Last TV Show You Watched?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The Sopranos

I've finally dug into this show in a consistent manner - tried the premiere twice before and never made it past it - but I'm up to season three and really loving this show. Tugs at the heartstrings quite a lot with how attached you get to some of these characters, and damn, is the acting/cast list on point for this show, especially the cameos (including one from the beautiful Cigar Girl from TWINE).
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 684
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    The Sopranos

I've finally dug into this show in a consistent manner - tried the premiere twice before and never made it past it - but I'm up to season three and really loving this show. Tugs at the heartstrings quite a lot with how attached you get to some of these characters, and damn, is the acting/cast list on point for this show, especially the cameos (including one from the beautiful Cigar Girl from TWINE).
    I've only ever seen the 'Pine Barrens' episode (was told it was one of the best episodes of television ever and got curious). I did enjoy it, but for some reason I've never gone back and watched more.
    Strog wrote: »
    The Sopranos

I've only ever seen the 'Pine Barrens' episode (was told it was one of the best episodes of television ever and got curious). I did enjoy it, but for some reason I've never gone back and watched more.

That one doesn't sound familiar to me, so I must not have reached it yet. Just started S3E3. I've wanted to look up what the fan favorite episodes are, but I figured they'd be filled with spoilers so I've been holding off.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Pine Barrens was directed by Steve Buscemi and it's a Pauly & Christopher centric episode, if you'd seen it you'd know, definitely one of the very best episodes.

For me Soprano's only has the Wire that betters it like that the acting is impecable and t James Gandolfini gives one of the all time greatest performances in history small or big screen.

The final episode is for me one of the greatest sign offs of any TV show and the way it ends couldn't have been better. Those that were outraged obviously didn't properly understand the series they were watching.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I bought the first series of this show when it was originally released on dvd, due to the 4 years gap between the release of the first and second series, I sold of my copy of the first series. I recently bought the complete series, and have been working my way through...

The Equalizer
    mccallequalizer.jpg
    Series 1
    Episode 5:
    Lady Cop
    Macall comes to the aid of a young police officer to help bring down her corrupt partner.
    I Know Who You Are, Spanish thriller on BBC Four. It's excellent.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Marvel's The Punisher:

The-Punisher-poster-2.jpg

"One batch. Two batch. Penny and a dime."

Ever since making a debut in Season 2 of Netflix's Daredevil television series, Jon Bernthal immediately became my favourite actor to portray Frank Castle/The Punisher with the greatest characterization of the titular hero in live action format. Forget about Ray Stevenson and sure as hell forget about Thomas Jane and Dolph Lundgren. Due to the positive reception the character has received, Netflix gave Bernthal his own series.

Taking place after the events of the first season of The Defenders, Castle has gone into hiding, trying to live his life peacefully while still grieving for the death of his entire family. But, he is lured out of the shadows when the story behind the murder of his loved ones proved to be bigger than he ever expected, with the government in itself involved. Rattled and enraged, Castle takes matters in his own hands, and goes after the heads of those who did him wrong.

Jon Bernthal excels at being Frank Castle who deserves a very worthy applause. The more I watched the guy, the more the comics started flashing before my eyes, especially the efforts of Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon thrown in. The 2000 comic book The Punisher is a must for the lovers of the franchise by the aforementioned authors. The series starts rather slowly, building up to the main problem until Castle and his ally, Micro, decide how to approach the matter and take down those who should be punished. The last four episodes is exactly where the series peaks at for me when Frank shows progression in his case against the antagonists. I'm trying not to place spoilers, mind?

However, the series isn't without its problems. There is a character who started out a subplot I felt complete unnecessary, unwarranted and unneeded, playing a political part on lean to one side against the other, which I despise wholeheartedly when TV series do, demonizing one group and championing the other. That one character whom I won't mention didn't even exist in the comics and was modeled after a real life criminal terrorist, labeled as a representative of certain group of people all wrongfully, also portraying combat veterans as trigger-happy evil men. Boy, do I hate that!

Other problems include humanizing Frank Castle physically too much. He was getting caught by the enemy more than he should, getting near-fatally shot at more times than I could count, the writers did all those things to enforce drama and vulnerability. Sorry, but that's not the way to do it. The Punisher was a lot stronger and skilled in Daredevil, why dial it down? This is a fictional comic book universe. Not real-life. Don't try to portray "realism" for the sake of it.

Overall, an enjoyable series. Recommended for The Punisher fans.

You know what I'd love?

@Creasy47 and @DaltonCraig007 hear me out on this:

A Punisher film starring Jon Bernthal, written, produced and directed by Gareth Evans of The Raid fame. Thoughts, gentlemen?
    edited November 2017 Posts: 40,492
    @ClarkDevlin, my ass would be in the movie theater day one for that. Did you hear Evans' announcement today that he's doing an HBO gangland type series? Should be bloody and amazing.

