Last TV Show You Watched?

Comments

• I miss The Punisher already!!! Bring me Season 2 ASAP!!

That was some of the bloodiest stuff I've seen- it's hard to imagine him in the same world as Captain America and everyone else!
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 3,333
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    bondsum wrote: »
    The Punisher, Godless, and season two's Stranger Things, have all been sub-par for me. The only exception has been Season 3's Narcos, truly magnificent stuff.

Season three was the weakest of the three for me, but still incredible. I'm guessing they'll make the transition to the Mexico cartels come season four, now that Pablo and Cali are out.
    It's certainly different without Pablo Escobar, but I found the high-tension, double-crossing and cartel transition in the third season truly gripping stuff. Alas, I wasn't gripped by the other three shows I mentioned... and to think DD made me a huge fan of the new Punisher, and yet he didn't get to don his favourite skull T-shirt and do that much punishing. Certainly not as much as he got to do in DD2.

Godless had too much of a PC filter on it for my own tastes. The sort of western that doesn't want to offend anyone apart from the Mormons. Veteran screenwriter Scott Frank mustn't care that much for their brand of religion, I'm willing to guess.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited November 2017 Posts: 40,490
    I've noticed a flourish of PC-related discussions in a lot of period pieces lately. It's pretty jarring because it feels like it's cropping up so consistently in the last decade or two, when this "PC" stuff really took hold and became a non-stop topic. Funny you mention Godless with that, as I literally just hit play on the opening episode. We'll see how it holds up for me.

I won't be watching The Punisher (I genuinely tried with an open heart to get into this universe a couple weeks back, and I couldn't even finish the JJ pilot, it was doing nothing at all for me), and while I did enjoy the second season of Stranger Things, the seventh episode really put a damper on the pacing, and the whole thing felt pretty predictable throughout. Definitely not as good as the first season the more I dwell on it.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Wait until you see season 2 of Daredevil! It'll blow your socks off!
    Just picked it up along with season 1 of The Punisher and Stranger Things 1 & 2. Lots to get to!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Marvels Inhumans episode 5 this show had fallen into the it's so bad it's funny category though the way they are dragging out a weak story is becoming tiresome, my guess is subsequent episodes will have the brakes on until the finale.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Marvels Inhumans episode 5 this show had fallen into the it's so bad it's funny category though the way they are dragging out a weak story is becoming tiresome, my guess is subsequent episodes will have the brakes on until the finale.

You are not entirely wrong. There's a bit of a pickup in the finale. I'm not sorry I watched the show, but it will never rank up there with the greats.
    I've noticed a flourish of PC-related discussions in a lot of period pieces lately. It's pretty jarring because it feels like it's cropping up so consistently in the last decade or two, when this "PC" stuff really took hold and became a non-stop topic. Funny you mention Godless with that, as I literally just hit play on the opening episode. We'll see how it holds up for me.
    Sign of the times, I'm afraid. Deadwood is still the best TV western to have graced our small screens IMO. There's still some enjoyment to be had from Godless, so long as you're prepared to overlook its faults. I'd give it a C+ for effort. Must try harder next time, Scott Frank.
    Sign of the times, I'm afraid. Deadwood is still the best TV western to have graced our small screens IMO. There's still some enjoyment to be had from Godless, so long as you're prepared to overlook its faults. I'd give it a C+ for effort. Must try harder next time, Scott Frank.

I'm still torn between rewatching Deadwood in the near future, and saving the rewatch before the inevitable movie adaptation that I hope they're still planning on putting out eventually.
    A Deadwood movie is a mouth-watering prospect @Creasy47. Though it's my understanding that according to HBO chief Casey Bloys that he wanted to ensure that a movie would be accessible to viewers who haven't seen the original series, and that David Milch's new script has indeed made good on that promise with a superb script. So you can rewatch Deadwood with no fear of it crossing over into the same territory. I'm willing to wager David Milch's new script knocks Scott Frank's C+ effort into a cocked hat.
    A Deadwood movie is a mouth-watering prospect @Creasy47. Though it's my understanding that according to HBO chief Casey Bloys that he wanted to ensure that a movie would be accessible to viewers who haven't seen the original series, and that David Milch's new script has indeed made good on that promise with a superb script. So you can rewatch Deadwood with no fear of it crossing over into the same territory. I'm willing to wager David Milch's new script knocks Scott Frank's C+ effort into a cocked hat.

