"Star Trek: Discovery" (CBS All Access/Netflix, 2017)

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Murdock wrote: »

As much as I'd like to keep watching Discovery, I'm happy I have The Orville to fall back on. It's episodes are getting better each week. Their morality play episode was really well done and really reminded me of TNG. :-bd

Orville looks good. Discovery looks terrible. I need to SEE the shows. All Access is fuzzy access...
  • I don't get the fuzz so much. "WestWorld" is on pay channel HBO. HBO in Europe always costs a bit 9f money. It's always part of a plus package that'll cost you €10 or more. Same with "Game Of Thrones". "Stranger Things" is on pay streaming service Netflix. And guys have you heard the news? Next year Disney will launch its own streaming service, so Netflix, Hulu and Amazon need to compete with this insane money launderer.

So all the criticism aimed at both "Star Trek: Discovery" and CBS is pretty unfair. Let's not forget that "Star Trek: The Next Generation" was one of the first TV Series premiering on syndication TV. Which was equally new.

Then, pssst guys, are you all such sweethearts by never......downloading movies or TV Series? I'm already paying shit load of money for my James Bond collection, Bond steelbooks, special edition BluRays and my Orange LiveBox that is both TV, fiber internet and phone. So I think I'm entitled to download TV Series via a torrent every now and then. I did that with "Fargo", "The Expanse", "Better Call Saul" and I will do it again for "Star Trek: Discovery". Oowh and CBS is even more happy with me, because next year I will also buy the series on BluRay! Since I collect Star Trek as well!

Regarding "The Orville". I saw the first two episodes now. I can't believe people are raving about this, especially when compared to "Discovery". The latter currently gets great reviews on RottenTomatoes and MetaCritic.

So guys and girls? PM me if you like to watch "Star Trek: Discovery" every week. I might be of help ;-).
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I had to stop paying for cable recently as the bill for it was getting out of hand. It's not just CBS but streaming services in general. It's basically the television equivilant to DLC. I don't even subscribe to netflix. I just go to a library to rent stuff i want to see. So my criticism isn't to Discovery itself. I think the solution I mentioned would be a better business model. For people who sub to CBS All access get to see Discovery early while people who don't have to wait a week to see it. I think that is a logical and fair trade off.

And I don't think advocating piracy to justify watching Discovery is a good idea.
  • Murdock wrote: »
    I had to stop paying for cable recently as the bill for it was getting out of hand. It's not just CBS but streaming services in general. It's basically the television equivilant to DLC. I don't even subscribe to netflix. I just go to a library to rent stuff i want to see. So my criticism isn't to Discovery itself. I think the solution I mentioned would be a better business model. For people who sub to CBS All access get to see Discovery early while people who don't have to wait a week to see it. I think that is a logical and fair trade off.

And I don't think advocating piracy to justify watching Discovery is a good idea.

Well, that's your opinion off course. I think it's not entirely fair to paint me solely as a 'download pirate' when I already pay hefty sums of money for entertainment. I think you're also a bit naive about business models. The business models you're talking about are basically obsolete. They don't make money, so shows on old TV formats usually don't stand. A lot of chance in today's streaming environment. "The Orville" for instance has already been moved to Thursday evenings, which is pretty negative. Meaning that this series won't last long.

Also, here in Spain you can buy vouchers to see only one month of streaming. It's as if you buy a cheap monthly cinema ticket. In any case, I urge you to find alternative ways to watch your beloved "Star Trek".

Well, that's your opinion off course. I think it's not entirely fair to paint me solely as a 'download pirate' when I already pay hefty sums of money for entertainment. I think you're also a bit naive about business models. The business models you're talking about are basically obsolete. They don't make money, so shows on old TV formats usually don't stand. A lot of chance in today's streaming environment. "The Orville" for instance has already been moved to Thursday evenings, which is pretty negative. Meaning that this series won't last long.

Also, here in Spain you can buy vouchers to see only one month of streaming. It's as if you buy a cheap monthly cinema ticket. In any case, I urge you to find alternative ways to watch your beloved "Star Trek".