@Shardlake, I got to Pine Barrens this morning and it was incredible and tense. Genuinely had no clue which way it would go. I'm up to season four now, and I'm eager to see if they end up ever running into that Russian again, or if that's that. Don't spoil it for me!
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    My three favorite shows:
    .The Sopranos
    .Sons of Anarchy
    .Miami Vice
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    @Creasy47, yep I heard! :D The good old @DaltonCraig007 posted it earlier. I figure Gangs of London would be Evans' take on the Lock, Stock/Snatch type of things. Can't wait!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Still going through Kung Fu... praise Buddha this is such a great series.... the 70's... not every episode is perfect, but such is life.... nearing the end of season two and loving every minute of it.
    The Sopranos

Halfway through season 6A, and with the way this final season seems to be split I'm not sure just how much I have left. Though I have had the last week off, so I've pathetically binged nearly the entirety of this show in a matter of days.

I generally don't buy into "Best Of" lists, as I almost always find a way to disagree along the way, but damn if this isn't genuinely one of, if not the greatest show I've ever watched. I can see where countless other shows have copied the format of some of these episodes (looking at you, I'm-in-a-dream episodes) and failed miserably at replicating how perfect this show truly is.

Just like Oz, I'll be torn once this ends because I'll have no clue what to watch after, for surely it doesn't get much better than this.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Creasy47, I can rarely binge watch anything (I prefer to space viewings out) but your experience with Sopranos was mine with Breaking Bad. It was the show I got Netflix to finally watch and to that point I had avoided it because I didn't think it would ever live up to the insane hype I'd have to listen to constantly. Well, sure enough I gave it a shot during easter break in my sophomore year of college and as those four or five days of holiday vacation passed so did all 5 seasons and 60 plus episodes of that show into my brain. I've never been that addicted to a cause before when it comes to watching a show and I remember blowing off eating or sleeping because I just had to see the next episode.

I've only seen bits and pieces of Sopranos but it's one I think I know too much about now to properly enjoy. Maybe one day, along with The Wire.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The Sopranos

Halfway through season 6A, and with the way this final season seems to be split I'm not sure just how much I have left. Though I have had the last week off, so I've pathetically binged nearly the entirety of this show in a matter of days.

I generally don't buy into "Best Of" lists, as I almost always find a way to disagree along the way, but damn if this isn't genuinely one of, if not the greatest show I've ever watched. I can see where countless other shows have copied the format of some of these episodes (looking at you, I'm-in-a-dream episodes) and failed miserably at replicating how perfect this show truly is.

Just like Oz, I'll be torn once this ends because I'll have no clue what to watch after, for surely it doesn't get much better than this.

Little Steven did a sort-of follow-up with the Norwegian series Lillyhammer, which is a fun show.
    edited November 2017 Posts: 4,043
    The Sopranos

It is one of the most influential shows of all time I would say, it was only when I saw The Wire I had to admit it was for me at least a better show.

I initially ignored The Wire as I kept hearing it was better than The Soprano's but when I was about half way through Season 2 I had to admit it, by the time I got to S4 it was without doubt.

The Soprano's is a masterpiece and like The Wire a program with tremendous depth and complexity but something about The Wire just edges it for me, the Dickensian style of it, it also accomplishes all it needs to in 5 stunning seasons.

The Soprano's though I think made it possible for The Wire and all that followed like Breaking Bad, Narcos etc. to be possible, I don't imagine a mob show like it ever again. The idea to focus on his blood family and his mob family and how they intertwine was a stroke of genius.

@Creasy47 I will be most intrigued for your take on the end of the show, I think it's a stroke of genius personally and if you like I can share a theory I found on line, it although David Chase has refuted it that makes it even more so right how decided to end the series.

I recently got rid of all my DVD boxset's and used the money to invest in the Blu ray box set of the series so will be at some point plunging back into the world Tony Soprano once again, it gets better when you watch it again as it reveals even more layers just like The Wire.

Also recently finished S1 of The Deuce and was hugely impressed another David Simon HBO triumph, can't wait for S2, both Franco & Gyllenhall have been utterly superb and the supporting cast fantastic.
    If it ever makes it to 4K I'll definitely pick this show up. It's so easily rewatchable.

The Wire is one of the last "big" HBO shows I still need to get to, and hopefully soon after finishing this. Another classic one I'd have to recommend is Deadwood. In fact I could use a rewatch of it.

I'll be done with Season 6A tonight, so I'll be sure to share my thoughts! Nearly on Episode 10 now. Episode 9 was an incredible episode, as always.