Damn good point you brought up there; in that case, you've sold me, and I'm going to re-watch it soon. Maybe I'll try and get through Godless and Deadwood after (starting the former up right now - didn't make any progress on it the other day), with plans to jump to that new German Netflix Original show, and THEN maybe a rewatch of Peaky Blinders before the entire fourth season hits Netflix. I can't wait for that last one, in particular.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

You are not entirely wrong. There's a bit of a pickup in the finale. I'm not sorry I watched the show, but it will never rank up there with the greats.

I'll stick with it until the end though I can see why it was canceled, Agents of Shield is a good and sometimes great show, I am suprised Inhumans was no where near Agents of Shield standard.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Not to mention, the character of Louise (Ellen Woglom) being a carbon copy of both Felicity Smoak (Emily Bett Richards) and Kara Danvers (Melissa Benoist) without the Supergirl alter ego.
    Not to mention, the character of Louise (Ellen Woglom) being a carbon copy of both Felicity Smoak (Emily Bett Richards) and Kara Danvers (Melissa Benoist) without the Supergirl alter ego.

I noticed the similarity immediately, the show is random how the Inhumans have befriended random humans they run into, it really does remind me of 90's shows like Baywatch.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start

I'll stick with it until the end though I can see why it was canceled, Agents of Shield is a good and sometimes great show, I am suprised Inhumans was no where near Agents of Shield standard.

That's what happens when a Marvel exec rushes a show through a showrunner who ruined Iron Fist.

That's what happens when a Marvel exec rushes a show through a showrunner who ruined Iron Fist.

Now that makes sense, Iron Fist is arguably better though it's been a struggle to watch.
    To be honest, I myself only watched the highlights of both Jessica Jones and Iron Fist as they didn't grab my interest at all. I had a look at the highlights to see how far they've come in The Defenders which I have watched in full.
    The Punisher, Godless, and season two's Stranger Things, have all been sub-par for me. The only exception has been Season 3's Narcos, truly magnificent stuff.

Season three was the weakest of the three for me, but still incredible. I'm guessing they'll make the transition to the Mexico cartels come season four, now that Pablo and Cali are out.
    It's certainly different without Pablo Escobar, but I found the high-tension, double-crossing and cartel transition in the third season truly gripping stuff. Alas, I wasn't gripped by the other three shows I mentioned... and to think DD made me a huge fan of the new Punisher, and yet he didn't get to don his favourite skull T-shirt and do that much punishing. Certainly not as much as he got to do in DD2.

Godless had too much of a PC filter on it for my own tastes. The sort of western that doesn't want to offend anyone apart from the Mormons. Veteran screenwriter Scott Frank mustn't care that much for their brand of religion, I'm willing to guess.

I got through nearly two episodes before I had to call it quits. The PC level was at a high in this one, which I don't remotely care to see in an 1884-set western. Pacing was all over the place, too, and it seemed to linger more on what I felt were supporting characters rather than the main cast. Maybe that changes in later episodes, but I don't care enough to find out. On to a different show now.
    Dark

Only an episode in, but this new Netflix Original might trump Stranger Things for me (the similarities are astounding, alongside some moments/outfits that immediately make me think of IT). It's incredibly moody and seems to take things a lot more serious than the aforementioned Netflix show. Everything on screen is also elevated by some seriously striking cinematography and a wonderful score. Can't wait to binge through this this weekend.
    Daredevil Season 2 (2016)
    RC2pmiZ.jpg
    In the second season the Man Without Fear has to confront another vigilante in Frank Castle aka The Punisher (played by Jon Bernthal). Castle is a man so blinded by pain and anger that he has no compunction about killing for vengeance, unlike Matt Murdock. If that wasn't enough, he also has to deal with an old flame in Elektra Natchios (played by Elodie Yung) who creates complications in Matt's life. The mysterious Hand also wreaks havoc in Hell's Kitchen, as they search for their leader Black Sky. All of this causes problems for Matt's personal life, negatively impacting a budding romance with Karen and his friendship with Foggy. Ultimately he has to come to terms with who he is and where his priorities are, at great personal cost.