I never called you a pirate now did I. I just said, advocating piracy publicly isn't exactly a good idea. What we do in our own time is our own business. As for business models, I don't see what's naive about my idea at all. I think having to buy a steaming service just to watch a show is naive. At least my idea makes it fair for everyone.

The Orville being moved to Thursday is great because the second week it aired on Sunday football went into overtime and made viewers wait 45 minutes extra. That's not negative, that's smart. On Thursdays, viewers won't have to worry about football going into overtime and delaying the show any longer.
  • Murdock wrote: »

I never called you a pirate now did I. I just said, advocating piracy publicly isn't exactly a good idea. What we do in our own time is our own business. As for business models, I don't see what's naive about my idea at all. I think having to buy a steaming service just to watch a show is naive. At least my idea makes it fair for everyone.

The Orville being moved to Thursday is great because the second week it aired on Sunday football went into overtime and made viewers wait 45 minutes extra. That's not negative, that's smart. On Thursdays, viewers won't have to worry about football going into overtime and delaying the show any longer.

It's not smart @Murdock regarding "The Orville". It might be convenient for you. But I'm talking about the bigger picture here, not your convenience. "The Orville" lost a tremendous amount of viewers, because a Sunday is more lucrative anyway.

Regarding business models.....buying streaming service A, B and C might, again, be less convenient for you. Hey, it's even more costly for you. But this is how the new TV business works these days. Plenty of other people who like "streaming shopping" and cancel Netflix for a moment to try and see what HBO, Hulu, Amazon Prime or, indeed CBS All Access, has to offer them. That's the new business model. If you like it or not.

Anyway I think you are a very neat boy. I didn't want to sound bad or anything :-). And I do understand that some people don't have the money to pay for certain things.

It's not smart @Murdock regarding "The Orville". It might be convenient for you. But I'm talking about the bigger picture here, not your convenience. "The Orville" lost a tremendous amount of viewers, because a Sunday is more lucrative anyway.

Regarding business models.....buying streaming service A, B and C might, again, be less convenient for you. Hey, it's even more costly for you. But this is how the new TV business works these days. Plenty of other people who like "streaming shopping" and cancel Netflix for a moment to try and see what HBO, Hulu, Amazon Prime or, indeed CBS All Access, has to offer them. That's the new business model. If you like it or not.

Anyway I think you are a very neat boy. I didn't want to sound bad or anything :-). And I do understand that some people don't have the money to pay for certain things.

Well in any case, It's not convenient for just "me." I'm sure there are many who feel better with that change. Just because this business model is new and works for some doesn't mean it works for everyone. If companies want to do that fine. That's their choice. I'll just wait for the DVD's when they come. It's no skin off my back. I'll be pretty occupied next month anyway. My most anticipated game of the decade is coming out and I'll probably be gone a long time. Even here...maybe, we'll :)) I don't think you sound bad at all. Different strokes I suppose. No harm done.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,263
    The first two episodes have dropped on UK Netflix will have to watch tonight after work, scrolled through the thread fast in case of spoilers.

Edited: I know this is the pilot it has good moments though found it clunky and the script jarring. Rolling my eyes way too much during this two parter, feels like a fan made show also not keen on the production design... I know early days

The last scene has left me intrigued though...
    I have no real problem with the show (other than the strange choice for Klingon makeup design), I just can't see the show clearly on All Access. Netflix comes in clear as a bell. Oh, and that irritatingly big CBS logo onscreen.... I'll get a hard copy later....
    Saw the first episode on CBS...which was late since 60 Min ran late. The advertised 7:30 premiere started at 7:50. As I only saw the first episode which ended weird, I can't really judge it, other than to say it certainly looked expensive and communicating on sub space seemed more Star WARS than Star TREK.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Finally looked up the price, is it $5.99 a month? Sure they don't have nearly as much content as Netflix/HBO/Hulu (which are pricier, but as I said, much more original content to choose from), but that seems to be a justifiable price just for one show, if you're really into it. I was paying $14.99 a month for HBO Now just so I could watch Westworld live and in HD.

