"Star Trek: Discovery" (CBS All Access/Netflix, 2017)

Comments

• edited June 2017 Posts: 11,119
    A few days ago I wrote this on the biggest "Star Trek: Discovery" Facebook-group:
    I prefer a total absence of this almost autistic focus on canon or non-canon issues. It tires me. And frankly I believe it partially initiated the downfall of the Trek-franchise. I prefer focusing on good stories and good Roddenberry-esque messages, instead of this Canon nitpicking. Regarding Romulus? I hope they have FOUR pointy ears instead of two.

All I want to say is this: Let's not nitpick Star Trek to death. Let's not focuss too much on trivial issues like Klingons that don't look like they should look or Starfleet vessel designs that are not beautiful enough for our taste. It worries me a bit. To be honest, I like it that the "Discovery" creators put up a middle-finger to those people who expect something else.

Yesterday, I was also reading Bernd Schneider's blogs for "Star Trek: Discovery" on one of the world's biggest online Trek Encyclopedia's, Ex Astris Scientia. And I just want to hit this over-pressimistic Trekker. These older generation fans....IMO really hurt the franchise:
    http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/new-series.htm#20170619
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I couldn't be more excited for Discovery. I don't mind it's visual style. I think it looks slick. What I saw in the trailer reminds me of the Kelvin scenes from Star Trek 2009 which I thought was a great opening teaser. I also like the new Klingon designs. They look much more alien than what we saw in the 80's and 90's. Nothing I've seen about discovery urks me in a fanboyish way. I'm just so excited Trek will be on TV again. :-bd
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    I wasn't a big fan of the USS Voyager's ship design, but the stories were mostly interesting and entertaining, with a few truely memorable characters, The Doctor and Seven of Nine, to name my favorites. So this ship, the Discovery, is fine as it is. The idea for its overall shape is from the beginning of Star Trek and fixed up to look a bit more modern.

OK, the hull is not smooth, but so what, even in the Star Trek universe there are breakthroughs in technology and changes in style, so maybe the time is not yet ripe for a smooth starship.

I say, bring on September 24.
    Absolutely! Roll on September!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    edited June 2017 Posts: 4,312
    deleted.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    star-trek-discovery-captain-jason-isaacs-image-600x400.jpg
    Creasy47 wrote: »

OOOWH MY FUCKING GOD :-O. I am gay, and I get very very excited from this picture. Captain Lorca will be the most sexy captain ever.....if you ask me :-O!
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Lol, I'm not gay; my reaction is a tad different , however I'm very impressed. He's perfect for the role.
    I can't wait to see full pictures of the USS Discovery bridge :-)
    Just the sheer details of these uniforms, make me gasp for air :-P!
    TrekMovie_DSC_Uniform_Breakdown_21_6_17.png
    edited June 2017 Posts: 16,333
    With all those redshirt death's in Kirk's time it makes sense to anachronistically make Starfleet issue phaser proof vests. ;)
    Creasy47 wrote: »

He certainly looks the part doesn't he? Fantastic actor!
    http://ew.com/tv/2017/06/23/star-trek-discovery-rules/

Now this premise.......truly excites me. This is basically what I always wanted in "Star Trek". The looks of the new series will perhaps be more cinematic, more in line of J.J. Abrahms visual style (production design, CGI, cinematography). But there the parallels quickly come to a halt, as story-wise, character-wise "Discovery" probably will truly distance itself from the 'Abrahmsverse'. Instead we will see more complex storylines and 'human conflicts' within complex characters. Which makes sense in today's era of geopolitical populism. We need a Trek-show that digs better into conflicts which eventually bring about the best future. It's not the final destiny of "Star Trek" that should excite us, it's also the struggle, the difficult road, the exploration towards that possible Trek-like future. Please bring it on NOW.
    Make-It-So.png
    Great news albeit a bit spoiler-ific:

http://ew.com/tv/2017/06/26/star-trek-discovery-storyline/
    Here's a beautiful new poster for Discovery with a fantastic look at the USS Discovery which has received quite an overhaul since our original look. I love it even more.
    ohhix78xlg1jeg4hrpjc.jpg
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Murdock wrote: »
    Here's a beautiful new poster for Discovery with a fantastic look at the USS Discovery which has received quite an overhaul since our original look. I love it even more.
    ohhix78xlg1jeg4hrpjc.jpg

I love it! It feels so old school and that's awesome. I may have to use that as my wallpaper on my phone.
    ohhix78xlg1jeg4hrpjc.jpg

I love it! It feels so old school and that's awesome. I may have to use that as my wallpaper on my phone.

I agree completely. It quite lovely. What do you think @Gustav_Graves?
    edited July 2017 Posts: 16,333
    Phasers and Phaser Rifles revealed!
    http://trekcore.com/blog/2017/07/lock-and-load-new-discovery-phasers-revealed/

phaser.jpg

rifle.jpg

The Phasers are lovely and look like the TOS phasers with a Cage laser emitter barrel.
    I agree @Murdock . But for me, the most impressive feature is the actual ship, the USS Discovery NCC-1301, commanded by Captain Gabriel Lorca. Here's the ship in greater detail:

sdccdscplans-head2.jpg
    star-trek-discovery-sdcc-2017-1-750x480.jpg

And the USS Shenzhou NCC-1227, commanded by Captain Georgiou:
    ca3a8c1458a7e7b01e5f21df3a3c01f04056298f5d16c8c887f8c58e0f945f94.jpg
    Discovery_Ship1.png
    7f514dcf2d71f4e33a09d985e25c10fe779b5715d15485370c1c1657c5c7403f.jpg
    ohhix78xlg1jeg4hrpjc.jpg

Is it me? Or does the main part of the body of the Discovery bare a striking similarity to a Klingon Bird of Prey?!
    Broken record here, I hate the look of that ship
    Am I correct in thinking that something happens where these two ships are merged into one?
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 11,119
    talos7 wrote: »
    Am I correct in thinking that something happens where these two ships are merged into one?

What do you mean by that?

Ralph McQuarrie's Original design....
    mcquarrie-ship.jpg
    comic-con-2016-star-trek-discoverys-new-ship-might-be-based_6nua.640.jpg

.....which originally was based on this design from Bond production designer Ken Adam:
    _PlanetofTitansStudyModel.gif
    mcquarrie3jpg-387420_1280w.jpg

In short: I just adore the design of the USS Discovery. And I think it's 100 times better than this 'popcorn'-design, this muscle-design from the last three reboot Trek movies. That USS Enterprise is simply..........ugly:
    88386701_o.jpg
    I thought I read that there is an incident in the pilot where one or both ships are damaged. It may be that just the crews are combined.
    Still hideous