Last TV Show You Watched?

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    One Foot In The Algarve
    The 1993 christmas special of One Foot In The Grave. The change of scenery makes this no less a classic One Foot... episode. Comedy legend Peter Cook guest starts as dogged pap, Martin Trout, who goes through hell to reclaim a missing roll of film.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,395
    latest?cb=20171204015133&path-prefix=fr

CRISIS On Earth -X Arrow Verse CW crossover, had some drama though as a DC fan when it was good this was great TV.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    CRISIS On Earth -X Arrow Verse CW crossover, had some drama though as a DC fan when it was good this was great TV.
    Yeah, it was nicely done all right. Watched it right after I went out to see Justice League... DC overload... ;)

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Yeah, it was nicely done all right. Watched it right after I went out to see Justice League... DC overload... ;)

It was frantic at times though some good DC references, really enjoyed it watched it one go.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 3,333
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    bondsum wrote: »
    The Punisher, Godless, and season two's Stranger Things, have all been sub-par for me. The only exception has been Season 3's Narcos, truly magnificent stuff.

Season three was the weakest of the three for me, but still incredible. I'm guessing they'll make the transition to the Mexico cartels come season four, now that Pablo and Cali are out.
    It's certainly different without Pablo Escobar, but I found the high-tension, double-crossing and cartel transition in the third season truly gripping stuff. Alas, I wasn't gripped by the other three shows I mentioned... and to think DD made me a huge fan of the new Punisher, and yet he didn't get to don his favourite skull T-shirt and do that much punishing. Certainly not as much as he got to do in DD2.

Godless had too much of a PC filter on it for my own tastes. The sort of western that doesn't want to offend anyone apart from the Mormons. Veteran screenwriter Scott Frank mustn't care that much for their brand of religion, I'm willing to guess.

I got through nearly two episodes before I had to call it quits. The PC level was at a high in this one, which I don't remotely care to see in an 1884-set western. Pacing was all over the place, too, and it seemed to linger more on what I felt were supporting characters rather than the main cast. Maybe that changes in later episodes, but I don't care enough to find out. On to a different show now.
    Sorry, just seen your post @Creasy47. Totally agree, but I persevered until the very end. It certainly doesn't get much better, there's an absurd shoot 'em up at the climax, but I won't spoil it in case anyone still hasn't seen it.

Also, I've just worked out why Dragged Across Concrete has got such a low rating on IMdB even before it's been released. It's due to the movie starring Mel Gibson. It seems that there's some sort of hate campaign going on against the actor, because his other movie The Professor and the Madman has a similar negative scoring. Very odd when you consider how Mark Wahlberg's past transgressions have been overlooked and forgiven. And they were far worse than anything Mel Gibson ever said or did.

On another more positive note, there's a third season of Gomorrah now available. If you haven't seen this, it's an absolute must see.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The Punisher, Godless, and season two's Stranger Things, have all been sub-par for me. The only exception has been Season 3's Narcos, truly magnificent stuff.

Season three was the weakest of the three for me, but still incredible. I'm guessing they'll make the transition to the Mexico cartels come season four, now that Pablo and Cali are out.
    It's certainly different without Pablo Escobar, but I found the high-tension, double-crossing and cartel transition in the third season truly gripping stuff. Alas, I wasn't gripped by the other three shows I mentioned... and to think DD made me a huge fan of the new Punisher, and yet he didn't get to don his favourite skull T-shirt and do that much punishing. Certainly not as much as he got to do in DD2.

Godless had too much of a PC filter on it for my own tastes. The sort of western that doesn't want to offend anyone apart from the Mormons. Veteran screenwriter Scott Frank mustn't care that much for their brand of religion, I'm willing to guess.

I got through nearly two episodes before I had to call it quits. The PC level was at a high in this one, which I don't remotely care to see in an 1884-set western. Pacing was all over the place, too, and it seemed to linger more on what I felt were supporting characters rather than the main cast. Maybe that changes in later episodes, but I don't care enough to find out. On to a different show now.
    Sorry, just seen your post @Creasy47. Totally agree, but I persevered until the very end. It certainly doesn't get much better, there's an absurd shoot 'em up at the climax, but I won't spoil it in case anyone still hasn't seen it.

