"Star Trek: Discovery" (CBS All Access/Netflix, 2017)

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Hmmm....
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 6,432

Go to 06:35 for rumoured ship details, potential spoilers...
    Would still love to see Isaac's in a Bond film in some villainous role.
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Would still love to see Isaac's in a Bond film in some villainous role.

He was great in the second Harry Potter film, he is good at understated villainy.

edited March 2017 Posts: 17
    Well I am not really looking forward to the new Trek, I just wish they would make an actual sequel to DS9/Voy but alas, I guess Star Trek Online is the only thing close to a sequel I will get.
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 6,432
    Recently started playing Star Trek Online it's good, it would be good to see more of the post Dominion War Trek universe. Though I remember reading sometime ago Discovery as a show may bounce along the Trek Timeline, with different crews in different era's with different stories.
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 11,119
    @fire_and_ice , I think it's important to re-quote co-creator and writer of "Star Trek: Discovery", Nicholas Meyer ("Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan", "Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home", "Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country"):
    "The new Star Trek TV-series will take place in the Prime/Standard Timeline (William Shatner) as opposed to the Kelvin/Alternate Timeline (Chris Pine) to avoid conflict with future movies"
    startrek-timeline.jpg

This is important, as it makes it easier to at least refer to previous Star Trek TV-Series. One could imagine a short reference mentioning some events from theese TV-Series. A time travel episode could also feature at least a particular storyline or character from "Star Trek: Enterprise", "Star Trek: The Original Series", "Star Trek: The Next Generation", "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" and "Star Trek: Voyager". Not to mention a cross-over episode.

It is also important to note that "Star Trek: Discovery" takes place 10 years before the events of "Star Trek: The Original Series", which would be around the year 2255:
    Star-Trek-Timelines.jpg

This is actually an important picture! It shows that the rumours about the USS Shenzhou (Captain Georgiou, played by Malaysian/Chinese actress Michelle Yeoh) are not entirely true. It was said that Captain Georgiou's (Michelle Yeoh) crew was having a cameo appearance in the pilot that sets of the entire storyline, similar to the USS Kelvin incident in the 2009 film "Star Trek".

But since Michelle Yeoh and her fellow actors are having this get-together on the above picture, it could indicate that both the USS Discovery (Captain Lorca, played by British actor Jason Isaacs) and the USS Shenzhou (Captain Georgiou, played by Malaysian/Chinese actress Michelle Yeoh) will appear throughout the season and the actual series. I mean, why bothering teaming up this way, if part of the actors only appear in the first pilot episode. Very very interesting indeed!

Then a very very important update. A release update!!

It is now confirmed that "Star Trek: Discovery" will premiere this year. Leslie Moonves, the chairman, president and CEO of CBS, revealed the release window today during an investors call (via Deadline), saying that the highly anticipated new series will debut in the “late summer” or “early fall” of 2017!!:
    http://www.slashfilm.com/star-trek-discovery-release/

Moonves:
    "It’s important to get it right, and Star Trek is the family jewels. We’re not going to rush it in. There’s a lot of post-production. But I’m very confident based on what I’ve seen so far."
    Anyone like to weigh in on this ;-)?
    The cast they continue to add gets me more and more excited for this! Just started watching the remastered TNG, too! It's interesting to see it with a different set of eyes than those of a 10 year old who 30 years ago wasn't eager to see Kirk replaced!
    TNG remastered with new effects really enhances a already great show, I was 13 when TNG first aired, having watched the original series on countless reruns I was apprehensive about TNG. Thankfully it was good and with season 3 became great.
    TNG remastered with new effects really enhances a already great show, I was 13 when TNG first aired, having watched the original series on countless reruns I was apprehensive about TNG. Thankfully it was good and with season 3 became great.

Yeah, we've only finished the first three episodes so far and I can't wait till we get to season 3! Code of Honour was the last one we saw and the IMDB trivia said it was voted the second worst episode of the entire franchise in 2016, so I'm glad the worst is behind us!
    JET007 wrote: »

Yeah, we've only finished the first three episodes so far and I can't wait till we get to season 3! Code of Honour was the last one we saw and the IMDB trivia said it was voted the second worst episode of the entire franchise in 2016, so I'm glad the worst is behind us!

Difficult to argue with reviews of Code of Honor the writing is not good, it's quite an offensive episode. There are a couple of gems in the first 2 seasons, Encounter at Farpoint is a good opener, Where No One Has Gone Before, Data Lore, Heart of Glory, Where Silence Has Lease,
    Elementary, Dear Data and Measure of a Man are good. Measure of a Man in my Top five greatest episodes. Are you watching the shows on Netflix?

Difficult to argue with reviews of Code of Honor the writing is not good, it's quite an offensive episode. There are a couple of gems in the first 2 seasons, Encounter at Farpoint is a good opener, Where No One Has Gone Before, Data Lore, Heart of Glory, Where Silence Has Lease,
    Elementary, Dear Data and Measure of a Man are good. Measure of a Man in my Top five greatest episodes. Are you watching the shows on Netflix?

