klingons too!!!
  • Thunderball007Thunderball007 United States
    edited July 2017 Posts: 306
    So, will this adhere to established canon in the Prime timeline?

Canon is a big deal for Trekkies! :p
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,378
    I have my concerns about Discovery the problems the show has had in development are a worry, it appears the show may shift tone at some point from what I have read. I will stick with it as it's Star Trek though that last trailer looked awful.
    I have my concerns about Discovery the problems the show has had in development are a worry, it appears the show may shift tone at some point from what I have read. I will stick with it as it's Star Trek though that last trailer looked awful.

Awful in what way?
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Awful in what way?

Really not keen on the colour pallette

Awful in what way?

Really not keen on the colour pallette

Yeah, the colour pallette :-O
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Ahh, another very visual person. lol I'm one as well and while I'm not crazy about the ship's design, I am excited about the potential of the series. Nick Meyers is involved, that's enough to be very hopeful

I have read there is quite a shift in tone midway through the first season, I want Discovery to do well though it looks way to dark for me right now. Though if the writing ends up being great any quibbles will be secondary

P.s. do we know what Meyers other secret Star trek project is? Not been keeping upto date with recent news.
    I have read there is quite a shift in tone midway through the first season, I want Discovery to do well though it looks way to dark for me right now. Though if the writing ends up being great any quibbles will be secondary

P.s. do we know what Meyers other secret Star trek project is? Not been keeping upto date with recent news.

Apparently it's rumoured to be this www.bleedingcool.com/2017/07/30/star-trek-khan-series-nicholas-meyer/
    saxby wrote: »

Apparently it's rumoured to be this https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/07/30/star-trek-khan-series-nicholas-meyer/

saxby wrote: »

Apparently it's rumoured to be this www.bleedingcool.com/2017/07/30/star-trek-khan-series-nicholas-meyer/

Cheers for that very interesting I am guessing it could be set during the eugenic wars, if done right that mini series has potential. Not sure post space seed has much to explore, the Trek version of the 1990s is more appealing.
    Quite astonishing really. Last time two "Star Trek" TV Series were running next to each other, was during the period 1994-1999: "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" and "Star Trek: Voyager".
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,378
    @Murdock finally got round to watching Star Trek Into Darkness Imax edition on Bluray, highly recommend literally ever special effects scene is in Imax looks phenomenal.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I really hope this show works out, posters look good like the insignias.
    @Murdock finally got round to watching Star Trek Into Darkness Imax edition on Bluray, highly recommend literally ever special effects scene is in Imax looks phenomenal.

@Fire_and_Ice_Returns, I can agree with that, It's a very beautiful film to look at. Especially on Blu-ray. :)
    Murdock wrote: »

@Fire_and_Ice_Returns, I can agree with that, It's a very beautiful film to look at. Especially on Blu-ray. :)

Have you got the Imax version had to order it from the states not available in Europe.

Have you got the Imax version had to order it from the states not available in Europe.

Yes I do. It's fantastic. :)

Yes I do. It's fantastic. :)

Looked great on my 4K TV really elevated the film, I love Imax :))
    It is one of life's little pleasures. ;)

Much prefer it to 3D, I love the sequence when Scotty vertically flys down into the Vengeance hanger looked fantastic.

Much prefer it to 3D, I love the sequence when Scotty vertically flys down into the Vengeance hanger looked fantastic.

The Vengeance vs Enterprise scene is so eyepoppingly beautiful. :O
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,378

I know you prefer Beyond though the visuals on Into Darkness are better than most of the recent Sci fi movies. The city scape at the end is phenomenal, I divorce it from Wrath of Khan and appreciate it on its own merits now

I know you prefer Beyond though the visuals on Into Darkness are better than most of the recent Sci fi movies. The city scape at the end is phenomenal, I divorce it from Wrath of Khan and appreciate it on its own merits now

I agree with you. I liked Into Darkness unlike most. It's not perfect but I can enjoy it on it's own merits too.

I agree with you. I liked Into Darkness unlike most. It's not perfect but I can enjoy it on it's own merits too.

I like the Kelvin timeline cast Pine in Beyond was very good, Pine had emotional resonance that reminded me of Shatner in that film.

I like the Kelvin timeline cast Pine in Beyond was very good, Pine had emotional resonance that reminded me of Shatner in that film.

Agreed, I love the new cast, they do such a great job.

Very interesting information regarding Trek rights

Very interesting information regarding Trek rights

These are the so called 'Trekkies' who are already raging a war against the creators of Discovery, because in their eyes this series is already doing everything wrong even before the series premieres. It are these radical non-fans who in the end are responsible for the demise of Star Trek.
    It was the factual reports that I found interesting @Gustav, and the rights regarding prime timeline. The end section was just speculation I take that with a pinch of salt. If Discovery ends up being great I will be happy.