Also, I've just worked out why Dragged Across Concrete has got such a low rating on IMdB even before it's been released. It's due to the movie starring Mel Gibson. It seems that there's some sort of hate campaign going on against the actor, because his other movie The Professor and the Madman has a similar negative scoring. Very odd when you consider how Mark Wahlberg's past transgressions have been overlooked and forgiven. And they were far worse than anything Mel Gibson ever said or did.

On another more positive note, there's a third season of Gomorrah now available. If you haven't seen this, it's an absolute must see.

There it is, figured there'd be some troll-esque/politicized reason behind its lower rating. Thankfully it doesn't seem that anyone takes those IMDB ratings seriously.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Doctor Who: Terror Of The Zygons
    1436928374473855782.jpg
    Episode 1 must have one of the few examples of a double cliffhanger. And like the Cybermen, the classic version of the Zygons are better.
    Ash vs Evil Dead

My favorite show in a long time. Direct continuation from the movies, it respects what has come before and it is darn funny.

Bruce Campbell is the man.
  • SharkBait wrote: »
    Ash vs Evil Dead

My favorite show in a long time. Direct continuation from the movies, it respects what has come before and it is darn funny.

Bruce Campbell is the man.

Loved season one. Season two lost me completely. Didn't get more than three episodes in before I bailed.
  • I liked both seasons- what kills me is that I bought season 2 on steelbook but missed season 1. I reach levels of OCD that shouldn’t be possible!!

Season 1 goes for freaking $200 or more on eBay
  • I liked both seasons- what kills me is that I bought season 2 on steelbook but missed season 1. I reach levels of OCD that shouldn’t be possible!!

The distinction between fandom and OCD is often negligible.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I liked both seasons- what kills me is that I bought season 2 on steelbook but missed season 1. I reach levels of OCD that shouldn’t be possible!!

*whistles* ridiculous, isn't it? What's even worse is owning something like that, selling it, and THEN it goes out of stock and gets a ridiculous price gouge on eBay. Happened to me with that Friday the 13th blu-ray tin set.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    1436928374473855782.jpg
    Episode 1 must have one of the few examples of a double cliffhanger. And like the Cybermen, the classic version of the Zygons are better.

Hear! Hear! And the Zygons are so well realised from the beginning. A cracking Tom Baker story, great fun. Must re-watch again sometime soon.
    I'm about halfway through Season 3 of Gomorrah, the excellent Italian crime show that I've been advocating here since 2014. This show is one of the best things currently on TV, right now... if not the best!!

gomorra-la-serie-gomorrah-series-english-subtitles-56f6.jpg
    Just to point out, Remington Steele didn’t have the Bond act in Brosnan. It had a mixture of Sir Charles Lytton and Inspector Clouseau in him. I don’t recall Brosnan’s Bond being goofy, clumsy and comical.

Well said. In an interview Pierce once pointed out that he played Remington as basically a puppet held by a string from the top of the head. He also added some of his own goofiness.
    His character was also a film buff and would quote dialogue and relate situations he was in to the likes of Bogart, Clark Gable, etc. One early episode is an homage to The Maltese Falcon in which Pierce does a deliberate Bogart impression throughout. It's pretty funny.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited December 2017 Posts: 15,423
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Just to point out, Remington Steele didn’t have the Bond act in Brosnan. It had a mixture of Sir Charles Lytton and Inspector Clouseau in him. I don’t recall Brosnan’s Bond being goofy, clumsy and comical.

Well said. In an interview Pierce once pointed out that he played Remington as basically a puppet held by a string from the top of the head. He also added some of his own goofiness.
    His character was also a film buff and would quote dialogue and relate situations he was in to the likes of Bogart, Clark Gable, etc. One early episode is an homage to The Maltese Falcon in which Pierce does a deliberate Bogart impression throughout. It's pretty funny.
    Indeed, he'd even list the studios that distributed them. Goldfinger got a mention by the third season, I believe, when he and Miss Holt (Stephanie Zimbalist) sneak up on a yacht at night emerging from the sea and reveal formal dinner clothes (Brosnan's being a white dinner jacket) underneath their scuba-suit.