I'm sure it rubs the fans the wrong way, but at least you aren't forced to subscribe if you're patient enough to wait a few months.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I have no real problem with the show (other than the strange choice for Klingon makeup design), I just can't see the show clearly on All Access. Netflix comes in clear as a bell. Oh, and that irritatingly big CBS logo onscreen.... I'll get a hard copy later....

Interesting UK Netflix the picture was temperamental like the picture setting were constantly changed early in the pilot, I have multiple devices with Netflix did the same on each device. When I looked at footage on Youtube it was very sharp and clear picture, it's like UK Netflix were given a shoddy version to stream.

Giving the pilot a second watch

Interesting UK Netflix the picture was temperamental like the picture setting were constantly changed early in the pilot, I have multiple devices with Netflix did the same on each device. When I looked at footage on Youtube it was very sharp and clear picture, it's like UK Netflix were given a shoddy version to stream.

I think it's not streaming in HD to thwart piracy. But then we suffer for this decision.

I think it's not streaming in HD to thwart piracy. But then we suffer for this decision.

I am watching it again now it's shifting picture at exactly the same points, it's advertised as HD though I was expecting 4K though I may have misread a article months ago. I checked to see if it was a stream issue with connection though every other show i checked was ok. I'll follow suit and buy it on Blu-ray
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Who has seen it, how was it? Spoiler-free reviews, please!
    zebrafish wrote: »
    Who has seen it, how was it? Spoiler-free reviews, please!

It was very ambitious, pretty well acted and well produced. Reminded me of how I perceived Enterprise when it debuted.
    The first episode showed a lush and very detailed sets for Star Trek, the original series almost look bland in comparison. The show has beautiful designs and scenery. A pleasure to look at. As a show it invites me to look again to the next episodes.

And Nice to have Star Trek back on our screens, the series are a welcome break from the cinema show.
    Enjoyed Discovery more on second watch, noticed alot of Trek references
  • Personally I am very excited about this new "Star Trek"-spinoff. But since this new iteration will be heavily serialized, just like one of its predecessors "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine", I have organized a binge-watch event on November 11th where we're going to watch all first 8 episodes. Because on November 6th all first episodes will have premiered :-):

Nutlpsq.jpg
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I really enjoyed it, and I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    More to drool over:

• zebrafish wrote: »
    More to drool over:

drooling-303313_960_720.png
    Just watched The Orville 3rd ep, and wow it was great. Not a show by committee but a vision by fans. Watch it folks, for it is becoming a quality show, and as all quality shows on FOX it will not last...
    Just watched The Orville 3rd ep, and wow it was great. Not a show by committee but a vision by fans. Watch it folks, for it is becoming a quality show, and as all quality shows on FOX it will not last...

Is Orville better than STD (CBS did not think that abbreviation through), Orville not available in the UK as yet.

Is Orville better than STD (CBS did not think that abbreviation through), Orville not available in the UK as yet.

STD is about War so far, Orville is about exploring ideas with a sense of humour.....
    Agreed. Having watched The Orville's forth episode an hour ago, It was great. It has that nice blend between humor and serious issues. It reminds me a lot of TOS in that, it's cast feels like today's humans exploring today's topics in an optimistic Utopian version of the future, much like how The Original Series felt like people of the 1960's exploring their issues the same way. There's a hopefulness. I didn't feel that with Discovery. It felt like Star Trek Into Darkness 2. The world felt dour and dystopian. It didn't feel like a world I'd want to live in unlike TOS, TNG and The Orville.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 2,107
    Just watched the first two episodes of Discovery. I see what they did there. They made Star Trek more mainstream , like the new movies.

As non-trekkie, I can appreciate that. Sad to see Michelle Yeoh depart so soon. Well I hope Jason Isaac will make a good captain.

Is Michael the first transgender vulcan?
    SharkBait wrote: »
    She's a human raised by Vulcan's brought up the Vulcan way.

A few YouTube channels suggested because of her name that Michael was transgendered, there no official comment as far as I am aware.
    A few YouTube channels suggested because of her name that Michael was transgendered, there no official comment as far as I am aware.

Nothing has been confirmed as of yet. I wouldn't be surprised if they take that route though.