"Star Trek: Discovery" (CBS All Access/Netflix, 2017)

Comments

• edited May 2017 Posts: 11,119
    NEW TRAILER IS UP. A MINDBLOWING 2MIN AND 24SEC'S OF FOOTAGE :D

Lieutenant Saru (science officer on board the USS Discovery, a new alien species):
    WMp4XcG.jpg
    jhHimpS.jpg
    "My people were biologically detereminded for one purpose alone. To sense the coming of death...........And I sense it coming now!"

Thís quote will define the 'feel' from the 6th spin-off TV Series, "STAR TREK: DISCOVERY". I am thrilled to see it this September on Netflix. Moreover, season 1 will have not 13 but 15 episodes! :-O

By jolly, I like it already! Here you have more screencaps. For a TV Series it looks incredibly 'cinematic':
    P2tWhk4.jpg
    zwAXY7V.jpg
    uVfeWC8.jpg
    utGb3Hr.jpg
    LFFbsV2.jpg
    q6sxmtR.jpg

Mod Edit: Unwarranted content removed. Please think before posting.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 6,432
    star-trek-discovery-image-8-600x298.jpg
    One observation is that Discovery looks more like Kelvin Timeline Trek, it's got the JJ look notably the Klingons. Though the visuals looked fantastic
    For me the storyline needs to be Prime TimelineTrek and than you get me very happy. I think Lt. Saru's remark is to me more telling than the aesthetics. And his character alone could make "Star Trek: Discovery" more gritty and more serious than previous Trek-shows. He could become the 'Odo' of "Discovery".

BTW, I loveee the uniform designs. They have the darkblue colors of the "Enterprise"-uniforms but in essence have this wonderful tailor/slim fit appearance, like the uniforms in "The Next Generation".

Previous trailer I uploaded has been removed

Edited:
    Star Trek: Discovery Gets Season Order Increase, Companion Show
    http://www.cbr.com/star-trek-discovery-talking-trek/?utm_source=CBR-FB-B&utm_medium=Facebook-Distribution&utm_campaign=CBR-FB-B&view=list
    A show of faith
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    It looks so good it almost has me considering paying for CBS All Access... buuuttt I refuse to pay for a BS streaming service that I'll only use for one show.
    Thankfully it's on Netflix in the UK, I'll be able to stream it on 4K which is a added bonus.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    I don't think they have shown us the USS Discovery yet.
    It looks so good it almost has me considering paying for CBS All Access... buuuttt I refuse to pay for a BS streaming service that I'll only use for one show.

It's quite easy to install a VPN IP-Hide Programm, so you can watch European Netflix :)
    zebrafish wrote: »
    I don't think they have shown us the USS Discovery yet.

No, I think it's the USS Shenziou, led by Captain Georgiou (Michelle Yeoh). "Discovery" will certainly be a more darker, grittier Trek-spin-off. I mean, if Lt. Saru says this in the trailer. And I love it!:
    My people were biologically determined for one purpose alone. To sense the coming of death...........And I sense it coming noww
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Does anyone know the song playing in the background?
    Ufff, I have no clue. I actually didn't hear any song...

Previous trailer I uploaded has been removed

Edited:
    Star Trek: Discovery Gets Season Order Increase, Companion Show
    http://www.cbr.com/star-trek-discovery-talking-trek/?utm_source=CBR-FB-B&utm_medium=Facebook-Distribution&utm_campaign=CBR-FB-B&view=list
    A show of faith

Certainly looks promising!
    My Tears Are Becoming a Sea, by M83
    http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-05-18/whats-the-music-playing-over-the-new-star-trek-discovery-trailer

It's a good track
    My Tears Are Becoming a Sea, by M83
    http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-05-18/whats-the-music-playing-over-the-new-star-trek-discovery-trailer

It's a good track

Ahhh ok, I understand now. The Netflix trailer is slightly more flashier, whereas the larger CBS All Access trailer (2min 23sec) has more of a cinematic score attached to it, including a more Trek-like tune at the end.
    Here's the Netflix poster for "Star Trek: Discovery":

STAR_TREK_UK-small.jpg
    Cool poster
    I made my own Facebook banner. I am so so excited for this new TV Series:
    5fxqbMQ.jpg
    Me too been rewatching alot of Next Gen over the last few weeks, it will be great to have a new Trek show. Good banner I should try to make some Trek Posters with the graphic design software I have.
    Me too been rewatching alot of Next Gen over the last few weeks, it will be great to have a new Trek show. Good banner I should try to make some Trek Posters with the graphic design software I have.