One of the funnier things was in one of the later first season episodes if I recall when Steele tried to act like Film Noir tough private eyes and attempt to roll a cigarette and speak like Bogart even, using phrases such as "Now, listen to me, sister!" and whatnot.

Man, it makes me want to watch the series again! :D

Always loved the end credits theme (I believe it's labeled as Laura's theme?) in the earlier seasons.

...And of course, I prefer the opening of the first season.
    1436928374473855782.jpg

Hear! Hear! And the Zygons are so well realised from the beginning. A cracking Tom Baker story, great fun. Must re-watch again sometime soon.

That was my first time watching Terror Of The Zygons, and I really enjoyed it. I'm going to tackle the Key To Time series next. Hopefully it won't feel drawn out as the Trial Of A Timelord did.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    1436928374473855782.jpg

That was my first time watching Terror Of The Zygons, and I really enjoyed it. I'm going to tackle the Key To Time series next. Hopefully it won't feel drawn out as the Trial Of A Timelord did.

Overall TKTT is better than ToATL, there are a few clunky episodes but overall good value. 'The key to time is mine! mwah mwah mwah' (evil laugh).
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 17,297
    After ordering twice due to something going wrong with the delivery from Amazon, I finally got Columbo: The Complete 10 Season Collection, just in time for christmas.

Having seen the first two seasons (which I already have) not that long ago, I jumped straight to season three, and «Lovely But Lethal». Not my favorite episode, but as with any Columbo episode, still solid stuff. The highlight with this episode is the cast, really. Vera Miles plays a Cosmetics queen that kills her former lover/chemist Martin Sheen, and Vincent Price stars as Miles' rival. How about that!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I loved Columbo in the 70s, but seeing some episodes in reruns a few years ago, I realize that most of them are exactly the same. A bit like Bond, come to think of it.
    But, that's the magic of the series, if you ask me. It's kind of predictable, but not without its merits. Besides, Peter Falk is a pleasure to watch on the screen.
    But, that's the magic of the series, if you ask me. It's kind of predictable, but not without its merits. Besides, Peter Falk is a pleasure to watch on the screen.

Absolutely, and Christmas is also the same every year and still we love it.
    image.jpg
    Columbo is such a great show that even when sometimes the final clues aren't great, the episodes still work wonderfully. It's all in the tension between Columbo and the killers. The last episode I watched was Publish or Perish. It was awesome.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 15,423

image.jpg
    True, but I don't know any doctor jokes.

image.jpg

You call her Doctor Jones! Not Doctor Jokes...

image.jpg

Whatever the doctor prescribes.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

image.jpg

Good one.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 17,297
    I loved Columbo in the 70s, but seeing some episodes in reruns a few years ago, I realize that most of them are exactly the same. A bit like Bond, come to think of it.

So is CSI (any of them), NCIS etc. Still watch them!
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Columbo is such a great show that even when sometimes the final clues aren't great, the episodes still work wonderfully. It's all in the tension between Columbo and the killers. The last episode I watched was Publish or Perish. It was awesome.

The joy of watching Columbo is watching him annoy the killer, and eventually solving the crime. Wonderful stuff!

Jack Cassidy is the perfect match to Columbo, no matter the part. Looking forawrd to watching «Publish or Perish» again. One of my favorite episodes. :-)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I think it probably is my favourite series of all time. Consistently excellent and with an incredible roster of actors making guest appearances. The dialogue and score are also quite stellar imho. Network tv doesn't make them like they used to, that's for sure.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I think it probably is my favourite series of all time. Consistently excellent and with an incredible roster of actors making guest appearances. The dialogue and score are also quite stellar imho. Network tv doesn't make them like they used to, that's for sure.

Same here – most of all because the consistent quality. Have yet to see the post-70's episodes, so that will be an interesting experience!