And yes, The Deuce was terrific and engaging, I thought. I was upset it only had eight episodes, but didn't mind as much knowing they greenlit the second season so quickly.
    edited November 2017 Posts: 4,043
    If it ever makes it to 4K I'll definitely pick this show up. It's so easily rewatchable.

The Wire is one of the last "big" HBO shows I still need to get to, and hopefully soon after finishing this. Another classic one I'd have to recommend is Deadwood. In fact I could use a rewatch of it.

I'll be done with Season 6A tonight, so I'll be sure to share my thoughts! Nearly on Episode 10 now. Episode 9 was an incredible episode, as always.

And yes, The Deuce was terrific and engaging, I thought. I was upset it only had eight episodes, but didn't mind as much knowing they greenlit the second season so quickly.

If you digged The Deuce I can't see why you won't love The Wire, the hallmarks of the show are all in there, the slow burn, the characterisations and the courage to show the ugly side of characters and not soft soap it.

This is where Idris Elba made his bones and if you want to see why some of us see him in such high regard then the evidence is all here. Dominic West is incredible as is Michael K Williams, the cast of this show is just outstanding, Andre Royo as Bubbles is another.

The dense story telling the complexity of the characters, the not afraid to show all shades of someone however it might turn the viewer against a character you've likely invested in, it's all there, Police drama's have never had this level of scrutiny it really is once in a life time TV.
    I've already gotten that vibe from this show: your favorite character can turn and do the most despicable thing in one episode, calling into question everything you thought about them, before they redeem themselves a few episodes later.

The Wire is high up on my list of must see shows. I think I might try Netflix's Godless miniseries and catch up on a few movies I have wanted to see, and then I'll start this one.
    Just watched the last 2 new episodes of Supergirl, and [SPOILERS] Mon-El has a Wife from his 7 year warp absence from Earth, and Kara's sister's love interest seems to have been thankfully discarded... maybe this series can get back on track with sheer superheroics and Kara's self discovery as another of Earth's heroes (like the awesome first season) instead of the soap opera antics of MOST of season 2 & the first bit of THIS season... we'll see. Here's hoping...
    kp00r1q1phckmoq4oxth.jpg
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Iron Fist onto episode 7 this has been a slog to watch though I am determined to watch it all before watching The Defenders and Punisher.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    At this rate, catching up with the Marvel shows as they currently are will be impossible. Not only am I not a binge watcher, I also have to watch things in sequence. I can't watch Luke Cage without rewatching Jessica Jones, I can't watch Punisher without rewatching Daredevil and I can't see The Defenders without rewatching the solo shows that lead up to it, etc.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited November 2017 Posts: 23,395
    At this rate, catching up with the Marvel shows as they currently are will be impossible. Not only am I not a binge watcher, I also have to watch things in sequence. I can't watch Luke Cage without rewatching Jessica Jones, I can't watch Punisher without rewatching Daredevil and I can't see The Defenders without rewatching the solo shows that lead up to it, etc.

I have watched Jessica Jones and Luke Cage first seasons enjoyed both, still stuck on season 1 of Daredevil unfortunately I don't have time to blast through them and tend to prioritise Arrow Verse shows. I am working alot of overtime, actually watching Iron Fist at work, I struggle with this show as I think it's poorly cast and the fight choreography has been sub standard so far.

350?cb=20160711004834&path-prefix=en

Kirk meets the Klingons, one of the best Star Trek episodes, I have been watching this show for over 35 years, it's timeless the better episodes improve further with time.

Kirk meets the Klingons, one of the best Star Trek episodes, I have been watching this show for over 35 years, it's timeless the better episodes improve further with time.
    Yes, the original series episodes were like stage plays the writing was often so good. Hmmmm... remastered I see...
    chrisisall wrote: »

Yes, the original series episodes were like stage plays the writing was often so good. Hmmmm... remastered I see...

Yeah had the Blurays of season 1 - 3 for a few years now, the additional effects in Errand of Mercy work well, especially seeing the whole Klingon fleet it ups the threat level toward the Enterprise.
    The Sopranos

As incredibly bittersweet as this feeling is, I have finally completed the show. Was completely on edge those last two episodes, palms sweaty and heart beating like a racehorse. It's only my first viewing of the series, so I'm no expert and haven't really delved into theories too much, but what I got from those last few moments and really like to think is "true" is:
    I say Tony died. The show constantly calls on a lot of mobster classics, and as soon as the guy in the jacket that kept eyeing Tony went into the bathroom, I immediately thought of Pacino exiting the bathroom and cutting those guys down in The Godfather. As soon as Tony looks up expecting to see Meadow come through the door, it completely cuts to black, both the footage and the song. I'm guessing Meadow entering the restaurant coincided with the jacket guy exiting the bathroom and shooting him, and that's why we see nothing, because Tony's point of view was that final few seconds of black nothingness before the credits rolled.
  • I'm a huge fan of The Sopranos. I wouldn't hesitate to say it's the best television show ever made.
    I think the great thing about the ending of the show is that it doesn't actually show Tony getting gunned down. Whether it happened that night or not, the final scene definitely illustrates what Tony's life has become - almost all of the characters he surrounded himself with since the first season are dead, which I think would force him to live each day looking over his shoulder wondering when his time would be up.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I've recently caught up on latest seasons of old favourites and first seasons of shows I had not seen before:

Ray Donovan Season 5
    amqrZkM.jpg
    This show has impressed over the course of its run and this season continued to do the same. The first two episodes were a bit surreal and strange, as the producers took a novel approach by starting everything off some time after a major event had occurred and then filling in the blanks as the show unfolded. The show gets moving after episode three and finds its customary rhythm. The recurring cast are all excellent as always, but Liev Schreiber, Jon Voight and Eddie Marsan are particularly good this time out. Susan Sarandon has a guest starring role.

House of Cards Season 5
    j3oMzTo.jpg
    This has been one of my favourite shows over the years, but this season left me somewhat disappointed. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it seemed disjointed and unfocused. Moreover, both Frank and Claire Underwood as written appeared far more cynical and less appealing than before. This is not a function of the actors, who are still as interesting as ever, but more due to the writing. In the past, despite what they got up to, they were always endearing to me in that JR Ewing (so bad they're good) sort of way, but some of that has been lost here. I later learned that series creator Beau Willimon was not involved for season 5, and that may explain it. I hope they can get it back up to standards for the sixth and last round, even if Spacey is not involved.

Daredevil Season 1
    H7tWXR8.jpg
    I had heard a lot of good things about this Netflix series, and was quite looking forward to finally seeing it. The show definitely lived up to expectations. It's well written, well cast and well acted. Most of the show is shot at night and in dark alleys, and it has a moody/rainy feel reminiscent of the early scenes in Batman Begins (before Wayne perfected his batsuit). The fight sequences are visceral and very well choreographed. Charlie Cox is excellent as Matt Murdock aka Daredevil and both Deborah Ann Woll and Elden Henson provide worthy support as his law firm co-workers/friends. The real standout thought is Vincent D'Onofrio in a pivotal role. Rosario Dawson and Ayelet Zurer co-star.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    bondjames wrote: »
    I've recently caught up on latest seasons of old favourites and first seasons of shows I had not seen before:

Ray Donovan Season 5
    amqrZkM.jpg
    This show has impressed over the course of its run and this season continued to do the same. The first two episodes were a bit surreal and strange, as the producers took a novel approach by starting everything off some time after a major event had occurred and then filling in the blanks as the show unfolded. The show gets moving after episode three and finds its customary rhythm. The recurring cast are all excellent as always, but Liev Schreiber, Jon Voight and Eddie Marsan are particularly good this time out. Susan Sarandon has a guest starring role.

House of Cards Season 5
    j3oMzTo.jpg
    This has been one of my favourite shows over the years, but this season left me somewhat disappointed. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it seemed disjointed and unfocused. Moreover, both Frank and Claire Underwood as written appeared far more cynical and less appealing than before. This is not a function of the actors, who are still as interesting as ever, but more due to the writing. In the past, despite what they got up to, they were always endearing to me in that JR Ewing (so bad they're good) sort of way, but some of that has been lost here. I later learned that series creator Beau Willimon was not involved for season 5, and that may explain it. I hope they can get it back up to standards for the sixth and last round, even if Spacey is not involved.

Daredevil Season 1
    H7tWXR8.jpg
    I had heard a lot of good things about this Netflix series, and was quite looking forward to finally seeing it. The show definitely lived up to expectations. It's well written, well cast and well acted. Most of the show is shot at night and in dark alleys, and it has a moody/rainy feel reminiscent of the early scenes in Batman Begins (before Wayne perfected his batsuit). The fight sequences are visceral and very well choreographed. Charlie Cox is excellent as Matt Murdock aka Daredevil and both Deborah Ann Woll and Elden Henson provide worthy support as his law firm co-workers/friends. The real standout thought is Vincent D'Onofrio in a pivotal role. Rosario Dawson and Ayelet Zurer co-star.

Wait until you see season 2 of Daredevil! It'll blow your socks off!
    The Punisher, Godless, and season two's Stranger Things, have all been sub-par for me. The only exception has been Season 3's Narcos, truly magnificent stuff.
    bondsum wrote: »
    The Punisher, Godless, and season two's Stranger Things, have all been sub-par for me. The only exception has been Season 3's Narcos, truly magnificent stuff.

Season three was the weakest of the three for me, but still incredible. I'm guessing they'll make the transition to the Mexico cartels come season four, now that Pablo and Cali are out.