Will you be rewatching "Deep Space Nine" too?

Still holding out for DS9 on HD though I don't think it will happen, I have Netflix which has all seven seasons of DS9 in SD.

Still holding out for DS9 on HD though I don't think it will happen, I have Netflix which has all seven seasons of DS9 in SD.

ds9_c.jpg
    Don't wait for it please, as it is confirmed that CBS/Paramount won't release "Voyager" and "DS9" on BluRay. Watch it ASAP on Netflix. “STAR TREK: DEEP SPACE NINE” is the smartest Trek-spin-off so far. Whereas "TNG" and "VOY" all have a more standalone episode approach, "DS9" is the one with an ongoing narrative/storyline throughout 7 seasons. It engages in exploration and political conflicts in a way that later "Battlestar Galactica" and "The Expanse" did/do and what "Star Trek: Discovery" will most likely do as well.

If you start with it, the first two seasons are perhaps a bit....hard to sit through (the same with "TNG" by the way). So I advise you to follow this episode guide I created:

SEASON 1: Start with the series-opener “Emissary, Parts I & II”, which has an important guest role of Captain Jean-Luc Picard. The historical background story of Commander Sisko is the Borg attack at Wolf 359.
    SEASON 1: Skip the rest of the season and start watching the last three episodes, which in essence is the season-finale; “Duet / In The Hands Of The Profets
    SEASON 6 of "Star Trek: The Next Generation": I know, it's a bit of a detour, but only watch the two-parter "Birthright Parts I & II". A very nice cross-over episode that gets you in the DS9-mood.
    SEASON 2: Continue with the three-parter, season-opener “The Homecoming / The Circle / The Siege”, which is a great 130 mins that takes an in-depth look at First Officer's Kira Nerys' people, the Bajorans. Frank Langella has a wonderful role in this 'TV-Movie'.
    SEASON 2: Also watch the mid-season two-parter "The Maquis, Parts I & II", which touches the motivations of various terrorist cells in today's geopolitical world.
    SEASON 2: The season-finale is in essence a three-parter as well, the three episodes “The Collaborator / Tribunal / The Jem’Hadar”. You'll be on the edge of your seat when First Contact is made with The Jem'Hadar in the Gamma Quadrant.
    SEASON 3: After this you basically start watching all episodes. Beginning with season 3 opener "The Search, Parts I & II".
    ● Then keep watching everything until the SEASON 7 finale "What You Leave Behind, Parts I & II". You will love it :-)!!

Obviously, if you like you can watch all seasons, including the full seasons 1 and 2. But that's up to you :-).

latest?cb=20060430034028&path-prefix=en
    ds9cast-s7.jpg

Here is the full episode guide:
    "STAR TREK: DEEP SPACE NINE": Episode Guide (Ex Astris Scientia)
    "STAR TREK: DEEP SPACE NINE": Episode Guide (Wikipedia)

Ooowh, and to make the transition between "The Next Generation" and "Deep Space Nine" a bit smoother, here are some great cross-over scenes from "The Emissary Parts I & II" :-):

And the wonderful title theme music by Dennis McCarthy:

ds9_c.jpg
    Don't wait for it please, as it is confirmed that CBS/Paramount won't release "Voyager" and "DS9" on BluRay. Watch it ASAP on Netflix. “STAR TREK: DEEP SPACE NINE” is the smartest Trek-spin-off so far. Whereas "TNG" and "VOY" all have a more standalone episode approach, "DS9" is the one with an ongoing narrative/storyline throughout 7 seasons. It engages in exploration and political conflicts in a way that later "Battlestar Galactica" and "The Expanse" did/do and what "Star Trek: Discovery" will most likely do as well.