I really enjoyed this season and think it was as good as the first. Season three can't get here soon enough. Deborah Ann Woll is fast becoming one of my favourite actresses too.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,395
    Remington Steele I was channel hoping and found this on 5USA channel, not watched this since the 80's PB was so skinny in this. It's a early episode in season 2 though I'll record the rest as it's amusing. In this episode they just played a dodgy Bond Theme ripoff :))

I've never seen Remington Steele, but from those clips above one could readily see what kind of Bond Brosnan was going to be. He pretty much carried the same shtick into his Bond role.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I've never seen Remington Steele, but from those clips above one could readily see what kind of Bond Brosnan was going to be. He pretty much carried the same shtick into his Bond role.

I watched two episodes it's better than I remember it, the episodes I watched they were really pushing the James Bond comparison there was a scene similar to LALD with Steele hanging from a paraglider pulled by a speed boat.

I watched two episodes it's better than I remember it, the episodes I watched they were really pushing the James Bond comparison there was a scene similar to LALD with Steele hanging from a paraglider pulled by a speed boat.
    I've been meaning to check it out at some point. I've heard the show is a bit like Moonlighting, which I enjoy. So I may like it.

I've been meaning to check it out at some point. I've heard the show is a bit like Moonlighting, which I enjoy. So I may like it.

It's of its time for sure though it's good fun, I'll record all the episodes, yes there is definitely a kind of Maddy Hayes and David Addison dynamic with Brozza and the female Co star who is good in the role.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    TWIN PEAKS season three.

Just watched the first double episode. This is more bizarre than ever, and I love it.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 684
    I heartily recommend Amazon's The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. It's about a female standup comic in New York during the 1950s. Just finished watching this first season, which debuted last week. Having caught the pilot earlier this year in March or so, I was sad then there wasn't more. I'm sad now that this initial season was only 8 episodes.

Best original show I've yet seen from Amazon ('cause Grand Tour is just Top Gear). Probably my second favorite season of a show this year, actually.
    TWIN PEAKS season three.

Just watched the first double episode. This is more bizarre than ever, and I love it.
    Speaking of my first favorite... ;)

Glad to see you're finally getting around to it. You're in for a treat.
    Just to point out, Remington Steele didn’t have the Bond act in Brosnan. It had a mixture of Sir Charles Lytton and Inspector Clouseau in him. I don’t recall Brosnan’s Bond being goofy, clumsy and comical.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,395
    Just to point out, Remington Steele didn’t have the Bond act in Brosnan. It had a mixture of Sir Charles Lytton and Inspector Clouseau in him. I don’t recall Brosnan’s Bond being goofy, clumsy and comical.

Agree with the more lighter moments that Steele is a mixture of Sir Charles Lytton and Inspector Clouseau , though in the few serious moments I have watched Brosbond is there in Remington Steele.
    TWIN PEAKS season three.

Enjoy the ride Lynch out does himself with this incredible series.
    Dark

Yep, that was much better than Stranger Things, which I already loved. Incredible cliffhanger teasing what's to come, provided it gets a second season order. I'm already dying to see it.
    The Punisher Season One (2017)
    t6Fj3My.jpg
    I just finished season two of Daredevil, where Frank Castle’s Punisher was one of the primary antagonists. When I realized there was an entire season focused on the character I sought it out. This is a very different kind of show, & is more ‘real’, gritty, & less fantastical. It also starts off quite slow and takes its time to get going, with a lot of focus initially on Frank’s inner demons. Once it does pick up pace midway though it’s very violent and bloody, as can be expected. The show centres on a conspiracy involving folks from Castle's military past. He links up with David Lieberman (Ebon Moss-Bacharach), a computer nerd surveilling the city, who assists him to get to the bottom of it. Hot on his trail is intrepid Department of Homeland agent Madani (Amber Rose Revah). Ben Barnes has a meaty role as well, as one of Castle’s old army buddies Billy Russo, & Deborah Ann Woll reprises her role as Karen Page from Daredevil in a few episodes.

Jon Bernthal impresses as Castle. He has gravitas and delivers a multi-layered & compelling tortured performance. The rest of the cast is really good too and all the characters have depth. Looking forward to a season two of this show eventually.