Just watched The Last Outpost and Where No One Has Gone Before last night. I utilized some gift cards and got the complete remastered series box set on Blu-Ray! Being a bigger fan of TOS, I'm rewatching some of these for the first time and it's interesting to see what I remember and just how much I forgot. The Ferengi episode was surprising in how much they change by DS9 and the music seems like it's trying to be TOS, but with an 80's electric keyboard twist.

• edited April 2017 Posts: 6,432
    I have ToS on Bluray and the DVDs of Next Gen, been toying with idea of buying Next Gen on Bluray though as all episodes are on Netflix held off. Saying that I still would like the boxset, digital copies are convenient though I like my boxsets. Currently working my way through season 1 of ToS just watched Space Seed, the rewatchability of the original series is unmatched IMO.

Just watching Voyage Home on my 4K TV the Vulcan scenes look amazing upscaled.
    There are some great special features on the TNG box set that were newly produced for the blu, like a reunion of the cast, not to mention they carried over the VAM from the old dvd box sets, so you wouldn't be losing the old special features if you upgrade. I finally have on blu all 3 seasons of TOS, complete box sets for TNG and ENT, and the TOS and TNG movie box sets from a few years ago. The movie transfers aren't the best, but the new TWOK looks great. In terms of picture for the tv shows, ENT looks the worst as it was made in 720p, with TOS being pretty good and TNG excellent. Honestly, I can't imagine a 50 year old show looking better than it does now. Are you watching the original broadcast version of TOS or the ones with new cgi effects? We finished TOS maybe two months ago now and yeah, so much fun!
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    With ToS the special editions had new effects; with TNG, I believe they just re composited the original effects elements.
    Correct.
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 6,432
    JET007 wrote: »
    There are some great special features on the TNG box set that were newly produced for the blu, like a reunion of the cast, not to mention they carried over the VAM from the old dvd box sets, so you wouldn't be losing the old special features if you upgrade. I finally have on blu all 3 seasons of TOS, complete box sets for TNG and ENT, and the TOS and TNG movie box sets from a few years ago. The movie transfers aren't the best, but the new TWOK looks great. In terms of picture for the tv shows, ENT looks the worst as it was made in 720p, with TOS being pretty good and TNG excellent. Honestly, I can't imagine a 50 year old show looking better than it does now. Are you watching the original broadcast version of TOS or the ones with new cgi effects? We finished TOS maybe two months ago now and yeah, so much fun!

Noticed the Next Gen Bluray boxset has dropped in price, I do like the extras and commentaries have you seen any of the Trek documentary films like Chaos on the Bridge and For the Love of Spock both excellent.

Had the ToS Blurays for a few years I tend the watch the new effects episodes, they look authentic for the time period I pretty much accept the new effects shows as the definitive versions now.

I have about three versions of most of the movies on dvd and Bluray, I have four copies of Khan the remastered version with additional footage on Bluray looks very good.
    talos7 wrote: »
    With ToS the special editions had new effects; with TNG, I believe they just re composited the original effects elements.

The picture quality on most of TNG looks fantastic as do the tweaked effects, effects have been added too the set definitely worth getting or rewatching.

I've seen Chaos, but still need to catch For The Love. Glad to hear it's excellent!
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    My favourite episodes from TNG season one are:

Where No Man Has Gone Before, The Big Goodbye, Datalore, 11001001, Coming Of Age, Heart Of Glory, We’ll Always Have Paris, Conspiracy

I know Measure Of A Man is supposed to be a "masterpiece" but except for its important message I don't see it. It's rather dull and quite annoying in places, the extended version is slightly better I'd say.

As for the new Trek series I am grateful there will be a new TV show. But that's all really at this point. The show will stand and fall with the scripts.
    Sci-fi (space, starships) has never become a genre watched by a great many. There are some very, very, very few that made it, like Babylon 5, Stargate, Star Trek TOS to VOY, I'd even count Enterprise.
    Some rather short lived have become cult classics like Firefly, Battlestar Galactica (the original), Space 1999 and a few more.

I would have liked to see a more teen/young adult oriented Star Trek Academy series that was in the talks several time.
    Discovery sound too much like Voyager already.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Now now, We haven't seen any footage yet. Despite what it sounds like, It could very much blow us away. Count me in the optimistic camp.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    The first image for Star Trek: Discovery! Many are comparing it to Rey in Star Wars The Force Awakens but I call B.S. Sorry but I didn't think that when I first saw the picture. That is desert gear not Star Wars.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-first-picture-from-star-trek-discovery-explores-st-1795290281
    The first image for Star Trek: Discovery! Many are comparing it to Rey in Star Wars The Force Awakens but I call B.S. Sorry but I didn't think that when I first saw the picture. That is desert gear not Star Wars.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-first-picture-from-star-trek-discovery-explores-st-1795290281

I like the shot I would not say it looks like TFA as the shot looks like Star Trek, they could be easily on Vulcan.
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D!!!!!!
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    For anyone who doesn't want to click on the link to see the picture.
    110045_0440b511.jpg?crop=0px%2C0px%2C2700px%2C1799.55px&resize=2000%2C1333&ssl=1
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    There is a thunderstorm coming and I bet that tunic is not water-repellant. Two to beam up - energize!
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 6,432
    Trailer has beamed up!

Well I am impressed