If you start with it, the first two seasons are perhaps a bit....hard to sit through (the same with "TNG" by the way). So I advise you to follow this episode guide I created:

SEASON 1: Start with the series-opener “Emissary, Parts I & II”, which has an important guest role of Captain Jean-Luc Picard. The historical background story of Commander Sisko is the Borg attack at Wolf 359.
    SEASON 1: Skip the rest of the season and start watching the last three episodes, which in essence is the season-finale; “Duet / In The Hands Of The Profets
    SEASON 6 of "Star Trek: The Next Generation": I know, it's a bit of a detour, but only watch the two-parter "Birthright Parts I & II". A very nice cross-over episode that gets you in the DS9-mood.
    SEASON 2: Continue with the three-parter, season-opener “The Homecoming / The Circle / The Siege”, which is a great 130 mins that takes an in-depth look at First Officer's Kira Nerys' people, the Bajorans. Frank Langella has a wonderful role in this 'TV-Movie'.
    SEASON 2: Also watch the mid-season two-parter "The Maquis, Parts I & II", which touches the motivations of various terrorist cells in today's geopolitical world.
    SEASON 2: The season-finale is in essence a three-parter as well, the three episodes “The Collaborator / Tribunal / The Jem’Hadar”. You'll be on the edge of your seat when First Contact is made with The Jem'Hadar in the Gamma Quadrant.
    SEASON 3: After this you basically start watching all episodes. Beginning with season 3 opener "The Search, Parts I & II".
    ● Then keep watching everything until the SEASON 7 finale "What You Leave Behind, Parts I & II". You will love it :-)!!

Obviously, if you like you can watch all seasons, including the full seasons 1 and 2. But that's up to you :-).

latest?cb=20060430034028&path-prefix=en
    ds9cast-s7.jpg

Here is the full episode guide:
    "STAR TREK: DEEP SPACE NINE": Episode Guide (Ex Astris Scientia)
    "STAR TREK: DEEP SPACE NINE": Episode Guide (Wikipedia)

Ooowh, and to make the transition between "The Next Generation" and "Deep Space Nine" a bit smoother, here are some great cross-over scenes from "The Emissary Parts I & II" :-):

And the wonderful title theme music by Dennis McCarthy:

I watched all the DS9 episodes when they were first aired, I had all the episodes on VHS also so watched the episodes numerous times, my next rewatch will be a full marathon. I live in hope Paramount will change there minds.
    Start the marathon nowww ;-)
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'm so looking forward to this. I've been rewatching TOS lately. I'm excited.
    I know I sound like a complete Ignoramus here as I stopped following the tv series after the end of DS9 and I have only watched the subsequent movies when I had nothing else to do so forgive my question but how is this series in relation to the new movies continuity?
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I know I sound like a complete Ignoramus here as I stopped following the tv series after the end of DS9 and I have only watched the subsequent movies when I had nothing else to do so forgive my question but how is this series in relation to the new movies continuity?

It takes place in the original timeline.

http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/761665-new-star-trek-discovery-details-reveal-timeline-names-more

"the the series will take place in the Prime (William Shatner) timeline as opposed to the Kelvin (Chris Pine) timeline to avoid conflict with future movies."
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Props from 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' have been shown to the public in anticipation for 'Star Trek: Discovery':

http://collider.com/star-trek-the-next-generation-props-images/
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Props from 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' have been shown to the public in anticipation for 'Star Trek: Discovery':

OMG, this is so insanely cute :D! Thanks for the link @Creasy47 ;-). Perhaps....perHAPSSS....you'll give "Star Trek: Discovery" a chance after all hehe :-P.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

OMG, this is so insanely cute :D! Thanks for the link @Creasy47 ;-). Perhaps....perHAPSSS....you'll give "Star Trek: Discovery" a chance after all hehe :-P.

It's unlikely, the series just isn't for me unfortunately. The trailer I saw didn't look too bad, though.

It's unlikely, the series just isn't for me unfortunately. The trailer I saw didn't look too bad, though.

Pleaseeeee. Please skip that ice-hockey nerdiness for a while ;-).