"Star Trek: Discovery" (CBS All Access/Netflix, 2017)

Comments

talos7 wrote: »
    I thought I read that there is an incident in the pilot where one or both ships are damaged. It may be that just the crews are combined.

It all starts with
    the USS Shenzhou, and then after season 1A we slowly get introduced to the USS Discovery in season 1B
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited July 2017 Posts: 7,970
    More details about Lt. Saru!

One of the new things about Star Trek: Discovery is the character of science officer Saru played by Doug Jones. We saw him in the trailer, including his memorable line about being able to sense the coming of death, but little is known about the character and his alien species. Today Entertainment Weekly provides a bit more detail:
    On Saru’s planet, there’s a dominant predator species that constantly imperils another weaker species called Kelpiens. As part of the latter group, Saru has evolved with heightened survival instincts. Such prey species tend to have a cowardly reputation in the Federation, but Saru should not be underestimated.

Showrunner Aaron Harberts also notes that Saru is the first of his species to join Starfleet. Jones is also quoted in the article, saying:
    “[Producers] said Saru is the Spock of the series, he’s the Data of the series — and those are beloved characters that I always connect with whenever I would watch the past incarnations of Star Trek,” said Jones, giving some details about his role for the first time. “On Falling Skies, I played an alien species who came to Earth to help the humans fight back the bad aliens who’d taken over, and I was intelligent, well-spoken, had a lot of answers and science-y smart. Saru is all of those things and then some.”
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    In short: I just adore the design of the USS Discovery. And I think it's 100 times better than this 'popcorn'-design, this muscle-design from the last three reboot Trek movies. That USS Enterprise is simply..........ugly:
    88386701_o.jpg

The Discovery and the Kelvin Enterprise don't look all that different really. One's just got more sleeker lines than the other. While I'm not the biggest fan of the Kelvin Enterprise it doesn't look that bad. Though both are better than the Next Generation Enterprise D which I think is the worst starship design in the franchise. :))
    Enterprise-refit and E are my favorites; The Kelvin timeline design is a bit bulky and comes off as a distorted version of the classic design.
    I agree with that as well. I love the TOS Enteprise, the Refit and the Enterprise E. The Kelvin Enterprise looked the best in Star Trek Beyond.
    My favourite ship design is this one. A tough, small, 24th century ship. In size slightly larger than a Defiant Class and smaller than an Intrepid Class. The Nova Class:
    10482246013_6e9dcace84_b.jpg
    10482078146_1594951409_b.jpg
    latest?cb=20070316222615&path-prefix=en
    latest?cb=20140712031116&path-prefix=protagonist

nova_class_ortho___uss_equinox_by_unusualsuspex-d6sknvt.jpg
    df8ea5aa4fbe448dc7bcbf805204b44d.jpg
    Yes, a very nice design
    I almost forgot to mention my other favorite ship class is the Miranda Class most famous for being the USS Reliant in Star Trek II. I love this fan made version to have it look like a TOS era ship.

GT1bj.jpg
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Cool!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

I don't remotely follow this thread, I just see posts regarding the show online and post accordingly.
    Some great new pictures and drawings from "Star Trek: Discovery", including the full look of the USS Shenzhou and the USS Discovery, and the medical uniform!

hZK7FBT.jpg
    PbRrQuG.jpg
    3Iel9Sv.jpg
    Cue2nXk.jpg
    sIfaGlK.jpg
    ob7wuuV.jpg
    tu4zili.jpg
    oKKX1ua.jpg
    InJRsto.jpg
    Great photos! The white uniform is different and very nice. I like the design of the Shenzhou.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 11,119
    So which one do you like most?

s9mxgPV.jpg

A) The USS Discovery NCC-1031 (Prime Timeline)

B) The USS Enterprise NCC-1701 (Kelvin Timeline reboot)

Slick and elegant? Or steampunk and clunky?
    Edgy lines? Or round lines?
    OMG!!!!! The Autons have took over the Federation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Lol!
    RogueAgent wrote: »

The Autons???
    So which one do you like most?

s9mxgPV.jpg

A) The USS Discovery NCC-1031 (Prime Timeline)

B) The USS Enterprise NCC-1701 (Kelvin Timeline reboot)

Slick and elegant? Or steampunk and clunky?
    Edgy lines? Or round lines?

You are cruel asking to choose between these two; I don't like either. Both have awkward features. The Kelvin era is too bulbous and bulky, while Structurally the Discovery looks amateurish and kite like.. I've said the Enterprise-E is my favorite because of the classic structure and long elegant lines.

If I have to choose I'll go with the Kelvin era because of the classic structure, and because I really dislike the "kite"

That's why I like the Discovery. It has some of those classic, long, elegant lines that the Sovereign-class has as well...
    I like both of them.
    RogueAgent wrote: »

The Autons???

They are an alien lifeform from the Dr Who universe, they essentially all look like shop mannequins!! Lol!
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 11,119
    Shiver! Be stunned! It's jawdropping! The new official ComicCon trailer of "Star Trek: Discovery". With now the first looks of Captain Gabriel Lorca, Harry Mudd, and the stunning USS Discovery NCC-1031!
    Not available in my country.
  • Thunderball007Thunderball007 United States
    So, this is in the Prime timeline? Will it adhere to canon?
    Here are some screencaps. @Murdock? I think the USA has a geotagged trailer as well, but then with all CBS All-Access logo's. You might want to check, since that is the one I can't see :-).

The screencaps, including first looks of the USS Discovery and USS Europa:
    NqWQNvH.jpg
    1o4PHaA.jpg
    2RETCCZ.jpg
    hCm7C0J.jpg
    HT6snQl.jpg
    F8vc933.jpg
    EmInBCx.jpg
    5ML9AMe.jpg
    QpKRfjl.jpg
    lTZsDI4.jpg
    T9ThZQw.jpg
    ZWjA6d7.jpg
    nvFaSHq.jpg
    RRQmB9B.jpg
    VuVZVcT.jpg
    TSlM6Gj.jpg
    ZVd26Ne.jpg
    I was able to find a version I could see. I'm honestly not quite sure what to make of it. It's very interesting I will say. I'll reserve any judgments until I've seen the pilot. unfortunately that's all I'll be able to see since I don't have CBS all access.
    I love the look of the Shenzhou.
    I'm surprise how visually similar it is to the Abrams/Lin films. Given all the talk about it being set in the Prime universe, it does have a lot of the visual hallmarks Abrams was heavily blasted for. Not that I have a problem with it but I wonder how people who disliked those films feel about Discovery.
    What about the contents. I mean, Sarek says this: "Change is the essential process of all existence. You must challenge your preconceptions or they will most certainly challenge you."

To me that's already 10 times deeper than many lines in the three Abrahms-verse movies. Or what about the destruction of the USS Europa. It can't get more symbolic than that, as it's obviously a reference to our Europe.

Visually, cinematographically this 'looks' indeed more like the Kelvin Timeline films. But if you pay a bit more attention to the details, to the acting, and the lines, then you actually 'discover' that Discovery is slightly more grittier and darker than the films. Not to mention the fact it's mirroring our own geopolitics.

If the three Abrahms-verse movies had better stories and deeper themes, then everyone embraced the looks and visuals of those movies much easier. Sadly that wasn't really the case.